• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Changes to make Dedede a viable threat in the meta.

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Dedede is a character with a lot of problems from an execution standpoint. He's a big character that's slow, has meme frame data, and has more problems securing kills then any other super heavyweight in the game. So I propose to make changes to Dedede to keep him fair, fun, intuitive, and the deep character we all desperately pray for him to be. For starters how ever, I'd like to say that a lot of the characters in Smash 4 are designed in a way that they can heavily rely on one specific strategy to win them through games. I don't plan to make Dedede a braindead character, I plan to make him viable and fun while still offering a good amount of depth with all the stuff he can do. If I really wanted to then yes I could just give Dedede a Hoo-Hah kill combo and call it a day. But that's easily the most lame and un-intuitive way to make a character good I have ever seen in my life. Dedede can be good in plenty of ways other then having kill confirms off of grabs. Ways that will keep him a fun character to play as and maybe even against. I think Dedede is one fun and well designed heavy. It's just that the execution was incredibly underwhelming and made what could have been a solid character bottom 10. So without further ado, I present to you my proposed changes for King Dedede.

Edit: I think it's time I went a little more in-depth on my philosophy for Dedede's changes. In order to learn how to properly balance a character, you need to figure out what their design philosophy was when turning them into a smash character. So without further ado, Let's get started:

:4dedede:My perspective on King Dedede's design philosophy:

Purpose: Heavy, Boss/anti-hero, Goofy, weapon user

Strengths:

• Heavy character that lives extremely long
  • Massive disjoints beating out almost the entire cast's movesets in shear range
  • Great damage output on almost all of his attacks
  • Multiple jumps giving him an excellent recovery
  • Excellent defensive game
Weakness are:
  • Poor movement speed in general
  • Being combo food given his size and weight
  • Bad frame data

Smash is a game with very unique characters. Some having very weird or polarizing designs (Little Mac, Jigglypuff, etc...), I've always felt Dedede was one of those straight foward characters who has clear strengths and weaknesses. He's supposed to be a "Slow, but strong" characters giving his hammer and poor mobility. But they don't go as far with it as most other heavyweights. He's arguably the weakest heavyweight in the game as many of his moves don't kill and are slow to boot. I feel a good middle ground would be to give him average frame data and give some of his moves that extra kick. Obviously a character with massive disjoints shouldn't have everything kill, but letting characters live to 130+ on average is pretty ridiculous as a heavyweight character. So I decided to give him the "best" of both worlds so to speak. Averaging out frame data to box with characters better which allows his gameplan of "Keep them at f-tilt range" to become even more effective. While also keeping him from being Bowser levels of strong so he still has to play neutral and not just spam f-tilt and watch it kill at 90%.

* =More significant buff

^ = More significant nerf

> = Minor change

Normals:

*Jab: Jab 1 startup 4 frames faster from 10-6 (same speed as d-tilt for a better midrange game.) Jab 2 comes out 3-4 frames earlier to reliably connect from Jab 1. Jab Finisher comes out 3 frames earlier so it can’t be countered or up-b’d out of. Change Knockback angle from 70 to 45 for more horizontal knockback for better stage control.

*F-tilt: Startup decreased by 3 frames from 12-9 (Same as DK’s for a better spacing tool strengthening his midrange game). IASA frames decreased by 5 frames from 49-44 (same as up-tilt to function as a shield poke for a better pressure game.)

*D-tilt: Hitbox timers fixed to cover Dedede’s entire side instead of just slightly in front of him so it won’t whiff at point blank. Startup decreased by 3 frames from 6-3 (so that we can more reliably punish unsafe shield pokes.)

^ But increase the IASA frames from 38-44 to be able to punish brain dead use of the move Oos so it’s not an unbeatable option.

*Up-tilt: *Decrease startup by 2 frames from 9-7 so we can use it as a reliable anti-air and it becomes a decent Oos option.

>Make the hitbox timers earlier to make it reach slightly lower to the ground so it can hit a standing Kirby reliably.

Dash attack: Fine

Smashes:

F-smash: Fine

D-smash: *Startup decreased by 2 frames from 14-12 for a better punish tool for unsafe moves and catching rolls. ^BKB and KBG values changed to same as Diddy's to compensate for speed increase.

Up-smash:

>Fix hitbox timers so that it doesn’t whiff at the start of the hammer swing.

*Get rid of the sourspot so every part of the move is the strong hit.

*Startup decreased by 3 frames from 17-14. KBG increased enough to kill the same percents as Sonic’s.

^BKB decreased to compensate for the increased knockback to the same value as Wario’s.

Grabs:

F-throw: *Change throw angle from 45-30 for semi-spike angle so it sets up for edgeguards better.

B-throw: *Angle changed from 60-40 better angle for kills and edgeguarding. KBG and BKB changed to same as DK’s for earlier kills.

Up-throw: Fine

D-throw: *BKB decreased from 70-55 for later follow-ups at high-ish percents (Around 80-90).

>KBG increased from from 82-83 for same KB values as Luigi for combos until kill percents at which point Dedede can use b-throw for the same purpose.

(Gives him slightly better damage racking capabilities while not having braindead ways to secure kills keeping the neutral intuitive and not just “Fish for d-throw at kill percents”.)

Aerials:

Nair: Fine

Fair: *Decreased startup from frame 13-10 to be able to use it to outspeed moves.

*IASA frames decreased from 42-38(Same as Bair). Now able to auto-cancel out of a short hop which gives him a safer, more intuitive nuetral. Also acts as a decent approach option now.

>Slight damage increase from 12-13%.

BKB increased from 15-30 for better edgeguarding move and a safer move to use in general at lower percents.

*Fix hitbox timers to hit higher above Dedede and the last pixel of the hammer head.

(This change gives Dedede and approach option he desperately needed and gives him an easier time keeping people out and forcing them to commit.)

Bair:

*Startup decreased by 4 frames from 16-12. Easier to hit with and increases it’s viability as an auto-cancel aerial.

*Fix hitbox timers to start slightly earlier to as soon as Dedede starts swinging the hammer.

(Deepens the neutral while also increasing his defensive game as an better wall out aerial with the hitbox timer fixes.)

Up-air: Fine

Down-air: *Startup decreased significantly from 22-14.

(Faster startup gives it better viablity as an actual edgeguarding option for more than just linear recoveries. Also makes it a better a slightly better anti-juggle option.)

Specials:

Inhale: *Startup decreased by 4 frames from 18-14.

*IASA frames decreased from 78-73.

(Given the Kirby treatment basically. Makes inhale a better landing option and a more useful command grab being able to react to shield quicker with it. Decrease in endlag helps give it a better risk/reward ratio to make it plenty punishable but not so much that it’s not worth using at all except highly un rare situations.)

Gordo: *Startup decreased by 11 frames from 29-18

*IASA frames decreased from 64-16.

*Make reflect percents from 2-3%.

(This way we can almost always reflect Gordo back even from close range with our faster frame data changes and decreased endlag. Reflect percents increased slightly but almost every attack in the game can still send it flying back at us so the Risk/Reward is more evened out. Gives Gordo volley more viablity and is a better option than before. Gordo traps also become way more viable as now we can safely create gordo pressure from mid range which gives us actual pressure and can force options much easier.)

Jet Hammer: Fine

Super Dedede Jump: *Super Armor active until Dedede lands.

(Better risk/reward ratio because the move doesn’t have a hitbox until he starts falling so not having armor until he landed never made sense anyway. Safer recovery but still plenty punishable if he lands on stage since the end lag balances the armor changes out.)

Stats:

*Walking Speed: 0.98 to 1.05

*Running Speed: 1.36 to 1.45

(Mostly so that he can punish openings more reliably and keep up with his opponents better. Not a tremendous increase in speed because he just needs to really be able to keep on his opponents when he gets in.)

