• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can you name all the characters who have a positive matchup against Rosalina & Luma?

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
Hi, I am a player who mains two characters: Captain Falcon and Charizard. Between my two mains, I feel that there are only two characters in the roster who I consistently find myself at a disadvantage against, one of whom being Rosalina & Luma. So I'd like all skilled Rosalina & Luma players on this board to name all the characters they find themselves at a disadvantage against, as I need to pick up a character that does well against Rosalina & Luma. Please note that I only want replies from those who are having trouble against certain characters despite the fact that they consider themselves to be good Rosalina & Luma players and know the matchups against the characters they're naming well, not just those who are having trouble against certain characters just because they don't know the matchups well.

Also, would the Rosalina & Luma players on this board agree with me that Rosalina & Luma has an advantage against both Captain Falcon and Charizard?

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
For what it's worth, I prefer going Charizard against other Rosalinas rather than play them in the ditto. A lot of it is guaranteeing I'll know the matchup better than them, but he's definitely not hugely at a disadvantage ( Captain falcon totally is though, I'd avoid that one ). As for counterpick characters, the boards have agreed that Yoshi is definitely a rough one, so if you're insistent on picking up a third character, I'd go with him.

{ If you want to play some constructive Charizard / Rosalina matches, send me a PM, I'll make time. ^^ }

~Frozen~

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frozen491
3DS FC
3909-8017-8600
Oddly enough I've heard from some Falcons like Max Ketchum that he actually does just fine vs Rosa. So I think you may just need to adjust to the matchup more.

I'd say the most debated characters that could potentially go + against Rosa are Sheik, Diddy, and Yoshi. Pikachu and Mii Brawler might also be pretty tough (especially if Brawler has Piston Punch) but I have little to no experience against them.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Based on the info that I've gathered, Yoshi has an advantage over Rosalina, and it seems that Diddy does too. I'm not sure about Sheik though, but we'll eventually analyze Rosalina's match-up against her.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
pre patch rosa definitely had the MU in her favor vs sheik.
the #1 reason i'd say this shift happened was because rosa lost the ability to control luma mid hitstun.

now im pretty sure sheik's meta is advancing quicker than rosa's is.

as of now i'd say the main rushdowns have an advantage vs rosalina, sonic, sheik, diddy, yoshi, zss. their speed allows them to control the flow of the match overwhelmingly. rosa has no frame -2 nair to pop out to end strings and she's floaty as all get out and dies easy. bad combination. yoshi is probably the hardest counter, he's the harder character to combo for rosalina next to like jigglypuff. he's floaty but he's also heavy. im pretty sure yoshi's also the only character uthrow to uair isn't guaranteed at any percent. diddy might be a close contender.

falcon is one of the most played characters in FG so any rosa who has played online knows that MU pretty well, even if it's against mostly bad falcons. he's just so easy to edgeguard.

this might change in the long run. i still believe rosalina has the most potential.

i struggle with good heavy char fighters, mostly due to unfamiliarity with the MUs. it's just so easy to want to play it safe vs a fatty but one mistake leads to rosa possibly getting destroyed.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
There is no character I feel has a distinct advantage against her, but that's not to say I think she has a distinct advantage against every character on the roster.

kk1127

Smash Cadet
NNID
kogami123
id say sheik diddy or captain falcon, but still the matchup is pretty even. but i do hate rosalina dittos with a passion

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Falcon has an advantage over Rosalina only if she's isolated from Luma; we're looking at a 40/60~30/70 MU in all other circumstances. This is because Luma makes it hard to actually get in and do damage to Rosie, and a Falcon who cannot get in is a sitting duck.

Last edited:

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
Oddly enough I've heard from some Falcons like Max Ketchum that he actually does just fine vs Rosa. So I think you may just need to adjust to the matchup more.
I played Max Ketchum' Falcon on his stream the other day. He beat me 2 out of 3 games... but I was in control of the match every single game. The reason he won was because he Dair spiked me 3 times in the 2 games I lost, at low %s, and I died each time. The lesson I learned: if there's a chance Falcon is able to spike you, for goodness sake, recover high. Other than that the match up didn't give me all that much trouble.

