• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

can't beat greninja players

jeffreyjrj

Smash Rookie
Every time i fight against someone that uses greninja i usually just back out cause i lose every time, but i need some advice on how to play against him with zelda. I would also like some tips against little mac players too.

I haven't played a smash game since melee so i would consider myself a beginner, If you can give me some pointers i would appreciate it.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
:4greninja: is one of our toughest matchups. What I've found with a lot of For Glory Greninjas is that they like grabbing a lot since his dash attack isn't great for his approach. Learn the pattern on when he tries to grab you and spotdodge or even use Nayru's love since it has invulnerability frames and the grab won't register. He'll get caught in the full hitbox of Nayru's love on top of that. The really good Greninjas will outspace you with Water Shuriken. Reflecting this with Nayru's love is also your best bet.

If you're having trouble against his shadow sneak, make a habit of watching when he starts walking towards you and look at the ground when he does this. You can see his shadow moving towards you on the ground. Just shield this and punish him accordingly. He has so much endlag on that move that you can punish him with a forward smash or even hit him with Farore's Wind to pop him up into the second hit of Farore's (which I've been hearing referenced as Farore's Elevator).

When it comes to :4littlemac: he'll be rushing you down the entire time. The key to this matchup is keeping calm. Be patient and punish him for the few moves he has that are actually punishable. His dash attack is his most punishable move and the most popular among most Mac players on FG. Shield grab him (sometimes he'll end up behind you after this attack so you should turn around to grab him or you can dash attack if he's really far) and follow up with a down throw. Down throw is our best combo starter throw and can be followed up with nair, bair, or uair reliably on Mac.

Don't overuse Din's Fire on this matchup. The moment you start it up, Mac will usually already be in your face before the flame has even erupted. Also, remember to take advantage of his terrible recovery. As soon as he's off the stage, you can hit him with a dair for Zelda's deadly meteor smash or even a fair or nair. Even sourspotted fairs can get him far enough offstage so he can't recover.

I hope this helps! Best of luck to you!

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
What about Greninja is giving you trouble? I ask because I have rarely fought Greninja players, and the few that I did, I didn't have much trouble with so far. What moves is he doing that are overwhelming you? How is he playing? Defensive, aggro, a mix? Is he being too grab happy?

Last edited:
Top Bottom