• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Caterpie (and Wurmple) is evolving for Smash Ultimate!

smash puffle

Smash Ace

C-Caterpie!?
The Worm Pokémon! Caterpie is a Bug type pokemon introduced in Generation I, being one of the original 151 Pokémon from Kanto.
It is usually one of the first pokemon the player encounters in the games, and one of the first pokemon that the player is able to evolve.

Why should it be in Smash?
Being a weak, worm pokemon makes it extremely unlikely to be in the game, but here's a concept I think would make this worm into a truly unique fighter.
Despite never happening, the Wurmple leak was quite revealing to me, so this is another one of those fun "what if" character threads I make.
Despite Gen 1 having priority over every other gen... it's still Caterpie. Although if you want to be authentic with the leak...

Then of course we can have Wurmple... or we can have BOTH! As an alt skin for each other like Alph with Olimar or the Koopalings.
Caterpie can have a rather unique mechanic that would make it stand out.

How would it play in Smash?
Caterpie can have a unique evolution mechanic. Mid battle, when it gains enough EXP, it will evolve into Metapod (aka. a different character) and after it, it would evolve into Butterfree.
An exp bar can be in the character's portrait. Similar to Cloud/Little Mac, or that level bar in Marvel Vs. Capcom, but when the bar reaches a level either by hitting or getting hit, it instantly evolves. So it's basically 3 characters in 1 like Pokémon Trainer, with a twist! To keep things simple, the character only has 3 levels.

Caterpie/Wurmple is the weakest, a little slow, but a very small character (might be the smallest and lightest character in the game), and pretty respectable ground control and decent recovery. Somewhat balanced in comparison. Metapod/Silcoon is the most durable, very hard to launch (decently heavy), but with the worst mobility and speed in the game. It also ironically the strongest that hits really hard, but with slow startup and ending lag. And Butterfree/Beautifly is a bit stronger than Caterpie, but not as resistant as Metapod. It's right in the middle, but Butterfree is the fastest of all 3, and has excellent aerial movility and recovery, but pretty lightweight.
Their special moves would be based on the moves it learns in the pokemon games of course.
Probably if the player wished, you could just select which Pokemon you want to begin a match with by selecting it from the CSS like Pyra/Mythra.
It's Final Smash would be a bug infestation of all of it's bug friends ambushing the opponent like how the Beedrill pokemon summon in Smash 64 did, but even more flashy of course.

How to support:
You can tell you want to support him of course. That's enough for me. If you really want to though, you can come up with a moveset for him. Support icons and other misc stuff are welcome too.
Feel free to support the worm if you want to. As well you're also free to not support him, I will understand.
As well I would also appreciate if you were nice... just saying.

Supporter List:
Supporters so far:
smash puffle (me)
ZagarTulip
osby
Drclaw411
NintenEdgyMan
smashingDoug
Smashing Ramen
Peridorito
Wurmple for smash
TheCJBrine
Some Beedrill
Pokelego999
JoltSmash13
silenthunder
Otoad64

Thank you for reading and have a nice day! :)

Also shoutouts to whoever made this amazing leak image

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Wurmple and Beautyfly are two of my favourite Pokémon, please add me as a supporter.

JoltSmash13

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3196-7112-8608
I SUPPORT
Would weedle and caterpie have different mechanics? I mean wurmple is poison type too (if I remember correctly) and dustox is more like a moth.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
you know what, I support.

Caterpie could potentially be a great joke character, and the EXP and evolution gimmick is something that makes sense to be represented

Top Bottom