• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't Let you cut me Sakurai, Wolf for DLC

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
I was watching a video about cut Brawl characters, and it mentioned that Wolf was a last minute addition that was originally going to be a straight up clone of Fox (which I didn't know). Apparently they were able to develop his character at the last minute by copying the animation of other characters for some of his moves. (For example his Up Smash was a copy of Sonic's up air).

It makes sense to me when I think about it, his movements did seem slightly off when I first got the game. Do you guys think the devs will make any major adjustments to Wolf's moveset if they decide to put him in Smash 4?

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
Final Smash issues exist in this game too. Dedede's doesn't even function right!
Fun fact: It worked just fine in previous versions, but for some reason they decided to make it so that you can airdodge out of it.

Last edited:

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
I was watching a video about cut Brawl characters, and it mentioned that Wolf was a last minute addition that was originally going to be a straight up clone of Fox (which I didn't know). Apparently they were able to develop his character at the last minute by copying the animation of other characters for some of his moves. (For example his Up Smash was a copy of Sonic's up air).

It makes sense to me when I think about it, his movements did seem slightly off when I first got the game. Do you guys think the devs will make any major adjustments to Wolf's moveset if they decide to put him in Smash 4?
I do think they'll clean up wolf's janky animations. However, giving him new attacks like roy? Maybe, but i don't see anything major happening. Although i've been watching some project m videos, and apparently wolf has a different up smash. He does an arcing slash attack that's similar to ike's up smash. I wouldn't mind a change like that. I do wish his fair does horizontal knockback instead of vertical.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I hope bair isn't changed since Falco went and copied Wolf's although his has a late hitbox while Wolf's didn't. I don't get the whole 'janky movement' thing. What's so janky or odd about Wolf's animations?

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
I hope bair isn't changed since Falco went and copied Wolf's although his has a late hitbox while Wolf's didn't. I don't get the whole 'janky movement' thing. What's so janky or odd about Wolf's animations?
Dunno, some of his moves just looked a little jerky or random (just a little). Like him spinning in a ball like Sonic-style for his nair (I think it's nair, I don't remember), just seemed so random to me at the time.

Also a side note, as a Falco main I didn't notice the comparison between Wolf's and Falco's new bair until commentators pointed it out. I honestly though it was more similar to Fox's, which is a single strong hit.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Dunno, some of his moves just looked a little jerky or random (just a little). Like him spinning in a ball like Sonic-style for his nair (I think it's nair, I don't remember), just seemed so random to me at the time.

Also a side note, as a Falco main I didn't notice the comparison between Wolf's and Falco's new bair until commentators pointed it out. I honestly though it was more similar to Fox's, which is a single strong hit.
Eh, his nair being ball-like made it different from the other Starfox characters. It's an odd move, sure, but the next best thing I could think of is him spinning around swiping his claws but that'd be similar to Falco's. As for the bair, I immediately noticed the similarities. In Melee and Brawl, Falco sticks his leg out for a while and his other leg just kinda sits below his body. Wolf's bair and Sm4sh Falco's bair has them kick out while their body is more compact. It's not the exact same since, as I said, Falco's bair still has a late hit while Wolf's doesn't but the change in animation was easily noticeable for me. Fox's is similar to Wolf's in that it's a single hit but Fox's has more startup and less range iirc.

Furret24

Smash Master
Every character was janky and odd in Brawl, except :gw:, who was just janky.

