• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chainthrowing and Dancing Blade

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Firstly, does anyone have any videos of Marth's horizontal chainthrows? How they describe it in the FAQ is a little confusing, or can someone explain it a little better?

Secondly, why does Dancing Blade (Side+B) change its speed? I've been told that Dancing Blade takes timing, spacing each attack at about 1 second per attack, but in reality the spacing is just whenever the other attack finishes. I've tried this out, and I can fully complete Dancing Blade with that timing. But sometimes Dancing Blade executes all four attacks in nearly less than a second, if not so, and I sometimes do this on accident. Why does the timing change like that and how can I learn to activate a full Dancing Blade like that constantly? Thanks in advance.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I copied and pasted this from a GameFAQs post after no one replied for a while, so I'm referring to one of the Marth FAQs for Melee on GameFAQs.

greenpika

Smash Cadet
dude u shouldnt double post. could get u banned.

ok well youtube is full of videos and theres an entire thread about videos stickied somewhere. really just forward throw the floaties and run up to them, catch them, and f throw again. easy.

a full dancing blade? there are only 4 moves, and timing is important... u "activate it fully" when you complete all four moves. the timing can be from about one second between each slash or it can be less than half a second if you're fast enough. i heard somewhere red marth executes the four moves fasted. im not really sure, but he does do it pretty fast.

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
i really don't think the color matters man, lol. Proverbs, if you're referring to delaying the hits of the dancing blade so that you always hit with the tip then it's not that difficult. In fact, that was my very first mindgame tactic way long ago when I didn't know what I was doing.....

Regardless, it's still useful. Just wait a moment between each hit and you'll learn it. The one I find the most useful is: >B ^B ^B wait...^B (only works on some chars. Mostly Ganon). Just remember, you don't need all four hits to launch someone. I mostly just use >B>B>B since it's quick and has good launch potential and damage.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Here is a link to a youtube instructional video of Marth. I know you didn't ask for one, but it does include a clip of the forward chainthrow. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYN3PQQe490

The vid says it works only on fastfallers, but I think you can do it against floaty characters as well.

Dancing Blade does not change its speed. It has a certain window of opportunity, or timelimit, that you must press b within. In other words, you have a certain amount of time that you have to press b in. You can't press be too early, and you can't press b too late either. Really, there's a lot of time inbetween the start and the end of the move, so you have a lot of time to input the next attack, and so forth.

YOU control the speed of this move; that's what's nice about the Dancing Blade (bleh, this sentence sounds grammatically incorrect). This is pretty basic information...no offense, sorry.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I understand that I can control the speed of Dancing Blade, but I know there is a way to activate each move directly after the next and wasn't sure the exact timing for it. I've only done this a couple of times accidentally, but all four are done together in less than one second. This I like because, unlike the one second delay, all four moves are done before an opponent really knows you are starting the combo. If I can find a video where someone uses it at the speed I'm talking about I'll post it here. I can time Dancing Blade normally, but doing all four in less than one second requires a little more knowledge about the timing. Like the second attack can always be put in directly after the first attack without really waiting until the end of the hit, because the first attack is so quick, but the third and fourth take a little more practice. I'll try it out. Thanks for the advice and especially the video, I'll go watch it now. Thanks again.

Edit: Actually, in the video he uses Dancing Blade at the speed I'm trying to get it at. At around 7:30 he'll use it. Any advice for using it with quick succession like that? Or is it all experimentation?

greenpika

Smash Cadet
ok see, the last few moves, they can either be up, down, or side. each of these moves take a different amount of frames to finish. you will have to try out one you like, then practice to see how fast they take. you can't just watch someone and "absorb" their skills, although it does help. you can see how fast each attack takes, and press the b button taking the exact same time. also, it seems they are using red marth. i need to try to see if red marth realy is faster...

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Yeah, I'm decently sure color wouldn't matter; Nintendo wouldn't do that, on purpose at least. If it's just experimentation I'll just try it out, thanks you guys. I've been getting the hang of it recently. Also, if anyone else sees this, how do you use the back air to edgeguard? I can't seem to hit with it or recover from it. Thanks in advance.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Have you all noticed that whenever someone refers to a particular color being faster, it's always red? I've heard this for Link and Marth so far. I don't believe it though. You should hang on the ledge, and ledgehop off of the ledge and back air the enemy (if the enemy is below you, then you don't need to ledgehop; just let go of the ledge), then, once the back air animation ends, do whatever it takes to get back on the ledge. If the enemy is too high, then it'll be harder to hit with the back air. If that's the case, then get back on the stage and do something else. I kinda have trouble hitting with it too, but I can get back from it alright.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
You people are taking something oh so simple and making it complex.

Side-B has certain timings for the presses and you can speed it up to near fury speed..thats very simple and can only be learned through practice.

Horizontal chainthrows do not exist with good DI after the follow up f-throw, not on marth, not on peach.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Meaning it works on those other than Marth or Peach? Or...? Are there any chainthrows that can be used on non-fastfallers? That's what I'm looking for, I mostly practice with a friend who mains Samus (who has a RIDICULOUS recovery ><;; ), and she does not fastfall ;~;

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
No true chainthrows.

Fox and Falco only with the upthrow, the rest can be di-ed or jumped out without being a true chaingrab.

Shuffle d-airs against samus to elimate her cc game, learn to hop out with bairs to prevent samus's recovery with bombs, etc

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Thanks, I know I'm going to sound like a total n00b, but what is cc? I don't use abbreiviations often, they're not my style, so I'm not really keen to how people use them.

Top Bottom