• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon Moveset Discussion

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Decided to make a thread that can bring some interesting discussion unlike everyone else. :p So yeah. Discuss Falcon's moveset.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
was bout to make this dangit o well

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
Falcon has Raptor Boost, Falcon Kick, and Falcon Punch. He also retains his Final Smash and his forward tilt, it looks like. It's safe to say he'll have the same moveset he's had since Melee, albeit with slight changes.

Brawl's physics, not to mention Falcon's reduced power, speed, and harder-to-sweetspot knee really hindered him. If he's to become the epitome of manliness so many have depicted him as, he needs some serious changes from his Brawl incarnation.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Hope Falcon Punch has use in competitive play aside from once every 50 sets.

Raptor Boost looks slow but it's possible it may have reduced endlag if it hits.

That's really all there is aside from incomprehensible screen shots. They really pooped on Falcon in the trailer, he had a presence for about 10 seconds in actual gameplay while Charizard at least shared half the spotlight with Greninja.

KendallJackson

Smash Rookie

New neutral air? Falcon with a good approach?
Or maybe it's just Falcon kick.

Last edited:

Flux0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flux0r
They need to revamp Falcon Dive or change it completely... It is almost laughable how easy it is to exploit that recovery move, especially in Melee... :ohwell:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
When he is fighting Robin in the gameplay trailer after Robin's jab, he takes off in a vertical diagnol away from Robin. Could it be a raptor boost or kick variation?

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
When he is fighting Robin in the gameplay trailer after Robin's jab, he takes off in a vertical diagnol away from Robin. Could it be a raptor boost or kick variation?
That was him being attacked; Falcon didn't move on his own terms.

Laem

Smash Champion
I demand that the trailer is followed up on: ability to jumpcancel falcon punch boi!

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
All I can say is:
Ftilt's range looks SLIIIIGHTLY improved, and looks faster, too (but up-angled Ftilt was faster than normal ftilt in Brawl as well).

Raptor Boost apparently has the same startup, faster movement and longer cooldown. However, I still have hope that half of those lag frames are actually IASA frames. Let's all remember that Ivysaur combos UpThrow into UpSmash in Brawl's opening.

Other than that, I expect him to be slightly less laggy and have better hitboxes overall. Also, his bulkier build might suggest added power to a few moves (and maybe slower moves D: ), but that's only me saying.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Aw man. I was hoping they'd change his Fsmash back into its 64 incarnation.

Looking forward to see what (if any) changes he gets. Hopefully he's not like Brawl Falcon again.

Jakario

Smash Rookie
It is not beyond Sakurai to not change him much from Brawl Falcon since there was not overwhelming complaint (even if there was he wouldn't change it). I am sure he is going to be a little different but nothing major.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
I've never quite understood the appeal of the 64 FSmash. It's about as generic as you can get. FTilt is essentially the same move but slightly slicker. An elbow smash is unique.

64 USmash though, that move was damn good.

NewGuy79

Smash Journeyman
you know what im excited to see from the Captain Falcon, his custom moves
I can see it now... neutral b with a slow amore or a weak mid rang projectile Falcon punch :chuckle: oh the possibilities

Last edited:

Tristan_win

Not dead.
you know what im excited to see from the Captain Falcon, his custom moves
I can see it now... neutral b with a slow amore or a weak mid rang projectile Falcon punch :chuckle: oh the possibilities
Same here, Captain Falcon extra specials are the only one's I'm really looking forward to. I would be ecstatic if there was a huge version of the Falcon punch that covered like half the scene, broken as hell but amazing.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I don't get why people think he needs any changes at all. His moveset in Melee and Brawl was a pretty well rounded assortment of punches and kicks and whatever and it all felt... right, ya know?

I guess a "fake" Falcon Punch or a way to cancel it would be pretty neat, but I feel like it would take away the risk = reward factor that plays into that.

Falcon needs no changes to his moveset beside buffs to existing moves.
And a little thing called aerial momentum.

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Actually, I feel that it was Brawl's physics that really hurt Falcon. Outside of his lower traction (and weaker knee), Brawl Falcon could be moved into a melee-esque environment and done really well. It appears he retains a similar moveset to his previous reincarnations. It appears that his Falcon Punch has a longer hitbox, not unlike GW's, meaning it can hit with more safety. It could also be cancellable, but that could just be the trailer... Not so sure about the nipple spike that was removed in Brawl. I hope the bair backhand got a bit buffed too.

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
Falcon actually got more laggy moves (fsmash, dsmash, bair, uair, tilts), terrible hitboxes (nair, fair, dair, dtilt, grab) and a considerable knockback nerf (fsmash, bair) in Brawl. I agree that the Brawl physics are what hurt him more, but if there were Brawl physics without the nerfs, he'd be somewhere around mid/lower-mid tier.

Something I want to see is a killing back throw. Since Melee it's been his worst throw, but now with a few changes in the gameplay's approach (less aerial, more grounded. Marth and Kirby's upthrows are kill moves now, for example), Falcon could have a manly knockback added to Bthrow, but not as stupidly strong as his N64 variant of course.

GoldenMasterSword

Smash Cadet
NNID
GoldMasterSword
3DS FC
5241-2079-3500
I really like Captain Falcon in Melee. He moved so fast and he had reliable killing moves. Brawl took most of that along with a little bit of his speed. I'm hoping they bring it back.
If L-cancelling will be absent in Smash 4, they need to reduce the landing lag on all of the aerials; I'd say somewhere inbetween Melee's L-cancelled speed and Brawl's speed (which is basically the same as non L-cancelled Melee's lag, but whatever).
Sakurai did acknowledge that the Falcon Punch was next to useless in 1-on-1 matches (which is how most matches are fought competitively, doubles aside), and he probably set out to make it more useful in those situations. Maybe we'll see a Brawl- Ganondorf thing where ending lag can be cancelled, maybe the startup can be cancelled for a fake of sorts. He might not do those all at once (or at all), but I'm hoping those are available options for customization. Making the whole move faster altogether would work, too.

Last edited:

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
I doubt it's going to be a big factor, but does anyone expect the gun at his hip to be of any usefulness within his moveset?

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Falcon wears the gun to install fear into his foes. They see the gun and then he beats the living daylights out of them with his bare hands and they're left even more scared.

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if they'll change his jabs, or give him a finisher. He's always had the best jabs imo. Even in Brawl it could secure a grab. He already has a knee in his jab string, so I can't imagine what the finisher would be like

Portanix

Smash Cadet
I feel like with the improvement of the knee sweetspot, a buffed falcon punch and reduced ending lag of his smashes and falcon kick he will be the good old Falcon from Melee.
Since Smash 4 will be faster paced than Brawl, and the ****ing bull**** tripping is finally removed, I feel confident about Falcon.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
A lot of what made Falcon really good in Melee was its environment. Melee's movement options allowed his movement to be some of the most flexible in the game due to his incredible speed, his incredible punish game stemmed a lot from the ability to SHFFL aerials as well as Melee's higher hitstun. He had an incredible long jump due to the fact that Melee retains your ground momentum upon jumping, allowing him to traverse large parts of the stage both on the ground and in the air very quickly. These properties all helped to overshadow his generally poor priority, mediocre ground game and poor recovery.

Smash 4's engine looks to not offer the same level of flexibility. The increase in hitstun will be great for Falcon but he will definitely need more. Since Smash 4 looks to be a much more ground based game I feel a better ground game would benefit him significantly. Faster tilts, smashes and a better Falcon Kick would all be welcome. Maybe even a slightly faster Falcon Punch a little more akin to 64?

Don't feel Falcon needs a drastic reimagining since he's already the coolest character in Smash, just a few things to make him more effective and more satisfying.

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
A lot of what made Falcon really good in Melee was its environment. Melee's movement options allowed his movement to be some of the most flexible in the game due to his incredible speed, his incredible punish game stemmed a lot from the ability to SHFFL aerials as well as Melee's higher hitstun. He had an incredible long jump due to the fact that Melee retains your ground momentum upon jumping, allowing him to traverse large parts of the stage both on the ground and in the air very quickly. These properties all helped to overshadow his generally poor priority, mediocre ground game and poor recovery.

Smash 4's engine looks to not offer the same level of flexibility. The increase in hitstun will be great for Falcon but he will definitely need more. Since Smash 4 looks to be a much more ground based game I feel a better ground game would benefit him significantly. Faster tilts, smashes and a better Falcon Kick would all be welcome. Maybe even a slightly faster Falcon Punch a little more akin to 64?

Don't feel Falcon needs a drastic reimagining since he's already the coolest character in Smash, just a few things to make him more effective and more satisfying.
Cancel-able Falcon Punch!?
Also, in the best buy demo i played Donkey Kong. To my surprise and joy he played most like his Melee counterpart. With extreme buffs to his down-b, and a few other tweaks. I can see them buffing the Falcon punch and otherwise reverting him more towards Melee.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Like others have said, restore the knee back to it's former glory, as for his Up B I feel all they need to do is give it more vertical height horizontal control.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
"Show me your moves" needs to be incorporated in the title of this thread.

Gombukelp

Smash Apprentice
Every move should work like this...
I like many others was really hoping that Sakurai would change his Final Smash into something that was inspired by this but, alas, it looks like he still uses the Blue Falcon. Which I personally find of out of place btw. An F-Zero track just appearing on a random stage like that. Come on, man.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I like many others was really hoping that Sakurai would change his Final Smash into something that was inspired by this but, alas, it looks like he still uses the Blue Falcon. Which I personally find of out of place btw. An F-Zero track just appearing on a random stage like that. Come on, man.
Honestly, I'm glad he didn't change it as the default, however, I still feel that if it's the foes last stock, it should function like that anime clip.

I also think if a foe crashes into the screen and it's their final stock (and their the last character left other than the winner) that they should shatter the glass, break the glass, and then we should hit the results screen.

GenG

Smash Lord
Translation for the latest Famitsu scans, covering Robin, Lucina and Captain Falcon.

Captain Falcon, from the F-Zero series:
  • another winner of the Smash series perfect attendance award
  • very few changes to the character from the last iteration, so players used to playing with the Cap should have no problem picking him up this time around
  • Up Special - Falcon Dive: leaps up and grabs opponent, explodes to deal damage, functions as a grab and thus can strike shielding opponents
  • Neutral Special - Falcon Punch: charges up and unleashes a spectacular punch, very strong but leaves CF wide open, able to change direction and increase power(!) by tilting the stick in the opposite direction right after performing the move
  • Side Smash - Overheat Elbow: unleashes a strong long-range strike, considerably slow wind-up
  • Down Special - Falcon Kick: delivers a flaming kick, strikes diagonally downward when performed in the air
  • Side Special - Falcon Knuckle: dashes forward and uppercuts the opponent, lifts opponent upward when performed on the ground, sends opponents flying downward when performed in the air
  • Final Smash - Blue Falcon: summons his prized F-Zero racecar and slams into opponents directly in front of him
It seems the Captain won't sport new moves but minor tweaks to the existing ones. Let's hope his game is being adapted to the new engine to avoid a Brawl situation.

I look forward to several PotD that cover him in detail.

Source: NeoGaf

Last edited:
Top Bottom