• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon Trials - For Newer and Expert Falcons

thespymachine

Smash Ace
Don't know how to change the thread title - won't let me do it with simple post edit. But that is a good idea.

Good idea with the link to the MUs.

- - - - - - - -

Does anyone use the 20XX hack pack? If so, are there any trials that can be done with that? (exclusively and/or in addition to what is currently up)

Also, someone who knows Gravy, get him in here, please.
Same with Jeapie.

kyaputenfarukon07

Smash Journeyman
I think you can change the title with thread tools drop down list above the op. I tested it on one of my threads in the NintenZone, Legend of Zelda forum and there was an option that allowed me to do so. I dont know if its some Xenforo platform thing, but my thread was created before the whole migration to the new smashboards.

EDIT: If someone got control of the index page and updated it with new stuff that would be great. The amount of searching through all the boards would be too long.

LOOOOOL

Last edited:

The Shadow

Smash Apprentice
What about perfect wavelanding? I have extreme difficulty with this, because when i try F-jumping and doing this it's just Air-dodge. Does anyone have an idea of the timing?

thespymachine

Smash Ace
What about perfect wavelanding? I have extreme difficulty with this, because when i try F-jumping and doing this it's just Air-dodge. Does anyone have an idea of the timing?
You'll really have to get the timing down for yourself.
The best advice I can give is that the 'bottom' of Falcon's 'body' when he's wave-dashing/landing is below his knees (not his actual feet). Other than that, just practice it up. Once you have the visual cues down it'll be easier to just get the basic timing down.

Keep practicing.

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
Does anyone use the 20XX hack pack? If so, are there any trials that can be done with that? (exclusively and/or in addition to what is currently up)

Also, someone who knows Gravy, get him in here, please.
Same with Jeapie.
I've been using the 20XX hack pack and there are a few things that I use in my regimen. The computers now do random techs so you can practice tech chasing, they can spam moves out of shield (after a hit), as well as spam SHB (Falco) and spacies shield pressure where you can practice PSing and OoS options respectively.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
I've been using the 20XX hack pack and there are a few things that I use in my regimen. The computers now do random techs so you can practice tech chasing, they can spam moves out of shield (after a hit), as well as spam SHB (Falco) and spacies shield pressure where you can practice PSing and OoS options respectively.
Awesome. I've still yet to try the hack pack.
If you're willing, could you help me with these few things then? I'm going to whip up some example trials that could be used in with the hack pack - you let me know if they will work, and add in any sort of setup descriptions necessary:

21. Tech Chasing
[add your setup description here]
With Fox at 0%, dthrow.
Easy: Tech chase and regrab to dthrow again (before Fox does a move)
Medium: get 3 regrabs then knee
Tough: get [some amount of regrabs] to stomp to regrab to knee

22. Falco Laser PSing
[add setup description here]
Easy: PS a Falco laser
Medium: PS lasers as you approach (walk or dash)
Tough: PS a laser and follow up with a knee

23. OoS options
w/ Fox pressure
Easy: WV OoS away
Medium: Instant Uair OoS (see #4)
Tough: on platform, shield-drop and uair Fox

Also, if you see any hack pack applications on any of the already created trials, could you please point them out to me?

[You don't have to do this. I've just been having trouble getting the hack pack to work on my Wii, but I do plan on getting it to update this.]

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
Awesome. I've still yet to try the hack pack.
If you're willing, could you help me with these few things then? I'm going to whip up some example trials that could be used in with the hack pack - you let me know if they will work, and add in any sort of setup descriptions necessary:

21. Tech Chasing
[add your setup description here]
With Fox at 0%, dthrow.
Easy: Tech chase and regrab to dthrow again (before Fox does a move)
Medium: get 3 regrabs then knee
Tough: get [some amount of regrabs] to stomp to regrab to knee

22. Falco Laser PSing
Easy: PS a Falco laser
Medium: PS lasers as you approach (walk or dash)
Tough: PS a laser and follow up with a knee

23. OoS options
w/ Fox pressure
Easy: WV OoS away
Medium: Instant Uair OoS (see #4)
Tough: on platform, shield-drop and uair Fox

Also, if you see any hack pack applications on any of the already created trials, could you please point them out to me?

[You don't have to do this. I've just been having trouble getting the hack pack to work on my Wii, but I do plan on getting it to update this.]
Sure thing, I look forward to trying these out!

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Regarding point#5 of original post:

You can ledge-jump into Knee and regrab the ledge if you're basically frame perfect. It's not so hard if you drop + X/Y + A toward the stage then fade back. This motion can also lead you to ledge-canceling a Knee and from there you can do another aerial.

Hee443

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hee443
3DS FC
0087-2817-2596
Regarding point#5 of original post:

You can ledge-jump into Knee and regrab the ledge if you're basically frame perfect. It's not so hard if you drop + X/Y + A toward the stage then fade back. This motion can also lead you to ledge-canceling a Knee and from there you can do another aerial.
I never even considered this, even though this is frame perfect I think I'll spend some time in the lab with this.

Falcon Funk

Smash Rookie
I can do an instant uair with the c-stick but not very consistently. Should I try to get more consistent with the c-stick or just switch to using the control stick and A?

Last edited:

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I would also like that question answered

Should I try to get more consistent with the c-stick or just switch to using the control stick and A?
I can get near-instant UAir with C-Stick so that I hit a standing Marth most of the time, but it's not as consistent as I want it to be.

I've been wondering which way's the best in the long run, or how hard it is to use each method for instant UAirs:
a.) Jump w/ X/Y, press CStick UP -- I have some success hitting the jump button with the tip of my thumb then the CStick with the lower part of my thumb, but it's tricky.
b.) Jump w/ X/Y, Control stick slightly up + press A.
c.) Jump OoS w/ CStick UP, UpAir by pressing CStick UP again. -- Use Out of dash, shield stop, etc. This isn't hard to make instant, but it's a lot more effort than the rest.
d.) Jump OoS w/ CStick UP, UpAir by Control stick tilted slightly up + press A. -- super silly, but it's an option.

Devilsbabe

Smash Rookie
Not using X/Y and c-stick means you're sacrificing control of your jump. I'm practicing this right now actually and it is definitely harder than up and A if you're not clawing but worth it IMO. I'm testing out short hopping with the tip of my thumb on Y and using the base to hit up on the c-stick in a continuous forward motion. Does anyone here do it like that?

BauxFalcon

Smash Apprentice
Not using X/Y and c-stick means you're sacrificing control of your jump. I'm practicing this right now actually and it is definitely harder than up and A if you're not clawing but worth it IMO. I'm testing out short hopping with the tip of my thumb on Y and using the base to hit up on the c-stick in a continuous forward motion. Does anyone here do it like that?

I've been practicing that, but I usually get JC upsmash if I'm too quick with the c-stick.

TheLonelySpaghetti

Smash Rookie
I don't really using wavelanding exclusively (it's always incorporated with moonwalking), so I'm having a difficult time figuring out what you could do.
I did update the Waveland from edge section though:

13. Wavelands from Ledge

Easy: ledgedrop, second-jump, waveland onto stage
Medium: ^ waveland backward to ledgegrab
Tough: ^ waveland off stage, second-jump, waveland onto/off platform (BF & DL)
Touger: ^waveland off stage, second-jump, [1] waveland across platform (toward the edge you didn't just come from), jump, [2] waveland across top platform in same direction, drop, [3] waveland the side platform (now in the opposite direction), jump, [4] waveland top platform (continuing direction), drop, [5] waveland side platform (changing direction), repeat

(me draw REAL good, lol)

AWESOME guide! This provides me with so much stuff to do.

Can you re-post the picture you put for #13 (tougher) please? Really wanna try this out to improve my mobility but I cannot see the picture!

babyface_pete

Smash Rookie
as someone who is really new to the competitive scene of melee i just want to say. i love you. this is awesome. smashboards is awesome.

Wusigi Dr

Smash Rookie
NNID
wusigidr
3DS FC
1134-7536-9351
Anyway that the broken GIFs could be fixed? :( this has been helping a lot and the visual reference helps a lot too.

Top Bottom