• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Changes you would like to see done to link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Here's what I want:

- Overall sped up

- when holding a bomb by hitting and/or holding b your arrow becomes a bomb arrow.

- kill potential from forward smash increased

- less recovery after a whiffed grab

- can go down fast with dair similar to toon link.

- can now hold or mash a to do multiple sword slashes (could do this in melee cept for the holding part)

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I'd like to see Link become less campy and be more of a combo based character. Here's a couple ideas I had:
-Movement speed increased
-Fall speed decreased
-Arrows replaced by chargeable sword beam or skyward strike which fully charged has knockback similar to the base knockback of Lucario's fully charged aura sphere, or maybe Samus' charge beam, but that might be a bit OP
-Forward smash is replaced by a shield bash with super armor similar to Wario's fsmash.
-Up smash has increased kill potential
-Receives his jab from melee
-Tilts come out faster, but have slightly less knockback
-Only the second hit of back air has knockback ensuring that both hits connect unless the opponent DIs correctly
-Clawshot becomes a command grab and replaces Gale Boomerang, but still functions as an attack when used in the air.
-Link is wearing the Gold Gauntlets which allow him to lift his opponents with ease, thus giving him a close range grab.
-Up throw becomes a suplex that stage spikes and can kill at high percents
I also have an idea for a new down throw, but it might be too graphic for Smash, I think it'd be cool if he slit his opponents throat then let them down gently, it would work similarly to Snake's down throw setting them up for tech chases. Also, he should get a new fair, but I can't think of what would replace his current one.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
As a Link Mainer myself. I'd love to see

-Up-B actually seem to save your life when you can't jump anymore after getting knocked 45 degres off the arena and somehow still lives -happens to me a lot-
-have his Neutral B be able to move your arrow but idk-
-since I'm getting 3DS version and the Link looks like the one from TP I'd love to see the Clawshot again-
-just make him a good character to begin with so he's not always on the bottom of the tier list which frustrates me-

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Well... here we go again.

Up B
- Chargeable in mid-air for increased aerial kill capacity and increased recovery when needed.
- I wouldn't hate if the spin-attack radius increased with charge as it has done in some Zelda games.

Side B
- Can pick up small items it touches. If Link isn't holding anything, he picks them up when grabbing the boomerang.
- Either get rid of the wind mechanic or make it pull enemies more reliably.

Neutral B
- Reach full charge faster.
- Controls like the cracker launcher, meaning:
--- Can be aimed up and down.
--- Can walk slowly while using it.
--- Can jump once.
- Arrow pierces multiple targets.
- Arrow knocks enemies in the direction the arrow's moving slightly.
- Turns into a Bomb Arrow if Link is holding a bomb when he draws the bow. The Bomb Arrow would explode and disappear after hitting just one target, but could KO at higher %s.

Down B
- I think it'd be more interesting if the bomb only detonated if attacked and after the timer runs out.
- That disadvantage would be balanced by making it do higher damage and knockback.
- As said before: Part of a bomb arrow combination.

Standard Attacks
- I would like his A attacks to more closely align with his moves in the actual Zelda games. I mean... come on.
- Jab to be replaced with a shield bash that is similar to Ganondorf's jab.
- More reliable connection between his multi-hit moves.
- Forward Smash returned to him leaping forward
- Running attack should a quick move where he charges with his sword out, like his attack with the Pegasus Boots.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Faster speed, better recovery, less lag on attacks and grabs, and change his side special to the beetle from skyward sword.

D

Deleted member

Make him faster and more agile as well as buff his recovery.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
1. Less startup and cooldown on most of Link's moveset
2. Better mobility/speed overall
3. Better options out of shield
4. Better recovery overall

Other ideas:

- His grab similar to Olimar's grab, but still keeping his grab armor.
- Increase aerial grab box for the whole length of the grab
- Up-b frame 1 on startup
- Dtilt is similiar to Meta Knight/Marth
- Aimable bow
- Bombs work like Snake's grenades in which they can be dropped on shielding
- Interchangeable (cancelable) special moveset (Arrows/bombs/boomerang replaced with another set of tools); change special movest via taunt input as a suggestion

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I personally think, from a creative standpoint, it'd be cool for Skyward Strike/Sword Beam to be Link's new B move, while Boomerang and Bow share the Side B slot. In the air it would be Boomerang, and on the ground the Bow would function like it does in Soul Caliber II.

For gameplay reasons, basically whats been said since forever.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Some changes would be quite appreciated! In Brawl and here Link is rather...boring...really overshadowed by the more expressive Toon Link. So why not give Link some personality? And more things unique to him rather than some wind on his boomerang! How about that whole 'turning into a wolf' thing? Anything that could be done with that? Hopefully as his final smash I suppose.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Wouldn't it be really cool if Link could fire sword beams - but only while he is at 0%, referencing the original Legend of Zelda?
All of his sword moves could fire a short-distance blue projectile that would do 3-5%. This would stop if he takes any damage - but he'd get the ability back if he heals back down to 0%.

Morbi

Scavenger
I want him to be his Melee version. Just un-nerf him and I am good. It would be great to see some dramatic changes that bump him out of bottom tier though. I would just be fine if they gave him his boomerang back.

mantlecore77

Smash Journeyman
qdMbp's ideas have sounded really great so far.

A brief list:

In general:
-More combo options
-Slightly higher priority for certain moves (D-tilt, F-tilt, U-air)
-Less lag for grab, tilts, & standard A combo
-More kill power for smashes (WHY CANT I LAUNCH OLIMAR OFF WITH DSMASH WHEN HE HAS 120%????)

I see a lot of people saying he needs better recovery. However, I always liked the balances from Smash that keep some people better as aerial fighters, recovery masters, combo stringers, etc. Link is an adventurer and a swordsmen! He hardly jumps in the Zelda games I've played. He's all about dexterity and clever thinking, along with aptitutde with the sword. Keep his recovery weak but give him so more horizontal range with the Up-B. Give him a TINY boost with recovery ability--other than that his fall speed and attack range should make him a solid smasher.

Specific requests...

B: -Like qdMbp said, make his bow more versatile. I think his idea for walking with the bow, a single jump option, and directional control are simple and realistic ideas. Pit can do it, why not the finest archer in Hyrule?

UpB: Make it rechargable in the air for the slight edge for recovery. Less lag on the land, longer-lasting hitbox.

SideB: This one's tricky. On one hand, the Gale Boomerang can be tricky and useful and a good defensive tool if used right. This is my experience, anyway. On the other hand, seeing a traditional boomerang with high speed and priority (like in 64) would be a great change up! Overall, add a percent or two to a standard hit.

DownB: The only idea I have for this is giving a shout out to Skyward Sword. Pressing DownB lets Link roll it quickly across the stage; in the air, it explodes automatically, resetting his second jump, etc.

Z: LESS LAG ON GRAB PLZ, if not another foot of range?

USmash: More kill power

FSmash: More kill power

DSmash: More kill power

Tilts: Tiny bit less lag

Jumps: Leave 'em be!

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I see a lot of people saying he needs better recovery. However, I always liked the balances from Smash that keep some people better as aerial fighters, recovery masters, combo stringers, etc. Link is an adventurer and a swordsmen! He hardly jumps in the Zelda games I've played. He's all about dexterity and clever thinking, along with aptitutde with the sword. Keep his recovery weak but give him so more horizontal range with the Up-B. Give him a TINY boost with recovery ability--other than that his fall speed and attack range should make him a solid smasher.
His recovery at least needs to be as good as it is on Melee/P:M, it was just abyssmal on Brawl.

Thor

Smash Champion
My thoughts (Link main in Melee, picking up TL in Brawl for stupid ICs...):

Utilt - less ending lag - string it better then. Would also makes it great for utilt->dair (if faster jumps).

Jumps - slightly higher base jump, higher second jump (as far as he can tell he doesn't jump much better than Ike, yet Ike's recovery is way better when they're both low). Jumps faster.

Up+B - Frame one would be nuts (so good OoS), but maybe Frame 6 is still good? (that'd be Pika dsmash speed...). Make it go both higher and farther. Charging would be interesting, but don't then make it like Diddy's recovery (needs to charge to not suck). Actually just don't use charging as a reason to make the uncharged version suck. Semi-spike on it?

Hookshot - maybe bring back the ability to grapple stages? A few frames less lag on ground, but don't add lag frames to landing after aerial hookshot.

Side+B: No more gale boomerang - I'd prefer a more 64/Melee boomerang - and throw it faster - but if it is gale boomerang maybe 40% chance of tripping (not a random trip because it's forced) if you try to jump while being touched by it on the way back? (Combo set ups, risk of jumping out, etc.). Also would drag you in shield (think it already does so) to set up grabs.

B: Arrows are fine, but buff them - faster etc... Trying to think of something cool for this... Maybe building off of PixelPasta's idea, Link charges himself up with Neutral B and while fully charged, press B (charge is whatever, maybe giant punch time or something, one to six frames (ie could be 1,2,etc. for the activation) and you start to fire sword beams? Could then deactivate it by pressing B again (maybe like 12 frames, but three frame to deactivate and nine lag) if you think you might get hit to keep the full charge instead of having to charge again (also if you want to go in for a smash or something where trades may occur). Charge would dissipate upon being hit while it's active, but not until then. So unlikely but would be so cool.

Down+B - let Link bomb-jump (or buff his recovery even more than I could hope). Bombs should knock people either up or toward the bomb - knocking them away promotes camping more than it should, but up/toward is more comboish.

Other stuff - Fair come out faster, dsmash kill earlier (maybe they used Pikmin Order (just kidding mantlecore77)), Fsmash first hit has more IASA frames, nair should be Melee like, would list more but don't want to completely spoil Link, a lot of what has been previously said seems pretty interesting

Spoling Link, but give Link a jab-grab? As a whole, he needs first and foremost better up+b recovery range, and then other stuff - getting gimped so early just sucks...

D

Deleted member

well since melee link has been the strongest so far all around, they need to use that version of link as a template for this one.

brawl link had a fairly strong zoning game so that would be good to keep.

UnwarySlinky

Smash Rookie
I highly doubt this will come to be, but I'm going to write it out anyways.

I think it would be cool if the down B had a similar effect to the Zelda/Shiek and Trainer's gameplay. But for Link, the Down B would transform you from normal link to wolf link from Twilight Princess and vice versa, and wolf link has a unique moveset.

I feel a cool moveset for wolf link would include a good balance between the wolf's natural attacks used with the A button and Midna's attacks taking the specials. I.E. Upspecial would be Midna's hair-hand grabbing the ledge in the air, but activating an attack field when on the ground.
Smashes and jabs would be similar to the wolf's attacks in the TP game. Anyways, that's my fantasy for a change for link that I think would be unexpectedly cool.

But realistically, I'd like to see his Spin attack have a larger radius while having the effect it had in Melee, especially when you could use it to knock opponents at a 45 degree angle downward from the stage. Give him back a little more speed as well. Other than that, keep him as he is, in my opinion.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
There's no stall-and-fall for Toon Link in P:M. He has one in Brawl, though.

And yes, it seems like it'll be very similar to Young Link's fire meteor in Melee, except only at the beginning of the move and at the tip of the sword instead.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Rolling Bombs with the c-stick instead of just throwing a bomb at the ground and hurting yourself.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would like to see this one.
that will be amazing as long as the dair still has it's killing potential. if it's more like TL's dair then i dont think it will be as good.

i really wish that they would instead give his Dtilt a reliable meteor smash

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Changes...hmmm

-Make Fair draw opponents in on the first strike so the second almost always hits.
-Power up Nair and Bair.
-Design Dair as Sakurai put above, with less landing lag.
-Sped up recovery from whiffed throws, and better range on them by a bit.
-Bomb arrow idea sounds good too.
-Give the Spin Attack greater horizontal range like in OoT, and make it propel him higher to improve his awful recovery.
-Make it harder to cancel out of USmash and have FSmash stun on the first hit like TL's in Brawl.
-Return his jab to the multi-hit from Smash64.
-A bit faster and higher second jump. Link is far more acrobatic than Smash makes him out to be, he can roll faster than he runs and can do hand-less backflips.

DeanAdamFry

Smash Supporter
NNID
DeanAdamFry
3DS FC
2423-3337-0046
Link
  • Side A changed to Skyward Strike (Adds range the longer it is held down, think ssbm Links Bow mechanics)
  • Gale Boomerang improvements (Blows foes away when launched and pulls foes back when it returns)
  • Links Bow improvements (Can now move and no longer needs to be charged to do long distance shots, acts more like Foxes blasters but a bit more slow and does a bit more damage)
  • Down B changed to Digging Mitts (Links version of Pitfall, acts like Villagers shovel)
Toon Link
  • Side A changed to Hurricane Spin (Spins further the longer it is held down)
  • Down A changed to Helm Splitter (Jumps overhead and slashes beneath him, will send enemy flying opposite of where he faces)
  • Up B changed to Baba Bud (Summons Baba Bud into himself and launches him in the air like Sonic with Spring then brings out Deku Leaf to glide)
  • Side B changed to Skull Hammer (Toon Links version of Pitfall, only one side but deals X% damage)
  • Toon Links Bow improvements (Has Ice Arrows and no longer needs to be charged however distance is half of Links Bow)
  • Down B changed to Iron Boots (increases weight of Toon Link however makes him slower, can use other moves while wearing these)
I know Toon Link isn't meant to be here but I was typing all of this up and thought I'd just put it in here, they are clones after all. Keep in mind this list isn't been thought with competitiveness in mind, I just wanted them to be more unique.

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
Consistent Dtilt smash, and speed/recovery buffs. I'd like to see some Mario cape abilities on his gale boomerang too.

DJVictor

Smash Cadet
NNID
VictorLarbi
yeah same here
and he has to be allot more agile because sometimes he felt unnatural

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
He needs to be faster and not be so heavy. His bow needs to be improved and the Gale Boomerang should be changed back to the normal boomerang. And he should be able to shoot bomb arrows.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Here's what I want:

- Overall sped up

- when holding a bomb by hitting and/or holding b your arrow becomes a bomb arrow.

- kill potential from forward smash increased

- less recovery after a whiffed grab

- can go down fast with dair similar to toon link.

- can now hold or mash a to do multiple sword slashes (could do this in melee cept for the holding part)
These all sound good.

I would like to see at least a faster movement and a longer clawshot from him. There is NO reason for him to be so slow when he can do crazy flips, hops, rolls and attack jumps in his games.

LunchPolice

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LunchPolice
3DS FC
5456-0847-1584
Changes...hmmm

-Make Fair draw opponents in on the first strike so the second almost always hits.
-Power up Nair and Bair.
-Design Dair as Sakurai put above, with less landing lag.
-Sped up recovery from whiffed throws, and better range on them by a bit.
-Bomb arrow idea sounds good too.
-Give the Spin Attack greater horizontal range like in OoT, and make it propel him higher to improve his awful recovery.
-Make it harder to cancel out of USmash and have FSmash stun on the first hit like TL's in Brawl.
-Return his jab to the multi-hit from Smash64.
-A bit faster and higher second jump. Link is far more acrobatic than Smash makes him out to be, he can roll faster than he runs and can do hand-less backflips.
Probably the most reasonable post here. As a Link main, I approve. Not that I'm a pro player or anything :p

You can't just replace Link's bombs with a short range digging attack, you gotta think about the kind of character he is and what he's meant to be good at. And Cracker Launcher-style bow aiming would be totally impractical. The bow is far too weak to justify any time spent aiming. I'm not completely closed to big switch-ups in Link's toolset but I don't think many of these suggestions are good ideas. Rolling bombs might be neat if they move quite slowly, you could set up some pretty neat traps with them. I think Skyward Strike is more suited to an A move, the whole point of the bow is that it's an arcing weapon. I do think the ability to jump whilst charging it would be pretty sweet.

Kirks21

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirks_43
3DS FC
1848-1728-8218
I'd love to see his dash attack from 64 return. And the knock back from all his aerials to be as strong as his 64 version. And the boomerang from 64 also. I just really love 64 Link. :link64:

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
1. Better knockback-to-cooldown rate for attacks.
2. Better mobility.
3. Actually be good for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom