• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Changes to Link's Moveset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zekersaurus

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2027 5431 0731
Now, Link's one of my favorite video game characters and regardless of his flaws I played him in every Smash game. I liked him in 64, loved him in melee, but I was very disappointed in how he turned out in Brawl... and not just because he was a god awful character.

In my opinion, Smash's portrayal of Link does not do him enough justice and I don't understand why they couldn't get it right after 3 games. Now, don't get me wrong. They gave him the main stuff, Boomerang, bombs, hookshot, etc. I think these were essential recurring items that should all be included... but he uses soooo much more. He also uses magic too. I want to see more of what link can do to represented in the Smash Bros. games.

Now, obviously you can't include even a 4th of every item or skill Link has in a Smash bros. game and I certainly wouldn't want any move he has to be removed but I think that if Pt can have 3 different movesets, a handful of characters can conjure items, or randomness is Incorporated into a designs then we can give link a least a few more moves. This applies to Toon Link as well.

Here are a few things I thought of.

1. Hold Jump:Hover Boots - Hold down the jump button and hover left or right but for a much shorter duration than peach's and maybe instead of aerials he would do grounded basic attacks or attack once and it cancels the hover.

2. UpB: Leaf/Quilt - Both Link and TL could use incorporate their respective parachutes into their recoveries. After the aerial Spinning Attack is finished a Quilt or (Deku leaf if TL) would come out to slow his descent but can't be used again until he get's back on the stage.

3. Left Taunt: Play Instrument - Link uses Ocarina, Recorder, Wind Waker etc. that produces an effect. Option A: Creating a small tornado (similar to the one on Hyrule Castle) or some other type of stage hazard that would push, hurl, or damage opponents. B: Maybe it could create some type of item that always appears the same distance away from you character and could benefit you (or your opponent if used carelessly). C: just empower your attacks.

4. Right Taunt: Change Weapon - Link could possibly take out a wand or magical sword that shoots a ranged beam every time link uses his sword. As a drawback the sword does less damage and the beams have no knock back and deal little damage. Alternatively, the right taunt could instead draw a hammer or heavy weapon that deals more damage than links sword but makes his attacks slower.

Those are just a few examples of what could be done with Link. Thoughts?

How do you all feel about Link. Do you think he needs any significant changes aside from buffs?

Btw, trying to think of a more fitting title.

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
I'd have to agree id like to see taunts changing weapons. Ice arrows, fire rod etc.

Spire

III
BRoomer
The use of the Fire Rod as an alternate main weapon in Hyrule Warriors comes to mind. Retaining the same specials but switching between Master Sword and Fire Rod? That would be excellent. While brandishing the two-handed Fire Rod, he could holster his shield on his back. Of course, you can't have the Fire Rod without the Ice Rod, so I DUNNO.

Doesn't look like this will happen.

Please come back Boomerang.

Zekersaurus

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2027 5431 0731
Well, I guess most people just want to see him buffed. He does need a buff but I just thought he was missing more than that. oh well.

LazerRage

Smash Cadet
I like that Link is fairly straightforward, but I do want to see something fresh. Switching between different weapons might be a really cool way to change him up... but it could also make him more complicated or broken compared to other characters.
Since Legend of Zelda is one of Ninty's biggest franchises (2nd biggest perhaps?), I get the impression they want to keep Link a more traditional type of fighter, rather than an advanced-smasher character such as Olimar or PokeTrainer.

Adding a Skyward Strike/ sword beam when he is at 0% would be fun. I'm really hoping he gets a new final smash. His current Triforce Slash is okaayyy, but there are SO MANY THINGS from ACTUAL past Zelda games he could use. One simple, unlikely idea- How about he gets on Epona/horse and shoots the burny flesh off everyone with fire arrows as he gallops and jumps about?? Light arrows would seem great for Link too, but Zelda got them for some reason..... which is FINE because she DOES use Light Arrows to help you defeat Ganondorf in more than one Zelda game...grumble... even though Zelda could summon the power of sages as her final smash, or she could use the MAGIC of WISDOM!!

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Honestly, I understand the desire to make Link a more heavier character. And they should just shoehorn in EVERY piece of equipment Link's ever used. Things like the Grappling Hook, Deku Leaf or Ball and Chain could make cool independent items.

Link just needs better recovery really. I find his power appropriate as well as his agility. So, I'd give him back the bomb jumps, maybe make the clawshot longer, and make his Up B carry him further.

