• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

can olimar compete in high tournaments?

Juanda991

Smash Cadet
well, actually i main olimar but i dont know if ill main him in the future, reason? because his horrible recovery and because is really easy to gimp him, my question is, olimar can be a top tier? olimar can be a champion? we can be a pros with our olimar?

ChibiPichu

Smash Journeyman
Its a hard job for lightweight characters and easy to hit big characters
Its a harder job for lightweight Olimar because he gets flung around alot and usually cannot exploit coming back on the stage and hurting his opponent good without Pikmin that take a while to recover
Many characters can spam moves against him that would hurt him if he tried to jump over them with a good reaction to counter
He doesn't have the best recovery system so sometimes if he falls he risks being hit or having an area that he can latch onto be secured by an enemy which is annoying if you can't land overhead, either that or you don't have enough Pimin
If you miss with your Pikmin you leave yourself open, an aspect that can be hard to cope with because his smash moves are slower than a good many others

I believe if someone was good at knowing at when to toss a Pikmin so air attacks wouldn't affect them and continue to put pressure on their opponent hitting them at the right time and not caught without enough Pikmin yes, it could easily be done
Projectiles are a Pikmin horror if you can't flick them in front of you to take the damage or are caught otherwise
He has a good list of moves for when his opponent gets close and they do honorable damage as well
His best point would probably be using the right Pikmin at the right time, which I try to do but I bet most people would do better than me do... better

Juanda991

Smash Cadet
well, always im having trouble with his recovery, the people is improving the edge hog and day to day everybody is faster in the edge hog, for this i dont know if olimar can be somebody in a future

asob4

Smash Champion
i have played with "pros" and some of the best people out in so cal (best region represent!) and i have done very well using olimar
if you haven't seen in the olimar tournament results thread, olimar has won quite a few and places high very often.
me and mr. x are often said to be some of the best olimar's (by people who have played both of us, but i'm being arrogant as well lol). awex is also a very good olimar.
the only problems are MK's, ROB's, and Marth's. but your secondaries should cover those 3. (DK g dubs ftw)

also, there are a lot of tricks you can do which make his recovery better. mind games son, mind games

Juanda991

Smash Cadet
well, olimar is almost only grabs, i can see all people that start his combos with grab, and in medium battle grabs, grabs, and grabs, i know olimar has good smashes and air combos, but the most moved used is the grab, i use it a lot too, lol, is one of the best olimar moves and one of the best grabs.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
i have played with "pros" and some of the best people out in so cal (best region represent!) and i have done very well using olimar
if you haven't seen in the olimar tournament results thread, olimar has won quite a few and places high very often.
me and mr. x are often said to be some of the best olimar's (by people who have played both of us, but i'm being arrogant as well lol). awex is also a very good olimar.
the only problems are MK's, ROB's, and Marth's. but your secondaries should cover those 3. (DK g dubs ftw)

also, there are a lot of tricks you can do which make his recovery better. mind games son, mind games
True

the answer is yes, I'm not gonna come in here and ramble about who I've played and talk myself up blah blah but yes. he can. no reason to stop playing him
Double True

Awex

Smash Lord
Only in some cases is Olimar truly gimped with no hope of recovery. He has more options than any of the other tether recover-ers, so as long as you're not predictable, you should be able to get back.

Also, thanks Skank. I'm trying to make my way to be a respected Olimar. Mr X is awesome from his videos, though I still need to see yours in non-pikminless-olimar-ditto action. (Imma da best Olimar in SD tho wooooo)

Pikminmaniac

Smash Cadet
I play against tournement regulars and from personal experience, Olimar is a beast on the stage, but easily owned off-stage. This could just be me, but DeDeDe completely owns my Olimar in every way. It's hard to tell with Olimar because he has really strong Pros and really strong Cons. We just have to abuse his strengths! But nothing is more worth it than owning your friends with your favorite character in Video Gaming History!

Pikmin and Pikmin 2 FTW

Juanda991

Smash Cadet
I play against tournement regulars and from personal experience, Olimar is a beast on the stage, but easily owned off-stage. This could just be me, but DeDeDe completely owns my Olimar in every way. It's hard to tell with Olimar because he has really strong Pros and really strong Cons. We just have to abuse his strengths! But nothing is more worth it than owning your friends with your favorite character in Video Gaming History!

Pikmin and Pikmin 2 FTW
dedede?, can you explain me how he beats you?

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
This could just be me, but DeDeDe completely owns my Olimar in every way.
Yeah, it's just you. Olimar has a slight advantage in this matchup, since dedede is a huge target and can't really shake pikmin off of him as well as most characters. Stay away from the edge, and don't get grabbed.

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
I don't really play olimar but i have to say, if he didn't have such a crappy recovery he would probably be the best in the game and actually beat mk with just uair grabs and smash attacks.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Mr. X ***** with him in tournies, along with probably a few others. Olimar generally has a smaller following compared to other characters, while still being one of the best in the game (sort of like the Ice Climbers and Jigglypuff in Melee). So-yes Olimar is usable in tournies, and is probably up there are one of the best.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero

Pikmin and Pikmin 2 FTW
im sorry dude, but you suck. Olimar vs. D3 is one of the most rapetastic matchups in the game... in oli's favor. all you have to do is run away and throw pikmin. its so simple its ********. its honestly gayer than some of the things ive seen snake do

asob4

Smash Champion
im sorry dude, but you suck. Olimar vs. D3 is one of the most rapetastic matchups in the game... in oli's favor. all you have to do is run away and throw pikmin. its so simple its ********. its honestly gayer than some of the things ive seen snake do
wrong
first you combo to 80%, then spam pikmin toss until high enough damage, then up smash ftw gg

we'll get our matches soon enough awex haha

Pikminmaniac

Smash Cadet
The reason why he keeps beating my Olimar is that if I throw a pikmin he kills it before it touches him with his long ranged hammer. He even uses the Wadle Dees to kill in coming pikmin. I can't do a thing. This is the only character I have trouble with. I can beat the others just fine. Maybe this guy's just an epic DeDeDe player