Wolfiv

Smash Journeyman
~SUPER SMASH BROTHERS FOR WII U AND NINTENDO 3DS CHARACTER APPLICATION QUEUE~

:4mario:— Welcome friends! Today is the grand day! Wahooo-!
:4luigi:— M...Ma-Maaario... Will I be an unlockable character again?
:4mario:— Bro! Not this time! O'-Look how many characters are here! We have to select the best ones! Alright, who's first?
:4link:— Eeaaah!
:4mario:— That's-a-pretty good, Link! Welcome back. Who's next?
:4kirby:— Kyaaaa~! HI!
:4mario:— Mamma mia Kirby! You're so cute for this new game. You're in! Next!
:4myfriends:— I fight for my friends.
:4mario:— Ike! Come come, pass over here, I'm pretty s'h'ure you're going to fight. Next one!
:4pikachu:— Pika Pika!
:4mario:— You're a must-e. Come in!
:4yoshi:— YOSHIII~
:4mario:— Aw Yoshi, my adorable companion. Come with us to the Super Smash Bros. Four!
:4peach:— Mario! I baked a cake for you.
:4mario:— Princess Peach! It's dangerous to go alone! Prepare your turnips and frying pan!
:4bowser:— RAWRRR! Mario, I'll kidnap the Princess if you don't let me and my troops in! Bwahahah!
:4mario:— No chance. We need some villains to smash against!
:4ness:— Okay.
:4mario:— Hello Ness! Where have you been? Welcome back.
:4fox:— This is Fox. Returning to base!
:4falco:— Hands off my prey!
:4mario:— Alright guys, you're in. And Falco, we need more unlockables, could you be one of them? That's-a great!
:wolf:— I can't let you do that, Star Fox!
:4mario:— Wolf! Glad you're he-
:wolf:— Hmph?
(Bunch of Wolf fans runs immediately after Wolf and throws him over the floor in happiness)
:wolf:— ...Remember... this, Fox... Star Wolf will take you down! Aroooo~
:4mario:— ...
:4darkpit:— Yo! I'm a friend of Pit, can I enter?
:4mario:— Oh-ye!
— Roaaar!!
:4mario:— Oh dear! I'ma afraid I didn't see the other characters behind you. Sadly you're too big. Don't worry, you'll promote as a boss!
:4feroy:— (Outside) Eeyahh! Why am I always late?!

Last edited:

MacClarence

Smash Rookie
Maybe i'm biased cause I'm from the UK but I wouldn't mind if the brought wolf back with a british accent like he had in lylat wars

you'll be seeing your dad soon, Fox

they changed fox and falco's voices so I wouldn't complain.

The only time the Texan Starfox Assualt accent sounded good was:

We're gonna have fun with this thing.

but hopefully the final smash will change anyway so its a non issue

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Maybe i'm biased cause I'm from the UK but I wouldn't mind if the brought wolf back with a british accent like he had in lylat wars

I get completely different impressions from each. The British voice sounds more clever and sneaky while the "Texan" voice, in my modest opinion, sounds more viscous and fits his more aggressive play style To each his own :p

Aviterius

Smash Cadet
I get completely different impressions from each. The British voice sounds more clever and sneaky while the "Texan" voice, in my modest opinion, sounds more viscous and fits his more aggressive play style To each his own :p
Have to agree with this, his brawl voice suits his style in smash better, and I've played all star fox games, so this is no bias either.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
~SUPER SMASH BROTHERS FOR WII U AND NINTENDO 3DS CHARACTER APPLICATION QUEUE~