I feel like Rosa has an advantage over Falcon for sure. Rosa can really control space against Falcon, despite his speed. And she gimp Falcon super easily.

As I've said in other threads, I think Yoshi is her worst match up. As icraq said, Diddy, Sheik, ZSS, and Sonic are probably the next best bets against her. I for one think that Yoshi, Diddy, and Sheik are her only truly negative match ups though.

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
I regularly play very good national level players and have difficulties in the following MUs (ranked highest difficulty to lowest):

- Yoshi
- Sheik
- Captain Falcon
- Diddy
- Sonic

I personally believe that Captain Falcon is an even if not positive match up against RosaLuma at a high level play. As others have mentioned, Rosa easily controls Falcon with Luma and has the potential to gimp him off stage but high level Falcons know how to maneuver his UpB to advoid most gimps and the most important part that makes that MU bad is Falcon's extremely high base knock back attacks have a really easy time knocking Luma away, off stage, and to her death. Once Luma is gone, the MU is easily in Falcon's favor and he has the speed to take advantage of it.

Trust me in that I play very high level Falcons and they make that MU one of my least favorite in the game. They know how to use Jab and Dash Attack to constantly keep Luma dead and the pressure they apply using their speed is insane not to mention the kill power and weight Falcon supports. Stay with Falcon and just learn the MU. Treat Luma like a wall that you need to break, break it, then destroy Rosalina.

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman

I'd say the most debated characters that could potentially go + against Rosa are Sheik, Diddy, and Yoshi. Pikachu and Mii Brawler might also be pretty tough (especially if Brawler has Piston Punch) but I have little to no experience against them.
I agree. Falcon is by far my personal worst match-up. Sheik is also pretty bad, and Diddy takes a ton of practice.

kk1127

Smash Cadet
NNID
kogami123
My hardest matchups are Diddy and Yoshi but some Falcons give me trouble as well. I'd say Rosalina has the biggest advantage over large/slow characters like Charizard, Ganon, Bowser, etc.

I will say however that it is pretty easy for Rosalina to get dair gimps off of Falcon if you continuously go for low recoveries. Just mix up your high and low recoveries.

Last edited:

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
My hardest matchups are Diddy and Yoshi but some Falcons give me trouble as well. I'd say Rosalina has the biggest advantage over large/slow characters like Charizard, Ganon, Bowser, etc.

I will say however that it is pretty easy for Rosalina to get dair gimps off of Falcon if you continuously go for low recoveries. Just mix up your high and low recoveries.
The only problem I've found is how good Falcons get at Down-air edgeguarding. Also, it may just be me, but I have a strong suspicion that the up-B they have has a magnet, and a pretty large one. I've seen a lot of Falcons go for the early Up-B on the counterread that I'd guess a second jump, and a successful one means they get another Up-B. I agree with mixing it up, but they have pretty safe and consistent options as well. Up-Air juggling is the most consistent way to beat them that I've found.

Saltix

Smash Lord
Captain Falcon and Yoshi players convinced me to pick up a secondary. Pretty much everything Micaelis said is spot on.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I feel like Rosalina can win in every match-up in the game. Luma has top tier footsies, and even if you lose it, you don't get hit for it. I'm not really ready to say any character at all counters her, but most match-ups against other good characters seem competitive. She's really complex though so you have to learn a ton of stuff to play each match-up. I don't think I can pick out negative match-ups for her right now; I might have a better idea in 6 months?

