• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can you Lucid Dream?

brod1986

Smash Apprentice
Hi,

For those of you who don't know lucid dreaming is being able to control your dreams. It puts you in what can only be described as a virtual world where you are god and can do anything. Make people do anything and even experience anything you want to.

I have tried to lucid dream but I've had no luck. I have herd about dangers of lucid dreming like being stuck in your dream not being able to tell the dream from the real world.

I was just wondering can anyone here control there dreams and what is it like?

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Kinda.

I nearly always have control over my dreams (always pleasent, and I can't remember the last time I had a nightmare), but it's a kind of... subconsious control. Whenever I do realize I have control over my dreams, I just spit fire and then wake up.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
Yes, I mostly control my dreams. It's not hard to do. When I want to dream about something, I just think about it and then the power of imagination breaks free. It IS extremely hard to describe what it's like though. And I've never heard about the dangers of lucid dreaming and I don't really believe in them, if you want my honest opinion.

When I'm having a fever or when I'm not so well, I start dreaming random gibberish.

Blackadder

Smash Master
First person to post a gateway to lucid dreaming that actually works will be given many of my revered internetz!

Then and only then will I be able to make both day AND night a time for many pleasures.
Ohho, I'm so subtle! ^^

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I taught myself to Lucid Dream in eighth grade. Since then, I've had erratic sleeping, sleep paralysis, and insomnia. No idea if they are linked, but they started at the same time. That said, it's not very hard to do. First, get a notebook and write down all your dreams for about 2 weeks to a month. EVERYTHING. Then, start to look at patterns in your dreams that signifies it's a dream. As you do this your recollection will improve. Then you'll start noticing lights do not work in dreams, neither do clocks, or mirrors, and all books are empty. Those are your triggers. From that point, just repeat to yourself: "Whatever happens next is a dream" After a while, it'll come quite easy.

Mewter

Smash Master
I've only been able to control my dreams acouple of times... but I haven't heard of any dangers....
I never try to do it, because it's useless. Basically, I can do it when I realize it's a dream.
But that is rare, because when you're dreaming, you usually can't tell it's a dream, but when you are awake, you KNOW it's a dream. So the dream kind of clouds your mind as to what makes sense. However, if you find that you ARE dreaming, then you tell yourself that you are dreaming, and you can control it. It takes a lot of concentration though, and it's hard to get a grasp on it. On the rare occasions that I can, I choose to have the powers of flight and teleporting. I don't want to learn though.

However, when I am having a fever, and I go to sleep, I dream dreams that are so repetitive that it makes me even MORE Headachey(not a word) so that would be a good time to break the repetition and dream a peaceful dream.

Kros

Smash Apprentice
I've been lucid dreaming since I was little. It's really cool once you get used to it.

Grandeza

Smash Master
I taught myself to Lucid Dream in eighth grade. Since then, I've had erratic sleeping, sleep paralysis, and insomnia. No idea if they are linked, but they started at the same time. That said, it's not very hard to do. First, get a notebook and write down all your dreams for about 2 weeks to a month. EVERYTHING. Then, start to look at patterns in your dreams that signifies it's a dream. As you do this your recollection will improve. Then you'll start noticing lights do not work in dreams, neither do clocks, or mirrors, and all books are empty. Those are your triggers. From that point, just repeat to yourself: "Whatever happens next is a dream" After a while, it'll come quite easy.
Thank you so much. I wanted to have dreams like this so badly.

Overload

Smash Lord
I haven't had a lucid dream in a while, but the feeling is pretty cool. I remember one dream when I was little I was at a playground of some sort and there were other kids there. I somehow realized it was a dream and started telling the kids it was a dream, but why would I bother trying to convince them they aren't real people. So maybe I wasn't lucid dreaming

brod1986

Smash Apprentice
Wow that's fantastic,

I allways thought that lucid dreaming is a completely random thing but apparantly loads of you can do it! I wright my dreams down alot anyways. but i wallways have random horrible dreams where things are trying to kill me. :S is that good or bad? I'd love to realise that i am dreaming and kick whatever is trying to kill me's bottom!

