• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Caught in bair and pulled below stage. Known pika technique?

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I was playing as Mario today on the demo against lvl 9 CPU Pikachu (omega). I was knocked offstage and Pik jumped at me and hit me with his bair while I was recovering.
While caught in his bair we both suddenly very quickly shot down way below the stage.

I only had my up B left I didn't even get close to recovering.
Pikachu double jumped and performed an up B to only just make it back and grab the ledge.

My best guess is that while caught in his bair he fast falled till I was too low to recover?
At the time it seemed to me like we dropped alot faster than a fast fall. But that could just have been my perception as it was a surprise to me.

I don't know much about Pikachu, so I'm curious is this a technique that people know about and use?
Else just some weird anomaly that happened on my game.

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
This is a property of all multi-hitting air attacks now.

They drag whoever they're hitting along with the attacker, so fastfalling a multi-hitting aerial to pull someone too low for them to recover is a viable tactic for characters like Pikachu, Greninja, and Wario, who have strong recoveries.

Last edited:

Zigoon95

Smash Rookie
I used a lot this trick while playing with Pikachu in the demo.
It can be successful even if you don't fastfall all that much, I could say the chance the foe fails to recover is about 50%. But sometimes the foe manages to avoid the attack, jump on you and make you fall at the bottom.
It's an high-risk trick, but maybe it will be determinant in the metagame.:4pikachu:

Last edited:

SyncNatsyu

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3007-8406-9326
This was technically possible in SSBB I believe. Except SDI, much like any other multi hit attack back then, made it easy to escape. VI as I know it, is unable to change your knockback enough to escape due to each hit of multi hit moves in SSB4 having very little knockback. Barring the finisher of course. Jabs that don't go into a finisher (like pikachu) still knock you out of range after 3 hits though, I think.

(I still don't like the term VI/Vectoring)

Last edited:

Nocally

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3840-6058-2117
It is definitely going to become an important part of Pika´s off-stage game, it already is actually.

Silokkes

Smash Rookie
This is a property of all multi-hitting air attacks now.

They drag whoever they're hitting along with the attacker, so fastfalling a multi-hitting aerial to pull someone too low for them to recover is a viable tactic for characters like Pikachu, Greninja, and Wario, who have strong recoveries.
I believe its more like some parts of the multi hits send them in a downward trajectory. Kind of like a spike.

Top Bottom