• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Challenger Approaching Screen, Returning?

darkhamsterlord

Smash Apprentice
Before I start, let me say 2 things.
1. Sorry if this is a repeat thread, I used the search function and didn't find anything though.
2. Sorry if this is the wrong place, I couldn't decide between General Brawl or Character Discussion..

Anyways, do you think the "WARNING: CHALLENGER APPROACHING" screen, followed by a fight with the challenger (who is approaching, aparrantly) is returning? At first, you'd think it is, but..

With most characters being unlocked through SSE, just imagine, you're playing as Mario or someone, and you have to fight Sonic or someone. Turns out, this is how you unlock them (beating them in SSE) so you just fought Sonic, then.. WARNING: CHALLENGER APPROACHING!! Then you have to fight him AGAIN. Sounds like it would mess with the flow of SSE, and kinda get irritating to have to repeat your battles.

There's always the chance that you won't have to fight the challenger if you unlock them through SSE, but still do if they're unlocked through Classic or something, or there's the chance that Challenger Approaching screens will either get the boot everywhere, or still show up everywhere.

So what's your opinion on whether it's returning or not?

Mr. M

Smash Journeyman
Pensacola, FL Wargh! King Dedede, how dare you be
It'll return, just not doing the SSE (like you said, it'll just ruin the experience of the SSE). Like if you unlock a character by just being them in the SSE, it won't do the fight. In other modes though, I believe it will make it's triumph-like return. :) Always loved it when it came up, kind upped the suspense.

spindash

Smash Ace
For some reason, I believe that Subspace Emmisary might work in chapters. Like, you may encounter and fight or more likely ally yourself with Sonic, but you're going to have to wait until the very end of the level or until the end of the set chapter before "WARNING! CHALLENGER APPROACHING!" appears and you get an opportunity to unlock the character. ^^

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
maybe once you beat him in SSE,he automaticly gets unlockble,no rematch

evilflame101

Smash Journeyman
Before I start, let me say 2 things.
1. Sorry if this is a repeat thread, I used the search function and didn't find anything though.
2. Sorry if this is the wrong place, I couldn't decide between General Brawl or Character Discussion..

Anyways, do you think the "WARNING: CHALLENGER APPROACHING" screen, followed by a fight with the challenger (who is approaching, aparrantly) is returning? At first, you'd think it is, but..

With most characters being unlocked through SSE, just imagine, you're playing as Mario or someone, and you have to fight Sonic or someone. Turns out, this is how you unlock them (beating them in SSE) so you just fought Sonic, then.. WARNING: CHALLENGER APPROACHING!! Then you have to fight him AGAIN. Sounds like it would mess with the flow of SSE, and kinda get irritating to have to repeat your battles.

There's always the chance that you won't have to fight the challenger if you unlock them through SSE, but still do if they're unlocked through Classic or something, or there's the chance that Challenger Approaching screens will either get the boot everywhere, or still show up everywhere.

So what's your opinion on whether it's returning or not?
well when ever a new character is updated on the dojo it says warning challenger approaching, so i would guess it would be returning, but most likeley the characters you unlock from non SSE it will happen while in SSE it will just unlock them...

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
I wouldn't be surprised if they did that for "versus match unlock requirements" (like doing 50 vs. matches for Jigglypuff) and non-SSE unlockables. However, I'm not entirely sure if it will affect SSE. Perhaps one needs to see that character in SSE, then fight them elsewhere in the game???

Matt Silver

Smash Journeyman
In a world where there is no Sakurai. Only Link...
I would lol if you fight all the characters you can unlock in a row at the end of SSE - using whatever characters you want to use.

That aside, I think it will be in chapters, and at the end of each chapter you will be scored etc, and you get a message saying: "For beating Sonic in Chapter 7, you have unlocked him for Multiplayer and other mode use". Something like that.

The Kirby Kong

Smash Journeyman
With most characters being unlocked through SSE, just imagine, you're playing as Mario or someone, and you have to fight Sonic or someone. Turns out, this is how you unlock them (beating them in SSE) so you just fought Sonic, then.. WARNING: CHALLENGER APPROACHING!! Then you have to fight him AGAIN.
Ehm, wasn't this the case with Luigi in Melee?

You had to finish the first level in Adventure Mode under a certain time, then in the next event, instead of fighting Mario and Peach, you'd fight Mario and Luigi.

And then all the way at the end of Adventure Mode, you got the Challenger Approaching scene, and you'd have to fight Luigi again.

I don't recall 100%, but I'm pretty sure that's how it went.