*Air Speed: 0.658 to .08

*Air Mobility: 0.04 to 0.065

(Makes his horizontal recovery much better while still being plenty gimpable. Same air speed as Kirby now and it allows him to edgeguard people more easily as well as chase people down in the air much better.)

The stat changes were mostly just what if scenarios as no character has ever gotten a speed increase in the game ever. Well there you have it folks, My proposed Dedede changes. Feel free to discuss the changes as much as you want. I mostly made ths to get everyone else's opinions on my changes anyway.

Edit: Forgot to add Dash attack lol but I wasn't planning on changing it anyway.

Last edited:

williamsga555

Smash Journeyman
All I want, realistically speaking, is a significantly faster inhale on startup, re-buff fair to launch status (why was it even nerfed?), and buff either jab 1 or f-tilt to be faster.

Fixing dtilt hitbox is also there.

D

Deleted member

I like everything here.

Another thing I'd want is for the hitboxes for forward air and back air to match the animation, and for fair to kill much earlier onstage.

Silly Symphony

Smash Cadet
NNID
scoota100
That's not a small list. With the suggestions listed here, I think I can make a bingo card if Dedede ever gets considered for a buff. I will say that this list is justified, but I would still like to add two small things.

"Nair: fine"

It comes out on frame 6 if I remember correctly, for a sex-kick that's silly. And as long as dair isn't semi-practical to counter juggles, I'd like the hitbox to be bigger and startup shorter.

"Jet Hammer: fine"
A move that can be seen from a mile away, impaired with slow movement, such poor startup, such poor shield damage (even fully charged it doesn't break, at which point the opponent's shield has regenerated) such end-lag, and worse knockback compared to Fsmash.

I would at least give it either:
- shield breaking qualities
- faster startup and shorter end-lag
- super armor as standard

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
I mean
That's not a small list. With the suggestions listed here, I think I can make a bingo card if Dedede ever gets considered for a buff. I will say that this list is justified, but I would still like to add two small things.

"Nair: fine"

It comes out on frame 6 if I remember correctly, for a sex-kick that's silly. And as long as dair isn't semi-practical to counter juggles, I'd like the hitbox to be bigger and startup shorter.

"Jet Hammer: fine"
A move that can be seen from a mile away, impaired with slow movement, such poor startup, such poor shield damage (even fully charged it doesn't break, at which point the opponent's shield has regenerated) such end-lag, and worse knockback compared to Fsmash.

I would at least give it either:
- shield breaking qualities
- faster startup and shorter end-lag
- super armor as standard
Nair is frame 7 actually. The reason why I say the move personally is fine myself is because Dedede has 4 jumps and a command grab. Having a frame 3 nair would also go against my own design philosophy for Dedede. Frame 3 nairs in this game are really stupid and can get you out of combos just by mashing A with no thought involved. Besides the other changes I made to his moveset (Namely his faster Bair, Fair, and inhale) kind of already helps with that. Frame 7 is just fast enough to get you out of combos that aren't true but slow enough that you can't just blatently spam it out of everything. He needs to have SOME flaws. As for Jet Hammer, I guess you could like give it faster startup. But personally I see no reason to buff it since the move is just kind of designed to be bad. You also have to take into account the fact that your buffs have to be REASONABLE, Jet hammer will never get super armor and will never become faster. It's an incredibly high risk/low reward move but it's supposed to be designed that way and it'll never get changed because it's supposed to be risky af to use.

Edit: A fully charged Jet Hammer already brings your shield down to the lowest possible level of health. Literally just one bair and it's GG.

