• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon jab possibilities

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I decided to pick up Falcon a few days ago, and among the many issues I first had with him, his jab bothered me in many ways.

Mainly, an opponent can shieldgrab at any point during the rapid attack part, and it didn't seem as if you could jab cancel to another jab. I was upset at the fact that Falcon continues to do the shoulder tackle anyway, and then magically gets some random jab after the shoulder tackle if you attempt to jab cancel the second jab into another jab combo, which then goes immediately into a rapid attack, which is very bad.

It looked as if the jab combo was destined to go no further than jab -> grab/Up-B, but I noticed something yesterday. You can cancel the "magical fourth jab" into the beginning of another jab, much like any other jab cancel. Also, the fourth jab is identical to the first jab (or is it the second? I forget), so it cancels rather quickly.

I mean, jabbing twice, doing a small pause, then jabbing twice again. I'm almost positive that if you wait long enough to literally reset the jab combo only after the third jab, any opponent has at least a few frames where they can evade or retaliate.

In fact, I hold down the button for the second and fourth jab, so I'm actually only pressing A twice throughout a single repetition of it.

It's something like:

One-two---three-four---one-two---three-four---..., with there being almost no gap between the first and second, as well as the third and fourth jabs. Also, if you decide to throw a grab in the middle of it, make sure it's not on the shoulder tackle portion. It sounds like common sense, but you'd be surprised how many times I've found myself doing it out of reflex.

Anyway, what I'm getting into here is, I wonder if you can juggle certain characters this way. None of the hits really send an opponent anywhere, so the idea is, unless the opponent has a quick, high-priority move that happens to be in the way immediately (think Luigi N-Air, or Wolf's reflector, etc.), you can do at least a couple repetitions of this.

I've tried it mid-match against my older brother's Dedede (he's rather good with Dedede; he's used him since the game came out) and Lucario (granted, he picked Lucario up about the same time as I picked up Falcon, but, eh) with positive results. Obviously, this is percentage-dependent, as at really low percentages the opponent can DI down and then shield in-between the pauses.

At worst, I can see this being a good mix-up within the standard jab-to-grab stuff. Try throwing it into your game and give me feedback on how reliable you feel it is.

tl;dr?

If you wait a fraction of a second after your second Neutral-A attack, then continue the jab combo, you'll do the normal third hit of the Neutral-A, as well as a fourth jab that is identical to the first Neutral-A attack.

If you continue the jab after the fourth hit, you'll start doing the rapid A punches, but you can jab cancel out of that into the start of another jab combo, or a grab attempt. It's no "inescapable combo", but it's potentially a decent mix-up that could chain together bits of damage rather nicely if they don't react well enough.

The main idea is, at various percents for different characters, you can choose to do those four attacks into a grab/Up-B (like a standard jab -> grab attempt), or to start another jab combo to do whatever you please. Technically, you could try throwing something else in, both those seem like the only realistic options.

RubixCubix08

Smash Rookie
Do you mean jab 3 times, not getting to the rapid jabbing, but pushing it like, half speed? Because I tried it in practice and if I pressed the jab 3 times slower than usual (although still fast enough to keep the enemy trapped), it went back to the beginning of the jab combo instead of going into that rapid jabbing crap.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Do you mean jab 3 times, not getting to the rapid jabbing, but pushing it like, half speed? Because I tried it in practice and if I pressed the jab 3 times slower than usual (although still fast enough to keep the enemy trapped), it went back to the beginning of the jab combo instead of going into that rapid jabbing crap.
I mean, jabbing twice, doing a small pause, then jabbing twice again. I'm almost positive that if you wait long enough to literally reset the jab combo only after the third jab, any opponent has at least a few frames where they can evade or retaliate.

In fact, I hold down the button for the second and fourth jab, so I'm actually only pressing A twice throughout a single repetition of it.

It's something like:

One-two---three-four---one-two---three-four---..., with there being almost no gap between the first and second, as well as the third and fourth jabs. Also, if you decide to throw a grab in the middle of it, make sure it's not on the shoulder tackle portion. It sounds like common sense, but you'd be surprised how many times I've found myself doing it out of reflex.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
here goes reflex breaking bad characters again.

Next thing you know this man is going to create a guarenteed double dutch 360 g-reg of death setup (a.k.a. reverse falcon punch)

I MEAN, THIS IS THE SAME GUY WHO CREATED SPIN CANCELLING FOR BOP IT EXTREME

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I decided to pick up Falcon a few days ago, and among the many issues I first had with him, his jab bothered me in many ways.

Mainly, an opponent can shieldgrab at any point during the rapid attack part, and it didn't seem as if you could jab cancel to another jab. I was upset at the fact that Falcon continues to do the shoulder tackle anyway, and then magically gets some random jab after the shoulder tackle if you attempt to jab cancel the second jab into another jab combo, which then goes immediately into a rapid attack, which is very bad.

It looked as if the jab combo was destined to go no further than jab -> grab/Up-B, but I noticed something yesterday. You can cancel the "magical fourth jab" into the beginning of another jab, much like any other jab cancel. Also, the fourth jab is identical to the first jab (or is it the second? I forget), so it cancels rather quickly.

Anyway, what I'm getting into here is, I wonder if you can juggle certain characters this way. None of the hits really send an opponent anywhere, so the idea is, unless the opponent has a quick, high-priority move that happens to be in the way immediately (think Luigi N-Air, or Wolf's reflector, etc.), you can do at least a couple repetitions of this.

