• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't control how well i play.

Wyverian

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5472-6896-8093
Not sure if it's just me or not, but i have a rep in my group as the best Sheik player, out of my group of Smash buddies anyway. But the thing is, some days ill play really well, other times i play like ****, or even in the heat of the moment ill start playing like my life depended on it o,o it;s odd that i cant control it, i feel its holding me back from doing my best lol. Anyone else experience this, with any fighting game in general?

Last edited:

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I absolutely feel this when it comes to Smash 3DS. And I think it's mostly because of the Circle Pad, sometimes registering tilts when I wanted a smash or vice versa, a problem that did not occur in other games. Nevertheless, I keep playing the game because I enjoy it and I generally start to get the results I want now but, yes, I do feel like it holds me back a little bit and I have to try to work around executing a move I didn't want in the first place.

Wyverian

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5472-6896-8093
Ah yes, like side B ing off the ledge instead of up B. Happens alot >.> but i also think the overall problem for me is that i dont focus all the time, sometimes i'm too aggressive and don't think lmfao

D

Deleted member

definitely when I'm playing fox. Sometimes I'm on point with every move, but other times i mess up and get punished because of his major end lag on like everything but neutral air

Raijinken

Smash Master
It just happens sometimes. If you have a reputation in your group as the best (or one of 'em), odds are some bad days won't ruin that.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
It's an emotional thing.
I tell you, the one absolutely universal and unequivocally best way for any human to reduce their nervousness or anger of anything or from anything is to be humble.
It only happens in humans that we become disquieted over our performance if it is out of line with our expectations. Not any expectation that is openly stated and sought after, mind you, but our implicit expectations, our true underlying estimation of our own ability. You yourself say that you feel it is 'holding you back' from playing your best. Is this not true? Perhaps it is, but I say it is a prideful estimation, and precisely what is holding you back.

Once you remove emotion, and the single greatest force of emotional conduct, pride, you will become more consistent. All of this is inevitable.
Now, entire consistency is impossible, since there are a number of factors other than emotion affecting our play, but emotion is the single greatest negative force that can be presented there.

Last edited:

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
It just happens sometimes. If you have a reputation in your group as the best (or one of 'em), odds are some bad days won't ruin that.
You're right, but that won't stop your friend from freaking out and bragging about how they beat you that one time because you messed up or something.

Raijinken

Smash Master
You're right, but that won't stop your friend from freaking out and bragging about how they beat you that one time because you messed up or something.
That exact occurrence is the very quickest way to make me salty. I started countering it by suggesting they buy us a pizza to celebrate. They got tired of hearing the joke, and thus stopped celebrating their minor victories over my off-characters (thank goodness I never lost on a main).

But yea, being the best in a group is very double-edged. Especially if you can't convince the rest of that group that you're not actually anywhere near being a competitively capable player.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
If they brag, I'll let it slide, since that is what friends do I guess. I know I have done it, but out of jest. If they start becoming a **** about it, I'll play them with my main to shut them up.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Playing well in any game can take a toll on your brain. Even pro's stress out from thinking really hard and playing their best. Only with experience will it become easier for you to be more calm and more consistent with your play, but it wont go away completely. Do try to relax and have fun though.

Tuffi

Smash Rookie
NNID
7uff1Mii
I get this kinda often... Even thought sometimes it doesn't happen even after some intense sessions. I dream that one day scientists and doctors will develop a cure for this. It gets me sad when it happens. But seriously, any tips on how to work this out?

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
yeah, this happens in all games. It's even worse in shooters.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I have something like this when I battle a certain person. I usually lose to them unless it's a team battle and I'm confused as to who I'm fighting. In which case I win like normal.

-_skinny_-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3668-9841-7290
Omg this always happens and i found a way that works, at least for me. I try to avenge somebody lol. Like once i went hard in the paint cuz i pictured i had to avenge my friends after a little mac kidnapped them and put them in a cage over a volcano, and i had to beat the key out of mac lol
it worked for me, try it i guess lol

Darkzephr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-4533-2435
There are so many outside factors that can affect your gameplay significantly. People who practice music will be able to empathize with this.

if you are tired, hungry, cold, hot, frustrated, or experiencing anything other than what you're typically practicing in, it will affect you to a degree.

I've heard of a few Esports players actually practicing under difficult circumstances in order to prepare them for the change they can expect in tournament play. It might not be worthwhile when you don't play professionally though.

I know it sucks that someone will brag and be overjoyed with beating you, but think of it as a huge compliment. The only reason they are so excited about it, is because even standing a chance against you is considered a higher accomplishment than beating the others in the group. You cant win 100% of the time, and if you did, your friends would probably hate playing you, or decide to not play you at all. Just something to keep in mind.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I know it sucks that someone will brag and be overjoyed with beating you, but think of it as a huge compliment. The only reason they are so excited about it, is because even standing a chance against you is considered a higher accomplishment than beating the others in the group. You cant win 100% of the time, and if you did, your friends would probably hate playing you, or decide to not play you at all. Just something to keep in mind.
Oh, absolutely. I understand that this is the kind of way I should be taking it, and I am. My problem isn't the fact that I lost, it's them being so loud about it, going around and telling the rest of the group that they managed to beat me. They won and that's great, but sometimes some people need to take easier on the bragging and say something like "Whoa, that was tough, but close! Good game!" instead of "OOOOOH! I FINALLY BEAT HIM!" I'm just another player, I'm not some final boss or something.

Darkzephr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-4533-2435
But in their mind, you are the final boss. Everyone in that group of friends is competing to see who can beat you, because you are the best. Have fun with it. I don't know if you've ever played the board game "The Resistance", but it basically involves logic and deception (two things I am known for), every game I am accused of being the spy, even when I'm not. At first it was frustrating, but eventually I started just playing along and accepting it. I had way more fun after that point.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I dubbed this "smash biorhythms" years ago.

Try playing as a different character: you might be surprised to learn that you may suck with your main but be surprisingly good with an alt that day.

Wyverian

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5472-6896-8093
It's an emotional thing.
I tell you, the one absolutely universal and unequivocally best way for any human to reduce their nervousness or anger of anything or from anything is to be humble.
It only happens in humans that we become disquieted over our performance if it is out of line with our expectations. Not any expectation that is openly stated and sought after, mind you, but our implicit expectations, our true underlying estimation of our own ability. You yourself say that you feel it is 'holding you back' from playing your best. Is this not true? Perhaps it is, but I say it is a prideful estimation, and precisely what is holding you back.

Once you remove emotion, and the single greatest force of emotional conduct, pride, you will become more consistent. All of this is inevitable.
Now, entire consistency is impossible, since there are a number of factors other than emotion affecting our play, but emotion is the single greatest negative force that can be presented there.
You took the words right out my mouth! or...head. But yeah, emotion is a key factor actually, i got into a small fight with my gf the other day, and the whole day i kept getting REKT by my friends. I felt like **** most of that day lol. And also, thanks for the feedback guy's, i really appreciate it~

Top Bottom