• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cant do any of falcon combos.

Ebbit

Smash Cadet
NNID
Shipwreck
3DS FC
4313-1831-9997
I cant really seem to hit with any of falcons combos, they always seem to get out of hitstun before i can reach them to attack. Any tips?

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Go to training mode. Watch combo videos. Pause them at key moments and try to mimic exactly what you see in these videos with regard to the timing. Then go practice against CPUs. Then go practice against humans.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
You can't do d-throw -> uair? Or even f-throw -> dash attack?

You probably just need to step up your game i.e. play faster. Improve your reaction time. Try playing training mode in slow motion and making those combos, like @ Warlock*G Warlock*G said. Then try doing it in normal motion.

opplemobl

Smash Rookie
You can't do d-throw -> uair? Or even f-throw -> dash attack?

You probably just need to step up your game i.e. play faster. Improve your reaction time. Try playing training mode in slow motion and making those combos, like @ Warlock*G Warlock*G said. Then try doing it in normal motion.
Just wondering, do you know if fthrow-dashattack is a true combo? I've been doing it with good success online but I haven't seen anyone mention it before on smashboards. F-throw to dash attack to upair seems to work most of the time. I don't have access to the game right now, or I'd test it.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I don't know if it's a true combo, but I do know it's an extremely good follow-up at low percents. It's always my starter combo.

FoxMcClown

Smash Rookie
Its easy to training vs the bot, but really combos are not the all mean to win in smash. They are there to get some start up damage. Against many character some combos are barely viable. Learning them is good, but dont expect to lock someone down for many attacks in general as anything but diddy.

Maître Luigi

Smash Apprentice
Captain Falcon has a very strong combo game on ALL characters 0-100%+. I am compiling a detailed list against each character, including both damages and percentages for which each combo works. I suggest focus on juggling with short hopping into N-Air. You can combo after any part of it hitting. Also, practice dashing after throwing. The timing on combos after D-Throw are very tight (this includes Knee).

Short hop -> N-Air(1) -> Jabs_F-Tilt_Grab_Tackle works on ALL characters at ALL percents.

Also, I have not found anything from U-Throw, B-Throw, F-Smash, D-Tilt. Please PM me if you know of anything and I'll try it out.

ArchmageMC

Smash Apprentice
I have a hard time with them too. Unlike most people who make these vids, I'm trying them out against lvl 9 cpus, who are probably what everyone should be doing as they DI perfectly and can airdodge perfectly, making combos difficult or impossible. Sure they can't handle bait and punish, but thats not the point, the point is to get your combos working on something that can button read you to see if its a true combo or not.

And from my experience, capt has no combos besides dthrow > uair at 30-50% or Dthrow Nair first kick gentleman. I just hope I'm doing something wrong or something.

Last edited:

Maître Luigi

Smash Apprentice
D-Throw -> U-Air combos most characters from 0-130%, the exception is Bowser. I've only been able to combo this from 10-100%, but this is prone to change in the future.

If any move whiffs from the opponent attempting to DI, YOU did something wrong. Chances are, you didn't dash far enough before jumping and/or you didn't dashing early enough after your D-Throw.

Also, for better practice, make sure the training mode CPU is set to level 9. The training mode CPU should now regularly DI, just the same as in a regular match.

Last edited:

ArchmageMC

Smash Apprentice
D-Throw -> U-Air combos most characters from 0-130%, the exception is Bowser. I've only been able to combo this from 10-100%, but this is prone to change in the future.

If any move whiffs from the opponent attempting to DI, YOU did something wrong. Chances are, you didn't dash far enough before jumping and/or you didn't dashing early enough after your D-Throw.

Also, for better practice, make sure the training mode CPU is set to level 9. The training mode CPU should now regularly DI, just the same as in a regular match.
Hm. I see whatchya mean, but at higher %s, the CPUs can DI away, usually after 90. Some get a bit higher, the floaties get a bit lower, but thats about what I get.

I'm more miffed that you can't do Dthrow > uair > uair at all. They come out of hitstun before you can uair again, which means airdodge. Dthrow > uair is a true combo, while the followup Uair/Fair is a frame trap. Unless there is something I'm missing to make that 2nd uair a true combo as well?

Last edited:

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Its easy to training vs the bot, but really combos are not the all mean to win in smash. They are there to get some start up damage. Against many character some combos are barely viable. Learning them is good, but dont expect to lock someone down for many attacks in general as anything but diddy.
You summed it up best.

Maître Luigi

Smash Apprentice
Captain Falcon has many combos that are akin to his melee counterpart in this game, and they're just as difficult.

For example: short hop ~> N-Air (both hits) ~> short hop -> N-Air (both hits) ~> short hop ~> U-Air ~> fast-fall ~> short hop ~> U-Air ~> fast-fall ~> full jump ~> U-Air -> jump -> U-Air

This is a true 8-hit combo that does 68-72%. And the last hit often times can be replaced for a Knee (meaning 87-90% on a few characters). These kinds of combos work on all characters at pretty much all percents from at least 0-100%. On Ganondorf, however, starting at 4% I can combo him, from full stage, to the bast zone.

For characters who cannot be hit by D-Throw -> U-Air at 0%. Do N-Air (both hits) -> Tackle_grab -> U-Air. This does 32-33% damage, which is enough damage on Bowser to start performing other, more damaging combos. I'm currently working on getting the percents right for D-Throw Knee. But, since I actually was able to perform it on Bowser from at least 32-60% there is a good chance that this does in-fact combo on all characters, but I'll get back to you on that.

I'm working on my list of combos (with specific damages and percents) and probably eventually a combo video or two exhibiting some of the harder to perform combos. And yes, I incorporate these combos in my regular game-play, the hardest thing to get used to is dashing immediately after D-Throw and F-Throw.

Here are a few combos into Knee that are on my guide (use Marth for easier practice):
D-Throw -> Knee
U-Air -> Knee
N-Air (both hits) -> Knee
U-Air (mid-air) -> Knee
B-Air -> Tackle (weak) -> U-Air -> Knee
Tackle -> Knee
Tackle (weak) -> Knee
D-Throw -> U-Air -> Knee
D-Throw -> U-Air -> U-Air -> Knee
N-Air (2) -> Tackle (weak) -> U-Air -> Knee
N-Air (both hits) -> N-Air (both hits) -> Knee
N-Air (both hits) -> N-Air (both hits) -> U-Air -> Knee

I have personally combo-ed all of these on Marth, so try your best. I'll have the correct damages and percents when I update my guide next.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Unlike most people who make these vids, I'm trying them out against lvl 9 cpus, who are probably what everyone should be doing as they DI perfectly and can airdodge perfectly, making combos difficult or impossible.
Beware of that train of thought. CPUs have superhuman reaction time, obviously, but are also dumb most of the time. I still think practicing against a buddy is the best way to test combos.

ArchmageMC

Smash Apprentice
Beware of that train of thought. CPUs have superhuman reaction time, obviously, but are also dumb most of the time. I still think practicing against a buddy is the best way to test combos.
Well for CPUs is a good idea to train for TRUE combos on them as they do have that superhuman reaction time. Otherwise for general fighting you should fight humans as CPUs are very predictable and can't handle bait + punish gameplay very well.

Captain Falcon has many combos that are akin to his melee counterpart in this game, and they're just as difficult.

For example: short hop ~> N-Air (both hits) ~> short hop -> N-Air (both hits) ~> short hop ~> U-Air ~> fast-fall ~> short hop ~> U-Air ~> fast-fall ~> full jump ~> U-Air -> jump -> U-Air

This is a true 8-hit combo that does 68-72%. And the last hit often times can be replaced for a Knee (meaning 87-90% on a few characters). These kinds of combos work on all characters at pretty much all percents from at least 0-100%. On Ganondorf, however, starting at 4% I can combo him, from full stage, to the bast zone.