:4mario:— Welcome friends! Today is the grand day! Wahooo-!
:4luigi:— M...Ma-Maaario... Will I be an unlockable character again?
:4mario:— Bro! Not this time! O'-Look how many characters are here! We have to select the best ones! Alright, who's first?
:4link:— Eeaaah!
:4mario:— That's-a-pretty good, Link! Welcome back. Who's next?
:4kirby:— Kyaaaa~! HI!
:4mario:— Mamma mia Kirby! You're so cute for this new game. You're in! Next!
:4myfriends:— I fight for my friends.
:4mario:— Ike! Come come, pass over here, I'm pretty s'h'ure you're going to fight. Next one!
:4pikachu:— Pika Pika!
:4mario:— You're a must-e. Come in!
:4yoshi:— YOSHIII~
:4mario:— Aw Yoshi, my adorable companion. Come with us to the Super Smash Bros. Four!
:4peach:— Mario! I baked a cake for you.
:4mario:— Princess Peach! It's dangerous to go alone! Prepare your turnips and frying pan!
:4bowser:— RAWRRR! Mario, I'll kidnap the Princess if you don't let me and my troops in! Bwahahah!
:4mario:— No chance. We need some villains to smash against!
:4ness:— Okay.
:4mario:— Hello Ness! Where have you been? Welcome back.
:4fox:— This is Fox. Returning to base!
:4falco:— Hands off my prey!
:4mario:— Alright guys, you're in. And Falco, we need more unlockables, could you be one of them? That's-a great!
:wolf:— I can't let you do that, Star Fox!
:4mario:— Wolf! Glad you're he-
:wolf:— Hmph?
(Bunch of Wolf fans runs immediately after Wolf and throws him over the floor in happiness)
:wolf:— ...Remember... this, Fox... Star Wolf will take you down! Aroooo~
:4mario:— ...
:4darkpit:— Yo! I'm a friend of Pit, can I enter?
:4mario:— Oh-ye!
— Roaaar!!
:4mario:— Oh dear! I'ma afraid I didn't see the other characters behind you. Sadly you're too big. Don't worry, you'll promote as a boss!
:4feroy:— (Outside) Eeyahh! Why am I always late?!
I love how Ridley's icon is the biggest!

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
So no leaks at all? Has the community grown up... or just tired?

D:
A little bit of both. Midway November is as far as I'll go before my hype DIES. Lucas was depressed in Brawl cause he knew he'd get cut--why do you think he's smiling now?

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

I am not biased based on my residency and I still would not mind if they brought Wolf back with a British accent. In fact, I prefer it. The Texan accent really deterred me from playing him if I am going to be completely honest.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
I am not biased based on my residency and I still would not mind if they brought Wolf back with a British accent. In fact, I prefer it. The Texan accent really deterred me from playing him if I am going to be completely honest.
How would you know if your not biased based on your residency? :p lol jk. It really doesn't matter--perhaps there's a way to mute the voices?

Morbi

Scavenger
How would you know if your not biased based on your residency? :p lol jk. It really doesn't matter--perhaps there's a way to mute the voices?
Well, I am not in the UK and I am not obsessed with British people, I just believe that the accent works with Wolf's character. I always envisioned him as more of an elegant, fine and proper badass than a feral, animalistic badass. The Texan accent does not really do much for either of those though.

Last edited:

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Well, I am not in the UK and I am not obsessed with British people, I just believe that the accent works with Wolf's character. I always envisioned him as more of an elegant, fine and proper badass than a feral, animalistic badass. The Texan accent does not really do much for either of those though.
I didn't even hear it as a Texan accent and I'm from Texas myself--for some reason, I remember a New York Gang Leader voice--don't ask me why cause I don't even know XD

Morbi

Scavenger
I didn't even hear it as a Texan accent and I'm from Texas myself--for some reason, I remember a New York Gang Leader voice--don't ask me why cause I don't even know XD
I was just emulating the language of the thread, I would probably just use the term "subtle southern" myself. New York Gang Leader sounds good though, I could always try to imagine that was the vibe they were going for.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Eh, the British accent doesn't really suit his personality if you ask me. He's a gruff mercenary that deals in criminal activity and won't hesitate to tear his enemies apart. His SSBB voice compliments his personality perfectly, it really makes him sound like the badass that he is.

CaptainJimmBob

Smash Journeyman
Yeah supposedly Assault/Brawl Wolf is Texan, or at least somewhere in the southern part of the U.S.

During battle listening to his battle cries in stuff in Brawl, I thought he sounded like a one of those big black guys (I hope that did not sound racist. I always like to be cautious when talking about that particular race, because neither black nor African American is really correct). But in the codecs he sounds more Texan to me.

I like his Assault/Brawl voice better. It sounds more badass.

