• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can someone suggest how to break these habits?

Fizzle

Smash Journeyman
It varies with each person, but to me the best way to break any habit is to have a good player punish you for it over and over again. Find some players in your area, and let them beat up on you for a while. It's much harder to break a habit when the person you're playing also roll spams (or doesn't punish you for it). That merely encourages the habit.

Don't use smashes so much either. Smash attacks are slow, and in most cases are not meant to build up damage. Use jabs, tilts, grabs, aerials, anything. Save your smashes for killing.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I had the same problem. You can see my vids on youtube, same name as smashboards, and you'll see what im talking about.

I played against CPUs and learned how to avoid attacks through spacing and airdodging. I still have some trouble with spotdodge, but im alright, imo.

Anyway, just play a cpu and conciously continually think to yourself, DO NOT roll. I started to realise that rolling isnt really the best way to go. easily punished.

Put the CPU on level 3 to start with, and just tell yourself, dont attack, just dodge. Dont even hit the A or B buttons unless you're recovering. just space and dodge attacks. nothing else.

KSUkid

Smash Apprentice
Good tips so far, and I've been working on those a fair bit. I convinced the other guy to do a set of tournament-rules matches some weekend coming up. So if all goes well, I'll get those up here soon.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
I have/had that problem. As of late, I've been playing a ton of free for alls with my friends for the sole purpose of not using roll. I figure if I can space well enough to not get ***** with sheik in a free for all, then it should not be a problem when I do one on one's, which so far the results have been lookingly slightly better.

yeah, don't smash unless you're killing or punishing severely.

I'm no expert on sheik or anything, but that hurt to watch. Read up on sheik, practice, and **** your friends marth!

Triad

Smash Rookie
Hook up an electric chair that shocks you whenever you roll
That will never do. Every time you roll just end the match, and eventually you'll get so tired of hearing NO CONTEST and AWWW and waiting for the game to load that you won't roll anymore. It's the perfect remedy!

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
That will never do. Every time you roll just end the match, and eventually you'll get so tired of hearing NO CONTEST and AWWW and waiting for the game to load that you won't roll anymore. It's the perfect remedy!
I hate when people say that. It's such a waste of time and it's replacing one habit with another one is not solving any problems.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Hahaha.

Yeah I've heard it many times. Put the stocks on 99 and when you die end contest. Play against a lvl something someone and when something happens, end contest.

hurricaneap60

Smash Rookie
Rolling isn't that terrible.

Especially considering that we're talking about Sheik who has the dsmash, fsmash, and utilt-all great moves (especially dsmash)-that punish spotdodging and airdodging.

Your problem with rolling isn't that you roll, but that you make it a habit to roll. If it's a habit, it's predictable.

Instead of just never rolling ever again or replacing one habit with another (as Sinking Higher said), you should know all your options and choose the best one.

Don't just play, be aware of what you're doing.

(at least until THAT becomes a habit :) )

ReoZeo

Smash Journeyman
You really do have a problem with rolling too much, lol, guess you gotta just keep practicing with it in mind to not roll. THen gradually not rolling will be a habit =D
I posted this comment on your youtube video too :p

Top Bottom