For characters who cannot be hit by D-Throw -> U-Air at 0%. Do N-Air (both hits) -> Tackle_grab -> U-Air. This does 32-33% damage, which is enough damage on Bowser to start performing other, more damaging combos. I'm currently working on getting the percents right for D-Throw Knee. But, since I actually was able to perform it on Bowser from at least 32-60% there is a good chance that this does in-fact combo on all characters, but I'll get back to you on that.

I'm working on my list of combos (with specific damages and percents) and probably eventually a combo video or two exhibiting some of the harder to perform combos. And yes, I incorporate these combos in my regular game-play, the hardest thing to get used to is dashing immediately after D-Throw and F-Throw.

Here are a few combos into Knee that are on my guide (use Marth for easier practice):
D-Throw -> Knee
U-Air -> Knee
N-Air (both hits) -> Knee
U-Air (mid-air) -> Knee
B-Air -> Tackle (weak) -> U-Air -> Knee
Tackle -> Knee
Tackle (weak) -> Knee
D-Throw -> U-Air -> Knee
D-Throw -> U-Air -> U-Air -> Knee
N-Air (2) -> Tackle (weak) -> U-Air -> Knee
N-Air (both hits) -> N-Air (both hits) -> Knee
N-Air (both hits) -> N-Air (both hits) -> U-Air -> Knee

I have personally combo-ed all of these on Marth, so try your best. I'll have the correct damages and percents when I update my guide next.
Are you testing vs the default CPU in training or turning it to a lvl 9 cpu? because the latter DIs/VIs, the former doesn't. I know for a fact that Uair Jump Uair is not a combo ever with extensive testing vs lvl 9s. Vs lvl 3s yeah it is, but lvl 9s DI far enough away to airdodge before you hit with the uair.

Last edited:

Maître Luigi

Smash Apprentice
I test on Level 9 CPU's! The only exception is that I test Shulk (heavy) with a second person. Outside of juggling INTO grabs, I only post combos that the game registers as a combo.

ArchmageMC

Smash Apprentice
I test on Level 9 CPU's! The only exception is that I test Shulk (heavy) with a second person. Outside of juggling INTO grabs, I only post combos that the game registers as a combo.
Hm, might need to see the percentages then whenever you can. Sounds like I'm doing something wrong then or something.

Maître Luigi

Smash Apprentice
Try doing D-Throw -> U-Air on any character at 0% (except Bowser). If you can't get the game to register a two-hit combo, you messed up. If this is the case, you probably aren't dashing fast enough after the D-Throw or not doing U-Air fast enough after jumping.

I'm currently working on the percentages for D-Throw -> Knee on every character. I'll probably have the percentages for the simpler combos up by next weekend.

Ebbit

Smash Cadet
NNID
Shipwreck
3DS FC
4313-1831-9997
I have been working on my falcon, and i can kinda do some, but its hard without a good controller. Thanks for the tips though.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Now you got me curious, @ Ebbit Ebbit ... What controller do you use?

If you don't have a good controller you should definitely use the Gamepad. It's basically a Pro Controller with a screen in the middle, and Pro Controllers are very legit.

Maître Luigi

Smash Apprentice
I use 3DS, Wii U Game pad, Wii Classic Controller. I'm not fond of the GCN controller but I occasionally use it. I can manage to do all combos on all the controllers I listed. M

I do not own a Wii U Pro controller; however, I do own some Wii GoldenEye Classic Clontrollers.

ArchmageMC

Smash Apprentice
I've got the classic controller that acts like a GCN controller, but I feel I have some lag sometimes. Is it because I'm using a wii release wii remote? Should I/is there a better wii remote?

Maître Luigi

Smash Apprentice
There is slight lag on all wireless peripherals, though it seems to be considerably less with the Wii U Gamepad. If you have a controller or device that plugs directly into the system, like a GCN controller, you will eliminate the input delay between you and your console.

ArchmageMC

Smash Apprentice
There is slight lag on all wireless peripherals, though it seems to be considerably less with the Wii U Gamepad. If you have a controller or device that plugs directly into the system, like a GCN controller, you will eliminate the input delay between you and your console.
I know that, I just don't have that adapter, and was wondering if newer wii remotes have a better wireless communication time than a 2006 wii remote.

Ebbit

Smash Cadet
NNID
Shipwreck
3DS FC
4313-1831-9997
Now you got me curious, @ Ebbit Ebbit ... What controller do you use?

If you don't have a good controller you should definitely use the Gamepad. It's basically a Pro Controller with a screen in the middle, and Pro Controllers are very legit.
I do, but i really have issues with the sticks on the gamepad, without that little hex like on the gc controllers, i screw up my aerials, and my specials a lot.

Ebbit

Smash Cadet
NNID
Shipwreck
3DS FC
4313-1831-9997

how are you even pulling off short hop n-airs with both hits? And even when i hit with both at zero in the air i cant get over to them fast enough to do it again.

Maître Luigi

Smash Apprentice
You'll have a much easier time from 3-20%, anything else becomes much more difficult. At 0-2% you must slightly delay the N-Air after the first short hop (doesn't work on some characters).

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I've got the classic controller that acts like a GCN controller, but I feel I have some lag sometimes. Is it because I'm using a wii release wii remote? Should I/is there a better wii remote?
That controller is basically a Classic Controller Pro. For some reason, all classic controllers have a little more lag than usual :\ both the Pro Wii U Controller and the Wii U Gamepad are less laggy.

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
I couldn't get both hits of the nair off on a standing Pikachu in training, am i doing it wrong, or is it just not possible on really short characters?

Last edited:

Ebbit

Smash Cadet
NNID
Shipwreck
3DS FC
4313-1831-9997
I couldn't get both hits of the nair off on a standing Pikachu in training, am i doing it wrong, or is it just not possible on really short characters?
Short characters are hard to hit with most of what falcon has, i just cant seem to do 2 short hop n-airs that true combo.

Ebbit

Smash Cadet
NNID
Shipwreck
3DS FC
4313-1831-9997
You'll have a much easier time from 3-20%, anything else becomes much more difficult. At 0-2% you must slightly delay the N-Air after the first short hop (doesn't work on some characters).
would you mind making a video of your 8 hit combo? I cant even begin to fathom how it works.

Maître Luigi

Smash Apprentice
SH N-Air from standing does NOT work on the following characters:
Duck Hunt
Fox
Greninja
Jigglypuff
Kirby
Metaknight
Mr. Game & Watch
Olminar
Pikachu

Though it does if you're on the ledge. Also the first hit of N-Air does hit Fox and Greninja his standing animations, both hits won't combo (at least I couldn't).

Ebbit

Smash Cadet
NNID
Shipwreck
3DS FC
4313-1831-9997
I feel like i might be really bad at this. I cant find a way to use combos in a match, and i cant even do any of the true combos listed in maitreluigis guide. Is there a way i can improve my skills?

Maître Luigi

Smash Apprentice
Try practicing against the Lvl. 9 CPU in Training Mode against a few different characters. After you have things down move on to a Lvl. 9 CPU in Smash Mode. You'll eventually have built a good feel for combos and strategy against many characters, so then try against human opponents offline or online. Playing human opponents will help you learn about different play-styles and force you to space more as you face off against more skilled players.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Alternatively, maybe just play other high-paced games, @ Ebbit Ebbit . Improve your reaction time. Stuff like that will help you in Sm4sh too :)

Last edited:

Lanzoma

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lanzoma
3DS FC
3024-6365-7774

I made a short video to show some combos on Fox, for those that want to see timings and what not. @ Ebbit Ebbit I added a 9 hit combo of d-throw to n-airs; it's not the combo @ M Maître Luigi mentioned, but it should give you an idea.

Also, I found that you CAN link both hits of n-air on Fox, but the timing is pretty strict and you have to fast-fall ASAP. Fox reaches the floor too quickly and I couldn't get any followups, but it does set up a tech chase option / tech fail punish.

