• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon: Patch 1.0.8 Nerfs/Buffs

Jrzfine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jrzfinest
3DS FC
1762-3319-6557
Discuss. Is the Cap still in his full glory or has his manliness been nerfed?

Darthrai

Smash Cadet
Apparently his up air was nerfed in damage (10% with feet, 11% with thigh). Hopefully they haven't nerfed him to Brawl levels just because scrubs want their precious Megaman to be unbeatable.

D

Deleted member

Apparently his up air was nerfed in damage (10% with feet, 11% with thigh). Hopefully they haven't nerfed him to Brawl levels just because scrubs want their precious Megaman to be unbeatable.
Can confirm that Uair is 11% instead of 13%, R.I.P. :4falcon: 30% combos.

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
How badly is the knockback nerf on it? Or is the up air the same knock back but a % difference?

LuLLo

Smash Ace
EDIT: I was wrong

Falling Uair combo's are a little different because Uair's knockback has been reduced, but it's mostly just percentages. Uair to knee still works like a charm, but it seems to just be at 5-10% later than usual. Uair to jab still links at 0%. Downthrow combo's still work, Dthrow->Nair->Uair is still a combo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Throw percentages: Uthrow 7%, Dthrow 6% (unchanged?), Fthrow 9% (from 12% I believe) and Bthrow 9% (also from 11 or 12% I believe). Bthrow still kills pretty good at the ledge, it doesn't seem that different except for damage output.

Falling Uair combo's are a little different because Uair's knockback has been reduced, but it's mostly just percentages. Uair to knee still works like a charm, but it seems to just be at 5-10% later than usual. Uair to jab still links at 0%. Downthrow combo's still work, Dthrow->Nair->Uair is still a combo.
Looks like I'll have to memorize new percentages for Uair setups, thanks for the general range that they've been changed to.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
So, are we badly affected by this? Or do we just need to adjust?

Edit: Never mind, didn't read two posts above of me.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Up air does a little less. I think Back Air sweet spot too. It's barely noticeable and it doesn't seem to effect our combo game much at all. He feels basically the same. They also left LFK alone (thank god).

D

Deleted member

They also left LFK alone (thank god).
Considering infinite lightweight is STILL in the game, I'm honestly not surprised that any customs are being balanced. When Sakurai said that customs were for cheating with friends, he meant it (besides Dragon Rush, poor :4charizard:. At least he has a great grab game now). LFK is probably the most underrated custom move since nobody knows the secrets of footstool LFK repeat.

D

Deleted member 269706

His uair is the only change that I've noticed. It really just does less knockback in the end, but you can still get strings, uair to fair, dthrow to uair and all that good stuff. If nothing else, it's really just harder to get the kill with. Though I personally think that it makes Uair > Falcon Dive easier to execute

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
His uair is the only change that I've noticed. It really just does less knockback in the end, but you can still get strings, uair to fair, dthrow to uair and all that good stuff. If nothing else, it's really just harder to get the kill with. Though I personally think that it makes Uair > Falcon Dive easier to execute
I... actually hadn't thought of this. I'm not near my Wii U right now, can someone confirm if Uair > FD combos now?

D

Deleted member 269706

I... actually hadn't thought of this. I'm not near my Wii U right now, can someone confirm if Uair > FD combos now?
To my knowledge it doesn't true combo at any percentage, but due to less KB from Uair, the target generally remains closer to Falcon, so the Uair > FD can be pulled off at higher percents. I haven't bothered to test it compared to 1.0.7, so I could be completely wrong, but I've had it work at relatively high percentages, assuming the Uair hits at the proper spot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Falcon's fthrow and bthrow always did 7% and 9% and bair is exactly as before. Uair got a major nerf in damage and knockback.

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
Come on, Nintendo. Falcon wasn't even that good. With that bad of a recovery and the need for huge commitment in every move, Falcon didn't deserve any nerfs.

They leave ridiculous moves like Sheik's fair untouched and heavily nerf Falcon's main move.
Argh.

Physics

Smash Journeyman
NNID
anthonyarena
Falcon's fthrow and bthrow always did 7% and 9% and bair is exactly as before. Uair got a major nerf in damage and knockback.
Does less knockback on U air mean you can combo better with U air? Like comboing into the knee easier or something?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Nintendo is stupid, they nerfed Uair but Bair is still as stupid as ever.

The only downfall is that you get no more free kills at 150% I guess.

PS : yeah the percents of the Uair>knee combo have to be double checked.

UzakiuzuG

Smash Journeyman
Does less knockback on U air mean you can combo better with U air? Like comboing into the knee easier or something?
This is the statement that I would like to know. I only see a problem if the knockback was kept untouched. If they've both been scaled back and the" hitstun" is the same I'm not seeing a "MAJOR" issue as of yet. Kind of a lame regression. I hear fox has stayed the same lol.

Last edited:

Darthrai

Smash Cadet
Come on, Nintendo. Falcon wasn't even that good. With that bad of a recovery and the need for huge commitment in every move, Falcon didn't deserve any nerfs.

They leave ridiculous moves like Sheik's fair untouched and heavily nerf Falcon's main move.
Argh.
You should have seen how many scrubs were crying out "Falcon OP plz nerf". With all their protesting, I'm relieved that he didn't get the Greninja/Diddy treatment.

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
I need to confirm this for myself, but word is that the dash grab ledge slide-off is gone for real now. Take with a grain of salt unless you can test it and find out.

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
Combo ability is similar to PAL Melee Falcon now with the up air. Less kill power, but better juggle capability.

Barhos

Smash Rookie
I need to confirm this for myself, but word is that the dash grab ledge slide-off is gone for real now. Take with a grain of salt unless you can test it and find out.
I can confirm this, i've tried it and every time it happens it puts me in a position where i cant even pummel the opponent. They are shown in an awkward grab position (almost merged into falcon). It only lets me throw them in any of the directions unless they break out

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
I can confirm what @ Barhos Barhos said, no more slipping off the ledge for cheese footstools, now we're stuck with our opponent hugging us closer than ever.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
How big of a deal is this? This is not something I ever used, but I'm more of a PM guy, so I don't know how much this matters.

Last edited:

Mad3333

Smash Rookie
How big of a deal is this? This is not something I ever used, but I'm more of a PM guy, so I don't know how much this matters.
When you slid off the stage while holding your opponent, it could sometimes net an easy footstool or in some cases, a knee. It was a janky physics bug and was bound to be removed sooner or later.

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
When you slid off the stage while holding your opponent, it could sometimes net an easy footstool or in some cases, a knee. It was a janky physics bug and was bound to be removed sooner or later.
They "fixed" it with something that looks like a bug itself. You can't even pummel the opponent when it happens.

Husk94

Smash Rookie
it seems hitstun on uair has been nerfed as well. I was playing online so it may be that, but at low percents dthrow->uair->uair wasnt really working. They were able to airdodge the second uair. need someone to confirm tho

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
So is Uair no longer a viable kill move?

Seems to be the only one I can consistently sweet spot...

And in smash being the low man is often good... going sideways is more risky.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
You should have seen how many scrubs were crying out "Falcon OP plz nerf". With all their protesting, I'm relieved that he didn't get the Greninja/Diddy treatment.
By my very armature evaluation, on a casual level Falcon is one of the easier characters to good reasonably good with... but he doesn't have the ceiling of a competitive play Shiek, Diddy, Rosalina, etc.

I can see how some might see Falcon was OP... he had enough weaknesses to offset the speed KO power combo.

EDIT: sorry for double post... I am looking for a delete button so I could edit this into my 1st one but not finding it.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Acid said Captain got a Dthrow nerf. More knock back on it, less combo potential.

Can somebody confirm?

AcidtoneX58

Smash Rookie
NNID
AcidtoneX58
If they DI away from down throw past 15% there are virtually no follow ups, this is while being at 0% as falcon, with rage it's even harder, so if someone DI's away from down throw there's really no options to follow up on, dash grab down throw knee no longer seems like it's a thing either.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
If they DI away from down throw past 15% there are virtually no follow ups, this is while being at 0% as falcon, with rage it's even harder, so if someone DI's away from down throw there's really no options to follow up on, dash grab down throw knee no longer seems like it's a thing either.
So... in other words we lost a KO move and our main combo starter with this patch when we weren't an elite character to begin with?

Can we get this varified/shot down?

Last edited:
Top Bottom