• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't get to the next level.

Villagers_Bow1ingball

Smash Rookie
I would say i'm at an intermediate level in smash. i know what my character can and can't do strengths and weaknesses. I know when to use certain techs and when not to use them. But no matter what i try i can't get to that next level. I've tried watching videos for it. I tried playing friendlies but i just cant get there and i dont know y wat do i do.

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Jigglypuff in this case is the reason you're not seeing more results at your level. She is limited as a character and does have strengths that you can work with, you just have to have a large understanding of the matchups for everyone (especially top tiers. Knowing how to deal with other characters lets you place what you know what you can do and put it against them.

If you ultimately stick with her, then grind matches more.. way more. With the intent to improve as well during friendlies.

Last edited:

Villagers_Bow1ingball

Smash Rookie
Yeah, Jigglypuff in this case is the reason you're not seeing more results at your level. She is limited as a character and does have strengths that you can work with, you just have to have a large understanding of the matchups for everyone (especially top tiers. Knowing how to deal with other characters lets you place what you know what you can do and put it against them.

If you ultimately stick with her, then grind matches more.. way more. With the intent to improve as well during friendlies.
So basicaally what everyone
is saying is i should pick up a different character until i can hit the next level and then pick up jiggs again cause if i dont ill be stuck

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
Not necessarily. You can stay Jiggs for as long as you want. If you were to change mains then go back, you would be bothered by how Jigglypuff can't do specific things that you can before, like quicker movement options. You just have to play as jigglypuff more to catch up.

Eekum_bokum

Smash Cadet
Or just prove to the world that your character doesn't suck. Sometimes it just takes one guy to rocket a character up to top tier.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Or you know, fundamentals.

Which everybody somehow forgot to mention.

The guy could pick cloud and still not progress much. Let's give him something with more value than "your character sucks, pick someone else."

cdMyth

Controller Doctor
Writing Team
Do you have any videos of your matches? Your character choice really is not that important, and at your level, Jigglypuff, while still a bad character, still has some fundamental traits.

I feel like your problem might not be your character knowledge, but your bad habits. Maybe you don't know how to fully capitalize off a grab and your punish game is lacking, maybe you aren't proficient at spacing aerials on shield and you constantly get shield grabbed, maybe you roll too much, maybe you don't mix up your approach and let people read you, maybe you don't pay attention to other people's habits and can't capitalize off repeated ledge options / tech patterns / etc.

It's difficult to give you specific advice if you don't provide a specific example of what you're having trouble with, nor provide a video, but I think you might be having problems with habits; it has nothing to do with your character.

Top Bottom