It should be noted that MOST combos in this game are only possible if the opponent DIs in a way that's beneficial to you. Practicing combos is important to know what options you have available, but in a real match, it all comes down to reacting and improvising according to the situation.

For example:
Low percent d-throw on Fox leads to
-> DI Away? -> Tackle -> Chase
-> DI Away/Up? -> SH nair x4
-> DI Up? -> SH nair x2 -> FH nair -> DJ uair

Last edited:

Maître Luigi

Smash Apprentice
As I stated in my guide:
Guide said:
SH N-Air (1HO) ~ FF N-Air (2HO) == SH N-Air~FF
SH N-Air (1HO) ~ F + N-Air (2HO) == SH N-Air
SH N-Air Works On:
All characters except:4greninja::4fox: and short characters
SH N-Air~FF Works On:
All characters except short characters.
The follow-ups from SH N-Air~FF are the same as FF N-Air (2HO), which are listed as the following:
Guide said:
FF N-Air (2)
Guide said:
FF N-Air (2) -> SH U-Air
FF N-Air (2) -> SD Tackle (1)
FF N-Air (2) -> SD Tackle (2)

FF N-Air (2) -> D D-Throw
FF N-Air (2) -> D F-Throw
FF N-Air (2) -> F-Tilt
SH N-Air -> DD Knee
SH N-Air -> DD Knee (2)
SH N-Air -> SD RAR
Lanzoma said:
Also, I found that you CAN link both hits of n-air on Fox, but the timing is pretty strict and you have to fast-fall ASAP. Fox reaches the floor too quickly and I couldn't get any followups, but it does set up a tech chase option / tech fail punish.
At very low percents (0~18%) the only follow-ups are Tackle (2) and Grab (for better consistency use the extended dash grab).

Lanzoma said:
It should be noted that MOST combos in this game are only possible if the opponent DIs in a way that's beneficial to you. Practicing combos is important to know what options you have available, but in a real match, it all comes down to reacting and improvising according to the situation.
All combos have been tested with horizontal and vertical DI and are hit-confirmed. This is only the case post patch since vectoring has been removed. The original lists of when combos worked deferred since you could increase horizontal/vertical knock-back.

After D-Throw or SH N-Air there is actually a long hit-stun on the opponent, and at some point in the trajectory when the opponent starts falling they are vulnerable to both hits of N-Air regardless of DI. Once more, you can force a more horizontal trajectory by fast falling the later SH N-Airs making more SH N-Airs possible. You can also reverse the direction of the combo by DDSH N-Air with the back hitting or SD Pivot -> SH N-Air (the later is more difficult but makes the rest of the follow-ups easier).

Last edited:

Lanzoma

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lanzoma
3DS FC
3024-6365-7774
Sorry for the confusion, I meant to say that Fox can be hit while standing with both hits of n-air. It's shown in the video I posted around the end.

As for DI, I'm pretty sure some combos aren't guaranteed, like 0% d-throw -> tackle on Fox. I can only get it to register as a combo with horizontal DI, and coincidentally in that situation I have not been able to link n-air or u-air. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

Also, it might just be me, but I feel like in the WiiU version the level 9 cpu DIs better than the 3DS version. Has anybody else noticed this?

Last edited:

Maître Luigi

Smash Apprentice
Lanzoma said:
Sorry for the confusion, I meant to say that Fox can be hit while standing with both hits of n-air. It's shown in the video I posted around the end.
How I have this written is:
Guide said:
SH N-Air (1HO) ~ FF N-Air (2HO) == SH N-Air~FF
Lanzoma said:
As for DI, I'm pretty sure some combos aren't guaranteed, like 0% d-throw -> tackle on Fox. I can only get it to register as a combo with horizontal DI, and coincidentally in that situation I have not been able to link n-air or u-air. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.
You're not dashing early enough after D-Throw.

Lanzoma said:
Also, it might just be me, but I feel like in the WiiU version the level 9 cpu DIs better than the 3DS version. Has anybody else noticed this?
Smash AI has always been pretty bad.

Top Bottom