• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't Tell If Kirby Feels Awesome OR If Smash 4 Universally Does.

Twilord

Smash Ace
I am just after playing about four hours of Smash 4. I was the sole Kirby online but I put in a solid fight against everyone and not long after getting going Kirby started to adjust too my handling. - I pulled off some decent combos for someone who rather suck and won a nice number of matches with minimal intentional murder-suicides. (I'd call them Kirbicides but... does a messy Final Cutter edge-gaurd really count as one?)

There was one very deliberate Kirbycide round: For Glory + Constant Taunts = Rushed Match x Community Service

How is everyone else Kirbying?

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
His f-air was never anything to write home about but... it feels like the priority is somehow worse...

the d-throw change is very sad... I miss u-tilt follow ups

his range seems slightly worse on his feet moves...

otherwise he's cool.

Hotdog

Smash Lord
Kirby is pretty eh, I'd say he's no better or the same as Brawl Kirby. Don't have high hopes for him.

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
u-tilt u-tilt jump NAir inhale jump down the stage exhale jump back on stage,

thats a stock baby

i mean.. i think that would work

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Wave Cutter (Final Cutter V2) is wicked strong, even if it does take a while to come out (no hitbox on the slash, oddly) and I love Inhale V3 as it can easily hop a foe off stage, cover ground faster than Kirby otherwise could or even act as horizontal recovery (one use per air time unless hit, mind). It's great in so many ways but doesn't draw opponents in or keep them in long enough for a true swallowcide (pretty sure it's an auto-escape after the move ends).

I definitely feel these two custom moves have potential.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
imo, kirby feels like a mix of kirby from every preceding smash game (except PM i guess)

I play a lot of 64 and Brawl, and I find some of the same stuff transfers over - dair utilt aerial combos in 64 are a pretty huge part of his meta, and kirby's still got those here. Bair spacing and reading your opponent's movement out of your throws, like brawl, still feels like it's going to be really important in this game. Unfortunately his movement on the ground and in the air feels about as sluggish as melee kirby, and unlike in 64 where he could kill with nair, bair, fsmash, utilt, dsmash, usmash (lol usmash), and edgeguard with dair and dtilt, it seems like in this game kirby's only viable kill moves (THUS FAR) will be smashes (which seem extremely punishable if missed, so need to get reads like in brawl) and bair (which seems slower and less spammable). I've been having good results so far landing kills by edgeguarding with dsmash on the ledge though, but i'm not sure if this is really a thing or just me being lucky

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
Despite Kirby not being able to combo from any of his grabs I feel like in this version of smash he does very well. You shouldn't be focusing on killing anyone with smash attacks unless they mess up and it's an easy punish. It is much easier to try to get someone off stage, or even have them approach you off stage, and gimp them with nair, dair, or bair. Not being afraid to go off stage since you have 5 jumps and free airdodges is extremely core to his game.

Since I've played Kirby through all iterations of smash, he really does feel just so much better and fits what my perceived playstyle of him should be like.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
You can combo his F-throw into his F-air, at least I manage to.

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
It's probably me, but I'm having trouble getting him to work. All my brawl combos are broke now so they don't work so he's basically a new character for me

MrDrJacob

Smash Rookie
NNID
MisterJacob
Kirby certainly is not bad, but I'd say he's probably middle of the road. His combo game is solid, but his reach is mediocre. His main issue is approaching characters with longer hitboxes. I've had a lot of trouble getting in for a hit without platforms.
One thing worth looking into is seeing what moves Kirby and duck under and avoid.

Top Bottom