I've tried it mid-match against my older brother's Dedede (he's rather good with Dedede; he's used him since the game came out) and Lucario (granted, he picked Lucario up about the same time as I picked up Falcon, but, eh) with positive results. Obviously, this is percentage-dependent, as at really low percentages the opponent can DI down and then shield in-between the pauses.

At worst, I can see this being a good mix-up within the standard jab-to-grab stuff. Try throwing it into your game and give me feedback on how reliable you feel it is.
Nascent fan of the Captain, here.

Umm. . . this is pretty hard to follow.

If we define the terms "phases 1 through 4" of CF's jab as "the first punch," "the second punch," "the shoulder/knee tackle," and "the rapid punches," (where the magical jab you can get right after the shoulder tackle, even if it is followed immediately by phase 4, counts as phase 1),

then you're saying: (1) you don't like that

(I) Phase four of CF's jab can be shieldgrabbed
(II) You can't "jab cancel" from phase 4 into phase 1, since
(III) An attack input within jab cancel time after phase 2 always leads to phase 3, a repeat of phase 1, then entry into phase 4.

(2) That it seemed that
(I) the greatest string of "jab" attacks that can prefix a combo, has length 1; specifically, the phase 1 jab, as in "jab -> grab/B-up".

(3) But it now appears that, contrary to (2),
(I) the mysterious instances of phase 1 jabbing that can occur out of order can be "jab cancelled" into another jab.

and (4) you're asking

(I) if you can juggle characters using a method pursuant to the revelation of (3), such that
(II) you can have a larger string of jabs prefix a combo, than one of length 1; and moreover,
(III) what is the upper limit, depending on character, on the size of the maximal such prefix of jabs?

If I've got you right, TheReflexWonder, then I have to say I don't see how this is possible. People can interrupt the transition from phase 3 jab to the mysterious phase 1 jab - any character can, whether by DI, air dodging to shield, or an nair. I've seen it happen.

YesISpeakChinese

Smash Apprentice
check some of champ's vids to get some visual
i've seen champ do some continuous locks with jabs in his vids where he goes

1->2->3->pause slightly and repeat until the guy he's fighting gets out of range and he finishes with a d-tilt or something
i think its feasible since no one would probably expect it, whether there is a retaliation window or not

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Nascent fan of the Captain, here.

Umm. . . this is pretty hard to follow.

If we define the terms "phases 1 through 4" of CF's jab as "the first punch," "the second punch," "the shoulder/knee tackle," and "the rapid punches," (where the magical jab you can get right after the shoulder tackle, even if it is followed immediately by phase 4, counts as phase 1),

then you're saying: (1) you don't like that

(I) Phase four of CF's jab can be shieldgrabbed
(II) You can't "jab cancel" from phase 4 into phase 1, since
(III) An attack input within jab cancel time after phase 2 always leads to phase 3, a repeat of phase 1, then entry into phase 4.

(2) That it seemed that
(I) the greatest string of "jab" attacks that can prefix a combo, has length 1; specifically, the phase 1 jab, as in "jab -> grab/B-up".

(3) But it now appears that, contrary to (2),
(I) the mysterious instances of phase 1 jabbing that can occur out of order can be "jab cancelled" into another jab.

and (4) you're asking

(I) if you can juggle characters using a method pursuant to the revelation of (3), such that
(II) you can have a larger string of jabs prefix a combo, than one of length 1; and moreover,
(III) what is the upper limit, depending on character, on the size of the maximal such prefix of jabs?

If I've got you right, TheReflexWonder, then I have to say I don't see how this is possible. People can interrupt the transition from phase 3 jab to the mysterious phase 1 jab - any character can, whether by DI, air dodging to shield, or an nair. I've seen it happen.
I believe that all of that is correct...and perhaps I should clean up my original post, as it is hard to follow (it seems as if I just simply ranting).

However, while I suppose I -did- say "combo", I know that it can be quickly escaped. The idea is that a person might be caught off-guard with it. If you mix it up, then that's one more thing that the opponent may or may not have to worry about.

Or maybe it -is- easily stopped/punished by everyone, and they'll all catch on...but we'll see, I suppose.

Lareit

Smash Ace
I believe that all of that is correct...and perhaps I should clean up my original post, as it is hard to follow (it seems as if I just simply ranting).

However, while I suppose I -did- say "combo", I know that it can be quickly escaped. The idea is that a person might be caught off-guard with it. If you mix it up, then that's one more thing that the opponent may or may not have to worry about.

Or maybe it -is- easily stopped/punished by everyone, and they'll all catch on...but we'll see, I suppose.
It works on chr's lacking a exceptionally fast aerial.

Metaknights Nair, falcons nair, sonic's nair are 3 examples

Lots of nair's break it.

But few people will think to use it to break it up so it'll work in moderation against even familiar opponents, and very often against inexperianced fighters.

YesISpeakChinese

Smash Apprentice
wait... i'm confused o_O
do you mean jumping between phases of the jab?
that seems pretty cool if thats what your talking about xD

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
wait... i'm confused o_O
do you mean jumping between phases of the jab?
that seems pretty cool if thats what your talking about xD
It's something like attempting to jab cancel twice. I added an easier-to-understand section to the first post.

Top Bottom