And, just for kicks, I'd make it so using his bow while holding a bomb would make you able to use bomb arrows. Seeing as how he is Twilight Princess Link (and the Link's Awakening reference would be cool).

Hong

The Strongest
Honestly, I understand the desire to make Link a more heavier character. And they should just shoehorn in EVERY piece of equipment Link's ever used. Things like the Grappling Hook, Deku Leaf or Ball and Chain could make cool independent items.

Link just needs better recovery really. I find his power appropriate as well as his agility. So, I'd give him back the bomb jumps, maybe make the clawshot longer, and make his Up B carry him further.

And, just for kicks, I'd make it so using his bow while holding a bomb would make you able to use bomb arrows. Seeing as how he is Twilight Princess Link (and the Link's Awakening reference would be cool).
It was alright in SSB64, especially the Japanese version, because Link's projectiles would outright wreck a recovery.

If Link can't have good recovery, all I could ask for is for some more launch power and/or stun on his projectiles.

TwinSoles00

Smash Rookie
I miss his rapid a attack sword stabs. I never really followed the online forums on why adult link was nerfed from having them. Alittle insight?

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
The gale boomerang could definitely be improved. I like very much but I'm thinking it could be more like falco's shine with no stun and consistent push/pull.

Chaos Draka

Smash Rookie
What if Link had any weapons from Skyward Sword? Like maybe the beetle or whip? The beetle could replace the boomerang but I don't know what the whip would replace?

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I really love the all the projectiles he has now so I think a variation on his moveset that is based on unpredictability would be interesting... Link would still have his boomerangs, bombs, and arrows but each special move would hold a set of different ones from different games. For instance:

Arrows: Pressing B Randomly shoots Fire, Ice, Light, Bomb arrows or just normal arrows. Each having different Range, Strength, Speed. Bomb arrows could come out in slow arcs controlling space like Link's normal Bombs do and Light Arrows would be the rarest arrow,(Much like Peachy's Stitch Face Turnip) with ultimate stats in range, speed and strength, having high-killing potential.

Boomerangs: He gets magic boomerang from ALttP being faster and leaving a longer hitstun, the Gale, the normal one and i dunno maybe he whips out one of the various staffs and shoots some magic some times? or not.

Bombs: You can still grab any bomb out of a jump at anytime, throw it in any direction, drop it, etc. Even if you get things like Bombchus, Powder Kegs and the like. Bombchus would be faster and lighter to throw and if they land without hitting anyone or an item they would start dashing forward in the direction link is facing; so you could be jumping away while throwing it down, having it trail beneath you while jumping forward, etc. Powderkegs would take much more time and might feel awkward to throw, but have a much bigger blast radius and increased hitback. Powder kegs when thrown not hitting people or items do not explode but have a timer from the moment they are pulled out. (about 5-10 sec. or so?) BUT, like regular bombs explode on hitbox contact, and of course the powder kegs are a larger size so no fool lower on the stock would dare approach to hit Link while he' carrying or setting one. You could set a Keg somewhere on stage and knock them into it while sending an arrow afterwards to blow them sky-high! Problem is while face another character one-onone and they have a quick enough projectile and you meant to pull a regular bomb you splode instead!

That's the problem with this, it's unpredictable for your opponent, but it can messup your timing and end up getting you hurt or juggled or what not... :glare: maybe it's not a good idea to mix them all together like this but to pick and choose some how...

But I still like the idea of his arrows working like Peachy's Turnips! With your arrows and bombs you at least see what you got before decide what your going to do with it.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I think a simple change like using the Bow while holding a Bomb becoming a Bomb Arrow would be easy to implement and quite welcome. I also would have liked the Gale Boomerang having more options like grabbing items or actually pushing like I thought it would be able to; a change to the boomerang seems imminent.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Hey, it looks like they changed Link's dash attack. This time, instead of doing a running horizontal slash, he performs a leaping vertical slash. If you want proof, watch the following video at 2:40. In about three seconds, he will perform said attack on Kirby. Don't know about you lot, but I rather like this change.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
After playing Brawl Minus, I would totally love the Gale Boomerang if they made the vacuum effect stronger. If I can actually pick up foes and bring them to me as effectively as I could in Brawl Minus, I wouldn't use any other type of Boomerang!

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
THREAD REVIVAAAALLL!

I didn't notice this thread before, haha. For the sake of SCIENCE (or simply organization and consolidation) I'm going to close this thread and ask y'all to move further ponderings on what you'd like to see on Link to the older and also more recently active Changes you would like to see done to Link thread.

THREAD UNREVIVAAALLL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom