• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cartoon Grand Prix: Animated Racing Game Creation Thread

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
There are many different combinations of the different popular thread topics, two topics however have never been put together, animation and racing.

Well today that will be over as this thread is dedicated to the creation of a cartoon racing game crossover, with a mix of various gamplay mechanics from other franchises.

This will specifically deal with western animation, not anime as I personally am not all that knowledgable of it.

This will take the Sonic and All Star approach to racing, each character will have a vehicle capable of changing from a car to plane to boat and each course will take advantage of a specific facet of those transformations. It also featured Diddy Kong Racing's stackable items where chaining the same will upgrade and change it.

Roster:
Spongebob (Boat) (Stats)
Mickey Mouse (M-28) (Stats)
Bugs Bunny (Carrot Kart) (Stats)
Homer Simpson (Pink Family Sedan) (Stats)
Shrek
Rick Dastardly
Doreamon
Pinky and the Brain
Powerpuff Girls
Gumball Waterson
Wallace and Gromit

Items:
Radioactive Bar (Effect)
Bubble Shield (Effect)
Krappy Patty (Effect)
Onion (Effect)
Hunny (Effect)

Tracks:

Inkwell Cup
1. Springfield
2. Steamboat River
3. Roadrunner Canyon
4. Shrek's Swamp Circuit
5. Elmore Junior High

Cup 2
1. Toy Palace

Battle Modes:
Capture the Flag
Battle Royale

Battle Arenas:
Springfield Power Plant
Goo Lagoon

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Job 1
Submit a first track
We all need to start somewhere and the first track is where we will start, as previously stated each track will have land, sea, and air sections, and will be labeled accordingly. The goal is too create a track from one of four following franchises:
Spongebob
Mickey Mouse
Looney Toons
Simpsons
Being the first track of the game it should be quite simple to navigate, but that dosnt mean it needs to be simple to look like, as this track will also have some visual flair to it, describe the layout, appearance, and lap count, use the template below to show that:

Name:
Franchise:
Lap Count: 1-8 is the amount of laps you can have
Terrain: Describe if there is Land, Sea, and Air sections (example: Terrain: Land/Air)
Description and Layout:

Job 2
Submit an item
Again use the previously mentioned four franchises and take an item from those franchises to be used, this item can be stacked with others of the same item to upgrade it, describe the effects of the base item and all three different upgrades by using the template below:

Item:

Franchise:

Base Form Effect:

First Upgrade:

Second Upgrade:

Final Upgrade:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Job 1
Submit a first track
We all need to start somewhere and the first track is where we will start, as previously stated each track will have land, sea, and air sections, and will be labeled accordingly. The goal is too create a track from one of four following franchises:
Spongebob
Mickey Mouse
Looney Toons
Simpsons
Being the first track of the game it should be quite simple to navigate, but that dosnt mean it needs to be simple to look like, as this track will also have some visual flair to it, describe the layout, appearance, and lap count, use the template below to show that:

Name:
Franchise:
Terrain: Describe if there is Land, Sea, and Air sections (example: Terrain: Land/Air)
Description and Layout:

Job 2
Submit an item
Again use the previously mentioned four franchises and take an item from those franchises to be used, this item can be stacked with others of the same item to upgrade it, describe the effects of the base item and all three different upgrades by using the template below:

Item:

Franchise:

Base Form Effect:

First Upgrade:

Second Upgrade:

Final Upgrade:
Job #1: Springfield (The Simpsons)

A track that takes you through the town of Springfield, it takes you all over Springfield and past (and even through!) a ton of different landmarks! Some ideas I had included driving up the path to Mr. Burns' house and then having to drive down the hill on the way down, and even ending the race in the Springfield Nuclear Power Facility! However, as opposed to being in the form of laps, this one is in the form of a single track similar to, say, Mount Wario in MK8.

1639528214929.png

Job #2: Radioactive Bar (The Simpsons)

Base Form Effect: The base form effect somewhat increases your character's speed for a short while.
First Upgrade: It works more like a Mushroom, largely increasing your speed but for the same amount of time.
Second Upgrade: It also increases your speed even more, as well as marginally increasing the length of time you can keep it.
Final Upgrade: As well as increasing speed and time, it makes you radioactive - knocking other players out when you hit them like a Star!

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Job #1: Springfield (The Simpsons)

A track that takes you through the town of Springfield, it takes you all over Springfield and past (and even through!) a ton of different landmarks! Some ideas I had included driving up the path to Mr. Burns' house and then having to drive down the hill on the way down, and even ending the race in the Springfield Nuclear Power Facility! However, as opposed to being in the form of laps, this one is in the form of a single track similar to, say, Mount Wario in MK8.

View attachment 340282

Job #2: Radioactive Bar (The Simpsons)

Base Form Effect: The base form effect somewhat increases your character's speed for a short while.
First Upgrade: It works more like a Mushroom, largely increasing your speed but for the same amount of time.
Second Upgrade: It also increases your speed even more, as well as marginally increasing the length of time you can keep it.
Final Upgrade: As well as increasing speed and time, it makes you radioactive - knocking other players out when you hit them like a Star!
Maybe you could fly down those radioactive plant tubes and go though radioactive speed rings, loads of good concepts

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
downloadfile-6.jpg

Name: Mickey's Clubhouse
Terrain: Land/Air
Franchise: Mickey Mouse
Laps: 2
Description: Taking place in the titular clubhouse, Mickey has developed many fun and quirky mechanisms in this track. As you enter the front door you encounter many gears in the shape of Mickey's head forming various spinning platforms, though not too fast to be overwhelming, this lap plays like a traditional circuit lap, as you exit the gear area you enter the back yard with a pool and giant balloon toys acting as a straight road, the walls are bouncy though so be careful to not fall into the water.

Lap 2 changes however as the goal becomes a ramp and you are blasted into your vehicle's plane form, you then go around the clubhouse entering rings to get speed boosts, you then dive into the now empty pool and enter a vertical shaft where handy helpers carry rings side to side of up and down, after that you enter a land ring and do one final dash to the goal in the basement where the handy helpers supply moving ramps and try to push you aside, overall a fun start to the game.

Item: Bubble Sheild

Base Form: Provides a sheild that protects against one attack, will pop when colliding with a car or wall

First Upgrade: Collisions no longer pop it, instead they bounce the opponents away

Second Upgrade: Gains protection from 3 hits instead of just one, will still pop when colliding with an explosion

Final Upgrade: Now the bubble is electrified and causes a shock attack if an opponent collides with it

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
The two items (Nuclear Rod and Bubble Sheild) will be included, but we still need to vote on the tracks

Springfield
Mickey's Clubhouse

Vote for which you would rather have and why

Job 3
Submit a Character
Submit a new character, this character must be a western animation character, no anime, web animations aren't allowed, and if it's from an adult show it needs to be censored in some way, if so why.

Job 4
Submit a Character's signature vehicle
Each character will have a signature vehicle that they identify with in computer races and potential story modes, this vehicle will have the capabilities to turn into a car, plane, or boat for certain terrains, describe the vehicle's apperance in all three forms (land, sea, and air), it doesn't have to be based on anything iconic, but it should be identifiable as that's charecter's signature vehicle.

Also list the stats of each vehicle from 1-5 stars using this template:

Speed (how fast is it normally)
Acceleration (how fast does it take to reach its top speed)
Handling (how good is it at sharp turns)
Drift (how is its abilty to move left and right)
Weight (1 is lighter and more vulnerable to items and 5 is Visa Versa)

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Also these are the 4 characters that need signature vehicles
Spongebob
Homer Simpson
Mickey Mouse
Bugs Bunny

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Well, given I submitted Springfield, I will put my vote in for Mickey's Clubhouse. :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Job #3: Batman

1639604643720.png

Whilst Batman technically originates from DC Comics, he's had enough animations to the point where he'd probably work quite well here. I'm specifically going to use his design from The Brave and the Bold, as it works well as a composite between various different looks of his whilst also having an animation-like style. As much as I want to submit something weird, like the entirety of the Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Batman is an intensely recognisable and important character to the history of animation as a whole. I know that he technically doesn't count, but he makes sense here in this iteration at least.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Job #4: Pink Family Sedan (1973 Plymouth Valiant)
1639604779892.png

Being the car most commonly associated with the Simpsons as a whole, it's an obvious choice. It'd have to be edited a little - removing the roof and shrinking it a little to make it more suitable for a traditional kart racer, but otherwise I think it's a recognisable pick. Also, I'd like to suggest that Maggie could be in the back of the car in her car seat, and it's just implied that Homer... hasn't noticed. Whilst it maintains the same basic battered sedan look overall, it makes minor edits in order to become a plane (having rockets in the boot, in reference to the rocket car from Hit and Run) and rolling the wheels upward into the chassis for boat form.

Speed - :starman::starman::starman::starman:
Acceleration - :starman::starman:
Handling - :starman::starman::starman:
Drift - :starman::starman:
Weight - :starman: :starman: :starman: :starman:

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Well, given I submitted Springfield, I will put my vote in for Mickey's Clubhouse. :D

Job #3: Batman

View attachment 340382

Whilst Batman technically originates from DC Comics, he's had enough animations to the point where he'd probably work quite well here. I'm specifically going to use his design from The Brave and the Bold, as it works well as a composite between various different looks of his whilst also having an animation-like style. As much as I want to submit something weird, like the entirety of the Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Batman is an intensely recognisable and important character to the history of animation as a whole. I know that he technically doesn't count, but he makes sense here in this iteration at least.

Job #4: Pink Family Sedan (1973 Plymouth Valiant)
View attachment 340385

Being the car most commonly associated with the Simpsons as a whole, it's an obvious choice. It'd have to be edited a little - removing the roof and shrinking it a little to make it more suitable for a traditional kart racer, but otherwise I think it's a recognisable pick. Also, I'd like to suggest that Maggie could be in the back of the car in her car seat, and it's just implied that Homer... hasn't noticed.
I can allow licensed characters as long as they are specifically based on a cartoon incarnation, also you didn't describe the apperance for your vehicles sea and air form as well as its stats

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Stage vote: Springfield.

I think there's better choices for Mickey than the Clubhouse.

SpongeBob car submission:
Boat

I'd love to submit the Patty Wagon or Invisible Boatmobile, but something more standard would work for the base car. Stats are designed to be... reckless.

Speed - 5
Acceleration - 5
Handling - 1
Drift - 1
Weight - 2

In the air it becomes a submarine (Thanks Glubbfubb Glubbfubb ) and on the water it becomes a regular car because of course it does.

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
downloadfile-7.jpg

Shrek
Shrek is basically a must in these thread, having his own racing game in Shrek Smash and Crash Racing, this game would show his more competitive side in a place where he enjoys winning.

downloadfile-8.jpg

Mickey
M-28
Comparable to Mario Kart's B Dasher, this kart would be the balanced one having reliable speed, handling, and drift, and above average everything else, he would transform into a classic early 20th century plane in reference to his debut short Plane Crazy, and he would turn into a futuristic steam boat in reference to his other debut short Steamboat Willy.

Speed: 3/5
Acceleration: 4/5
Handling : 3/5
Durft: 2/5
Weight: 2/5

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Stage vote: Springfield.

I think there's better choices for Mickey than the Clubhouse.

SpongeBob car submission:
Boat

I'd love to submit the Patty Wagon or Invisible Boatmobile, but something more standard would work for the base car. Stats are designed to be... reckless.

Speed - 5
Acceleration - 5
Handling - 1
Drift - 1
Weight - 2
Good choice, it could turn into a speed boat in the water and a submarine in the air

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Love those ideas! I do have a different idea for underwater though...
That's cool, if you do insert it into your entry so that others wont have to fill the gaps, this game will have sonic all star styled vehicles that can turn into cars, planes, or boats/hovercrafts

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
It was hard choice, but I vote for Springfield, just for how iconic the town has become.

Job #3: D Rick Dastardly (Wacky Races)
766B3AD6-7E4A-465E-A6B9-264BE2C0E8F1.png

Rick Dastardly is one of the main racers from the classic Hanna Barbara series, Wacky Races. Rick Dastardly is well-known for his schemes that always backfire and his ability to always come in last place. Even though he is well known for losing, he is still seen as one of the most iconic racers, even getting his own spin-off cartoon.

Job #4: Carrot Kart (Bugs Bunny)
9FBC4DF2-659A-4062-9DCB-7C40B8CDE59C.jpeg

This vehicle would be a kart in shape of a carrot (exactly like the above image). The image above is how it would look like in it’s land form. For it’s sea form, the kart would change it’s shape to become a carrot speed boat. For it’s air form, plane wings will launch out of the carrot kart, becoming a carrot jet.

Speed 4/5
Acceleration 4/5
Handling 3/5
Drift 2/5
Weight 2/5

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Since we have 1 signature car for each character I'm going to include them all

Those being
M-28 (Mickey)
Pink Family Sedan (Homer Simpson)
Carrot Car (Bug Bunny)
Boat (Spongebob)

Now we still need to vote for racers

Batman
Shrek
Wallace and Grommit
Rick Dastardly

Vote for your top 3, you may vote for your own in 2nd or 3rd place, the top 2 voted will be included

Springfield will be our first track as well

Job 5
Submit a mainly Sea and/or Air track
With Springfield being a mainly Land themed track, the second track should revolve around the Air or Sea based track, submit a track that mainly uses Air and/or Sea vehicles, it has to be either Mickey, Looney Toons, or Spongebob themed as well, use the following template

Name:
Franchise:
Description and Layout:

Job 6
Submit a better name for this thread
This thread is too long of a name for my taste, we should make a new name for this thread that shows the goals of the thread (Cartoon Racing Game) while also sounding like an actual game title

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
1. Dastardly
2. W&G
3. Shrek

Name: Saturday Morning Speedway

Track: Goo Lagoon
Franchise: SpongeBob
Lap Count: 4
Terrain: Land on the pier, sea on the lagoon itself, and a short air period on a rollercoaster

This is based on Battle for Bikini Bottom mostly. You drive across the pier for the first two laps, there's en extremely brief flight up and down a helterskelter than plunges you onto the goo itself and in the last two laps you drive on the water.

I don't know if this counts as "mostly air/sea", so I can make small changes if needed.

Last edited:

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
1. Shrek
2. Dastardly
3. Wallace and Gromit

Track: Steamboat River
Franchise: Mickey
Lap Count: 3
Terrain: Land/Sea
4162D8A3-EC63-4D61-9844-839D28AE7C07.jpeg

For this track, you start on land in the world of the Steamboat Willie cartoon. Not so far away, there is a dock. You drive off the end of the dock into the river. You spend most of the time driving on the river. There are countless steamboats that drive around, including the steam boat driven by the mouse. Eventually, you drive up a ramp that sends you back on land to the finish line.

Job #6: Cartoon All-Stars Racing

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
1. Shrek
2. Dastardly
3. Wallace and Gromit

Track: Steamboat River
Franchise: Mickey
Lap Count: 3
Terrain: Land/Sea
View attachment 340463
For this track, you start on land in the world of Steamboat Willie. Not so far away, there is a dock. You drive off the end of the dock into the river. You spend most of the time driving on the river. There are countless steam boats that drive around, including the steam boat driven by Steamboat Willie. Eventually, you drive up a ramp that sends you back on land to the finish line.

Job #6: Cartoon All-Stars Racing
Steamboat Willie is the boat, not the mouse.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Batman
Shrek
Dastardly
downloadfile-2.jpg

Jellyfish Feilds
Spongebob
Air/Sea
3 Laps
Taking place in the iconic jellyfish habitat, Jellyfish Fields is a rather open course, the main gimmick is the titular jellyfish who would often link together into electric barriers, being a mainly air course that is actually a big obstacle. First you fly over the vast feilds of Jellyfish Feilds avoiding the aforementioned Jellyfish blockade, then you see a pair of cavern entrances, the one on the left has more tighter turns but less obstacles while the cavern on the right is more straight but has more jellyfish blockades.

Both caves lead to a giant hive of Jellyfish where you enter loops shaped like honeycomb and avoid blobs of jelly, then you encouter a Sea Vehicle ring and turn the car into its sea form, you then use the now transformed car to ride down a water fall and avoid exploding barrels before heading back into the air and restarting the track for the next lap.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
1. Dastardly
2. W&G
3. Shrek

Name: Saturday Morning Speedway

Track: Goo Lagoon
Franchise: SpongeBob
Lap Count: 4
Terrain: Land on the pier, sea on the lagoon itself, and a short air period on a rollercoaster

This is based on Battle for Bikini Bottom mostly. You drive across the pier for the first two laps, there's en extremely brief flight up and down a helterskelter than plunges you onto the goo itself and in the last two laps you drive on the water.