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
do you SHthrow your pikmin? If not, that's your problem.

asob4

Smash Champion
i've played some epic D3 players, and they have problems gettin the pikmin off and the 80% combo's are too much

Snail

Smash Lord
The reason why he keeps beating my Olimar is that if I throw a pikmin he kills it before it touches him with his long ranged hammer. He even uses the Wadle Dees to kill in coming pikmin. I can't do a thing. This is the only character I have trouble with. I can beat the others just fine. Maybe this guy's just an epic DeDeDe player
Throw the pikmin from a short hop or full jump, they'll fly over those nasty Waddle Dees. And you can throw way faster than he can shake them off :/ Dedede is really easy for me...

Olimarman

Smash Ace

Pikmin and Pikmin 2 FTW
Dedede is a fairly easy matchup for Olimar. For 1, hes huge, so hes incredibly easy to hit. Most of his moves have beginning lag, so hitting Dedede should not be a problem. Just avoid getting grabbed as much as you can, as well as being sucked in. Use your whistle to prevent you from getting koed, and throw pikmin. Throw throw throw throw. Dedede can't do anything. Your opening combos can usually get 60%+ on him.

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
I've got a few pointers for you if you are frusterated with Oli's recovery.

1. If your knocked offstage, whatever you do, DO NOT DOUBLE JUMP UNTIL YOUR ARE RIGHT BY THE STAGE. I cannot stress this enough, as it means the difference between life and death, trust me.

2. An important thing to know: Olimar can only tether 3 times before he must again place his feet on solid ground; after that, death. So NEVER ledge camp with U-B without climbing back onto the stage, you will die.

3. Because Olimar is gimpable, using him to stageguard offstage aggressivly (what I do) throws most players off. They aren't expecting anything but fear from you off of the ledge: take advantage of their folly. If you play it right, Olimar is a grinding machine of death on and off of the stage, intimidating and unpredictable--perfect :D.

4. U-air is a crucial move to remember when faced with an edgehog. If you are close enough to them, they will be forced to relinquish their position, giving you the opportunity to tether back and continue the fight.

5. Finally, this should go for ANY character, but ESPECIALLY with Olimar: KEEP YOUR COOL OFFSTAGE. Always analyze the possibilities, don't waste that double jump, and if you cant get back on, save the tether, aim carefully, and try to stagespike their camping *** ftw.

I guess this sort of turned into general advice for olimar, but I'd hate to see an Olimainer shy away from such an awesome character because he is discouraged. Good luck and I hope I helped!

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Wrong. If you've ever come across a real Dedede player you wouldn't say this. It's still Olimar's advantage, but only a 6-4 matchup imo.. He can still tech chase you and edgeguard extremely well.

jmanxiv

Smash Apprentice
Olimar to me is Top tier, and yes i have been to high tournaments, I didn't win, cause i need to get better, but i know Olimar can be top dog. You just got to play with him more and learn combos.

If you can get you enemy to 50% damage with Olimar in 2 seconds. Then your getting better.

shanus

Smash Hero
yes he can compete in high level, but usually as you face more and more strong MK users or MK secondaries, it becomes harder and harder at the tourney scene.. Be ready for those counterpicks as you yourself made need to counterpick an MK with a more reasonable match-up. As good as you may be, facing MK is a very VERY uphill battle.

I plan to stick it through however and try to really improve my MK game. I find a lot of MK players are so predictable with shuttle loop that WAC'ing shuttle loop leaves them farely uneasy about kill move selection. However, the unpredictable MKs make me :-(

Juanda991

Smash Cadet
well, for me olimar will never be at the level of snake or mk, why? because yes, recovery is one of the most importan things! and snake is overpowered

IcyLight

Smash Lord
Olimar can be a very good placer. I've placed high in tournaments right below Cort and PC Chris in Northeast region. As ASOB said, mind games son, mind games.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Only in some cases is Olimar truly gimped with no hope of recovery. He has more options than any of the other tether recover-ers
Not according to the Zero Suit Samus boards.

The reason why he keeps beating my Olimar is that if I throw a pikmin he kills it before it touches him with his long ranged hammer. He even uses the Wadle Dees to kill in coming pikmin.
lolwut? I've never seen Wadle Dees kill Pikmin, stop them yes but not kill. Like DanGR said SH throw yar Pikmin, his hammer is slow so throw some bait Pikmin to get an attack out and unleash the fury during end lag.

Olimar isn't doing bad in tournaments, it's just that he joins the tourneys with all MetaKnight entries.

asob4

Smash Champion
it's not that, it's that there's very few actually repping him in tournaments
i'm usually the ONLY oli out here for locals, and one of 5 at regionals

Dotcom

Smash Lord
If you don't think so. Consider StarzOnEdge got 10th at CH3. With Olimar alone. If you don't know what CH3 is here's just some of the people who were here, I mean even some guys from Cali. M2k, Neo(the guy who's ROY beat Ken's Marth), DSF, Chu Dat, Chillin, Azen, Plank, and a whole bunch of pro's considering CH3 had close to 80 or 90 people in attendance and maybe more(I din't go :()

Top Bottom