• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chain Grabing Help

Terrorking91

Smash Cadet
Hello and welcome to my thread. I know how to chain grab and i can do it with some characters well. But i dont know who is best to do it against who. If people could help me make a guide to say which person chain grabs who the best that would be awesome!

(ex on how to post plz)

Donkey kong: people he can chain
Mario: people he can chain

Not only will it help me out, but it could help other people out too!

(List so far)
Bowser:
Captain Falcon:
Dr. Mario: Fox, Falco, Marth, Shiek, DK, Pikachu, Link, Young Link, Bowser, Ganon, Roy, Yoshi, and Captain Falcon, himself, Mario
Donkey Kong: Fox, Falco, C. Falcon
Falco: Marth, Peach, C. Falcon, Falco, Fox
Fox: Falco, Captain Falcon, Fox
Game & Watch: Fox and Falco
Gannondorf: Fox, Falco, Shiek, Pichu, Bowser, DK, Link, Young Link, and Roy
Giga Bowser: any non-floaty character
Ice Climbers: Everyone! (cant do it to ice climbers enless only 1 is alive)
Jigglypuff:
Kirby:
Link:
Luigi:
Mario: Fox, Falco, Marth, Shiek, DK, Pikachu, Link, Young Link, Bowser, Ganon, Roy, Yoshi, and Captain Falcon, Yoshi, Dr. Mario
Marth: Fox, Falco, (lots more i know of that, he has the best chain grab in the game)
Mewtwo:
Ness:
Peach: Fox, Falco, C. Falcon
Pichu: Fox, Falco and Captain Falcon
Pikachu: Fox, Falco and Captain Falcon
Roy:
Samus:
Sheik: Bowser, Mario, Yoshi, Dr. Mario, Ness, Sheik
Yoshi:
Young Link:
Zelda: Fox, Falco, and Falcon

Thank you Magus420 for this guide on Gannondorf and Dr. Mario!!

- '~' means it's not exact, but is pretty close. All starting %s are exact however.
- The numbers go by before the throw damage.
- Falcon, Falco, and Fox show the U-Throw range followed by the D-Throw range. Everything else is just D-Throw.
(Dr. Mario)
Bowser --------- 0~35
Yoshi ------------ 0~20 (You have to grab his eyes at the end)
DK ---------------- 8~20 (Awesome...)
Falcon ----------- 4~45, 47~130
Ganon ----------- 0~30 (Grab his right leg)
Falco ------------- 0~60, 26~200+
Fox --------------- 0~55, 48~200
Sheik ------------ 0~60 (Pivot grab as needed to get the left leg)
Link -------------- 0~30
Y Link ----------- 0~30
Pichu ------------ 0~20
Pikachu --------- 0~20
Roy -------------- 0~50

A lot of these look pretty nice on paper, but most are easily jumped out of within 15-20% of the end %s if your grab is even a little off so keep that in mind.

Pye left off a number of ones for Ganon that have a good deal more range on them than a number of the ones that are on that list for others. I don't know where the line would be drawn for being useful and not useful (I consider Marth's good even though it ends at 15% along with his other low damage ones, since it forces a DJ out of them and gets a better setup off the throw like a d-air after a few regrabs). I would think a ~30% range, which is roughly 5 regrabs, at least counts as a substantial CG so for Ganon those are:
(Gannondorf)
Bowser --------- (4) ---- 0-72
Yoshi ------------ (2) ---- 0-36 (30+ make sure you grab his eyes before he spins around)
DK ---------------- (4) ---- 21-69
Ganon ---------- (3) ---- 0-67
Falco ------------- (5) --- 12-Death (250+)
Fox --------------- (5+) - 34-Death (250)
Sheik ------------ (1) ---- 0-90 (80-90 is very tricky due to Sheik's skinny legs)
Link -------------- (3) ---- 0-74
Y Link ----------- (1) ---- 0-72 (Legs ftw)
Pichu ------------ (2) ---- 0-54 (Thank his bigass head for this one)
Pikachu --------- (1) ---- 0-37 (His tumble animation works very much in his favor to escape)
G&W ------------- (2) ---- 0-28
Roy -------------- (3) ---- 0-91 (Hooray legs!

~Thank you for any help!~

List is comeing along great! Just need more info :/

If you see anything that is wrong let me know. Also if you know any more stuff left me know :D

Terrorking91

Smash Cadet
lmao no

I don't mean chains as in real chains to grab with like links or samus'

What I mean is when you grab, throw, then grab again and keep doing it. You "chain" your grabs :D

Lol what you said is funny though :p

Hiroaki

Smash Cadet
I can imagine how 0.o
But alright..
Shiek is good at chain grabs
Her Z-Down attack keeps it going
But I don't know who against..

::Looks back at earlier post::
Wow.. That was a noobish post..

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I'm pretty sure Marth is the best chaingrabber, because he has the longest grab range. I'm pretty sure he can chaingrab fox, falco, C falcon, and shiek very well. I'm not posative on this.

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
Well, I can tell you right off the bat that the ICs can chaingrab every character in the game (when chaingrabbing themselves, they can only do it to a solo IC).

Ok, these following lists are what I'm 100% sure of. They can be and probably are incomplete, so other people will need to add to them.

Shiek can chaingrab Bowser, Mario, Yoshi, Doc, Ness, and herself.

Doc/Mario can chaingrab Fox, Falco, Marth, Shiek, DK, Pikachu, Link, Young Link, Bowser, Ganon, Roy, Yoshi, and Captain Falcon (props to Smash Mac's Doctor Mario Checkup! Taining Video, found on youtube and google video).