Last edited:

Silly Symphony

Smash Cadet
NNID
scoota100
I mean

Nair is frame 7 actually. The reason why I say the move personally is fine myself is because Dedede has 4 jumps and a command grab. Having a frame 3 nair would also go against my own design philosophy for Dedede. Frame 3 nairs in this game are really stupid and can get you out of combos just by mashing A with no thought involved. Besides the other changes I made to his moveset (Namely his faster Bair, Fair, and inhale) kind of already helps with that. Frame 7 is just fast enough to get you out of combos that aren't true but slow enough that you can't just blatently spam it out of everything. He needs to have SOME flaws. As for Jet Hammer, I guess you could like give it faster startup. But personally I see no reason to buff it since the move is just kind of designed to be bad. You also have to take into account the fact that your buffs have to be REASONABLE, Jet hammer will never get super armor and will never become faster. It's an incredibly high risk/low reward move but it's supposed to be designed that way and it'll never get changed because it's supposed to be risky af to use.

Edit: A fully charged Jet Hammer already brings your shield down to the lowest possible level of health. Literally just one bair and it's GG.
I can understand the reasons for keeping nair as it is. Thank you for clarifying. I will remain unconvinced of Jet Hammer in it's current state however, it needs something.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I

I agree with the majority of your requests, although I would prefer to expect a slightly more conservative but specific set of buffs, as to not be disappointed. At this point, I'll take just about anything (especially a Final Smash buff).

But this one statement is funny to me, and it's not your fault. Shields recharge fully in like 4 seconds in the game. Shield damage means nothing if you can't keep up the pressure until they break. Just putting that out there.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I came back to point out you haven't covered dash attack, a 40 frame move.
I don't mind dash attack to be honest. I think it's OK for what it is. It's great from getup and roll reads and a super sick mixup. For how much KB and damage it does, it's worth the risk.

Besides, you shouldn't be dashing that much as Dedede to begin with.

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
I think Dash attack is pretty good at what it's meant to do. I mean if you tried to decrease the start up then I guess it would be better. But the move functionally works just fine for what it's supposed to do. It's just one of those moves that is highly situational because of how it was designed. But yes, my bad for forgetting to add it to the list.

randomguy1235

Smash Apprentice
Um, so you want to make Dedede broken.
If all these changes were implemented, he'd still be far, FAR from broken. Look at Charizard and Donkey Kong, who received a slew of buffs yet make no substantial impact on the tournament scene.

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Um, so you want to make Dedede broken.
I'm going to assume you didn't actually read anything on this list in full detail. Don't waste time typing stuff like this if you don't actually bother reading everything I put there. Everything is clearly explained why it's changed and nothing I proposed could really make Dedede a broken character. It would go against my entire philosophy regarding how to make him better while still being fair and plenty viable at the same time. It's not like I said "Make every move have only 1 frame of startup and 1 frame of endlag GG ZSS". Bring up facts next time you wanna call me out for something like this otherwise I'll just ignore you as at that point you'd clearly just be wasting my time.

Last edited:

Cook

Smash Master
I'm going to assume you didn't actually read anything on this list in full detail. Don't waste time typing stuff like this if you don't actually bother reading everything I put there. Everything is clearly explained why it's changed and nothing I proposed could really make Dedede a broken character. It would go against my entire philosophy regarding how to make him better while still being fair and plenty viable at the same time. It's not like I said "Make every move have only 1 frame of startup and 1 frame of endlag GG ZSS". Bring up facts next time you wanna call me out for something like this otherwise I'll just ignore you as at that point you'd clearly just be wasting my time.
Lol, someone is easily offended. If you don't think he'd be broken, you're less than daft. Your proposed gordo changes alone are insane. And then 3 frame dtilt? Lmao, ok. And let's make the best dsmash in the game better than it already is. And while we're at it, just make ALMOST EVERY SINGLE MOVE significantly faster. Gurl, plz. Please never work in game design.