I also disagree that her best match-ups are versus heavies. Heavies have many advantages against Rosalina; Luma can generally poorly protect itself from their moves that kill it so fast, and since Rosalina is primarily playing a zoning with normals game, their ability to practically kill off pokes and punish stuff with large grab range are both huge assets. With your main Charizard, I've run this match-up a few times not to my favor against Steeler, a pretty strong Charizard from Wichita. I think Rosalina can win it for sure and I need to just do better (feels evenish to me), but here are the issues. Flamethrower is an amazing slow paced neutral tool, and slow paced neutral is where Rosalina is strongest. Even if she blocks, you're hitting the Luma which is a kinda real problem for her; rely on this a lot to force her to step things up which is forcing her out of her comfort zone. If you get into a footsies war with Rosalina herself a bit closer, your jab is faster than hers and does more damage; any Charizard of course should be inclined to jab a lot since he has such an incredible jab, but this match-up especially highlights it (if Luma is synched, your jab will generally lose: beware!). If Rosalina's strategy is to jump at you, a very bad strat, Rock Smash it; she cannot outspace it, you armor her aerials, and it's all bad for her from there. If she comes from a more vertical direction, usmash beats everything and even if you don't have much time utilt does the same thing. Rosalina is going to be chipping away at you with clever footsies stuff especially when she has both characters in full swing on you; you as Charizard need to find opportunities to safely wear down Luma or catch Rosalina in a footsies battle with Luma either dead or too far away to help. Juggling Rosalina is effective for many characters due to her physics and Charizard does have a decent uair, but it's tricky with his limited mobility and her generally strong dair; I advise going for it some but being prudent and knowing your limits on it. Charging into ambiguous situations where either character can do stuff is probably going to end badly; definitely avoid that. Also, try to limit how much you jump at her either when she's on the ground or in air to air; she has all kinds of ways to deal with that though if you have really tight spacing you might be able to bair Luma to an early grave with relative safety. If customs are on both Luma Warp and Shooting Star Bit are hugely helpful to Rosalina in leveraging Luma to make your life hell, but Dragon Rush is also going to help you a lot in killing Luma and getting quick punishes on her as she tries to command Luma or retreat as she often needs to so I don't think it changes the match-up just makes it more exciting.

I know the Falcon match-up less well, from what I've played it feels more solidly in Rosalina's favor mostly because it's a lot harder for Falcon to kill (with Rosalina's physics, she's extremely hard to combo at kill percents, and Falcon is a lot easier to play safe against and extend stocks than Charizard if he's not getting kills in combo situations). I'm not going to pontificate on this match-up a whole lot since I haven't played nearly as strong of a Falcon as I've played a Charizard, but I'm just saying if you main Charizard match-up shouldn't be stopping you from beating a Rosalina at or below your own skill level.

TSmasher1000

Smash Rookie
I regularly play very good national level players and have difficulties in the following MUs (ranked highest difficulty to lowest):

- Yoshi
- Sheik
- Captain Falcon
- Diddy
- Sonic

I personally believe that Captain Falcon is an even if not positive match up against RosaLuma at a high level play. As others have mentioned, Rosa easily controls Falcon with Luma and has the potential to gimp him off stage but high level Falcons know how to maneuver his UpB to advoid most gimps and the most important part that makes that MU bad is Falcon's extremely high base knock back attacks have a really easy time knocking Luma away, off stage, and to her death. Once Luma is gone, the MU is easily in Falcon's favor and he has the speed to take advantage of it.

Trust me in that I play very high level Falcons and they make that MU one of my least favorite in the game. They know how to use Jab and Dash Attack to constantly keep Luma dead and the pressure they apply using their speed is insane not to mention the kill power and weight Falcon supports. Stay with Falcon and just learn the MU. Treat Luma like a wall that you need to break, break it, then destroy Rosalina.
Huh this is funny. It seems Diddy Kong players think the opposite. When I went to their boards to see who they thought had the best MU against Diddy, they thought Rosalina and Villager were 2 of the hardest MUs on them on average because Rosaluma had a chance to cancel grabs, autocancel peanuts and bananas with luma, and could outspace them. I've also talked to national level players and they say that Rosaluma might actually have a good MU against Sheik because she can outspace them with her aerials, and because Luma auto cancels the needles. She can try to juggle her, but you really have to get rid of luma first and it's kind of hard due to her floatiness, especially at kill percents where Sheik struggles the most. I would say the best MU against Rosaluma is Yoshi or maybe Sonic. Yoshi's eggs and followups can be frustrating to Rosaluma and Sonic can get rid of Luma quickly and almost easily. Tbh, I don't really think she has any significantly bad MUs except maybe Yoshi, and most of the MUs for her are pretty positive. In fact, I don't even have much trouble with Yoshi.

Last edited:
Top Bottom