• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Changeable Announcer?

Pittoo

Smash Rookie
I'm gonna get straight to the point here; What're your thoughts on the idea of a changeable announcer (aka the guy that calls out character selections and counts down at the beginning/end of matches)? To clarify, I mean instead of one unnamed voice that announces different things in the game, there would be several different voices to choose from, more specifically the voices of Nintendo characters that weren't added as playable.

For example, Hades from Kid Icarus: Uprising is one that I think would make a good announcer. He could call out character names with his usual mischievous and sarcastic tone, even going so far as to give different characters little nicknames. Pit, for example, is "Pitty-Pat" in Uprising, so nicknames similar to that for different characters. He could even announce defeated players in his own unique way. So instead of saying "Player 1/2/3/4 Defeated", he would say something along the lines of "Player 1/2/3/4 is headed for the Underworld!".

So what do you all think? Would a feature like this be worth having? And if so, what characters would you like to see...Or rather, hear?

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
This is a good Idea. I remember with Persona 4 Arena when you beat arcade mode with a certain character you can change the announcer to that character (ex: beat arcade mode with Kanji and you can have Kanji be the announcer)

Maybe they can make it so when you beat classic mode with a character you get an announcer from that series. Like if you beat classic with Peach you get a Toad announcer or when you beat it with Pit you get Viridi as an announcer.

Pittoo

Smash Rookie
...But I liked the Bill Nye (Brawl's) announcer...
EDIT: Oops misread that completely. lol

Anyway, perhaps if a feature like this was added, they could go all-out and get the announcers for Brawl, Melee and 64 as selectable announcers.

This is a good Idea. I remember with Persona 4 Arena when you beat arcade mode with a certain character you can change the announcer to that character (ex: beat arcade mode with Kanji and you can have Kanji be the announcer)

Maybe they can make it so when you beat classic mode with a character you get an announcer from that series. Like if you beat classic with Peach you get a Toad announcer or when you beat it with Pit you get Viridi as an announcer.
I like that idea. I think that would be a great way to add some incentive to play Classic Mode with all of the characters.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
you get a Toad announcer
I'm assuming you've never heard Toad's voice if you think him being the announcer for any length of time would be a good idea.

Otherwise, I love this idea, even if we were only given the choice between a male and female announcer. However, the only characters that could feasibly be announcers are those that already have well-established voices and personalities, leaving us with pretty much just the Kid Icarus cast.

I didn't love Uprising as much as everyone else seemed to, so I wouldn't be amazingly thrilled if we got a ton of boring anime stereotypes as announcers.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I thought Pat Cashman was Brawl's announcer?

I feel like I'm missing a joke here...
Here ya go:
He is, but Pat Cashman was also known as the announcer for "Bill Nye the Science Guy".

Pittoo

Smash Rookie
I'm assuming you've never heard Toad's voice if you think him being the announcer for any length of time would be a good idea.

Otherwise, I love this idea, even if we were only given the choice between a male and female announcer. There would obviously be some balance issues; series like Metroid, Pokemon, and DK wouldn't be able to have announcers, but that doesn't mean it's not a good idea.
Here's a twist: For lols, Sakurai makes Toad the "default" announcer, forcing you to unlock the real default announcer by lasting for 30 minutes against the hardest Multi-Man Melee/Brawl mode (not sure what it'd be called in Smash 4).

You're right on Metroid (I think, anyway. Metroid's not exactly a series I'm super familiar with), but Pokémon could possibly get some kind of Gym announcer, and DK could be represented by Cranky Kong. Don't lie, you totally want Cranky belittling you for every choice you make and then ranting about the kids these days.

Here ya go:
He is, but Pat Cashman was also known as the announcer for "Bill Nye the Science Guy".

Yeah, I did know that, I just misread your post and thought you said that Bill Nye himself was the announcer. That's what I get for not wearing my glasses.

I think Link would be an excellent announcer
:smirk:
"SAWK! HIYAAA! SEIYAAAA! HAAAAA!"

^That translates to "3, 2, 1, Go!".

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956

Otherwise, I love this idea, even if we were only given the choice between a male and female announcer. However, the only characters that could feasibly be announcers are those that already have well-established voices and personalities, leaving us with pretty much just the Kid Icarus cast.

I didn't love Uprising as much as everyone else seemed to, so I wouldn't be amazingly thrilled if we got a ton of boring anime stereotypes as announcers.
I never said it was a good idea but it is an idea. I would never have toads as an announcer. If he was then by the end of the match I would have hung myself.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
Nah but seriously, guys. Imagine the following list of announcers, announcing characters/KOs and making quips midmatch:
  • Hades (Kid Icarus: Uprising)
  • Doc Louis (Punch-Out!!)
  • The Narrator (Pokemon Anime/Battle Revolution)
  • Cranky Kong (Donkey Kong)
  • The Sarcastic Wave Race Announcer (Wave Race)
  • Mr. Zero (F-Zero)
This would be lovely.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
Ha, the Sarcastic Wave Race guy would be quite funny! :laugh: I can just hear him calling out the characters' names when you pick them, and then remarking on it.

"Mario. How original."
"Sonic. Aren't you the slow one?"
"Are you serious?" (When picking Luigi)
"Mega Man. Get equipped with failure."
"Marth. Fight like a girl."

Oh, and if some of you have never heard of him before, here you go.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Maybe like Sonic Adventure 2, they could have different character announcers, but the really good ones would be hard to unlock.
Like you could unlock easy ones like Melee announcer, Brawl announcer, R.O.B. and Wii Fit Announcer.

Then rare ones would be Mario, Sonic and Snake.
Then the EXTREMELY rare one would be Luigi (For year of Luigi)
Then a dumb one like G&W xD

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
Ha, the Sarcastic Wave Race guy would be quite funny! :laugh: I can just hear him calling out the characters' names when you pick them, and then remarking on it.

"Mario. How original."
"Sonic. Aren't you the slow one?"
"Are you serious?" (When picking Luigi)
"Mega Man. Get equipped with failure."
"Marth. Fight like a girl."

Oh, and if some of you have never heard of him before, here you go.
Just imagine what he'd say instead of "CONTINUE?"

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
i want dedede from the anime. whenever a kirby would be picked to fight against anyone else, instead of saying "3,2,1, GO!" he says "clobbah dat dere kirbeh!" :p

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I think having a Male/Female option would suffice. There aren't too many Nintendo characters that would provide a good announcer voice.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
The announcer should appear in the background and you should be able to attack him...

Hey, stop in every fighting game you always wanted to beat up the referee.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
What if Reggie was an announcer???!!!!!! That would be amazing. 5 4 3 2 1... MY BODY IS READY!

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
If I could choose 5 announcers...
- Hades being hilarious
- Morgan Freeman
- Bill Nye
- JonTron
- The Pokemon Battle Revolution announcer (INMOLATED BY BLAST BURN!)

Top Bottom