• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chalupa's Pokemon Trainer Tournament Videos

Chalupa3266

Smash Apprentice
Here are a couple matches from a tourny I just got back from. Once again I was the only pokemon trainer there...lol.

Well here is one set I played, First game was kind of close, second game I pretty much took control with ivysaur, check it out!

First game :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mIjGEc_sseM

Second game:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1HYEFGvxAz8

What do you think?

I got knocked out by an aggressive olimar player, we ended up going 1-1. Then he won the third one >.<.

Oh and first game, i didnt use charizard because dedede can easily chain grab charizard.

Second game I was up a stock so for fun I used charizard, lol

Asylum_Rhapsody

Smash Rookie
I thought the time until Pokemon got tired was 2 minutes. Am I just misremembering, or did you use Ivysaur for like more than 3 minutes in the second vid?

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
Dude why did you switch from charizard to squirtle? (I mean this as a serious question incase it came off wrong?)Is he that easy to chain grab honestly? I havent come across a dedede whos done it to me saying that Ive never had a chance to experience it. Oh and he ate your upsmash as ivy very nice i love those kills. Good job on the down smash for the kill i still haven't learned to land that.

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
olimar and pt when i first heard about them and there play styles i thought they would be a wonderful challenging match up for both sides but it seems olimar just hurts >.o

Chalupa3266

Smash Apprentice
I switched because Charizard against a good DeDeDe player can be EASILy chain grabbed. Hes very big and prone to combos and grabs. Thats why =)

3transfat

Smash Journeyman
I've got to say - you've got beastly tech skill with Squirtle.
I actually thought your Ivysaur was your best, considering you murdered DDD in the second match.

Props, Chalupa.

Chalupa3266

Smash Apprentice
Thanks 3transfat.

Really it depends who im playing against. When playing on person they will say my charizard is best, i play another, they say squirtle is best, i play another, they say ivysaur is best.

Lol so i just take them as compliments, im trying to get equally skilled with all of them, not just one. It may take longer to master, but i hope it will be wroth it in the end =P

SlutMachine

Smash Journeyman
Ur PT is probably much better than mine, but I guess I might as well give one pointer...

It seems like you aren't aggressive enough when edgeguarding...I was getting frustrated everytime you waited for DDD to come back lol. It looked like DDD was just begging to get stagespiked.

Besides that ur PT is really good...especially that Ivysaur.

Chalupa3266

Smash Apprentice
Thanks slutmachine, thing is I was really nervous and didnt want to do a stupid mistake to where I get gimped as ivysaur.

Thanks for hte pointer, ill try to loosen up and edge guard =)

SlutMachine

Smash Journeyman
Yea I know what you mean...especially with Ivysaur. Going out against Toon Link would be pretty tough too since his arieals come out so fast...

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Your Ivysaur is kind of similar to mine style wise, but there's a few things I wanted to point out. Not saying I'm any better than you, by the way. You're better. :laugh:

Ivysaur's Dtilt is actually surprisingly useful, in my opinion. The knockback is good, I like to use it as a surprise for when people approach you. At least try it out, the knockback is good enough to forgive the two hits.

You use Razor Leaf a lot. I used to do this, especially on Dedede like you did in that second match, but then I stopped doing it quite as much, if only for the fact that it drives you to fatigue very quickly. This might not be bad if you're comfortable with all three of the Pokemon or even just Charizard, but it's at least something to be aware of. I still use Razor Leaf a substantial amount, but I'm always asking myself if I really need to shoot it at that moment, for the sake of keeping Ivy out as long as possible.

The only other move I have to suggest is Ivy's Nair. It's pretty useful off-stage, and it's the main move I use to rattle people loose of an edge after Fair. Especially because it has those spike properties on some of the frames, it's useful to use off-stage. I still like using it on stage, though. A lot of your Fair aproaches I would have probably used Nair for. Not to actually attack them, of course. That puts you in grab range. Just as a pseudo-attack.

Just my suggestions. Take them as you will.

ShadowDigo

Smash Cadet
You need to pratice a lot to stagespike safely with ivysaur. With charizard it is much easier.
Great job on the videos, you play a very nice pokemon trainer, obviously much better than mine.

TheLake

Smash Master
I think we both know from my vid that your better but im gonna hit ya with some stuff.

Dedede is scary to edgeguard. I used to be the same way. But as weird as it sounds sweetspoting with ivysaurs up B is quite a blessing. Charizards Fly is pretty effective too.

But yeah props on taking out D3...I freakin hate that matchup lol

Largo833

Smash Rookie
I'm definitely not an expert, but there are a few things I'd say about your PT-

Your squirtle was great overall. The only thing I'd really change is that you seem to use his down throw too often and too early. I consider it to be squirtle's best kill move, and I know it's tempting to use it as much as possible, but I'd advise making a point not to use it until your opponent is at high %, so that the move stays at full power and your chances of killing them are maximized. That, and I'd probably use his nair a little more, but your aerial game doesn't leave a lot to complain about, so stick with what works for you.