Last edited:

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
I prefer his brawl voice in smash and in star fox. His voice felt kinda redundant in 64 since leon had a sophisticated British voice too. Plus, it doesn't fit his fighting style and it would be weird having two different versions of wolf since they kept the lylat cruise conversations.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
I have so many ideas for an NX port that probably won't come to fruition!
- ALL 3DS and Wii U stages (including DLC) + More Returning Stages from Melee
- 8 Player smash Online
- 3 on 1 mode in For Fun & Glory
- All Characters (including DLC) + Ice Climbers and a few more additonal ballot picks

And if you add $20, you can get the Deluxe pack which includes all of the above plus 2 specialized discs with one containing Brawl and the other containing Melee/64

Furret24

Smash Master
I have so many ideas for an NX port that probably won't come to fruition!
- ALL 3DS and Wii U stages (including DLC) + More Returning Stages from Melee
- 8 Player smash Online
- 3 on 1 mode in For Fun & Glory
- All Characters (including DLC) + Ice Climbers and a few more additonal ballot picks

And if you add $20, you can get the Deluxe pack which includes all of the above plus 2 specialized discs with one containing Brawl and the other containing Melee/64
Still sounds like something only Sony or Microsoft would do.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Still sounds like something only Sony or Microsoft would do.
Yeah, it does seem like a cheap money grub now that I think about it--I only did it for the Ice Climbers and HUGE pile of stages it would bring. By the way, anybody know where I can find a picture of the CSS with all the DLC and Clones rearranged better?

MacClarence

Smash Rookie
I had no idea his british accent was so unpopular.

lets not forget the famous Can't let you do that, Starfox.
is in his British accent.

Leon Powalski also sounds insanely bad-ass, with a british accent

Andross has ordered us to take you down....

Sent chills down my spine as a kid, it was like andross had personally sent his own evil James Bond MI5 enforcers to **** up my mission to save the Lylat system.

To be honest the southern accent suited Pigma and Andrew so much more, I wish they stayed Texan for the sequels

Daddy screamed REEEALLL good before he died...

^^^ holy crap deliverance flashback

Mellos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
El_Beslic
So a whole month without anything on the ballot.

Thats odd, even for nintendo...

AceArcana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AceArcana
You know just how many games have they released/announced without a direct now...
Yeah, but this is something big, at least in my opinion. Something on this scale to be dropped without any kind of announcement, this would be just plain stupid. Also, a direct is overdue anyways.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I honestly can't tell what the heck is going on in Nintendo's mind, they had Pikmin 4 nearly complete, all the way back at E3, but haven't announced it all, and haven't said anything about the ballot for nearly a month although they've probably finished at least one character by now, it's honestly really weird that their being all quiet about it. Seriously, I can't really think of any reason as to why their being this quiet, the only exception being that their going to announce a lot of things at once for more impact, but it's still been quite some time, so I really don't get why their being this quiet.

AceArcana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AceArcana
I honestly can't tell what the heck is going on in Nintendo's mind
Well, you're not alone there. Pretty much everyone is confused about Nintendo being this quiet for so long. Sure, Iwata's passing came suddenly but by now you'd think a big company like them would have resolved things already. Either that is the case and (as you mentioned) they're going to drop a big batch of info on us or they're actually still trying to figure things out internally (which I honestly can't imagine).

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I'm fine with both the 64 and Assault voices. If anything, I'd prefer the 64 one just so it fits with Fox and Falco's now 64 voices. As for having two different Wolf's, I'm pretty sure the codecs on Lylat Cruise use the Brawl voices aka the Assault voices even though Fox and Falco now have their 64 voices.

I mentioned before how Nintendo has been too quiet as of late. Who knows what's up but something should come out of them eventually. Not good for a business to be hush-hush all the time.

D

Deleted member

What do you all think is Wolf's most satisfying move to land?

I'd say sweetspotted Wolf Flash or his up smash.

AceArcana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AceArcana
There are several I'd like to name. First, yeah, the flash. Second, his side-tilt (this stunning first hit and then the second hit ripping apart your opponent :awesome:) and finally there is nothing more satisfying than blowing up an enemy who's holding an explosive by going straight up to him and using the invincibilty frames of Wolf's down-b to activate this bomb while being unharmed. Did this so many times online and had a (literal) blast.

Top Bottom