• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon Combos?

Creede

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Creede73
This is probably not going to stay unlocked for too long, as a mod might say, "This doesn't warrant its own thread".

Last edited:

Creede

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Creede73
Yes, seriously. There really isn't much potential for a thread like this because it is pretty much just a sub-discussion in a metagame discussion thread. However, I'm not a mod, so maybe this thread will stay unlocked.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
At least the thread is relevant to the metagame. I don't have time to post all the different frame traps and combos that I know, but I'll go ahead and mention a few key aspects to Falcon's combo game...

> Once the opponent is beyond 50%, most moves have enough hitstun to allow reliable follow-ups.

> Short Hop Fastfall L Cancel (SHFFL) First Hit Nair leads into a lot of options; such as Up+B, Fsmash, Grab, Jab and Tilts.

> Down Throw is one of the best combo starters beyond 50%. It allows Falcon enough time to buffer a dash forward and gain a reliable true combo Uair or Nair. Uair can lead into a double jump Knee if hit with the center of Falcon's Uair (which causes more vertical knockback than diagonal or horizontal, allowing for easy followups).

Smash Ace
k i do down throw to up air(s) and try for a knee most of the time at aroung 50% already...

opplemobl

Smash Rookie
At least the thread is relevant to the metagame. I don't have time to post all the different frame traps and combos that I know, but I'll go ahead and mention a few key aspects to Falcon's combo game...

> Once the opponent is beyond 50%, most moves have enough hitstun to allow reliable follow-ups.

> Short Hop Fastfall L Cancel (SHFFL) First Hit Nair leads into a lot of options; such as Up+B, Fsmash, Grab, Jab and Tilts.

> Down Throw is one of the best combo starters beyond 50%. It allows Falcon enough time to buffer a dash forward and gain a reliable true combo Uair or Nair. Uair can lead into a double jump Knee if hit with the center of Falcon's Uair (which causes more vertical knockback than diagonal or horizontal, allowing for easy followups).
This is SSB4, not Melee.

Falco_Phantasm

Smash Rookie
NNID
DexNexRex
3DS FC
1006-0212-8425
I usually use:
-F-Throw->Side-B->N-Air (startup)
-D-Throw->N-Air->N-Air
-D-Throw->U-Air->U-Air->Falcon Dive
-D-Throw->Knee (30%-70%)
-D-Air->Knee
-Up-Throw->B-Air

That's all I can think of at the moment

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
This is SSB4, not Melee.
The things I listed apply to Smash 4. lol

k i do down throw to up air(s) and try for a knee most of the time at aroung 50% already...
Are you buffering a dash forward before the first Uair or are you just jumping up and hitting with the tip of Falcon's foot? You should be able to microdash forward after the Dthrow and then Uair, which will help you hit more toward the center of the Uair. It's possible to Dthrow > Knee directly without the Uair too, but certain characters (like Diddy) require the Uair in order for it to connect.

Directional Influence also determines whether or not it'll hit. If the opponent DIs away from you, it's unlikely that the knee will connect. Hitting with the center of the Uair before doing a double jump knee will make it easier though. Even with proper DI, they should be within the sweetspot range because of the Uair's vertical launch.

Last edited:

Creede

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Creede73
The term SHFFL applies to both manual and auto lag cancels. It's a universal abbreviation. But yes, it would be autocanceling in Smash 4 if the distinction really needs to be mentioned.
Ah ok. I didn't know. Thank you.

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat
I usually use:
-F-Throw->Side-B->N-Air (startup)
[...]
Never tried throws to side b, but im glad i read your comment because i started trying out some combos with fthrow instead of downthrow. I gotta play around this more to see which characters it works on, and vs real humans to see how it holds up to DI and if its truly a true combo, but its a flashy 0 to death, and even if you fail the whole combo, it can spike off stage, or you can sneak in a knee if there is no real opportunity for a dair!

the full combo, not sure if its able to break out of the combo between the uair and dair.

you can even mix it up with knees, and its still pretty deadly!

Creede

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Creede73
Never tried throws to side b, but im glad i read your comment because i started trying out some combos with fthrow instead of downthrow. I gotta play around this more to see which characters it works on, and vs real humans to see how it holds up to DI and if its truly a true combo, but its a flashy 0 to death, and even if you fail the whole combo, it can spike off stage, or you can sneak in a knee if there is no real opportunity for a dair!

the full combo, not sure if its able to break out of the combo between the uair and dair.

Those aren't true combos, so I'm pretty sure skilled players will be able to break out of it. It might be able to catch someone off guard though.

Smash Ace

I do that and i try, but skillied players that i face DI or tech or airdodge. Some people i can land the f-throw, dash attack, up air, to knee.

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat
I do that and i try, but skillied players that i face DI or tech or airdodge. Some people i can land the f-throw, dash attack, up air, to knee.
glad to see that i helped to some extent at least! its still a 50 % combo that racks percentage fast, and at least I play with most comfort against any opponent around 50 %, thats the sweetspot for many knee combos, try around and get a feel for what your attacks do at what percentages. I tend to use my falcon as a rap, improvize around it, its great fun!

Smash Ace
glad to see that i helped to some extent at least! its still a 50 % combo that racks percentage fast, and at least I play with most comfort against any opponent around 50 %, thats the sweetspot for many knee combos, try around and get a feel for what your attacks do at what percentages. I tend to use my falcon as a rap, improvize around it, its great fun!
i do that too and i find AWESOME combos!

Smash Ace
Sometimes i can do a d-throw, u-air, u-air, to up special which sometimes kills.

Captain Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nacholovr
3DS FC
1848-1848-8415
Not sure if this is guaranteed, but on Bowser (when near the edge) DashAttack->UpAir->UpAir->UpTilt->BAir kills at zero. For the BAir,You have to walk off the stage and use it as they are recovering, similar to a stage spike. I don't have any human players to test this with, as I've only achieved it in training mode, so if anyone can test that would be great. I'll post a video as soon as I can. The only part that needs to be tested to ensure a combo are those first four moves (DashAttack->UpAir->UpAir->UpTilt) as clearly a walk-off back air is not guaranteed. That is truly more of a read.
EDIT:I should add that walking off the stage is vital; it allows you to use your second jump and up special to recover.
One more EDIT:If timed correctly, you may even be able to footstool off the Bowser after the back air, further destroying his recovery. The footstool is pure disrespect.

Last edited:

Captain Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nacholovr
3DS FC
1848-1848-8415
Sorry for the double post, but I have found another few great Captain Falcon combos on Bowser. They all start the same: DashAttack->FAir, but that's where the fun starts. From here, the options are pretty open; my favorite is immediately using UpSpecial. from the position you are left in, reads become pretty important. For example, if your opponent jumps immediately you can use UpSpecial again, which leads into FAir/DAir as you fall. From the initial combo (DashAttack->FAir) you can also use a rising UpAir twice in a row followed by UpSpecial. If spaced well, UpSpecial should be enough to recover from this position. Once again, you can end with a knee as they fall. The top combo is pretty situational; however, if the second UpSpecial lands I have been able to use three more for a total of five. It's basic disrespect. (Quick tip: if your opponent starts predicting and airdodging the FAir, just short hop and throw out a falcon punch)

Last edited:

Johnniewalkker

Smash Rookie
Dthrow, uair, wait for airdodge knee/dair.

Almost 70% of the players will fall for this around 40%, its just habit to airdodge assuming another uair is coming cause thats what most players are doing.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama

Almost 70% of the players will fall for this around 40%, its just habit to airdodge assuming another uair is coming cause thats what most players are doing.
Similar to this, I often recommend people to use Dthrow and bait a double jump from the opponent by empty jumping. This forces the opponent to recover in only few different ways. Falcon can short hop and fastfall with Uair when the opponent is about to land. They can try to trade hits with the Uair, which rarely works because Falcon's Uair is insanely good when it comes to trading hits; or they can air dodge, which will cause the Uair to miss, but Falcon will cancel on the ground faster than the opponent will after the airdodge,allowing Falcon to punish the air dodge with a grab or another move depending on the opponent's falling speed. Sometimes it's possible to even tilt or Fsmash the opponent. Once you learn the timing for characters and the situations to use it in, you can get some really hard punishes and quick kills.

Smash Ace
One of the combos i tried was: f-throw, dash attack, to up tilt spike, then jump off the stage and dair. It sometimes works and its pretty cool.

Smash Ace
Not sure if this is guaranteed, but on Bowser (when near the edge) DashAttack->UpAir->UpAir->UpTilt->BAir kills at zero. For the BAir,You have to walk off the stage and use it as they are recovering, similar to a stage spike. I don't have any human players to test this with, as I've only achieved it in training mode, so if anyone can test that would be great. I'll post a video as soon as I can. The only part that needs to be tested to ensure a combo are those first four moves (DashAttack->UpAir->UpAir->UpTilt) as clearly a walk-off back air is not guaranteed. That is truly more of a read.
EDIT:I should add that walking off the stage is vital; it allows you to use your second jump and up special to recover.
One more EDIT:If timed correctly, you may even be able to footstool off the Bowser after the back air, further destroying his recovery. The footstool is pure disrespect.
Uhh, I'm not sure that works... (Lol) It seems to complicated...