So even in Melee you sometimes had to fight a certain character twice to unlock it.
I wouldn't be surprised if this was also the case in Brawl. But yes, perhaps it only happens to the characters you unlock through Classic Mode.

harpuia190

Smash Ace
It could work like it does in Sonic Adventure, you unlock when you see them

BlublacMH

Smash Apprentice
I think the unlockables should be right in SE. Like if youre about to fight Luigi you have the challenger approaching screen, then a cutscene showing you finding him then the fight. That shouldnt break up the action too much

darkhamsterlord

Smash Apprentice

You had to finish the first level in Adventure Mode under a certain time, then in the next event, instead of fighting Mario and Peach, you'd fight Mario and Luigi.

And then all the way at the end of Adventure Mode, you got the Challenger Approaching scene, and you'd have to fight Luigi again.

So even in Melee you sometimes had to fight a certain character twice to unlock it.
I wouldn't be surprised if this was also the case in Brawl. But yes, perhaps it only happens to the characters you unlock through Classic Mode.
Yes, but there's a big space there. What I was referring to was fighting someone twice in a row with nothing inbetween.

FireJumpPunch

Smash Apprentice
But seeing as the SSE could get incredibly long (we've all heard the 10+ hours rumors), wouldn't it be awkward to play through the ENTIRE story before you can face and unlock a character? I think a chapter system would indeed work better here, and that you would face the new character after each chapter.

omiz144

Smash Apprentice
Maybe there is a seperate Challenger Mode. Once you meet/battle a new character, a little word-box comes up and tells you that a new challenger has been added to the Challenger Mode.

Maybe even the CM isn't just simply battle your new foe, wouldn't it be fun if you had to complete a whole set of challenges to unlock the character? And you could try as many times as you wanted?

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Or maybe it's like Melee adventure mode - you have to wait until you finish it to fight them and unlock them. Though that seems unlikely. It's probably that the screen comes up before you fight them in SSE.

cyber_turnip

Smash Rookie
The SSE is practically confirmed to play in chapters already (I'd call them levels myself but whatever).

Remember this map screen? Well my guess is that each one of those points on the map is a chapter, hence you'd get the screen and have to rematch the character at the end of the chapter like people are saying.

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
if i may reference Panda's conspiracy theoracy, Kirby may in fact be unlockable. Note that during videos we have recieved of SSE thus far, there is no "warning: challaneger apporaching" screen that comes up before you face him. I have no strong thoughts about how unlocks will work, or a preference really. Characters were never all that difficult to unlock regardless.

gigasteve

Smash Ace
I maybe you'll unlock them in coin launcher after certain conditions are met?

BLACK KNIGHT! I need more money's.

Tiamat475

Smash Journeyman
Right before the stage it should pop up the "Warning Challenger Approaching" sign. After that you go into battle, but you fight the Silhouette of the unlockable character. After that, another sign should pop up saying "Congratulations, you have unlocked the character of this area.", then you go back to your adventuring and find this so called character. OR maybe find a secret door in the stage you go in and fight to unlock characters, sounds easier.

Otherwise, I like the idea, encounter the character you find, but you fight them afterwards.

MilesPrower

Smash Journeyman
whatever the case, It'd be cool if the "Warning! Challenger Approaching!" from the DOJO appeared in-game. XD

:p Sorta silly, stupid, but kool. Likely won't happen.

I don't think it'd break up the action too much if it was in SSE. Also one of the event matches in Melee I think had you to fight Ganondorf, and then it'd go all "challenger approaching" and you'd have to go 1 on 1 with him.

Those matches usually don't last long anyway, which is why I don't think it'd break up the SSE.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Thats a good question what will happen when you go through the adventure mode will it be that a character will be unlocked as they appear in the story line or will you have to play through the adventure mode as the two characters you started with and then get the warning challenger approaching.

And if the latter is the case will the character you unlock change depending on what one of the two characters you finish it with e.g if you start as mario and pit will whom you unlock change depending on weather you finish the adventure mode with mario or pit. Gwah the more i think about this the more i want to play the adventure mode.

iLink

Smash Champion
My guess would be that the "Challenger approaching" screen would show before you actually fight that character in sse. But that's just my guess.

Rubydragon

Smash Ace

You had to finish the first level in Adventure Mode under a certain time, then in the next event, instead of fighting Mario and Peach, you'd fight Peach and Luigi.

Fix'd

10char

SmashFi3nd

Smash Apprentice

you also had to do this with ganondorf...first u fight him with 3 lives and zelda helping u. then you fight him again with only one life.

darkseraph

Smash Rookie
i hope it does come back. it feels like a traditonal thing to have it in there. the first 2 had it

Top Bottom