• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can you people rate my art?

Jen =3

Smash Cadet
Here is just a sample if you don't mind telling me what you like and dislike :3

Self Portrait

It took me a long time to do this, in #2 pencil, with accents using a black colored pencil (Crayola) :)

What do you think?

Chaco

Never Logs In
I'm seriously not believing you did that in #2 pencil and a Crayola colored pencil. I don't want to say that there is no way, but I do not see the effects being that good with them. If you did, wow. But I do not see how you did many things with that limited of options. There are some things that they alone cannot do. And in my opinion this is one of them.

But wow, kudos on this and what you used. Literally insane.

Jen =3

Smash Cadet
I'm seriously not believing you did that in #2 pencil and a Crayola colored pencil. I don't want to say that there is no way, but I do not see the effects being that good with them. If you did, wow. But I do not see how you did many things with that limited of options. There are some things that they alone cannot do. And in my opinion this is one of them.

Ok, I didnt want to sound all artsy fartsy, but here is what I did.

1. I used an H-B pencil to start (hard light, easy to erase)
2. Then I used #2 to make some different outlines and things.
3. Then I used whats called an Ebony pencil, (soft darker lead.)
4. Finally I used a blending stick made of newspaper to blend some things in.

Free hand (with grid of course).

...Jesus Christ that's fantastic...

What grade are you in?
11th. I'm a Junior :)

Chaco

Never Logs In
Thought so, I can usually tell what has been used. (Also, I know my art supplies very well, no need to elaborate)

I still think the hair looks like white compressed charcoal though.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
My question is did you smudge the pencil? It's hard to see like this, but if I had it in my hand, I could tell. Not that there's a problem with it. Just my instructor sorta knocked it into my head not to do that.

Also, I remember doing the grid thing back in 9~11th grade. It makes that self portrait, or any photograph a breeze to copy.

Now that I'm reminded of it, I'm interested in doing one myself . . . Anyway, I been going on not really saying anything. It's good. I just wish I could give recommendations, but I'm not too well versed in realism with pencil. :(

Jen =3

Smash Cadet
My question is did you smudge the pencil? It's hard to see like this, but if I had it in my hand, I could tell. Not that there's a problem with it. Just my instructor sorta knocked it into my head not to do that.

Also, I remember doing the grid thing back in 9~11th grade. It makes that self portrait, or any photograph a breeze to copy.

Now that I'm reminded of it, I'm interested in doing one myself . . . Anyway, I been going on not really saying anything. It's good. I just wish I could give recommendations, but I'm not too well versed in realism with pencil. :(
It was light shading and smudge :p

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
the eye liner on the left eye is a bit too bold if the whole picture itself is rather soft, on top of which, you have eyeliner on one eye, but not the other. Magnifying glass isn't the most circular for some reason.

Jen =3

Smash Cadet
the eye liner on the left eye is a bit too bold if the whole picture itself is rather soft, on top of which, you have eyeliner on one eye, but not the other. Magnifying glass isn't the most circular for some reason.

Cant really go back :/

global-wolf

Smash Champion
I have nothing to do, so here goes...

First of all, interesting idea. It's just... nice. I'm not quite sure why I like the pose, but I do :D

There is almost no contrast in the shading however. The entire face is nearly the same shade of gray, making it look as if you had cut out a shape in gray paper and pasted it onto the sheet. The edges of shapes, for example where the jaw meets the neck, are a perfect transition from one shade to another. In reality light bounces off curved areas, creating a slight highlight around the edge, or sometimes a shadow. The shading on the hand/sleeve is very nice, though the thick lines around the fingers are unnecessary.

I like the texture of the hair right above the magnifying glass, but the hair to the right, left, and above of that patch is very rough and un-hair-like. The dark spot at the top of the head is seems to be the result of you trying to show that it is darker than the rest of the hair (well duh,) but it is overdone, especially with the low contrast in the rest of the piece.

The eyes are incredibly shiny. It's a nice effect in cartoons, but in here it makes the eyes look glassy and fake. The right eye seems to be missing some eyelashes, and The eyelashes in the left eye are pointing in unnatural directions. If you look at your own eyes in the mirror, you can see that they're a lot thinner and there's more of them. I think it's already been mentioned, but the left eye has tons more eyeliner than the right. I'm guessing you meant for it to be that way?

The right eyebrow is very easy to miss. Again with the contrast. There is something above the left eye that I don't recognize.

The magnifying glass has no shading whatsoever. It looks... kinda weird.

It would be helpful if you had included a reference photo, because as it is now I can't tell you anything specific about the shapes themselves. But you're probably already tired of reading my post, lol.

Basically, don't be afraid to press down hard on the shadows. Shade exactly what you see, even if it seems that it would look weird. It won't in the end.

Keep on drawing and improving! <3

May I ask what you consider to be a long time?

Crayola isn't that terrible, lol. You want crap, use Roseart.

em0cand3h

Smash Rookie
I absolutely love the hair~ :]

Did you use a photo reference from this? (I can't see how else you can look at this and draw at the same time but oh well. ^^; ) I think the lips are a bit thin and not dark enough since they blend in with the skin tone. The pose is pretty good but watch the chin; it looks sharp and not curved enough. Just my opinion, but overall it's pretty good. :3

Well done~

Evoke

Smash Apprentice
Hair is solid, magnifying glass awesome, the only thing is the other eye, it looks way too darkly outlines.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Wow I reported that post and the problem REALLY wasn't solved.

**** SWF staffs, what R u Doin?

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Well, don't worry about it.

Looks like the staff finally deleted that post.

Top Bottom