• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canonical Video Game Tier List: Updated Omega Ridley vs. Perfect Chaos

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why is this thread even discussing things as Omega Ridley vs Perfect Chaos? Can't we just keep it with Smash characters?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
neither mines, also you can compare all videogame characters all you want but you know captain falcon still wins, if not the he will kill everyone with his plasma gun he has never used.
If Captain Falcon has never used "his plasma gun" before, then how can you determine the potency of such attack?

and another question...do you have girlfriend? you keep wrting stupidly long responses and stay logged for too long, do you have life? i do, i has a girlfriend so i don´t have time to play videogames (the last time i played a videogame was like 3 months ago) i post in the smash forums because i know about the smash games but seriously, don´t let videogames eat your life and go out more.

NOTE: i´m not trolling, just giving you a tip on how to have controll with your videogame adiction.
Irrelevant. If I had an addiction, I would be playing World of Warcraft.

@Dryn: Sorry, it will be a bit before I can manage a response to your earlier post. Though I'd like to request something: for the sake of the ridiculous size these posts are reaching (especially due to how obnoxious quoting them can be, as has been seen) and the time and effort they consume, would it bother you if I instead narrowed my focus and responded to one/two issue(s) at a time?
It wouldn't bother me at all. But I don't want to take too much time dealing with these things, as the main focus is to have two characters duke it out. It may start out small, but then expand over time, which is the only problem I can see coming from this. I understand that you want a common ground, and I hope I can answer the questions you have. At the same time, there is going to need to be assumptions on a few things that hopefully shouldn't affect characters in a way so that he or she becomes too weak or too strong.

It seems the characters you wish to represent are from the Mario Universe, as you appear to have a lot of knowledge about the characters, and you use examples that you think work best. (I'm that way with Metroid. ;)) I am thinking that perhaps if you are going to do this, you should choose the strongest character in the Marioverse and offer examples of physical strength, speed, durability, agility, anything that makes a specific character stand out above the rest.

—"Strength" is described as 'The ability to lift an object over one's head.' This seems a bit open for interpretation. Is this physical strength? Telekinetic beings, for example, can exert physical force without physical means. And why is this the only indication of strength?
—How is this going to work for a character like GLaDOS? Her 'body' exists in the form of a massive reconstructable facility that is several miles across, entirely self-sustaining, and deep underground. She can freely use this facility as she pleases, it being her 'body' (and referred to as such).
Hahaha! All right, so if you aren't aware, I am using the type of definition that the DC and Marvel Universes use. I understand what you mean by this being open for interpretation. So, to answer your question, yes, characters with telekinectic abilities can use this ability to offer physical strength. As for GLaDOS, I am not sure how she would be able to show this kind of strength.

If you want to expand a bit more, you are more than welcome to. I don't wish to simply have strength, speed, and durability as the only list. For example, I haven't mentioned firepower, but if a character has a lot of firepower to choose from, then that can be mentioned. Same with reaction time, agility, marksmanship, whatever. Maybe I should make a list similar to Marvel's so this can be expanded.

Why is this thread even discussing things as Omega Ridley vs Perfect Chaos? Can't we just keep it with Smash characters?
If I did that, then there wouldn't be any point. The Smash characters were already discussed. Maybe when Super Smash Bros. 4 come out.

I know the idea is to have fun with the match-ups; the trouble is those are often ruined by people quibbling over the rules (the Pokédex in particular is remarkable at inducing mass idiocy), so I prefer to clear up everything to start with.

Mm. My "specialty" would likely be the Marioverse, as I know the most about it, but I've a fair bit of knowledge about a number of series. …Though, for the sake of not getting wrapped up in another of these (no offense, but they soak up incredible amounts of time) I probably won't do much about the matches. For now, I'll just work at the rules.

As for 'stats' (not quite what they are, but that's what I'll call them for now), I think they can work as a general reference guide for examples of a character's accomplishments, but they're not so good for individual match-ups — particularly of the kind that rely on a character's abilities to specifically deal with other kinds of characters. And some characters are all but impossible to defeat even without strength, speed, durability, or any such thing playing any factor at all. For examples of this:
—Saigyouji Yuyuko of Touhou (which is a video game series, despite how many people get this wrong) can instantly induce death in any mortal being. Seriously. Her power is the ability to kill any living thing, simply by willing it. Well, not actually. That's one way she can use her power, which is literally "manipulation of death".
Touhou has an interesting trend, in that just about every single character has a power that is described in one line/phrase, and that this is true of their power in every possible sense. Yakumo Yukari, for example, has "manipulation of boundaries", which she for the most part uses to move between dimensions and open portals to anywhere (in one notorious instance, she opens a portal and sends a moving train into her opponent). However, this extends to all kinds of boundaries, making her virtually omnipotent — some examples: she is able to move the horizon, and at one point interferes with the 'boundary between Truth and Lies' to make a lie become the truth. It is also known she can freely manipulate the 'boundary' between life and death. So her strength has very little to do with the fact that she cannot be defeated by virtually anyone.
—Next, the Witch of Miracles, Bernkastel of Umineko no Naku Koro ni (before anyone gets this wrong either, Umineko is a visual/sound novel series, which are video games — there is an anime and manga, but those are adaptations). Her title originates from from her power, which is the ability to cause any event/course of events to happen provided it is possible; she can cause anything with a chance of happening greater than 0% to happen. Anything at all. Though a powerful fighter in her own right, this alone makes her virtually omnipotent. In a similar vein as Bernkastel, we have Lambadelta, the which of Certainty, who can raise the probability of an event occurring up to 100%.
And how about the Witch of Theatergoing, Drama, and Spectating — Featherine Augustus Aurora? Her power is almost literal omnipotence, if not exactly that — she can rewrite reality in any way she pleases, at one point "editing the script" to instantly defeat
Lambdadelta
without exerting any effort whatsoever. Then there's Inquisitor of Heresy Dlanor A. Knox, who wields the "Red Key" — a sword/blade which attacks not physically nor mentally, but conceptually; it denies the existence of its target, and can only be guarded against by other conceptual weapons (which, just a guess, are probably very uncommon).

Crystanium

Smash Hero
As for 'stats' (not quite what they are, but that's what I'll call them for now), I think they can work as a general reference guide for examples of a character's accomplishments, but they're not so good for individual match-ups — particularly of the kind that rely on a character's abilities to specifically deal with other kinds of characters. And some characters are all but impossible to defeat even without strength, speed, durability, or any such thing playing any factor at all.
Well, I don't know about that, WiiWouldLikeTwoPlay. Stats, feats, accomplishments, whatever I think these are useful to show what a character is capable of doing and withstanding. I know you wish to demonstrate characters with omnipotent abilities to say, "Look, even with the character's feats, he/she is no match for a character who can will anything he/she pleases." I mentioned this in the OP about a character who may lack numerous feats, but is capable of stopping time. The next question would be if the character could harm his/her frozen opponent or remove him/her from the battlefield.

For examples of this:
—Saigyouji Yuyuko of Touhou (which is a video game series, despite how many people get this wrong) can instantly induce death in any mortal being. Seriously. Her power is the ability to kill any living thing, simply by willing it. Well, not actually. That's one way she can use her power, which is literally "manipulation of death".
Touhou has an interesting trend, in that just about every single character has a power that is described in one line/phrase, and that this is true of their power in every possible sense. Yakumo Yukari, for example, has "manipulation of boundaries", which she for the most part uses to move between dimensions and open portals to anywhere (in one notorious instance, she opens a portal and sends a moving train into her opponent). However, this extends to all kinds of boundaries, making her virtually omnipotent — some examples: she is able to move the horizon, and at one point interferes with the 'boundary between Truth and Lies' to make a lie become the truth. It is also known she can freely manipulate the 'boundary' between life and death. So her strength has very little to do with the fact that she cannot be defeated by virtually anyone.
—Next, the Witch of Miracles, Bernkastel of Umineko no Naku Koro ni (before anyone gets this wrong either, Umineko is a visual/sound novel series, which are video games — there is an anime and manga, but those are adaptations). Her title originates from from her power, which is the ability to cause any event/course of events to happen provided it is possible; she can cause anything with a chance of happening greater than 0% to happen. Anything at all. Though a powerful fighter in her own right, this alone makes her virtually omnipotent. In a similar vein as Bernkastel, we have Lambadelta, the which of Certainty, who can raise the probability of an event occurring up to 100%.
And how about the Witch of Theatergoing, Drama, and Spectating — Featherine Augustus Aurora? Her power is almost literal omnipotence, if not exactly that — she can rewrite reality in any way she pleases, at one point "editing the script" to instantly defeat
Lambdadelta
without exerting any effort whatsoever. Then there's Inquisitor of Heresy Dlanor A. Knox, who wields the "Red Key" — a sword/blade which attacks not physically nor mentally, but conceptually; it denies the existence of its target, and can only be guarded against by other conceptual weapons (which, just a guess, are probably very uncommon).
I see. I think that if I am going to have one character battling another, that character with an unfair advantage will not battle against a character who will quite easily remove his/her opponent. For example, someone mentioned Giygas. If he cannot die or be injured, then who do I have him face? I may as well have him in a battle that involves something else like methods to taking control of the world or whatever and see who has the better methods.

Also, I am open to 2 vs. 2 if anyone wishes to do that. ;)

And thanks for mentioning the vagueness of the definitions, WiiWouldLikeTwoPlay. I'll try to see what I can do with the definition to expand it. If you have any suggestions, please tell me.

CaptainFalcon9000

Smash Ace
Well, I don't know about that, WiiWouldLikeTwoPlay. Stats, feats, accomplishments, whatever I think these are useful to show what a character is capable of doing and withstanding. I know you wish to demonstrate characters with omnipotent abilities to say, "Look, even with the character's feats, he/she is no match for a character who can will anything he/she pleases." I mentioned this in the OP about a character who may lack numerous feats, but is capable of stopping time. The next question would be if the character could harm his/her frozen opponent or remove him/her from the battlefield.

I see. I think that if I am going to have one character battling another, that character with an unfair advantage will not battle against a character who will quite easily remove his/her opponent. For example, someone mentioned Giygas. If he cannot die or be injured, then who do I have him face? I may as well have him in a battle that involves something else like methods to taking control of the world or whatever and see who has the better methods.

Also, I am open to 2 vs. 2 if anyone wishes to do that. ;)

And thanks for mentioning the vagueness of the definitions, WiiWouldLikeTwoPlay. I'll try to see what I can do with the definition to expand it. If you have any suggestions, please tell me.
holy sh*t you´re going to compare all the videogame characters in existence?!?! thats....insane

Top Bottom