• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can you guys critique my doc?

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
ok so i only watched 5 minutes of it, but here's my advice:

• nair and uair more. especially uair. it's so good with doc
  • try to not dtilt as much
  • be aware of your stage position. you give up center stage too much
  • be more aggressive with your edgeguards. and in general, you relinquish control too much when you could've continued a combo

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552

• be more aggressive with your edgeguards. and in general, you relinquish control too much when you could've continued a combo
Thanks. I guess I should play more aggressively then? Yeah, though a few of those dtilts were supposed to be dsmash, I learned my mistake with that. Perhaps I should use the cape for edgeguarding?

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Thanks. I guess I should play more aggressively then? Yeah, though a few of those dtilts were supposed to be dsmash, I learned my mistake with that. Perhaps I should use the cape for edgeguarding?
You want to play more aggressive, but calculated aggressive. And yes, you want to edgeguard with the cape, but not always. A good thing to do is grab the ledge and ledgehop a bair, nair or cape depending on the situation. a good time to use the cape is against firefox. but don't just do it when he's in the startup animation. wait for the fox to actually go somewhere with his up-b and then use the cape to send him flying in the opposite direction off stage.

Watch how Shroomed edgeguards this match. Also take note of his approaches, his use of dair (something you could start incorporating, it's really easy actually), his jab game (which sets up for grabs and smashes) and his grab game.

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
I watched that video, and it really gives me a new perspective on Doc. I'll be sure to practice incorporating my aerials more and start figuring out jabs and grabs. Thank you for the video and the help.

Logz

Smash Cadet

Everything this guy said is right. From my experience, nairs work really well against the spacies, especially Falco. The Dtilt is pretty tricky too use, so I wouldn't use it often. The only time I would ever use it is if I want to knock my opponent off the stage if my back is facing the edge. You can also use it when your opponent is hanging on the ledge for a semi-spike of sorts (dunno if it always works), but use the dtilt sparingly. Another piece of advise: when you are fighting a space animal, make sure you pay attention to how they are recovering back on to the stage. Usually you will have a harder time predicting Fox, but nevertheless cape Fox/Falco's Fire Fox/Fire Bird for an easy kill and bair their Phantasms so you can gimp them. If you keep letting them get back on the stage, you're going to have a hard time killing them (especially fox, but any character really), so make sure you're more aggressive with how you edge guard in certain situations. My last piece of advise is to learn to approach better with short hop uair (see Shroomed) and nairs/bairs. Maybe even work on your JC grabs since that will help set up a lot of combos for you to punish with.

Good luck man,
Logz.

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
I'd like to thank you guys for the advice once more. So, I've uploaded another video of matches that I hope demonstrates whether I've successfully incorporated these new tactics into my game. I hope someone watches it and points out any weaknesses I may still have. Also, only watch until the 3rd match as after that I switch to Sheik, and please pardon the lower quality on this one.

Logz

Smash Cadet
Captain Rage Quit,

I watched the most recent video you posted and here is some feedback I can offer:

For the Marth match up: Many Doc mains can debate what match ups they find to be the most difficult. My least favorite match up personally would have to be against Marth, since you only have such a small window of moves that are effective against Marth players. Now, I think you lucked out a bit with who you were fighting because they didn't seem to understand how the match up works for Marth vs Doc. Evidently you were playing better, but I saw some bad habits you had against this Marth that would not work against more refined Marth players. For example, you tend to slide a lot with Doc. While Doc's dash attack isn't terrible, when used incorrectly it can be easily punished. What I'm trying to say is that you should use a different form of approach. Against a Marth personally I would approach in a few ways: 1) Wave dash -> uptilt 2) Wave dash -> dsmash 3) Wave dash -> upsmash 4) Short Hop ->upair->fast fall Out of these 4, I find 1) works the best since the hitbox for the uptilt is very good for setting up combos and for spacing against Marth players. You just need to make sure and play it patient against a Marth since they have so many more ways to kill you. Also, when playing against a Marth make sure you try to maintain full control of the stage. Getting edge guarded by Marth is Doc's worst nightmare, and spacing will help you a lot with stage control. Best stages against I Marth from my personal experience would be FD and Battlefield, and make sure you ban Yoshi's Island every time you get the chance. Check this video out for some help on the match up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbhBrP76nwo