Mikey7

Smash Lord
To expand on the journal thing, after identifying patterns in dreams to test whether you're actually dreaming or not, it is important to actually validate the test and use it in a conscious state and in the dream state. For example if you see a stop sign with "STOP" written on it, turn away, then look back, the word should be gone - you are dreaming (in a conscious state words are permanent). That is a possible sign. Another sign is a simple gravity test: jump. If you jump and gravity does not seem right, you are dreaming (gravity works while in a conscious state).

You can use lucid dreaming to practice things that you normally would do while awake, it is an extremely useful technique.

Mewter

Smash Master
However, I would like to be able to do it more often, but it's only happened occasionally. As long as there is no danger, it would be cool to fly around more in the dreams, and change the dreams that aren't right.
PS: When I was little, I wanted to dream that a rabbit and a crocodile made friends and were talking to eachother(for some reason) and dreamt it.
I one time had a dream where I was flying above a forest, and I landed in my school playground(I was little) and I realizedit was a dream I(like you) triedtotell them it was a dream, and I made them agree? Weird. So, after I did that though, I could still do it for the rest of it, but I couldn't do anything unrealistic. Like flying.
So, are there any dangers to this? Let's research this.

TheSundanceKid

Smash Lord
I've done it alot before. I didn't know it actually had a name though, lol. I realized I was dreaming because I teleported and my reflection was wrong. I kind of "willed" or "thought" of things into existance and it was quite amazing. I also dreamed of dreaming before. It was wierd...I was dreaming of flying and suddenly woke up in my room. I thought "Wow, creepy dream" then stretched out a bit and decided to go get some breakfast. Right as I was about to eat I woke up a second time and had no idea how I was still in bed.

Also, I don't trust touch or pain to figure out if I'm dreaming or not anymore. On numerous accounts I've had dreams where I've been hurt badly. All the pain was real. I dreamt I was stabbed in my side before and during I felt it entering my body and the blood gushing out. Anything like this happen to someone here before? Like Crimson King I've also had bouts of sleep paralysis. I couldn't move, has limited breathing control and couldn't scream. It's a terrifying experience. My breathing was slowing and I thought, "That's, it this is the end. Crap, what a stupid way to die." Then I just turned over and went back to sleep, lol..

Rampage

vx
I've only done it like twice, but both times I'd wake up shortly after I had realized I was in one. But for some reason I could continually go back and forth from my dream at will. The feeling that I had to go through when forcing myself to wake up was icky, I'd imagine it's the same feeling when disconnecting from the matrix lol.

Mewter

Smash Master
I've done it alot before. I didn't know it actually had a name though, lol. I realized I was dreaming I teleported and my reflection was wrong. I kind of "willed" or "thought" of things into existance and it was quite amazing. I also dreamed of dreaming before. It was wierd...I was dreaming of flying and suddenly woke up in my room. I thought "Wow, creepy dream" then stretched out a bit and decided to go get some breakfast. Right as I was about to eat I woke up a second time and had no idea how I was still in bed.

Also, I don't trust touch or pain to figure out if I'm dreaming or not anymore. On numerous accounts I've had dreams where I've been hurt badly. All the pain was real. I dreamt I was stabbed in my side before and during I felt it entering my body and the blood gushing out. Anything like this happen to someone here before? Like Crimson King I've also had bouts of sleep paralysis. I couldn't move, has limited breathing control and couldn't scream. It's a terrifying experience. My breathing was slowing and I thought, "That's, it this is the end. Crap, what a stupid way to die." Then I just turned over and went back to sleep, lol..
Sleep paralysis.
If this is what happens to frequent lucid dreamers, then I'm not sure that I want to encourage it.:laugh:

It is, however, very, very cool, how you can do that.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
My dreams are sometimes like movies, I can totally control where I'm going and what I'm doing. I hate the dreams where I can't. I can even wake up, sleep and start up where my dream left off. ^_^

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I haven't had a lucid dream in a while, but the feeling is pretty cool. I remember one dream when I was little I was at a playground of some sort and there were other kids there. I somehow realized it was a dream and started telling the kids it was a dream, but why would I bother trying to convince them they aren't real people. So maybe I wasn't lucid dreaming
Actually, I had a dream alot like this once.

I was about... 5 or 6 at the time, and in my dream, I was floating around in a giant cube with a black kid (At the time, I had never met a real black person [that sounded really racist]), but we were both on opposite sides of it and were looking 'up' at each other. After talking and flying around in the cube for a while, I said to the kid, "Hey, wait a minute... This is a DREAM!" The black kid looked at me like I had 2 heads, and then I woke up.

Autydragoon

Smash Journeyman
In a circle with Fez, Hyde, Eric and Kelso
When I was little I would have nightmares about someone chasing me. Right before they got me I would bite my tongue and it would "teleport" me into consciousness. I remember when I would bite my tongue in my dream I would float and a portal would open and i would float out of the dream as if it was a bubble and the hole i flew through as I left the dream would seal up. The wierd thing is I started doing this everytime i had a nightmare and one time I did this and as I was leaving through the portal but as it started to seal up all of the creatures in my dream grabbed my feet and slowly pulled me back in. I then imagined myself in reality and I woke up.
Whether or not I actually bit my tongue in real life is still a mystery but in my dreams I imagined myself biting my tongue.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Sounds interesting, though I've never made it happen. Seems you need a lot of brainpower, which I don't have.

SSBMasterFox

Smash Ace
I live in a little place called Strawberry, Arkans
Also look at your hands while dreaming. Mine are always horribly, HORRIBLY mutated. Then, knowing I'm dreaming, I proceed to throw tractors around. :)

bijoux

Smash Cadet
Wow. All my dreams are like this... I wasn't even aware that people didn' have dreams where they could control everything and that there was even a word for it. I'll usually figure out a little ways into the dream that I'm dreaming and save myself from some scary / boring situation. The most recent example I can think of is I had a dream that I was going out with some friends, but for some reason had forgot to put my contacts in. And as I was beating my dream self up about somehow forgetting to put in my contacts so I could see, I realized, "Oh, right. I'm dreaming." and I wanted to see, so, magically I just could. Sometimes my subconscious or whatnot even spells it out for me if I can't really grasp that I'm dreaming. Like, I remember really vividly having a dream in the third grade. I was just kinda' hanging outside my elementary school and I see some parade coming down the road. I really want to go with them but I get freaked out and think that I will get in trouble for leaving school. Then some guy on a horse in a knight's armor is all, "Hey, it's just a dream. It doesn't matter!" So I go off to the circus with this Knight. (:

Wayland

Smash Journeyman
I've definitely been aware of dreaming and in control of elements of a dream, but never god mode. It's usually been me in a bad dream, then realizing it's a dream, then all elements of the bad dream becoming good, followed shortly by waking up.

In semi-relatedness, anyone else ever dream about pissing, then wake up halfway into a completely real piss? It hasn't happened to me recently, but it's something I've never forgotten about. Like, I could be intending to use a tree/urinal/hydrant/outhouse/sink, and end up pissing the bed. It only happened to me once when I was six, but the thought of it bothers me to this day.

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
I've had small parts of some dreams where I realize what's happening (a few times) and then make a decision based off actually thinking about it (only once). I've never had a real lucid dream, though.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I can't seem to lucid dream, maybe if I try some of the stuff CK said I'll be able to do it but normally my dreams are so vivid that I get caught up in them and when they're over there's joy and then depression when I realize it was just a dream. Normally they're pretty nostalgic [hanging out at school, talking in class, sometimes even graduation], so if I try hard enough I'd immediately be able to tell it's a dream.

Lavos

Smash Journeyman
For a while (nearly 6 years) I really wanted to learn how to have lucid dreams. The idea of being able to basically have my own universe where I could control everything and do anything seemed ridiculously cool. I probably could have taught myself, but I was always too lazy. I'd wake up in the morning and not have the time to write down my dreams, or only a couple days a week would I remember to do the hand trick or the clock trick so I wouldn't do it while dreaming. As much fun as it seemed like it would be to fly around or do all sorts of perverted things (don't deny it! This is the real motivation to lucid dream!), somehow I couldn't get into the pattern to do it.

I've become pretty disillusioned with the idea though. It seems like being able to control my dreams at will would remove a lot of the mysticism behind the phenomenon. I enjoy dreaming and recollecting them in the morning. I'm not sure I want to remove their unpredictable, out of control nature. Maybe I'm just being silly and clinging to something that's obviously immaterial and inside my own mind, but I don't really think I want to lucid dream anymore.

digitalmaster287

Smash Journeyman
I can sometimes very rarely, but the thing is that right when I notice, I have to try extremely hard not to fade away from the dream and wake up. Usually, I either end up waking up, or not remembering the dream at all and thereby making the whole lucid dream experience pointless. I probably have many more lucid dreams than I remember, because I have bad recollection with real life events, let alone dreams. Because I was told from several sources that almost everyone dreams several times every night, and I recall dreaming maybe once a week or so.

brod1986

Smash Apprentice
I've done it alot before. I didn't know it actually had a name though, lol. I realized I was dreaming because I teleported and my reflection was wrong. I kind of "willed" or "thought" of things into existance and it was quite amazing. I also dreamed of dreaming before. It was wierd...I was dreaming of flying and suddenly woke up in my room. I thought "Wow, creepy dream" then stretched out a bit and decided to go get some breakfast. Right as I was about to eat I woke up a second time and had no idea how I was still in bed.

I think that the film the matrix has it right, your brain is powerfull and makes it real. Like if you are falling in your dream and you dont wake up just before hit the ground you die. It's possible that the shock makes your heart stop. Maby this is how people die in ther sleep.

brod1986

Smash Apprentice
Actually, I had a dream alot like this once.

I was about... 5 or 6 at the time, and in my dream, I was floating around in a giant cube with a black kid (At the time, I had never met a real black person [that sounded really racist]), but we were both on opposite sides of it and were looking 'up' at each other. After talking and flying around in the cube for a while, I said to the kid, "Hey, wait a minute... This is a DREAM!" The black kid looked at me like I had 2 heads, and then I woke up.
It's funny that you should say you have never met a black person before you had the dream. Ive dont alot of reaserch into dreams and apparantly every person that you dream about is someone that you have either met or walked by in the street or seen in a film. Our brains are so powerfull that it stores every face you have ever seen in the subcontious where it comes out in dream. Cool Eh?

Speaking about that my m8 saw the woman of his dreams......in a dream. So she's out there waiting for him somewhere.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
The only dream I remember I could manipulate was just recently, and that was on accident. It is strange because the evening before I had the "lucid" dream, I put a lot of heavy thought into it, however I have tried to do it so many times but it never happened before.

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
I can't lucid dream, but I can control what I dream about to a degree.

I meditate normally, with a simple meditation. It's a breathing exercise, and as I breathe slowly, I attempt to block out all thoughts from my mind.

Before I go to sleep, I sit straight up, and start to meditate in that way. However, instead of blocking all thoughts out, I concentrate as hard as I can on a single thought. A picture helps, such as a face or a location. I've tried it with a face a few times, and it worked successfully every time. When I fall asleep, I start to dream about that person.

I've stopped doing it, just because now I just want to sleep, and I don't care as much about dreams.

Lucid dreaming would be freaking cool, though. I'm going to try.

Grandeza

Smash Master
I wrote my first entry in my dream diary. To my surprise I remembered my dream very clearly. I feel dumb for not realizing it was a dream. I was on harvard campus yet it was remodeled in one day and part of it looked just like my school. Then we went to an ice cream truck. Average sized yet it had like 2 floors. Then one part of the campus was like a desert. WTF how did I not figure out it was a dream. I'm starting to use the reality check method so I hope I'll have better luck next time.

Top Bottom