I don't know if this counts as "mostly air/sea", so I can make small changes if needed.
The job asked for a track that had an air and or sea section, so its good

D

Deleted member

The no anime and no Web rules seem kind of arbitrary

Anyway

Rick Rastardly
Shrek
Batman

All the submissions where good though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yiptap

Smash Lord
1. Wallace and Gromit
2. Shrek
3. Rick Dastardly
Also, I really feel that anime should be allowed, as its basically just saying that anything that isn't Japnanese is allowed. There should be a better reason for anime being banned than just being unfamiliar with anime. (It's not like anime would get special priority)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think if we do allow anime we should prioritise characters like Shin Chan and Doraemon who would fit the aesthetic and general tone better.
This also feels kind of arbitrary. But it's up to the thread owner obviously.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I might include anime but I dont really want every entry to be shonen characters, as someone who also dosnt know much about anime I dont want to go out of my way to include restrictions without looking like a tyrant

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Shrek and Rick Dastardly will be included

Jellyfish Feilds
Goo Lagoon
Steamboat River

Vote for your top 2, you may vote for your own in 2nd place

Saturday Morning Speedway
Cartoon All Star Speedway

Vote which would you rather have as the title

Job 5
Submit a Non Shonen Anime Character
I decided to relent on the no anime rule, however to make sure they fit with the game I'm making the first anine job not have any Shonen characters like Goku or Naruto, that would probably be more down the line

Job 6
Submit an Item
Submit an item from any of the 6 currently represented franchises
Mickey
Spongebob
Looney Toons
Simpsons
Shrek
Wacky Races

In this game by stacking items like in Diddy Kong Racing you can upgrade them so describe the base effect and the effect of the three upgrades

Base Effect:

Upgrade 1:

Upgrade 2:

Upgrade 3:

Job 7
Submit an Air Based Track
With all entries being sea based, this job will now focus on air based tracks, submit a track based on an unrepresented racer franchise and use the template

Name:
Franchise:
Description and Layout:

The franchises eligible for this job

Looney Toons
Mickey
Wacky Races
Shrek

D

Deleted member

Sorry if I came off as pushy on the anime thing (honestly the Web cartoon rule is the weirder one imo.). I don't actually care that much haha.

Ed and Ein (Cowboy Bebop)

Cowboy Bebop is maybe one of the most popular anime of all time. But rather than a character like Spike or Fey, I think including Ed would be a fun idea as they're very wacky and expressive, Ein would obviously accompany them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Item: Krabby Patty

Mushroom equivalent

Enhanced: Jelly Patty

Double Mushroom equivalent - you can tell how much is used from bites

Double Enhanced: Tartan Pretty Patty

Triple Mushroom equivalent

Triple Enhanced: Double Triple Bossy Deluxe on a Raft 4x4 Animal Style Extra Shingles with a Shimmy and a Squeeze Light Axle Grease Make it Cry Burn it and Let it Swim

Golden Mushroom equivalent

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Item: Krabby Patty

Mushroom equivalent

Enhanced: Jelly Patty

Double Mushroom equivalent - you can tell how much is used from bites

Double Enhanced: Tartan Pretty Patty

Triple Mushroom equivalent

Triple Enhanced: Double Triple Bossy Deluxe on a Raft 4x4 Animal Style Extra Shingles with a Shimmy and a Squeeze Light Axle Grease Make it Cry Burn it and Let it Swim

Golden Mushroom equivalent
Could you tell us the exact detail of how the item works

Also track submitions are open, just follow the rules

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
downloadfile.jpg

Duloc Circuit
Shrek
Land/Air
4 Laps

A castle circuit, this stage features various guards and other patrollers acting as obstacles on the land segment. Using tight 90 degree turns with mud to slow your down as a way to add more challenge to the track. Then you encouter s giant version of the classic Duloc music player acting as a clockwork area with a more carnival sounding version of the normal theme.

Then you encouter the dungeon and blast out in the air, Dragon acts as your main obstacle creating a place filled with literal rings of boosting fire over the castle which also breathing her own fire balls dotting the sky. Then you enter the wrecked wedding hall and avoid failing chandeliers and debris swinging as obstacles, rinse and repeat for 3 more laps.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Btw I will hope people would also submit some tracks, dont want just 1 track submission

Top Bottom