• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Cancelled* 7/26 Tournament in OC

DaBox

Smash Cadet
can we show up without telling you we will be there?
Absolutely not. I will not let you in my house if you show up and are not on my list. I cannot stress this enough.

No TVs will be dedicated to friendlies. This tournament will be all business, except for the hour or two before it begins. After it ends, people need to gtfo or else my lady will be quite mad. After the final singles match-> winners get paid, everyone goes home.

DaBox

Smash Cadet
If you've ever had a house party, you know that keeping things manageable is key. When the 28 year old friends of friends show up with 30 packs, **** goes downhill. I just need everything to go smoothly, then make it bigger and better as weeks pass.

Just looking out for #1

SENG

Smash Journeyman
this is jus a friendly input, but like even if u didnt hab the cap i really dont think ur gonna get tat many people since alot of ppl are going to shuffle. I jus think ur being like idk way too over the top when u say u wont let ppl in unless they are not on your list thing and people also go to tournies to play friendlies too but ur saying tats not gonna happen. im sure some ppl can bring some tvs to make things go faster so ppl can actually play and hab a good time.

DaBox

Smash Cadet
this is jus a friendly input, but like even if u didnt hab the cap i really dont think ur gonna get tat many people since alot of ppl are going to shuffle. I jus think ur being like idk way too over the top when u say u wont let ppl in unless they are not on your list thing and people also go to tournies to play friendlies too but ur saying tats not gonna happen. im sure some ppl can bring some tvs to make things go faster so ppl can actually play and hab a good time.
I appreciate the input. I guess Im being overly cautious, since before I've been in a situation where a lot of people I didnt know were in my house, and decided they wanted to see a police officer help them out.

If anyone wants to set up tv+ wii, Im all for it. I onyl have 2 sets, so I cant allocate one of them for friendlies, as I believe the tourny would drag. As far as extending the list, I can't imagine a few more wont hurt, but If I dont keep tabs I could easily have 40 people show up. My bud has tournaments not far from here and nets 50 people without any notice.

All in all, I want to protect myself and my property, not have a crappy experience like San Diego, and meet some people who enjoy competition. I dont want to come off all uptight, but if anything goes wrong, I foot the bill, not you guys. :urg:

Race

Smash Lord
This is a tourney not a house party, so the way you look at it has to be diffrent. If you're not gonna have any friendlies during or afterwards and wanna keep it straight tourney that's up to you. But I dont think ppl will be very entertained watching ppl play and just sitting there waiting their match to be called., Only to be kicked out immediatly afterwards. People would want to go out, or do something else and yeah keeping track of people is key, this is a tourney and if you just want a nice quiet group of ppl to play in a tourney match you might as well just all it a smashfest. The reason a lot of smashers go to tourney is to have fun play friendlies and hang out, looks like you're gonna take a way one of the biggest factors.

I dunno this is just my opinion, it's your tourney. But in my experaince as a host, you need to look out for the people you are hosting rather then #1, cause no one is gonna go to a boring tourney. You make the tourney very unappealing by saying "No friendlies at all" and "After it ends, people need to gtfo" If you're gonna be a host, be a host.

SENG

Smash Journeyman
Well ive never seen a time where ppl got that crazy at tournament. ur situation seems like a party or something. yea i understand u dont want ur stuff like in jeapordy. i havent been around in smash for that long but i can say tat like almost like everyone is totally kool and not shady man. But it wouldnt hurt to like keep ur valuables in a safe place. But yea my advice would b to jus lift the restriction and ask for set ups =D. But its up to u since its ur place and such.

DaBox

Smash Cadet
This is a tourney not a house party, so the way you look at it has to be diffrent. If you're not gonna have any friendlies during or afterwards and wanna keep it straight tourney that's up to you. But I dont think ppl will be very entertained watching ppl play and just sitting there waiting their match to be called., Only to be kicked out immediatly afterwards. People would want to go out, or do something else and yeah keeping track of people is key, this is a tourney and if you just want a nice quiet group of ppl to play in a tourney match you might as well just all it a smashfest. The reason a lot of smashers go to tourney is to have fun play friendlies and hang out, looks like you're gonna take a way one of the biggest factors.

I dunno this is just my opinion, it's your tourney. But in my experaince as a host, you need to look out for the people you are hosting rather then #1, cause no one is gonna go to a boring tourney. You make the tourney very unappealing by saying "No friendlies at all" and "After it ends, people need to gtfo" If you're gonna be a host, be a host.
Youre exactly right. I maybe mispoke a bit. I do want people to have fun. Friendlies being played makes a lot mroe sense than doods sitting around being bored. I would need people to bring one or two more tvs for friendlies.

And naturally Im not going to boot everyone out immediately, but rather I would prefer people to be along their way, lest I incur the wrath of fiancee and neighbors. I want everyone to enjoy themselves and come back. Thats the idea here.

Piing

Smash Rookie
I might bring one person so I can have a partner at the doubles tournament. He might stay for singles too.

DaBox

Smash Cadet
Id like to get doubles done first. I imagine with both singles and doubles, a few hours long can be expected. You are all welcome to bring partners.

Also, I need someone to bring another TV for friendlies. This is mainly so you guys wont get too bored sitting around waiting to play, as there isnt much else to do.

-One las thing, please post up who your partner is going to be for doubles so i can get a good idea of what kind of doubles we are looking at.

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
Just barely saw the post and I'd love to attend—I'm so happy to find a tournament close to home ...

Anyway, sign me up for sure (even if it's just as an alternate, I'll come and have fun smashin'!) and it's VERY likely that my friend will come, too, but I won't hear back from him for another 2 hours or so.

Also, I can easily bring a TV (27" non-wide), a Wii and Smash if needed. Even if not needed, I may just bring it anyway for friendlies. :)

SENG

Smash Journeyman
no he will win doubles there then find out which place has more singles then go to wherever =D

DaBox

Smash Cadet
My friend (doubles partner) got pulled away by a prior engagement. everyone on page 5 who wants in can come.

DaBox

Smash Cadet
I'll come with Ajax and Haze since its close by =) also.. is the cap really 20 people?
My living room is only so large. My condo works like a downstairs which is jsut a living room, and then the upstairs with everything else. It can comfortably hold 20, then it gets squished from that up.

BTW I need a wii and extra tv for friendlies, or one big game of grab *** will ensue.

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
BTW I need a wii and extra tv for friendlies, or one big game of grab *** will ensue.
As I mentioned earlier, I can easily bring a TV/Wii/Smash combo. :)

It looks like my friend is working on Saturday (he's bummed about it) but I sent word out to another player I know in the area ... I'll tell you if I hear back from him.

vip0911

Smash Cadet
Unfortunately I have to be somewhere else tomorrow at around 12 so I can't make it. You can put someone else in my spot if you want Box.

DaBox

Smash Cadet
^gotcha thanks for the heads up. Tomorrow is friday but I assume you mean saturday.

vado, ya we are gonna need a firendly tv, so bring it along if u please.

DonTe

Smash Cadet
One of my friends who just came back from Hong Kong changed his plans - He wants to hang out Saturday instead of Sunday.
Sorry DaBox, but I cant make it. =/
Piing is friends with him too, so take him off the list too.

Sorry Connor, can you find your own ride to the tourny? -_-

Squi(Connor)rtle

Smash Apprentice
I'm not gonna bother getting a ride. I don't even wanna go to this tournament anymore after today anyways.

Piing

Smash Rookie
Bleh, yeah sorry Dabox, you can take me and my friend off the list. I can't make it anymore. Gah, such a waste when your so close = /
Maybe next time

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
I might have two more interested—I'll know by tomorrow afternoon, around 2pm.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
connor can you buy me a race comboooooooooooooooooooooomasterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrr

DaBox

Smash Cadet
Bad news- I have to come into work on Saturday to help prepare a case for trail which didnt settle like it was supposed to. I apologize for the late notice, but there will be NO TOURNAMENT THIS WEEKEND.

Thanks for everyone who signed up beforehand, but unfortuneately this is something I cannot miss. I am sorry if I screwed up anyones weekend.

Top Bottom