• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chain grabbing

MadMarther

Smash Rookie
Hey all, I'm new to this b/c my account has been messed up for a while but i just got it fixed so here goes my first post. I've been a fox player since i started and my fired is a shiek player and he keeps chain grabbing me.. and I don't know how to stop it can someone help me out? Also can someone give me some advice for trying to beat marth and shiek with fox if its possible? lates

Deus

Smash Journeyman
Whens Shieks got your Fox at like 70-100%(I think its something like that) theres not really anything you can do except for just using DI to make it harder from him to grab you.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
If I were you, I'd be more scared of Peach. If she upthrows you at 0%, you can't do crap. You WILL fall down into a dsmash and take at least 35%!

Between 40%-80%, it's IMPOSSIBLE to escape her chaingrab (dunno about PAL, I can't do it... but then maybe I just suck at it. Quetzalcoatl, help! :p).

And as far up as 127%, there's nothing you can do about it if I uthrow you into a nair. Even with the best DI, you WILL eat the nair.

That's your punishment for being a fastfaller.

Fastest

Smash Ace
Chaingrabbing is ok- I don't see what the big deal is. It takes so long for shiek's whip to come out. It's so easy to get around.

Edit:

And Link/Young Link have such bad recovery off their chains it's a decent tradeoff. That's how they balance things in the videogame world. Slow and heavy, fast and weak- that's the fighter's mantra.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
is he serious ^?

if so, then chaingrabbing doesn't have to do with chains, its just grabbing over and over so the person can't escape, like sheiks down throw on gw.

Bumpma

Smash Apprentice
I've seen Vidjo chaingrab Darkrain's falcon with PIKA! Pika has terrible grab range! But seeing it done has brought hope to me! I need to practice chain grabbing. Although I have no idea at what point I need to push grab again after the first throw has been done. I just want to chain grab with Pika, like Vidjo did.

The_Krumber

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by Fastest
Chaingrabbing is ok- I don't see what the big deal is. It takes so long for shiek's whip to come out. It's so easy to get around.

Edit:

And Link/Young Link have such bad recovery off their chains it's a decent tradeoff. That's how they balance things in the videogame world. Slow and heavy, fast and weak- that's the fighter's mantra.
omg that has to be one of the funniest things ive ever heard someone say in swf....

chaingrabbing..... lol.

anyways, DI helps a little

sauce

Smash Journeyman
uh, fasting is right. Maybe not being major league A-holes to the newB's will get HugS' racist *** some more of them money matches

Here is the game's formula for chain grabbing, Fastest.

f(x) = 3x^5 - 2x^4
f'(x) = 15x^4 - 8x^3
f''(x) = 60x^3 - 24x^2
f'''(x) = 180x^2 - 48x
f''''(x) = 360x - 48
f'''''(x) = 360
f''''''(x) = 0

where x is the characters' distance of seperation from the nearest opposing hitbow wall, and f(x) = grab range. All units are obviously in pixels.... :( .
then I have taken the LIBERTY of finding up to the 6th derivative, for the people who use Photoshop v7.0 or greater.

done.

Fasting

Banned via Administration
awwww shiiit now it's ON!!!!

EDIT: ^ this post made by sauce.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
****, of all the terms I thought were self explainitory, Looks like I'll have to add this, if it isn't in the compedium already.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
You're missing a whole bunch of important things, like jumpcancel, and not just the shinekind. Or jumping out of your shield. Also the different uses of the c-stick.

Neophos

Smash Ace
The only thing you can do with C stick that you can't do with the stick and A is to change to camera angels.

And I don't think that would be needed in the compendium...

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
No, the different uses of the c-stick, like how how can do aerials with it (this is, among others, the only way to do an uair during Peach's 1st jump before it's reached its peak without automatically DJC:ing it). You can also move forward and do a bair without losing any momentum (the same works for fairing while moving backwards) and also (smash)throw items while moving forward/backward in the air without losing momentum. Fsmashing will instantly turn you around.

You can usmash out of the shield with the c-stick (and also dashcancel into an immediate usmash), use it for dashcancelled immediate dsmashes (it's kinda "duh", but n00bs don't think so), jump out of the shield with it, use it to crouch cancel and to combine crouchcancel with DI, smashthrow items like the beamsword instead of having to combine Z with the control stick...

If you tap the c-stick during an l-cancel you will do a roll the moment the l-cancel is over.

Neophos

Smash Ace
No, the different uses of the c-stick, like how how can do aerials with it (this is, among others, the only way to do an uair during Peach's 1st jump before it's reached its peak without automatically DJC:ing it).

Hold up, press X/Y, press A. Tadaa!

You can also move forward and do a bair without losing any momentum (the same works for fairing while moving backwards) and also (smash)throw items while moving forward/backward in the air without losing momentum.

Just tap light enough.

Fsmashing will instantly turn you around.

aka, just like one done with a control stick slam + A button.

You can usmash out of the shield with the c-stick (and also dashcancel into an immediate usmash)

I do that all the time with the control stick, and it's not a single frame slower.

use it for dashcancelled immediate dsmashes (it's kinda "duh", but n00bs don't think so)

Can also be done by pressing control stick down + A.

jump out of the shield with it

Press Y/X/slam control stick up.

use it to crouch cancel and to combine crouchcancel with DI

Be fast enough on your fingers, and you can do that with the control stick.

smashthrow items like the beamsword instead of having to combine Z with the control stick...

Takes some training, but possible.

If you tap the c-stick during an l-cancel you will do a roll the moment the l-cancel is over.

Press R/L + left/right.

As I said, the only thing it can do that control stick can't is change the camera angle.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
No, the different uses of the c-stick, like how how can do aerials with it (this is, among others, the only way to do an uair during Peach's 1st jump before it's reached its peak without automatically DJC:ing it).

Hold up, press X/Y, press A. Tadaa! - Will not work if you're trying to uair with Peach. She'll DJC.

You can also move forward and do a bair without losing any momentum (the same works for fairing while moving backwards) and also (smash)throw items while moving forward/backward in the air without losing momentum.

Just tap light enough. - No, it doesn't work this way. In order to bair while moving forward or fair while moving backwards, you have to let go of the direction and then tap in the other to perform the move. You WILL lose momenting.

Fsmashing will instantly turn you around.

aka, just like one done with a control stick slam + A button. - Slower!

You can usmash out of the shield with the c-stick (and also dashcancel into an immediate usmash)

I do that all the time with the control stick, and it's not a single frame slower. - I'm not sure, I haven't tried it yet (since Helios still has my copy of SSBM), can you actually usmash out of your shield without using the c-stick?

use it for dashcancelled immediate dsmashes (it's kinda "duh", but n00bs don't think so)

Can also be done by pressing control stick down + A. - Oh yeah, if you want to either have the staggering animation come out before the dsmash or have to tap down to dashcancel and then down + b to dsmash. Either way, c-sticking it is inifinite times faster.

jump out of the shield with it

Press Y/X/slam control stick up. - Never claiming what I listed were things you can only do with the stick. But they are things you can do that isn't always obvious

use it to crouch cancel and to combine crouchcancel with DI

Be fast enough on your fingers, and you can do that with the control stick. - No you cannot. You cannot perfectly DI a tipper for instance while CC:ing no matter how fast you are. Hey, you can't really perfectly DI any attack without DI:ing it before it even hits.

smashthrow items like the beamsword instead of having to combine Z with the control stick...

Takes some training, but possible. - C-stick, faster, less prone to mistakes and just more practical

Press R/L + left/right. - It might come out slower than just c-sticking it if you time it wrong

As I said, the only thing it can do that control stick can't is change the camera angle. [/B] - But most things can be done faster, better and/or more effectively using the c-stick.

Petarded

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by Bumpma
I've seen Vidjo chaingrab Darkrain's falcon with PIKA! Pika has terrible grab range! But seeing it done has brought hope to me! I need to practice chain grabbing. Although I have no idea at what point I need to push grab again after the first throw has been done. I just want to chain grab with Pika, like Vidjo did.
what I do is press z as soon was they are halfway down the length of your body,however, you have to catch them before they bounce off the ground.(this is for up throw of course) Go into training and just practice the timing. I've been practicing my peach upthrow and now I've pretty much got the timing perfect.

Gamemonk0

Smash Rookie
I tried chain grabbing with Yoshi on My friend who was sheik, but he started chain grabbing me as soon as i spit him out!

Top Bottom