• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't find any Smash 4 tournaments, locally or nationally

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
I've been looking for Smash 4 (Smash for Wii U) tournaments, but can't find any. All of the upcoming tournaments seem to include Ultimate, but not Smash 4. For example, "GENESIS 6" is having Smash 64, Melee and Ultimate, but not Smash 4. Does anyone know of any upcoming tournaments (at the national level) in 2019 that will have Smash 4 as a game?

There were so many Smash 4 tournaments in 2017 and 2018, and I'm wondering if there will be any in 2019.

Quick_S

Smash Rookie
I've been looking for Smash 4 (Smash for Wii U) tournaments, but can't find any. All of the upcoming tournaments seem to include Ultimate, but not Smash 4. For example, "GENESIS 6" is having Smash 64, Melee and Ultimate, but not Smash 4. Does anyone know of any upcoming tournaments (at the national level) in 2019 that will have Smash 4 as a game?

There were so many Smash 4 tournaments in 2017 and 2018, and I'm wondering if there will be any in 2019.
I really doubt that smash 4 will ever be played like that again, why would they? Brawl died when smash 4 came out. Now its time for smash 4 to die. Thank god because smash 4 is booty.

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
Whenever I try to look for a major Smash 4 tournament, I can't find any. Surely there must be at least one major "Smash for the Wii U" tournament somewhere in the world in 2019. If Brawl is still at some tournaments, then Smash 4 ought to be as well.

Does anyone know if "Super Smash Con" will have "Smash for the Wii U" as a tournament game in 2019? ("Super Smash Con" is held in Virginia each August).

Last edited:

Loup

The Wolf
NNID
Frishy
3DS FC
0877-0305-4883
I wouldn't say it would be unreasonable to expect it to be at Smash Con,/ which really isn't a true major as it again a convention (and will run literally anything that's not Project M), it's just a lot of people end up attending Smash Con./

And as a T.O., at multi-game events that aren't literally only smash tournaments like EVO, it only makes sense to run the two smash games with the highest playerbase as now, Smash Ultimate and SSBM. As a T.O., it's also easier to run only these two smash games for logistical and monetary reasons.

And Brawl only had 3 majors last year, GoML, Smash Con, and Return To Subspace, 1 being a dedicated Brawl Major, and the other two literally ran every official smash game. Expect the same treatment for Smash 4, which ended on a rather poor note similar to brawl, and was replaced by a much more fun and balanced game respectively.

And 64 is like Melee or even Project M, as it's playerbase is extremely grassroots, so they found ways to host nationals throughout the games 20 year span, and spawn a very dedicated fanbase who travel to these events for a 20 year old game with little to no actual payout for years. Not saying it's not impossible for smash 4 to pull off something similar, but odds are very much against it. Smash Ultimate is not only very similar to the point one could say really it's just a Smash 4.5, most people think the games more balanced and fun. Smash 4 is also tied to the Wii U.

Isaac4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
someletters
3DS FC
4270-5125-0529
Switch FC
SW-0987-8922-3098
Whenever I try to look for a major Smash 4 tournament, I can't find any. Surely there must be at least one major "Smash for the Wii U" tournament somewhere in the world in 2019. If Brawl is still at some tournaments, then Smash 4 ought to be as well.

Does anyone know if "Super Smash Con" will have "Smash for the Wii U" as a tournament game in 2019? ("Super Smash Con" is held in Virginia each August).
I doubt smash 4 will really have anything this year. Yeah, brawl had some tournaments but you forget that brawl had its own identity and it was already a while after smash 4 came out. Ultimate is only 2 months old so 4 will basically be ignored until maybe ultimate is 1 year old.

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
I doubt smash 4 will really have anything this year. Yeah, brawl had some tournaments but you forget that brawl had its own identity and it was already a while after smash 4 came out. Ultimate is only 2 months old so 4 will basically be ignored until maybe ultimate is 1 year old.
So far, Smash 4 has only one major tournament in 2019 -- the "Super Smash Con" in Virginia (August 2019).

In 2019, Smash 64 has 9 major tournaments, Melee has 14 major tournaments, Brawl has 3 major tournaments, Project M has 4 major tournaments, Smash 4 has only 1 major tournament, and Ultimate has 42 major tournaments. So it appears that (from a tournament point-of-view) Smash 4 is the most ignored smash game.

This is unfortunate because Smash 4 (specifically Smash for the Wii U) is the smash game I have the most experience with (I've played more than 1,100 hours of Smash 4 -- almost entirely as Yoshi).

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
So far, Smash 4 has only one major tournament in 2019 -- the "Super Smash Con" in Virginia (August 2019).

In 2019, Smash 64 has 9 major tournaments, Melee has 14 major tournaments, Brawl has 3 major tournaments, Project M has 4 major tournaments, Smash 4 has only 1 major tournament, and Ultimate has 42 major tournaments. So it appears that (from a tournament point-of-view) Smash 4 is the most ignored smash game.

This is unfortunate because Smash 4 (specifically Smash for the Wii U) is the smash game I have the most experience with (I've played more than 1,100 hours of Smash 4 -- almost entirely as Yoshi).
Just get a switch so you can play Ultimate. Yoshi is top tier and going from Smash 4 to Ultimate becomes easy since you know the basics

GhostM

Phantom

Ultimate is a faster version of Smash 4, so a lot of people are going to flock to Ultimate. Smash 4 at this point is starting to become the most forgotten smash game, and I’m surprised that brawl is even alive at this point. Honestly I’d say just switch to Ultimate, and even with your experience with Yoshi, it wouldn’t be hard for you to adapt. It was hard for me coming from Melee.

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
I agree with the other comments. Try to get Ultimate when you can because it is a much better version of 4 and the competitive scene for Ultimate is huge. Smash 4 is dying at this point because every switched to Ultimate. It is not that much different from Smash 4, and Yoshi is really good here.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
I agree with the other comments. Try to get Ultimate when you can because it is a much better version of 4 and the competitive scene for Ultimate is huge. Smash 4 is dying at this point because every switched to Ultimate. It is not that much different from Smash 4, and Yoshi is really good here.
much better in every way except the online that made brawl's online look good

GhostM

Phantom
much better in every way except the online that made brawl's online look good
Is it really as bad as everyone is claiming it to be? I haven’t touched online at all because Smash 4’s online for me was plagued by input lag, and I feel as if I’m going to have the same input lag problem. I only play against skilled friends locally.

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
Is it really as bad as everyone is claiming it to be? I haven’t touched online at all because Smash 4’s online for me was plagued by input lag, and I feel as if I’m going to have the same input lag problem. I only play against skilled friends locally.
Yeah for sure, I never really had any lag problems for For Glory but Ultimate has a ton of lag and the people aren't even that good

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
The only things preventing me from playing Ultimate are money* and the poor reviews that Ultimate's online mode has gotten so far (most people say Ultimate's online is broken / lackluster). Still, I do plan to eventually abandon Smash 4 and start playing Ultimate regularly (because the Smash community as a whole has abandoned Smash 4**.) Also, the fact that people are saying Yoshi is good in Ultimate makes me want to play Ultimate. Plus, there are things Ultimate does better than Smash 4 (such as the larger roster of characters, and the inclusion of King K. Rool -- King K. Rool has been one of my favorite video game characters since the mid-1990s.)

* It costs a lot to buy a Switch, and buy the Ultimate game itself, and buy the $20 online annual subscription, and buy accessories such as controllers and WiFi stabilizers -- total cost would probably be at least $400 (though I've heard a cheaper Switch is being released soon)
**Even in 2019, there are still some people playing Smash 4's online modes. Based on in-game player profiles (viewed after each match), most Smash 4 players in 2019 appear to be from Latin American countries such as Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Peru, etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom