• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada, BC, UBC Main Campus - SSB Melee Tournament - January 19th

-SinfuL-

Smash Rookie
Hey everybody,

UBC Competitive Video Gaming Association is proud to present...
The Overture

This video gaming tournament is the first CVGA tournament of '08 and involves two main games: Guilty Gear and Smash Bros. Melee

For thorough information and pre-registration, visit here.

To join the UBC CVGA forums, click here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Woodward Medical Library, Room 5 (link)

Time:
10:00am to 6:00pm

Entry Fees:
Members: $5
Non-members: $10

Part of proceeds will go to UNICEF.

Rules and Regulations:
Match format:
  • Double elimination, singles.
  • 2 matches per entry
  • 4 Stock
Time limit:
  • 8 minutes per match
Characters:
  • Any character.
  • Character switching is allowed if you have lost a match
Stages:
  • Final Destination
  • Classic Dreamland
  • Stage is deteremined by a coin flip.
Additional Rules:
  • No wobbling.
  • No infinite combos
  • No "cheap" tactics (check with an official for more information)
  • No stalling matches for more than 20 seconds.
  • Bug abuse will result in disqualificiation (Ice Climber/Mewtwo freezing glitch)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to ask questions here or on the CVGA tournament. Hope to see you all there!

OmgItsWill

Smash Cadet
Cool, I'll try to go if I can find my way or get a ride >_>

One question though; Do you have to be there at 10 or can you arrive later on at say.. 3 o'clock?

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
You want to go 5 hours later? Do you honestly thing people will wait 5 hours for someone to come in and then start the tournament? >_>;;

Anyway, what is "cheap" tactics supposed to mean? Weird that a competitive gaming club uses the word cheap to ban something. Could we get an official here?

OmgItsWill

Smash Cadet
You want to go 5 hours later? Do you honestly thing people will wait 5 hours for someone to come in and then start the tournament? >_>;;

Anyway, what is "cheap" tactics supposed to mean? Weird that a competitive gaming club uses the word cheap to ban something. Could we get an official here?
I'm just using 3 o'clock as an example >_>

I have work on that day and I might be an hour or an hour and a half late so I was just checking if I could still go >_>

-SinfuL-

Smash Rookie
In response to the 'late' thing:
- You can show up anywhere from 11-11:30 if you're late. That's only because we'll be starting the tournaments at around 11 due to the first hour mostly dealing with registration and proper set up. Any later than that and I can't guarantee anything.

In response to 'cheapness':
- Sorry, I didn't write the post myself (I copy & pasted directly from the forums; the other executives took care of that), but what we really mean by 'cheap':
  • Stalling the game to win it (i.e. running circles around your enemy until time out.)
  • Exposing game glitches to your advantage.
  • Deliberately crashing the game if you're about to lose.
  • Dumb stuff like that.

In general, at an actual tournaments, we expect people to use their common sense. If people consider you to be cheating/cheap, but not in the 'I'm calling you cheap cause you're better than me' sense, then don't do it.

Anyways, I'd like to note that we're a new club at UBC that runs tournament regularly across the school year (and hopefully summer if we have the funds). This year is our 'test' run, so feel free to offer criticism during the tournament; also, we'd appreciate it if you spread the word about us =)

unityole

Smash Lord
SSB64 rules :O

these smashers from smashboard will totally own
unless they are upagainst one of their own people :ohwell:

SmashNewb

Smash Rookie
the first half hour or so is probably gonna be friendlies or warmup or something
as for the rules, they can be clarified at the tourny place, i dont think there is any cheapness that qualifies as disqualifiable, just no wobbling and abuse of glitches (unless you can pull off ness's jacket glitch lol)

i know gary and tiep are going (ppl from smashboards) and i think troy and jdzl are going too

o yea btw, i go to ubc, so i know the rules are flexible, and don't worry, shinespike, edgehogging, "sheik":laugh: are all legit

basically wobbling to stall is banned
# The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned
# Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned
# Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned (example: FoD)
(btw, this ripped off SBR rule list -__-) but these are the things that are "cheap"

-SinfuL-

Smash Rookie
the first half hour or so is probably gonna be friendlies or warmup or something
as for the rules, they can be clarified at the tourny place, i dont think there is any cheapness that qualifies as disqualifiable, just no wobbling and abuse of glitches (unless you can pull off ness's jacket glitch lol)

i know gary and tiep are going (ppl from smashboards) and i think troy and jdzl are going too

o yea btw, i go to ubc, so i know the rules are flexible, and don't worry, shinespike, edgehogging, "sheik":laugh: are all legit

basically wobbling to stall is banned
# The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned
# Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned
# Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned (example: FoD)
(btw, this ripped off SBR rule list -__-) but these are the things that are "cheap"
Thanks for clearing that up. =) I'm not much of a Smash player myself; I only organize these things >_>

dieslow

Smash Ace
how many people do u expect to show?

anyone know which skytrain station to get off at and which bus to take from there?

SmashNewb

Smash Rookie

anyone know which skytrain station to get off at and which bus to take from there?
I would expect at least 10-16 ppl (not really sure) to show since im going with 3 of my friends which are not that good
troy goes to ubc so he should be going
gary lives at ubc so hes going
tiep is going
jdzl lives at ubc too i think
im guessing some random ppl would show up too like "OmgItsWill"

I don't know where you live so I wouldn't know which bus to take but UBC is the last stop for a lot of buses, for me I take the 41st or 43rd bus from vancouver near johns house all the way there..

-SinfuL-

Smash Rookie

Skytrain Station:
Either Broadway (expo line) or VCC-Clark (millenium)

Bus:
If you get off at Broadway, the 99 B-line; get off at the last stop.
If you get off at VCC-Clark, the 84, get off at the last stop.

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
well... fun tourney.. however very small...XD

1st ME
2nd Gary
3rd Tiep

(we decided on doing low tier for this tournament the 3 of usXD)

Good games to people i have met and have never met before...

Teams was fun:chuckle:

Top Bottom