• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cant short hop with fox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tundravalco

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone give me some help on short hopping with fox i can short hop with everyone else except him. if im sitting in training mode only short hopping its easy but while im actually smashing it almost always comes out a full jump especially when i dair. If i flick the bottom of the x button and slide it off really quick i can do it every time but i cant do that and get to the cstick in time. does anyone have any advice on this because its really annoying having my drillshine blocked because im coming from 20 feet in the air.

Had to extend post for thread option reasons.

marthsword

Smash Ace
I suggest letting your finger slide against the X or Y button. This is called "the button sliding method."

Pose

Smash Apprentice
I suggest letting your finger slide against the X or Y button. This is called "the button sliding method."
How would you incorporate this into your play? Sliding your finger and then moving in down onto the c-stick in a very fast manner?

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone give me some help on short hopping with fox i can short hop with everyone else except him. if im sitting in training mode only short hopping its easy but while im actually smashing it almost always comes out a full jump especially when i dair. If i flick the bottom of the x button and slide it off really quick i can do it every time but i cant do that and get to the cstick in time. does anyone have any advice on this because its really annoying having my drillshine blocked because im coming from 20 feet in the air.

this wouldn't be a bad idea to actually practice it harder. also i slide my thumb from x i naturally wd etc this way.

fox is the easiest to sh with imo. i suggest either practice it harder or try to improve your hand speed.

Declan

Smash Apprentice
Why are you using the c-stick. That's your problem. You shouldn't be using the c-stick in smash competition at all. I had a problem of relying on it too but playing in first player mode where the c-stick is disabled got me out of that habit. Going from the side of the x-button to the a-button shouldn't be much of a challenge.

Scud

Smash Apprentice
It's always easier to just SH rather than doing it while you are in a combo because you aren't concentrating on SH as much. You can try any of the tips people give you but i suggest doing the way you think is easiest. If you can SH while just practicing SH then just keep practicing...you will eventually get it.

Lesheik

Smash Lord
Gently tap the Y or X button fast. If you press the Y or X button with a lot of force in it, your finger will rest on the Y or X button and then your do a full jump.

(Tip: If you gently tap the Y or X button, your finger will release itself off the button faster)

Tundravalco

Smash Journeyman
i only stick my dairs because i like to hold forward while i dair i think its more effective. oh and thanks for the advice everyone i got it working pretty well. and the sliding method slows me down horribly i just praticed shffling for a straight day haha.

Sensai

Smash Master
Declan said:
Why are you using the c-stick. That's your problem. You shouldn't be using the c-stick in smash competition at all. I had a problem of relying on it too but playing in first player mode where the c-stick is disabled got me out of that habit. Going from the side of the x-button to the a-button shouldn't be much of a challenge.
Don't believe this, no offense meant Declan. Using the C-stick is not only not bad, I find it really helpful.

To start out...welcome to the boards.

Secondly: I used to main Fox. The reason I quit? I couldn't shorthop 100% of the time...but I did figure out a way to usually get it. Practice barely BARELY tapping it...like when you hit it (hell, even BEFORE you hit it) start bringing your finger up. Remember, all a shorthop is is releasing the jump button before you actually leave the ground. For Fox, you have 4 frames. That's a fifteenth of a second.

You could always use the analog stick. I can alway shorthop with that, as I just throw the stick up as quickly and hard as I can, then it comes down in less then 4 frames. Sure, it'll eff up your controller, but you play Fox. Waveshining and all that jazz'll do that for you sooner or later. :-D

Good luck.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
C-stick will always be better then A. It comes out 2 frames faster..you can charge..only thing you need a for is tilts and nairs.

Dfoo

Smash Rookie
C-stick will always be better then A. It comes out 2 frames faster..you can charge..only thing you need a for is tilts and nairs.
Why would a c-stick x-air or smash come out 2 frames faster?

Tundravalco

Smash Journeyman
Well i tried pressing it gently and that doesnt work haha. when im smashing im violent with my controller. i got the sliding method pretty down pat now and it sped up my game quite a bit.

well while my thread is on the top can anyone tell me how to practice getting my game faster. sometimes i dont have people to smash with so i was wondering if theres anything i can do in training mode to perfect/tweak my game while nobody is around? ty

edit: and can somebody direct me to a thread that explains a perfect wavedash. ive got the wavedash down and the waveshine down but i can only waveshine link and peach.

I think he now knows that he just needs to let go of the button or stick faster. not press it gently, that has nothing to do with it. I guess that means that when I press "A" harder I do more damage.
Tundravalco - Just practice waveshining a lot and you'll get better at perfect wavedashing eventually. In most cases you have to waveshine "really fast" and maybe walk a little before your next shine to keep them in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom