• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can Zsamus be considered an appropriate answer to Marth.

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
Now I am not here to knock Marth, however no one can deny his certain "advantages" or perks in battle. I choose not to play with him because I just dont like them. Specifically speaking, the disjointed hit box of his sword proves to be a reliable "perk" for him which may make it troublesome for other characters who fight in close proximity. With Zsamus, I can see her whip being an appropriate tool for spacing.So for close combat, is Zss an appropriate answer for Marths sword?

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
Not really. Her whip moves have a good chunk of lag afterwards and they have ****ty priority. Her Forward B is a nice spacing tools but Zsamus's most reliable moves (dtilt, upsmash/upB ,dashattack) gets ***** by marth's sword-dance alone (that ****s broken). Her blaster has a good charge up time and can easily be dodged so you can't camp with them. Your two best K.O. moves (bair, forward B) is incredibly hard to land on marth due to his range.

The only good thing you have on Marth is the range grab->upsmash/upair but its easy to grounddodge Zsamus's grab, so you'll end up getting ***** anyways.

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
Wow... When you put it that way you make it sound like she's F**ked

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
She kinda is. Thats how good Marth "still" is. The only major nerf he got was his grab range.

When I fight a Marth, I counterpick with Lucas and camp with PK fires. Zsamus has no camping ability.

DancingZombies

Smash Rookie
Really, only time will tell. Zamus has the potential, but it looks pretty sketchy. We'll have to test it out.

magnomanX

Smash Cadet
It's not like Marth was unbeatable in melee. It'll be the same with brawl.

You guys sound like "OMG disjoint hitbox too OP OMG"

Just play Marth then, if that's how you think. I'll play ZSS and pwn without hesitation. Powershielding is going to do WONDERS against Marth, trust me.

Eten

Smash Ace
I really like Zsamus, but I don't see Zsamus being a counterpick or anything. Marth still has quick attacks w/ a disjointed hitbox.

Ken34

Smash Journeyman
Marth easily has the advantage over ZSS, anyone who argues otherwise hasnt played a good marth yet...seriously, yes ZSS has range over marth, but marth is so dam fast, u miss time one whip and marth will be all over that ***, no joke. its actually a scary match up IMO, one tipper kills me at less than 90% sometimes, while i always have to rack damage up on marth, the lowest ive killed marth before was 90%, and that was off of a kick from her down B. Truthfully marth would have been soooooo much easier to face if they didnt buff his dancing blades(forward b combo), it is so annoying to get around, and its bad enough ZSS has low priority. but even with all of this, I would say ZSS can still win, it isnt really hard like samus vs sheik in melee, its just somewhat hard.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
When you're fighting a Marth. ALWAYS use a character with a good projectile.
Or you're usually ****ed.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Nah, Samus sucks now, I'm not gonna main her now, I'll stick to Zamus.
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that you haven't played the game, because just about everyone who has, and has spent time with Samus has disagreed with you since the discovery of zair. That move alone improves Samus' game amazingly.

Zone

Smash Champion
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that you haven't played the game, because just about everyone who has, and has spent time with Samus has disagreed with you since the discovery of zair. That move alone improves Samus' game amazingly.
Question, Z-air?

Her aerial whip recovery thing? >.>

Wararchon

Smash Cadet
Yeah, but z-air is good for samus, but zamus, even with her whip, cannot compete with marth.
However, seeing as the US version hasn't been released yet, it can't be said that zamus won't be good against marth. The few who have played the japanese version and the vids on youtube does prove that marth is one of the best, if not the best, characters in brawl. The downside of that is the fact that it's the japanese version, not the U.S. verison, so things might change.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Yeah, but z-air is good for samus, but zamus, even with her whip, cannot compete with marth.
However, seeing as the US version hasn't been released yet, it can't be said that zamus won't be good against marth. The few who have played the japanese version and the vids on youtube does prove that marth is one of the best, if not the best, characters in brawl. The downside of that is the fact that it's the japanese version, not the U.S. verison, so things might change.
What is the difference what version we're playing? There will be at most possibly a few fixed glitches, but that should be it.

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
Sad to know that they would bring Marth back with the same nonsense as before. Actually thats why I dont like playing with him

Eten

Smash Ace
Marth actually did get nerfed a decent bit. His sword is a lot shorter, which is the most noticable difference, but his KO moves don't kill in the same range anymore even after you take into consideration the difference across the board. Just for proof, tippered fsmash now KOs at ~90% when before you could KO someone at ~40% or even 32% in melee with it. Also he made extensive use of the wavedash before for spacing and without that option he becomes less flexible a little bit more so than some other characters. He also recieved a pretty clear nerf to his grab range. He's still fast and he still has that disjointed hitbox on his sword, defining characteristics that still make him excellent, but not to the lame degree it was before.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
It's nothing like 90-10 favor in Marth though. Since many people have experience spacing against Marth, you can usually beat him as long as you space and camp right (with Forward B).

Its like 70-30 in favor of Marth. But of course, things might and most likely will change in half a year (for the better I hope)

And I can't wait to beat up some Marth in Brawl.

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
Marth actually did get nerfed a decent bit. His sword is a lot shorter, which is the most noticable difference, but his KO moves don't kill in the same range anymore even after you take into consideration the difference across the board. Just for proof, tippered fsmash now KOs at ~90% when before you could KO someone at ~40% or even 32% in melee with it. Also he made extensive use of the wavedash before for spacing and without that option he becomes less flexible a little bit more so than some other characters. He also recieved a pretty clear nerf to his grab range. He's still fast and he still has that disjointed hitbox on his sword, defining characteristics that still make him excellent, but not to the lame degree it was before.
I'm glad you made that comparison because even though Marth ko's at 90% the majority of players still KO at higher percentages. So this still gives him that advantage because the ratio is probably the same. SUCKY:(

The Alpha Gundam

Smash Champion
It's nothing like 90-10 favor in Marth though. Since many people have experience spacing against Marth, you can usually beat him as long as you space and camp right (with Forward B).

Its like 70-30 in favor of Marth. But of course, things might and most likely will change in half a year (for the better I hope)

And I can't wait to beat up some Marth in Brawl.

70-30 Marth favor O_o. Thats like the ratio for Sheik on Ganon in Melee o_O
I got to play ZSS vs Marth and i dont think its that bad.

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
I don't know the ratio of Marth to ZSS. but ZSS and Samus will be quite a threat to Marth, In fact, alot of characters will be a threat to Marth. i think PIT can match him quite evenly.

Marth reign of domination in smash brother is probably over, but hes a good character to use nevertheless.

Hark21Ball

Smash Cadet
Its all about tactics. We have to wait and see what Samus or ZSS can fully do and then start planning on taking Marth down. ZSS looks to be really good but everyone has different methods of playing maybe we will see someone who has a great marth strategy and same with the other characters.

Top Bottom