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
e
Lol, someone is easily offended. If you don't think he'd be broken, you're less than daft. Your proposed gordo changes alone are insane. And then 3 frame dtilt? Lmao, ok. And let's make the best dsmash in the game better than it already is. And while we're at it, just make ALMOST EVERY SINGLE MOVE significantly faster. Gurl, plz. Please never work in game design.
I already explained why i said what i said about all of those moves so I won't bother talking about it anymore. Also what you're telling me is that you'd rather only have Dedede with 1 move faster then frame 7 and not give other moves less situational usage to give him a better toolkit in general? Literally nothing I decided to buff isn't justified with my explantions as to why I want it to be changed. Also most moves are only really faster by about 3-4 frames, it's not like I made bair frame 7 or something (The most significant being Gordo but again I explain why). Actually, you know what? Since you seem to have your own opinions about this. How about instead of doing nothing but saying "OMG THIS CHARACTER HAS BETTER FRAME DATA AND GORDO TRAPS THAT WORK BETTER NEW SHIEK HUR DURR" you actually, Oh I don't know... explain why my changes are actually bad ideas? Just a thought.

Edit: I could see what you mean about my d-smash changes though. A knockback nerf would be a good compensation for the speed increase as it's pretty justified that way.

Last edited:

Snokros

Smash Cadet
i wouldnt listen to cook honestly. when people saw all the charizard and donkey kongs buffs many went 'its too much!' and 'they are op now!' and that didnt really turn out to be the case now did it.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
I want Dedede to get the Ike treatment and receive all around frame data buffs. And I really like most of the OP's suggestions. But I'd be satisfied with:

- less endlag on inhale
- fix all hitboxes to match animation (dtilt, fair, bair)
- Make dair's startup not stupidly awful
- Make either Bthrow or Fthrow a decent kill throw, killing at the ledge around 125%, at middle of stage around 150%.

I'd love more honestly, but I think those 4 changes would take Dedede to solid midtier status or possibly higher. Making him plenty viable in tournament. Honestly though, just fixing his hitboxes and adding a killthrow would make him mid tier instead of low tier in my opinion.

Last edited:

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Yeah, A more conservative list of buffs is probably a more realistic way to go about it. But I figured why not just go the extra mile and talk about his move-set as a whole. Dedede's kit in general is pretty clunky as is so I had a lot to say about almost every move.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
This is the #1 change I'd love to see.
Gordo Throw requires 3% to reflect, ignores all energy based projectiles, and has a faster startup.
I'd like to see a gordo reflect change. But, I don't think there's any chance of it happening because it would affect the game too much. It would completely change how the move can be used, and it would significantly change the Dedede matchup for lots of characters...they'd have to relearn how to approach. In effect, a gordo buff would in essence not be a buff to Dedede as much as it would be a nerf to lots of other characters.

Kind of like why I don't think they'll change Jet Hammer. To make it better they'd have to completely change the move...and I think in patches Sakurai has shown he's trying to buff or nerf without changing how a move works fundamentally.

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
I think it's time I went a little more in-depth on my philosophy for Dedede's changes. In order to learn how to properly balance a character, you need to figure out what their design philosophy was when turning them into a smash character. So without further ado, Let's get started:

:4dedede:My perspective on King Dedede's design philosophy:

Purpose: Heavy, Boss/anti-hero, Goofy, weapon user

Strengths:

• Heavy character that lives extremely long
  • Massive disjoints beating out almost the entire cast's movesets in shear range
  • Great damage output on almost all of his attacks
  • Multiple jumps giving him an excellent recovery
  • Excellent defensive game
Weakness are:
  • Poor movement speed in general
  • Being combo food given his size and weight
  • Bad frame data

Smash is a game with very unique characters. Some having very weird or polarizing designs (Little Mac, Jigglypuff, etc...), I've always felt Dedede was one of those straight foward characters who has clear strengths and weaknesses. He's supposed to be a "Slow, but strong" characters giving his hammer and poor mobility. But they don't go as far with it as most other heavyweights. He's arguably the weakest heavyweight in the game as many of his moves don't kill and are slow to boot. I feel a good middle ground would be to give him average frame data and give some of his moves that extra kick. Obviously a character with massive disjoints shouldn't have everything kill, but letting characters live to 130+ on average is pretty ridiculous as a heavyweight character. So I decided to give him the "best" of both worlds so to speak. Averaging out frame data to box with characters better which allows his gameplan of "Keep them at f-tilt range" to become even more effective. While also keeping him from being Bowser levels of strong so he still has to play neutral and not just spam f-tilt and watch it kill at 90%.

Edit: added this to the OP

Last edited:

DEX_

Smash Cadet
NNID
Crowind
3DS FC
5086-1792-9558
The thing that bothers me about the gordo throw is that if it's interrupted because of an attack both dedede and the enemy cannot be hurt by it, BUT the enemy can still damage it to hit dedede back while the royal penguin can't

Aki

Smash Cadet
NNID
Im_Aki
3DS FC
1306-5844-3434
I found something really good with Equipment. If you take the improved ground jumps (1.2 height I believe) Dthrow Up Air becomes a guaranteed combo at kill percents. The tradeoff is that it won't work at low percents but for that you can still use nair or fair.

Aki

Smash Cadet
NNID
Im_Aki
3DS FC
1306-5844-3434
I thought this whole thread is just hypothetical? Dedede would be much better if his ground jump went higher, that's all I wanted to say.

Silly Symphony

Smash Cadet
NNID
scoota100
I've been using Inhale like no tomorrow and landing pretty consistently (all thanks to Soul train for teaching me it's value), and I've been thinking lately... If inhale had super-armour on it, it wouldn't be OP because it can't kill, but it would make for an interesting juggle punish.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I've been using Inhale like no tomorrow and landing pretty consistently (all thanks to Soul train for teaching me it's value), and I've been thinking lately... If inhale had super-armour on it, it wouldn't be OP because it can't kill, but it would make for an interesting juggle punish.
Lol yeah I have always wished for D3 to have his inhale grab-armor back. I'd rather have it than improve the frames on the move as well.

GodofGrunts

Smash Rookie
NNID
god_ov
I main KD3 and play and I only have two real complaints and one wish.

1) I have no way to fight diagonal approaches.

Upsmash is not only slow, but at low percents the opponent recovers before the move is done. Uptilt is also slow but is a slight better option. Overall though, an opponent that can approach at an angle and go through my sheild is almost unpunishable since reverse Ftilt doesn't hit until frame 12.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I think this is more of a general list of concept buffs, and most every character has one in their respective board.

D3 is a penguin-shaped sack of hot garbage right now. Even with all these buffs, characters like Sheik, ZSS, and Diddy may as well be leopard seals...

DK's ding-dong allows him to rack damage like crazy from a single grab (67% true combo on Ike, and ~50% combos on others, from...ONE...grab...), and he can of course use it to KO reliably, thus turning a bad game around in seconds, and he STILL isn't even cracking A tier.

People seriously underestimate just how much more heavyweights need to have going for them before they become competitive. Granted, we can't make their frame data THAT much better, lest they become overpowered in casual, but some frame data improvements are definitely warranted with D3. Really, he's easily the worst HW in the game, by far. Bowser has more reliable kill setups (and even those aren't SUPER reliable and a misread can cost Bowser a stock). We all know what DK has going for him, and everyone else like ROB, Wario, and Ike all have numerous other things going for them.

Only Gdorf might be in the same boat as D3 right now, though his ftilt is at least amazing and his tech chases with side-B can rack some serious damage, and his Uair is an all around awesome move. Plus, Ganoncide is a guaranteed win for Ganon if he lands it.

I do maintain, however, that the biggest buff to HWs right now would of course be a nerf to the top tier (Sheik and ZSS in particular basically invalidate the existence of HWs...).

Last edited:

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Yeah, nerfing the top tiers would probably be the more realistic approach to balancing the cast giving how many characters are in the game it would probably be hell to try and make them ALL competitively viable AND still fair in casual play. Personally I don't really agree with the "Bring everyone down to the worse characters level" philosophy because what results is an incredibly underwhelming cast with mediocre movesets and aren't as fun to play as or watch then before they were nerfed (As much as we all hate playing against top tiers we can come to a general consensus that they're pretty fun to watch at top level except a few). But giving how long it takes to do the other option it makes sense that it'll probably come to that at some point.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I mean

I dont care what anyone says fully charged jet hammer should break Shields in 1hit

Silly Symphony

Smash Cadet
NNID
scoota100
I dont care what anyone says fully charged jet hammer should break Shields in 1hit
I'd say less than a full charge, because Marth can remove like 95% with a barely charged poke and have the good framedata to get away with it most of the time. I know Jet Hammer is different as in D3 can walk around but takes damage at full % etc... But it literally takes 2.3 seconds to charge. So many characters in the game's roster can use that as spare time for lunch break. I'd say:

- half a charge breaks shield (1.2 seconds, that's still slower than Fsmash)
- full charge has a slightly larger hitbox

A Rogue Cop

Smash Cadet
Am I the only one who feels like the whole "Dedede is already perfect" meme has been hurting him? Nobody but actual DDD mains seem to see the need for him to receive buffs.

D

Deleted member

Am I the only one who feels like the whole "Dedede is already perfect" meme has been hurting him? Nobody but actual DDD mains seem to see the need for him to receive buffs.
I've been noticing this too, unfortunately. That and people still think he's annoying to play or a very good character since they don't know how to fight him, but are unaware of his actual place in this game's meta right now.

AAAZZZ

Smash Rookie
I've been noticing this too, unfortunately. That and people still think he's annoying to play or a very good character since they don't know how to fight him, but are unaware of his actual place in this game's meta right now.
I get a lot of complaints for playing him actually. Having zero moves that can be used to poke and very few ways to punish means I just hide in my shield and throw gordos while running away until my opponent makes a mistake. I have to play this way and people hate it.
That being said I don't really have any hope of changes in the future.

SoopaDerpcat

Smash Cadet
Some buffs I think would make Dedede needs are:

- Give his Fair a meteor effect like Donkey Kong's. It's literally the same overall motion, except Dedede's holding a mallet the size of a wine barrel.

- Make his down smash faster. He severely needs a better way to punish rollers.

- Give his aerials a LITTLE less landing lag.

- Give his side smash super armor during startup lag. It's technically a really powerful move, but it's way too slow and interruptible. IMO that wouldn't make it overpowered since it would still be pretty easy to dodge.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
-Fair is fine.
-Dsmash is actually pretty fast. Did you know how he caught rolls in Brawl? With Utilt. He needs his old Utilt back.
-Nair, Fair and early Uair have fair Landing Lags, Bair and Dair are risky moves not to be thrown that easily. Overall DDD doesn't really like to jump when the opponent is grounded, but still his aerials are far from terrible.
-Fsmash would be broken in teams and FFAs that way.
:196:

SoopaDerpcat

Smash Cadet
The only one I guess I have any real reason to disagree with you on is Fsmash. It still seems like anybody who's paying any attention at all could still dodge it, even in a team match. The biggest danger I can see is people forgetting it has super armor for a few weeks after the theoretical buff is put into effect and dying trying to interrupt it.

I don't know, I just feel like it needs some kind of buff. Dedede has way too many useless moves. F-smash is once again a good idea in theory, but in practice it doesn't really find much use. Here's some other ideas for it though, since I suppose super armor COULD be a little bit OP in some situations.

- Give the initial overhead part of the swing more knockback and a horizontal trajectory.

- Nerf the damage and knockback, but give it less startup lag.

- Make it break shields. Like, actually completely break shields. I know it already does a ton of shield damage, but since shields restore so quickly and Dedede is so easily outmaneuvered, it's pretty easy to go a while without
shielding against him.

- Give it damage-sensitive armor to protect it against easy jabs and dash attacks. Even if it breaks from a move that only does over 5% in a single hit, it would make the move a lot more useful.

Top Bottom