For the Falco match up: I think this match up is pretty even on paper. These days Falco mains are becoming less and less (look no further to Dr. PP being one of the only Falco mains in the top 10.) It's really easy to edge guard a Falco if you know what you're doing. Falco's recovery is pretty bad, so make sure to pay attention to how the Falco moves off stage. If they are higher, they will most likely try to side B back onto the stage/ledge, so you can counter this with a bair. If they still are able to recover, they will most likely try to upb back onto the stage assuming they are beneath the ledge. Here, you can get an easy gimp using your cape against Falco's Fire Bird. I didn't really see you do this much in your video, so that's why I'm mentioning all of this. Another thing to note is that doc's nair works really well as an approach to Falco, so use it whenever you can (especially helps with spacing.) Also, you should practice JC grabs. This will help a lot, especially with the fast fallers, since you can pretty much have a guarenteed up throw chain grab from 0-60ish%. Once the fast fallers are higher in percent, you can either upthrow them and follow up with a fair, or down throw them and follow up with a dsmash or fsmash(assuming they don't DI for fsmash). Falcos are generally easy for Doc's to combo/gimp, but consequently Doc's weight makes it easy for Falco's to combo Docs, so I'd say the match up is fairly even. Check this video out for some help on the match up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvmoy7uT-vk

Hope this helped.

Cheers,
Logz

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
Thanks to everyone who has helped me out so far.

I have some simple questions now, and I hope people can help answer these questions.

1.) How valuable is dash dancing to Doc's game?
2.) What are some good ways to approach your opponent? I'm trying to kick the slide habit.
3.) Why are Fox and Marth so hard to fight?

Logz

Smash Cadet

I have some simple questions now, and I hope people can help answer these questions.

2.) What are some good ways to approach your opponent? I'm trying to kick the slide habit.

1.) Very valuable. You'll need it for spacing and for observing your opponents. Incorporate some WDs into your dash dance game and you'll see a drastic improvement I'm sure.
2.) Definitely SH -> upair -> fast fall. For fast fallers I like using nairs a lot. For approaching Marth I'd try to WD into dsmash/uptilt/jab/etc.
3.) They are definitely hard match ups. I'd work on your jab & grab game a lot so you can combo them. Work on chain grabbing fox from 0-60ish% (also helps with combos), and try to work on how you approach and space against Marth (uptilt is your best approach for Marth imo.) Outspacing Marth is the key to beating Marth I would think, since all a Marth wants to do is kill you with a tipper.

PTJon

Smash Cadet

Dash dancing is super important, dash dancing effectively and smartly is pretty hard in my opinion but it pays off so much in the long run.

Nair and Up-air are the only good approach aerials you have, but I also like the full hop pill to waveland as well (I think its called the placebo but I might be wrong). Dash dancing to bait out your opponents attacks in another way to set up punishes in neutral.

If you haven't already learn the spacie chain grab, its so amazingly useful and it helps you turn FD into an excellent counter pick. Fox and Falco have become my favorite matchups now just because Doc can so effectively punish them off of grab.

ZaXXoR

Smash Journeyman
a dash dance is used to make the opponent think your going to attack them, baiting them into making a move and being counter attacked. I personally would suggest you focus on fundamentals more then the actualy character right now, practice consistently short hopping, wave dashing back and forth on platforms and shffling moves, read the article in here for Doc vs the world, possibly even make seperate files saved on ur computer for the matchups, but honestly youd benefit more from fixing your inconsistencies in techskill then focusing on reading, char matchups, etc.

here are some fake examples of reasons why we should focus on fixing our techskill
E.g. you want to short hop back air the opponent, you accidently full hop, you get juggled then forward smashed to death
E.g2, you want to wave land on a platform, you accidently roll and get punished
E.g3 you're dash dancing and **** up and end up doing the weird turnaround thing in front of ur opponent giving them a free grab into a wobble into death

Melee is based on mistakes, and character matchups, but foremost, mistakes

When i started getting heavy into doc, i referred to this video alot, it has and still helps me to this day to remember my options and possibilities, i suggest watching it, and taking in the info, than watching it again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp_qhEx3zKE if you have trouble with any of the techniques listed just ask here or refer back to the video

Last edited:
NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
@ ZaXXoR ZaXXoR I love that video so much, thank you for showing me it.