Captain Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nacholovr
3DS FC
1848-1848-8415
Uhh, I'm not sure that works... (Lol) It seems to complicated...
It isn't too complicated, I think I just overdid it with the typing. DashAttack->UpAir->UpAir->UpTilt is the only part you need to worry about. To simplify the post, that combo sets up a stage spike on heavier characters that initially had low damage.

Smash Ace
It isn't too complicated, I think I just overdid it with the typing. DashAttack->UpAir->UpAir->UpTilt is the only part you need to worry about. To simplify the post, that combo sets up a stage spike on heavier characters that initially had low damage.
OMG i actually tried the combo and it works!!! (I tested it on Bowser first, then other characters. For other characters, really, the up-tilt spike is what kills.) Edit: You can do Dash Attack, - Up Air, - Up Air, Up Tilt Spike, then walk off and do a D-air.

Last edited:

Smash Ace
Similar to this, I often recommend people to use Dthrow and bait a double jump from the opponent by empty jumping. This forces the opponent to recover in only few different ways. Falcon can short hop and fastfall with Uair when the opponent is about to land. They can try to trade hits with the Uair, which rarely works because Falcon's Uair is insanely good when it comes to trading hits; or they can air dodge, which will cause the Uair to miss, but Falcon will cancel on the ground faster than the opponent will after the airdodge,allowing Falcon to punish the air dodge with a grab or another move depending on the opponent's falling speed. Sometimes it's possible to even tilt or Fsmash the opponent. Once you learn the timing for characters and the situations to use it in, you can get some really hard punishes and quick kills.
i dont really understand... lol

Smash Ace

The people i play dont really airdodge though...

Johnniewalkker

Smash Rookie
The people i play dont really airdodge though...
Hmmmm, well u could start of ur game with abusing the dthrow to uair uair combo. So you will train their mind into believing u will always go for the second uair, which will cause them to dodge. But lets say ur 100% they wont dodge, u can go for the first uair, then quickly fall underneath them, then raptor boost towards them, but make sure the timing is before they can safely land on the ground. They will either be in a attacking animation cause u faked them out and landed on the floor, or an airdodge into the floor which will cause lag :D

Smash Ace
Hmmmm, well u could start of ur game with abusing the dthrow to uair uair combo. So you will train their mind into believing u will always go for the second uair, which will cause them to dodge. But lets say ur 100% they wont dodge, u can go for the first uair, then quickly fall underneath them, then raptor boost towards them, but make sure the timing is before they can safely land on the ground. They will either be in a attacking animation cause u faked them out and landed on the floor, or an airdodge into the floor which will cause lag :D
Ok then. :)

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
i dont really understand... lol
The key points about what I posted is knowing that your opponent only has three (maybe four) options while in midair if they're above you and have already used their double jump.

#1: They can get hit without doing anything. Unlikely.
#2: They can try to hit you with a Dair or something, but Uair will either win or trade hits.
#3: They can air dodge into the ground. They'll avoid the Uair, but Falcon can fastfall with the Uair to land first. Falcon's Uair will cancel on the ground before the cooldown the opponent receives from air dodging and hitting the ground; which allows you to punish that ending lag with a grab or whatever you prefer.

Extra #4: Some characters can try to use a special to avoid being under Falcon in general (such as Wario's side+B), but because of Falcon's speed, he can easily move back under an opponent to punish accordingly.

Hopefully that is simple enough to understand...

Smash Ace
The key points about what I posted is knowing that your opponent only has three (maybe four) options while in midair if they're above you and have already used their double jump.

#1: They can get hit without doing anything. Unlikely.
#2: They can try to hit you with a Dair or something, but Uair will either win or trade hits.
#3: They can air dodge into the ground. They'll avoid the Uair, but Falcon can fastfall with the Uair to land first. Falcon's Uair will cancel on the ground before the cooldown the opponent receives from air dodging and hitting the ground; which allows you to punish that ending lag with a grab or whatever you prefer.

Extra #4: Some characters can try to use a special to avoid being under Falcon in general (such as Wario's side+B), but because of Falcon's speed, he can easily move back under an opponent to punish accordingly.

Hopefully that is simple enough to understand...
Its usually #1...

Top Bottom