• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Champion of the Sinnoh Pokémon League, Cynthia Accepts Your Challenge!! Cynthia for Ultimate

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Welp.

Goodbye money.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Welp.

Goodbye money.
And preordered :)

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
"If you can't bring down the charging Garchomp, then don't throw the unevolved Pokémon at it!"
You were expecting an Invincible reference, but it was I, Zack Snyder's Justice League!!
Also, may I please have the source.

EDIT: I found the source!

Why is Garchomp such a thic boi in that pic?
Have you ever heard of "Omni-Man Posting," more commonly known as the "'Think' Edits" ? It's basically that, but with Cynthia's Garchomp bodying the player's entire team.

Last edited:

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
When was the last time we had a proper proposal for Cynthia in Smash? I ask because I found these two posts that talks about her moveset and alternate color palettes, respectively, as well as the reasoning for her possible inclusion.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
When was the last time we had a proper proposal for Cynthia in Smash? I ask because I found these two posts that talks about her moveset and alternate color palettes, respectively, as well as the reasoning for her possible inclusion.
Ngl, it HAS been a while since I've seen one... That being said, it's nice to see folks still consider Cynthia enough of a viable option for Smash that they would be willing to put in THIS much effort for a 'Cynthia in Smash' proposal!

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so the Pokemon Presents Direct came out today, and I feel like putting out an update to keep this thread relevant.

The two relevant bits of information are...
1. We have our first look at Cynthia in game, both in terms of an official render and Battle Model...
And in terms of a "Chibi" Overworld Model.
2. We have concrete proof that there is a "Galaxy Research Team" in Pokemon Legends: Arceus, with similar predecessors/ancestors to Cyrus and Professor Rowan being among its staff, so a proper Ancient Sinnoh/"Hisui" counterpart to Cynthia may not be out of the question (although there may be a number of differences to distinguish the two, should we see who that would be).

That's all I have to say for now. Happy Trails, Trainers!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Okay, so the Pokemon Presents Direct came out today, and I feel like putting out an update to keep this thread relevant.

1. We have our first look at Cynthia in game, both in terms of an official render and Battle Model...
2. We have concrete proof that there is a "Galaxy Research Team" in Pokemon Legends: Arceus, with similar predecessors/ancestors to Cyrus and Professor Rowan being among its staff, so a proper Ancient Sinnoh/"Hisui" counterpart to Cynthia may not be out of the question (although there may be a number of differences to distinguish the two, should we see who that would be).

And thus, our queen has returned in all her glory...

smashkirby

Smash Hero

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if Legends: Arceus did reveal that Cynthia's ancestor just happened to be an empress of Ancient Sinnoh or something. Now that I mention it, wasn't there fanart of that a few months ago?

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
So I’m still working on ideas for Cynthia’s moveset, but in the meantime I whipped up a potential Palutena’s Guidance (if DLC characters had them) for her.

Palutena: “I see you’re fighting Cynthia, the Sinnoh League Champion.”
Pit: “Oh no, I can hear the piano already!”
Palutena: “Bringing back traumatic memories there, Pit?”
Pit: “The worst. Do you know how many times she’s swept my team?!”
Palutena: “493 if I recall, though you kinda had it coming for bringing a Bibarel to a Champion battle.”
Pit: “Hey! She was my main partner!”
Palutena: “Regardless, similar to Pokémon Trainer, she cycles between some of her strongest Pokémon. She typically has a well rounded team carefully crafted to cover each of her Pokémon’s bases. She virtually has no weakness. Well unless you’re a Fairy type.”
Pit: “Would my attacks count as Fairy type moves?”
Palutena: “Guess there’s only one way to find out.”
Pit: “I’LL AVENGE YOU, VIRIDI JR.!”
Viridi: “Wait, you named your BIDOOF after me?!”
Pit: “Uh…no, I was referring to my…Roserade.”

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So I’m still working on ideas for Cynthia’s moveset, but in the meantime I whipped up a potential Palutena’s Guidance (if DLC characters had them) for her.

Palutena: “I see you’re fighting Cynthia, the Sinnoh League Champion.”
Pit: “Oh no, I can hear the piano already!”
Palutena: “Bringing back traumatic memories there, Pit?”
Pit: “The worst. Do you know how many times she’s swept my team?!”
Palutena: “493 if I recall, though you kinda had it coming for bringing a Bibarel to a Champion battle.”
Pit: “Hey! She was my main partner!”
Palutena: “Regardless, similar to Pokémon Trainer, she cycles between some of her strongest Pokémon. She typically has a well rounded team carefully crafted to cover each of her Pokémon’s bases. She virtually has no weakness. Well unless you’re a Fairy type.”
Pit: “Would my attacks count as Fairy type moves?”
Palutena: “Guess there’s only one way to find out.”
Pit: “I’LL AVENGE YOU, VIRIDI JR.!”
Viridi: “Wait, you named your BIDOOF after me?!”
Pit: “Uh…no, I was referring to my…Roserade.”
Hey, not bad! If I may say so, nice D/P/P references throughout this Palutena's Guidance! By the way, is your take on Cynthia supposed to be based off of Red's (and Leaf's) current approach to the Pokémon Trainer character, but with different Pokémon (i.e. Cynthia's Pokémon)? Not criticizing you or anything, I'm just curious.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Hey, not bad! If I may say so, nice D/P/P references throughout this Palutena's Guidance! By the way, is your take on Cynthia supposed to be based off of Red's (and Leaf's) current approach to the Pokémon Trainer character, but with different Pokémon (i.e. Cynthia's Pokémon)? Not criticizing you or anything, I'm just curious.
Yeah that’s my intended approach to her, been thinking about trying to complete her moveset soon

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Yeah that’s my intended approach to her, been thinking about trying to complete her moveset soon
I see! I can't wait to see your Cynthia moveset!

I have to ask, do you all think Cynthia's ancestor might be the main antagonist of Legends: Arceus? I mean, after seeing who I assume is Cyrus' ancestor...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Gonna try and finish her moveset before the last fighter reveal. In the meantime…
There was a problem fetching the tweet
That demeanour she gives off man. Damn, I swear every time I look at Cynthia, she comes off more as looking like a villain when she really isn't. xD

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
So aside from victory animations, think I have Cynthia's Pokémon movesets figured out:

Entrance: Her first Pokémon is sent out
Down Special: Pokémon Change
Final Smash: All-Out Attack (includes Togekiss and Lucario) A cinematic Final Smash Her entire team from Platinum come out to attack

Neutral Attack: Strikes forward with both her claws before bringing down her arm fins
Dash Attack: Leaps forward and bites down
Forward Tilt: Steps forward and performs a headbutt
Down Tilt: Spins around and strikes with her tail
Up Tilt: Claws at the air above her

Side Smash: Slashes forward with her claws twice resembling Dual Chop
Down Smash: Similar to Charizard, it jumps up and stomps on the ground creating a small earthquake hitting from both sides
Up Smash: Jumps into the air and somersaults

Neutral Aerial: Somersaults with her back fin damaging opponents
Forward Aerial: Her arm fin glows and she slashes with it
Back Aerial: Backhands with her fin and spins back around
Up Aerial: Backflips and attacks with her tail
Down Aerial: Dives forward at a diagonal angle

Grab: Traps them with Sand Tomb
Pummel: Chomps the opponent
Forward Throw:Buries and drags the opponent through the ground before throwing them out
Back Throw: Puts them on the ground behind her and stomps on them
Down Throw: Throws opponent to the ground and uses fins to dig at them, hits 3 times
Up throw: Grabs them with her mouth and tosses them upwards

Neutral Special: Brick Break, A shield breaking move. Garchomp’s fin glows and she slashes forward with it

Side Special: Dragon Rush, uses Charizard’s custom move of the same name, Garchomp dashes at the opponent while spinning and will carry the opponent while damaging them on contact.

Up Special: Giga Impact, flies up and dives down at a diagonal angle, landing with an explosive force

Taunts
Up: Stomps the ground and roars
Side: Crouches and extends her arms as if she were about to fly off
Down: Dives into the ground and circles around with her fin popping out

Idle Animations
-Inhales and pretends to roar
-Puts her fins out taking an aggressive stance
Neutral Attack: Couple tail strikes and sprays the ground as a rapid jab
Dash Attack: Hops into the air and dives in a corkscrew spin forward
Forward Tilt: Performs a headbutt
Down Tilt: Spins around as she strikes with her tail
Up Tilt: Backflips and strikes with her tail

Side Smash: Crouches and headbutts forward, greatly throwing her head back
Down Smash: Spins in a ring on the floor doing water damage
Up Smash: Dives into a water pool she forms on the ground and shoots out with great force

Neutral Aerial: Forms a water ring around her and bursts it
Forward Aerial: Spins around and swats with her tail
Back Aerial: Swings her tail upwards
Up Aerial: Sprays a small fountain of water upwards
Down Aerial: Uses Dragon Tail to knock away her opponent, potential spike

Grab: Coils around her opponent
Pummel: Shoots water out of her mouth
Forward Throw: Shoots Dragon Pulse out of her mouth
Back Throw: Squeezes them and launches them behind her
Down Throw: Backflips and throws them on the ground
Up throw: Squeezes them until they pop out straight up

Neutral Special: Mirror Coat, a counter that does average damage, Doubles the damage and knockback when hit by a damage dealing special move

Side Special: Ice Beam, shoots out a concentrated stream as a projectile, has a chance of freezing the opponent

Up Special: Surf, a wave appears under Milotic as she rides on it at a diagonal angle,

Taunts
Up: Dances while summoning water rings around her
Side: leans back with her hair fins blowing in the breeze
Down: Strikes her Diamond/Pearl pose

Idle Animations
-Shakes her head shaking off excess water
-Looks behind her and checks her back
Neutral Attack: Summons purple fireballs to act as fists that rapidly jab
Dash Attack: Throws her Keystone forward in a dropkick-like manner
Forward Tilt: Leans forward and bites
Down Tilt: Spits a small flame on the ground
Up Tilt: Creates a small Shadow Ball above her head and throws it in an arc like a headbutt

Side Smash: Retreats into her keystone and pops back out with a scary face
Down Smash: Stomps the ground and sends out a wave of dark energy that hits both sides (resembles Dark Pulse)
Up Smash: Retreats into her keystone, flips over and pops back out, launching the keystone upwards

Neutral Aerial: The green orbs spread out and swirl around causing damage
Forward Aerial: Swings her keystone in upwards in front of herself
Back Aerial: Spiritomb thrusts her keystone behind her
Up Aerial: Tilts up and spins her spirit face like a propeller
Down Aerial: Retreats into her keystone and plummets straight down, can bury

Grab: Uses Psychic to grab opponents, opponents are surrounded by a purple aura
Pummel: Uses a psychic pulse
Forward Throw: Bounces opponent off ground in front of them,
Back Throw: Slams the opponent behind them in a German suplex maneuver
Down Throw: Throws opponent beneath her and stomps on them with her Keystone
Up throw: burns them with a blast of fire

Neutral Special: Will-O-Wisp-A chargeable move that puts up to three purple fireballs above her head and throws them forward

Side Special: Sucker Punch-a low-damage backward hit pulls opponents in and traps them in taking a stronger, high-damaging hit

Up Special: Ominous Wind-Spiritomb gets carried up by a whirlwind

Taunts
Up: Summons a ring of fireballs to dance around her
Side: Pulls off the Nasty Plot animation
Down: Chuckles mischievously

Idle Animations
-Looks side to side suspiciously
-Spins its fog face while silently screaming

SargeAbernathy

Smash Apprentice
I am very much on board with this idea still... even to the end! Cynthia would make a perfect Pokemon Rep. Her generation(s) are smack dab in the middle of all 8 generations ... the Sinnoh games are coming out this winter ... and she's the most well known Champion.

I'd throw her Elektross into her move set ... but only because I love that Pokemon, so I may be biased. :)

Last edited:

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Here, have one more piece of Cynthia speculation fanart before the Newcomer Speculation forums close.
And here's to the success of Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl and Legends: Arceus in the coming year! Sayonara, my Fellows! ;)

Top Bottom