Now I know what I have to do in training mode. Holy moly, I can cancel up-b and shoot pills twice and properly recover and I can practice all of it now! Chain grabs, dash dancing, chasing your opponent, mindgames.

It's all so clear now!! Now I know where to start improving. Before I tackle matchups, I gotta level up my own game. Thank you very much.

One thing though; I'm having trouble doing the short-hop-bair-into-wavedash thing. It says to hold a direction to hover but I'm not getting it. Help is appreciated, and thank you in advance.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
One thing though; I'm having trouble doing the short-hop-bair-into-wavedash thing. It says to hold a direction to hover but I'm not getting it. Help is appreciated, and thank you in advance.
Are you trying to bair with C-stick or with A? It's significantly easier to use A, imo, but you lose some control in doing that. I'd say to start out using back+A and trying to use the C-stick later.
Just as an example of the timeframe you're working with...:
Jump Frame Data:
Jump: airborne on frame 5

Air time: 52
Earliest FF: 27
FF air time: 40

SH air time: 32
Earliest FF: 17
SH FF air time: 22
-------------------------
Bair Frame Data:
Total: 28
Hit: 6-16
Auto cancel: <5 19>
Landlag: 18
Lcanceled: 9

You have 4 frames of jumpsquat after you press jump, according to this. After that you have 32 frames of air-time, if you SH. Bair takes 28 frames. So you have to start your bair at least 4 frames after you press jump and no more than 8 frames (32+4-28) after you press jump so that your bair will finish before you land. So basically, there's roughly a 4 frame window to bair, starting the first frame you leave the ground. The closer to the jump that you begin the bair, the more leeway you have to input the airdodge.
If some part of that doesn't make sense, then please excuse me. I started writing it then got distracted and picked it back up, so it might just be a damned mess.

Last edited:
NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
Are you trying to bair with C-stick or with A? It's significantly easier to use A, imo, but you lose some control in doing that. I'd say to start out using back+A and trying to use the C-stick later.
I'm using A for now, since I guessed it'd be easier. Holy moly, only 4 frames? So I have to bair while I'm in jumpsquat mode, huh? Tricky timing, though I'll get to work on it. Thank you.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
I'm using A for now, since I guessed it'd be easier. Holy moly, only 4 frames? So I have to bair while I'm in jumpsquat mode, huh? Tricky timing, though I'll get to work on it. Thank you.
Sorry, I probably worded that funny, but you don't have to bair while jumpsqatting (that will get you an empty jump). frames 1-4 are jumpsquat, and somewhere in frames 5-8 should be a bair. I believe.
Someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just looking at the frame data and interpreting it
Another possibility is that you're just not hitting the air dodge in the right window. If you hit it too late or too early, you'll get nothing as well. One way that might be easier to test if you're doing a Bair fast enough, is if you try to double jump before you land on the ground again, since it's easier to hit X/Y at a specific time than a hard press of L/R.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
Food for thought, I personally recommend incorporating the C-stick as soon as possible into your game play. While you may find it easier to use the A button right now, you will find that in the long run you will benefit more from developing proper habits immediately. I had to learn this the hard way when it came to the C-stick. Even to this day, I still use A periodically for smash attacks, rarely, but I wish I always used the C-stick for smash attacks. You should be using the C-stick for all of your aerials, rolling, and DI. I know you are in the learning stages but this is the optimal time for adjustments to perfect your Doc. arsenal.

As far as the SHBAWD question, as you are rising from the SH you bair (with the C-stick), and then wave-land (WD). The reason why you want to use the C-stick in SHBAWD's case is because you will be able to maintain your DI with your movement. Maintaining your DI helps with spacing and zoning. That is one of the biggest reasons that comes to mind and one of the many reasons why the C-stick will always be superior for aerials among other things.

Last edited:
NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
Food for thought...
Oh man, what an honor! Anyway, I've been trying to use the c-stick like you said. May you clarify how are you able to maintain DI with the c-stick as apposed to using A? Also, can you offer some examples of the advantages c-stick offers for general use, aside from faster smash attacks? I'd love to learn this. Thank you in advance.