Ivysaur was fantastic- I can't think of anything you should definitely be doing differently.

I didn't see a lot of your charizard since the matchups weren't in his favor, but I would suggest using his Ftilt, his Dtilt, and maybe his Usmash a lot more- they're all wonderful moves.

That's all I can come up with at the moment. All in all, you play a great PT!

chubas

Smash Apprentice
I didn't know razor leaf went through Waddles. Certainly that DDD didn't expect that xD
I love your Ivysaur. In general plays more defensive, I'd say my Ivysaur is bad because I tend to be all aggressive. Great fights.

Chalupa3266

Smash Apprentice
Thanks a ton guys

Thanks for the compliments and criticism, thse videos are about 2 weeks old and im sure ive gotten better . Going to a tournament this saturday, going to try and get tsome videos.

So many good people here in California (DBR,Meep) ahh lol

Also I havent had a good success rate with using PT as a tourny char, I might be trying out diddy kong this tourny

Chalupa3266

Smash Apprentice
Letting everyone know that I am coming back to main Pokemon Trainer, so look out for new updated videos =D

After playing many different characters, I have begun to learn matchups and I am going to now use my knowledge to hopefully place well at my next tournament with Pokemon Trainer.

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
Good man. Hopefully I get some tourney action myself. I know most high tier match-ups well enough I would think. Just going to have to see...

Onxy

Smash Lord
I hope you FAIL like the rest!!!!

Seriously if you do win a tourney, that will be cool. Lol.

Tim_The_Enchanter

Smash Ace
I've gotta give you some props on your ivy because you're almost as good as mine ;]

Your Squirtle is lacking a lot in my opinion. I was playing against a competitive D3 and wasn't hit by a single attack until the second stock. D3's moves come out way to slow to ever get hit with Squirtle. Just keep aggressive with the fair into bairs and when the percent gets high enough, a d-throw.

Charizard can get out of the CG with his jab. D3 is pretty easy to beat with any of the 3.

In my humble opinion, D3 is one of the easier match-ups for PT.

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace

Squirtle can do NOTHING to space against D3's grab, and even if he could, he simply cannot kill him ever. Huge disadvantage. Aggressive is the WORST thing you could possibly do in that match-up. Shield pokes and consistent jabs ar needed.

Charizard CANNOT escape the CG if it's done properly, and that goes for Ivysaur as well. It's a very, very uphill fight.

Toby.

Smash Master
Just because you weren't hit by a single attack whilst fighting a completely different player, it doesn't mean the measure of a good squirtle user is to duplicate it in their match. That's a pretty tough burden to be placing on anyone :laugh:

You're also exaggerating the slowness of D3s moves. Yeah, he has quite a few slow ones, but he also has a number of attacks which are fast and/or have good range. Ftilt, dtilt and bair come to mind.

But if you have some tips that can help other people out with D3, don't hesitate to share...

Tim_The_Enchanter

Smash Ace
What are you talking about? I've never even SEEN a squirtle get CGed by a D3, let alone personally getting CGed.

I've seen videos of smashers like Chu and Chillin even getting out of his CG with the jab combo.

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
I never said Squirtle got CGd, I said he gets grabbed. When he gets grabbed, he takes ~10% each time, and he gets grabbed FREQUENTLY because his range is awful.

As I said, the CG is inescapable if done CORRECTLY.

Tim_The_Enchanter

Smash Ace
Well of course Squirt can get grabbed. lol

I meant to be agressive as in shield pressure, footstools, and a bunch of aerials.

Regarding the proper CG, I guess I've just never seen a proper CG and Charizard can grab right back. D3 isn't that hard to gimp with charizard.

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
Depends on whether or not you can Spike/Fair him before he Up-Bs or after the apex of it. It's similar to Marth in that he's really simple to kill if he doesn't counter. <_>

Tim_The_Enchanter

Smash Ace
My best is Ivy so I'm confident against anyone with her. Her ravor leaf can cut through all of D3's projectiles except the gordos. She also has bullet seed that is good against him because of his size.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Doesn't Zard get out ranged badly against him though? I don't play many Dededes.

Onxy

Smash Lord
I want to fight your Ivy with.... my Ivy? (PT vs PT).

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Very close match on the 2nd video, D3 could have just inhaled you and spit you out where you can't recover and bam he woulda won. Otherwise, you almost play like japan smash with all that Dashdancing and shorthopfastfall and mindgames

Chalupa3266

Smash Apprentice
Oh those videos are more than 2 months old, before all of the knowledge there is now about matchups. Hopefully I can get some matches up soon. What ive noticed though is that my Ivysaur can do well to space against DDD by razor leaf spamming and Bair spamming, and its very easy to hit a bullet seed.

This was a while ago (2 months old) so ya. Also in tournaments I was getting 13th place with Pokemon Trainer in 50+ people tournaments, and this wasbefore I knew how to fight Snake and Metaknights. So hopefully I can do better, plus if I dont play pokemon trainer, I find myself getting bored very easily to be honest...lol

Top Bottom