Marth can chaingrab Fox and Falco. His fthrow can "chaingrab" any floaty (including himself), but I'm pretty sure that's not a true chaingrab, so I don't know if you want to include it.

DK can chaingrab Fox and Falco.

Ganon can chaingrab Fox, Falco, Shiek, Pichu, Bowser, DK, Link, Young Link, and Roy. (There are more, but I only put down practical chainthrows. For example, you can chaingrab Marth from 0-15%, but that's not worth it, so I didn't add it in. Credit for this list goes to Magus' Ganon Chaingrabbing Guide, found in the Ganon boards).

Fox can chaingrab Falco, Captain Falcon, and himself.

Pikachu/Pichu can chaingrab Fox, Falco and Captain Falcon.

Peach can chaingrab Fox and Falco.

G&W can chaingrab Fox and Falco.

And finally, just here for humor, Giga Bowser can chaingrab any non-floaty character :laugh:

Again, most of those lists I'm 100% positive are not complete, but you can add what's there.

Terrorking91

Smash Cadet
Read my post again.

I said kirby CANT suck him in....at all.....no power.....nothing.....you just get hit for trying to suck him in.....thats it

DoctaMalik

Smash Rookie
lol.. i love how falco can be chaingrabbed by like everyone xD

im pretty sure CF can chain throw a few characters with u throw and some with d throw but im not quite sure who. (atleast ive done it against a few chars)

luigi can chain probably chain throw too..

sry i cant really test these atm hopefully someone else can :D

Terrorking91

Smash Cadet
ENOUGH WITH THE GIGA BOWSER CHAT LMAO!!!!!!

lol

back to the topic (which is chain throwing, Hiroaki)

going good so far but i would like to complete the list :/

pdk

Smash Lord
in my experience using sheik's dthrow -> jab -> dthrow repeatedly works well against foxes at low % (the jab resets them and pops them up slightly so they don't touch the ground before you can grab them), i doubt it could be DIed out of easily but you never know until you try i guess

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I'll just list some that need to be added.
Sheik: Ganon
Game and Watch: Falcon, Sheik, Bowser
Roy: Fox, Falco

go2chutch

Smash Cadet
i know game and watch can dthrow chain sheik and link a good bit but i dont really play him all that much, when i think he can chaingrab i usualy try when im up a stock or two and thats all i got so far

Magus420

Smash Master
Doc's d-throw CG is very much like Ganon's, except has a significantly lower max percentage partly due to his lower grab range height, and can work on CF while Ganon's cannot. I posted this in a Doc thread awhile back. It's actually:

- '~' means it's not exact, but is pretty close. All starting %s are exact however.
- The numbers go by before the throw damage.
- Falcon, Falco, and Fox show the U-Throw range followed by the D-Throw range. Everything else is just D-Throw.

Bowser --------- 0~35
Yoshi ------------ 0~20 (You have to grab his eyes at the end)
DK ---------------- 8~20 (Awesome...)
Falcon ----------- 4~45, 47~130
Ganon ----------- 0~30 (Grab his right leg)
Falco ------------- 0~60, 26~200+
Fox --------------- 0~55, 48~200
Sheik ------------ 0~60 (Pivot grab as needed to get the left leg)
Link -------------- 0~30
Y Link ----------- 0~30
Pichu ------------ 0~20
Pikachu --------- 0~20
Roy -------------- 0~50

A lot of these look pretty nice on paper, but most are easily jumped out of within 15-20% of the end %s if your grab is even a little off so keep that in mind.

Pye left off a number of ones for Ganon that have a good deal more range on them than a number of the ones that are on that list for others. I don't know where the line would be drawn for being useful and not useful (I consider Marth's good even though it ends at 15% along with his other low damage ones, since it forces a DJ out of them and gets a better setup off the throw like a d-air after a few regrabs). I would think a ~30% range, which is roughly 5 regrabs, at least counts as a substantial CG so for Ganon those are:

Yoshi ------------ (2) ---- 0-36 (30+ make sure you grab his eyes before he spins around)
Sheik ------------ (1) ---- 0-90 (80-90 is very tricky due to Sheik's skinny legs)
Pikachu --------- (1) ---- 0-37 (His tumble animation works very much in his favor to escape)
Roy -------------- (3) ---- 0-91 (Hooray legs!)

Ganon's CG on Falco is REALLY hard though, and Fox's is near humanly impossible imo. Considering the sometimes non-existant windows for error and extremely short time to read their DI they're the two hardest CGs in the game. ^^

Sheik's CG is also similar to Ganon's, but generally has a slightly higher max range on it with the higher damage ones, slightly shorter on really low damage CGs, and starts slightly later on the heavier and faster falling chars iirc. Also, it doesn't work on Fox or Falco.

G&W's CG is pretty similar to Doc's I believe, though I'm not sure how the ranges compare exactly. Probably lower though I would think.

I'm unfamiliar with how Mario's d-throw compares to Doc's as damage increases so I can't say really, but I would guess it's also likely pretty close.

Magus420

Smash Master
Well, if you're keeping all of Doc's on the list you might as well put up all of Ganon's too I suppose which are:

Ness ------------- (3) ---- 0-18 (Higher if they don't airdodge. Use dash grab for its duration)
Marth ----------- (4) ---- 0-15
Roy -------------- (3) ---- 0-91 (Hooray legs!)
Actually, maybe it'd be best to just link this for Ganon next to his name on the list, and this next to Doc to keep it less cluttered.

Top Bottom