Food for thought, I personally recommend incorporating the C-stick as soon as possible into your game play. While you may find it easier to use the A button right now, you will find that in the long run you will benefit more from developing proper habits immediately. I had to learn this the hard way when it came to the C-stick. Even to this day, I still use A periodically for smash attacks, rarely, but I wish I always used the C-stick for smash attacks. You should be using the C-stick for all of your aerials, rolling, and DI. I know you are in the learning stages but this is the optimal time for adjustments to perfect your Doc. arsenal.

As far as the SHBAWD question, as you are rising from the SH you bair (with the C-stick), and then wave-land (WD). The reason why you want to use the C-stick in SHBAWD's case is because you will be able to maintain your DI with your movement. Maintaining your DI helps with spacing and zoning. That is one of the biggest reasons that comes to mind and one of the many reasons why the C-stick will always be superior for aerials among other things.
I would think you should use whatever methods allow you to get the job done. For example with Marth, SH Fair is easier for me to do via stick + A rather than the C-stick. However, I do find SH Fair -> Bair/Dair/Uair easier by first doing the stick + a, then using the c-stick for the last aerial in the short hop.

Similarly, Stick + A to me seems more intuitive for say a walk -> fsmash rather than simply walk -> c-stick. Or if I want to charge it I'd use stick instead. However, with say Fox I would do OoS Usmash with stick + c-stick rather than simply Up + A.

There are just multiple ways to do many things in this game and you should do whatever works best for you with the best results. Always using stick or c-stick to me seems limiting when using some actions with the stick are superior to some actions only with the c-stick.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
Oh man, what an honor! Anyway, I've been trying to use the c-stick like you said. May you clarify how are you able to maintain DI with the c-stick as apposed to using A? Also, can you offer some examples of the advantages c-stick offers for general use, aside from faster smash attacks? I'd love to learn this. Thank you in advance.
With the analog-stick + A, you need to input a direction to do your aerial with the analog-stick, which is disruptive to your initial DI. With the C-stick, because you are using two separate sticks, you are leaving your DI (with the analog-stick) completely free to move in whatever direction. For example, once you get good at the SHBAWD going backwards, try going forward with it. You will see how much easier that is with the C-stick in comparison to if you were to use the analog-stick while trying to perform the forward SHBAWD. More examples would be basically every scenario where you can see that your character is moving in the opposite direction that his aerial requires the analog-stick to go in (moving backward with fair, moving downwards with uair, etc.)

I would think you should use whatever methods allow you to get the job done. For example with Marth, SH Fair is easier for me to do via stick + A rather than the C-stick. However, I do find SH Fair -> Bair/Dair/Uair easier by first doing the stick + a, then using the c-stick for the last aerial in the short hop.

Similarly, Stick + A to me seems more intuitive for say a walk -> fsmash rather than simply walk -> c-stick. Or if I want to charge it I'd use stick instead. However, with say Fox I would do OoS Usmash with stick + c-stick rather than simply Up + A.

There are just multiple ways to do many things in this game and you should do whatever works best for you with the best results. Always using stick or c-stick to me seems limiting when using some actions with the stick are superior to some actions only with the c-stick.
I agree with using whatever methods allow you to get the job done and for the best results. When I first started, I used purely analog-stick as well because it was easier and it was what I was used to after playing for four or five years. Then, when my brothers and I first started competitive play, our mentors RockCrock and QueenDVS told us we should use the C-stick for our moves. This proved to be the most useful and objective way of using aerials and smash attacks after I learned how to use the C-stick. Later on, a friend of mine that mains Peach named exarch told me I should use the C-stick for my rolls. Again, once I learned this and stopped using my analog-stick to roll, this proved to be the best way to roll. However, there can be cases where players are just really good and can get the job done with the analog-stick or with whatever play-style they use. RockCrock and QueenDVS used the analog-stick to wave dash, so I see where you're coming from. Take players like Javi or Colbol. These players have tailored the claw-style of controller holding to be some of the best Fox players in SSBM history. People should use what is best for their play-style, conventional or not. Be that as it may, there is still an objective standard to use as a general guideline that has proven in the past to be the most successful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom