• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can someone please post actual button explanations for the alternating grabs!!

Atlantis

Smash Cadet
I am trying to learn the alternating grabs, but i dunno what buttons to press when, or whether i need to hold forward to get nana to walk forward while holding an enemy. Can someone please post a somewhat in depth button explanation on exactly how to do the alternating grabs. I would GREATLY appreciate it, thank you!

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Forward - Tilt the control stick forward as if to do a tilt. As one Ice Climber f-throws, the other should be walking forward. As the throw animation is finishing, hit Z to grab with the other Climber. If timed correctly, you will regrab.

Down - Hit down on the control stick (to do a d-throw) and immediately tilt forward (during the throw animation). One Ice Climber will d-throw, the other should be walking, not running, forward slightly. As you hear the "bounce" sound, press Z to regrab.

Back - Press backwards and Z almost simultaneously. Sometimes the Z is a little bit delayed. In any case, this one is fairly simple, but only works while Popo is the one grabbing.

Back (if Nana is grabbing) - Press backwards. Nana will b-throw, but Popo will be running in that direction. As the opponent comes flying in Popo's direction, hit back+Z to do a pivot grab.

The timing on any of them is hard and varies with character weight.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You can backthrow to popo with nana without pivoting..Thats how I do my combo >_>.

Atlantis

Smash Cadet
yeah, i can't wait till i can just grab someone and put 100% on without their say in the matter, lol

and Hylian, i would like you to send me the replay you made if you can, unless they are the same as voids alt grab videos...which i have seen.

Ark22

Smash Apprentice
You control both of them separately. If you tilt forwards very, very gently, popo/nana will walk forward while the other one won't throw. If you tilt forwards normally, nana/popo will walk forwards while the other one throws. If you smash forwards, it usually won't work. Also, if nana gets too far from popo, she will act independently and do a throw that you don't want her to do.

Fhed

Smash Apprentice
Yeah i know about that, but im having trouble making Popo do the actual throw. I manage to move Nana while Popo is grabbing but I dont know how to make Popo throw so that Nana can grab.

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman
just push it a bit harder until he throws, i can pull off the forward and down chaingrabs, but i always screw up the bthrow, which seems to be the opposite of everyone else, which is odd, and sucks because its kinda more important than going forward

t_mac009

Smash Rookie
the only problem i have is sometime nana walks to far ahead and then does her own throw instead of following the forward sequence..can anyone point out what i need to slightly change...i can probably do it once every ten times but i only get like three or four throws in before i screw up the timing

EDIT: someone whose more consistant at alt. grabs should test this..but i find if i spot dodge before i start the grab i can do it much more frequently:confused: maybe its just because ive been practice for 2 hours and am getting better haha

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Woohoo I think muscle memory is starting to kick in! I can do D Throw CG, D Throw F Air CG and F alternate now, people having trouble just need to use the cliche practice practice practice.

thesultan2112

Smash Apprentice
Beta9001
you dash then jam the joy stick in the opposite direction, it's usuallycomobed with a bair, because the pivot will keep the momentum when you jump in the air, so you can basically fly backward

edit: sorry i was postijg a reply ofr an older post apperently

sweener

Smash Rookie
when practicing chain grabs should we do it in training or in like a low lvl match up?

Top Bottom