• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can anyone tell a smasher when they see one?

Smash legacy

Smash Apprentice
Today at work some kid that comes in everyonce in a while came in and just by looking at him I got this feeling or sense that he played Smash. I dont know why I could tell or why I sensed that he did I just could tell by looking at him. So I wanted to ask him if he plays Smash and if hes going to get brawl, but I felt kind of stupid for asking some complete stranger if he plays but I asked him anyways and he goes something like ''hell yea Im going to get brawl I cant wait for it, then he was like how could you tell Iliked Smashbros was it the glasses?'' but it had nothing to do with the glasses he just looked like a nintendo kid.

So anyways we tlked about Brawl for a couple of minutes and I wish I asked who hes gonna main.

Has anyone felt like this, or wanted to ask someone like a random stranger if they played Smashbros?

I got theez nintendo senses in my brainz. PLayed to much Nintendo.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
I usually make a captain falcon joke, anybody that gets it is a smasher. Wrks wonders for finding people to play in college. Most of them overaate themselves horribly, but they get better.

NoNessNoProblem

Smash Ace
Yeah it's happened to me i walked up to this guy and asked him to you smash then he put his hands up and started pounding me to the ground. :(

SilentDrifterZ

Smash Ace
O-o, I think the guy took you way too literally.

No one will probably figure I'm a smasher in real life (or even a gamer at all), so I tend not to sense anything from people, cause I guess they find the topic of Smash Bros something I'm not interested in :/

I only seem to sense someone's a smasher when I'm in a game area I guess. Maybe I should try the C. Falcon joke so I can find people on campus that I can actually spar with and get better lol

Baka_Shade

Smash Apprentice
I've asked a few people if they play Smash, and the only response I've ever gotten is a condescending giggle and a "no".

Smash legacy

Smash Apprentice
O-o, I think the guy took you way too literally.

No one will probably figure I'm a smasher in real life (or even a gamer at all), so I tend not to sense anything from people, cause I guess they find the topic of Smash Bros something I'm not interested in :/

I only seem to sense someone's a smasher when I'm in a game area I guess. Maybe I should try the C. Falcon joke so I can find people on campus that I can actually spar with and get better lol
Yea or get theyre wii adress.

S2

Smash Lord
I usually make a captain falcon joke, anybody that gets it is a smasher. Wrks wonders for finding people to play in college. Most of them overaate themselves horribly, but they get better.
The great thing about college was that even though you'd pwn a ton of people who thought they rocked at the game, every once and a while you'd find someone who's really really good.

By the end of college we had a whole crew of all the best smashers at the school (at UCSB).

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
I'm working on it, But I'm waiting till Brawl to do anything major. My floor might try a Brawl tourny a couple weeks after release and put up some fliers. We'll flood the basement

okor

Smash Apprentice
Yar!

Just throw out a "FALCONE PAWNCH!!!!!" and everyone that laughs is now your friend!

The Great Leon

Smash Champion
i found 3 smashers in one of my smaller college courses just by looking. none of them were good though XD.

Rang Flash

Smash Journeyman
I saw a guy here watching leaked videos of Brawl in the college cafeteria, so I walked up and talked about smash for a bit. I asked him if he was good at Melee and he said that he is awesome at the game. So I invite him to my room to play a few matches and he starts getting really frustrated by the 4-stocking madness.

It was really cool that he preferred no items and tournament levels, though. And he knew how to drillshine, lol.

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
Can't. After going to tourneys and such, there's a large variety of people.

Not to mention that "everyone" plays smash bros. And when they all say they can beat you, you can't help but facepalm...

Smash legacy

Smash Apprentice
Oh man I dont like tht when ever you bring up smashbros and asked if theyre good they say, yea Im so good I can beat anyone. I have never been in a tournament and Im not good at the advanced techniques but from the brawl vids of the competitive gameplay I fit in with them but then again Ive never played Brawl and I shouldnt judge Brawl after Melee. How long did it take you guys to get good at melee and learn the advanced techniques at a good level?

Break

Smash Apprentice
The great thing about college was that even though you'd pwn a ton of people who thought they rocked at the game, every once and a while you'd find someone who's really really good.

By the end of college we had a whole crew of all the best smashers at the school (at UCSB).
I'm a freshman at UCSB! Do you know of any Smashers currently going there?

On topic: I usually just use the Captain Falcon joke method. I laughed when I read this thread and saw that other people had devised the same strategy.

L.Lowther

Smash Rookie
I've had a similar story. I thought to myself at the bus stop which i get every day after school "i wonder if anyone here plays halo 3" weeks later im playing it online and my mate saids "he knows a guy who lives a suburb away from me who plays halo 3. so i was talking to this guy and it turned out that we take the same bus home from school. O.o

Dyna

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
DASH#330
NNID
DynaDASH
3DS FC
4442-0361-1464
I know many people who doesn't seem to play games at all and happen to be pro-am players at any random game.

Oh yes, you can't tell.
¿How does the Cap'n Falcon joke works? ¿I just scream "falcon pawwwnch" all over the place? ¿Or I have to actually hit anyone? lolz

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
Today at work some kid that comes in everyonce in a while came in and just by looking at him I got this feeling or sense that he played Smash. I dont know why I could tell or why I sensed that he did I just could tell by looking at him. So I wanted to ask him if he plays Smash and if hes going to get brawl, but I felt kind of stupid for asking some complete stranger if he plays but I asked him anyways and he goes something like ''hell yea Im going to get brawl I cant wait for it, then he was like how could you tell Iliked Smashbros was it the glasses?'' but it had nothing to do with the glasses he just looked like a nintendo kid.

So anyways we tlked about Brawl for a couple of minutes and I wish I asked who hes gonna main.

Has anyone felt like this, or wanted to ask someone like a random stranger if they played Smashbros?

I got theez nintendo senses in my brainz. PLayed to much Nintendo.

Something sorta relevant to that happened to me. Guy waiting for his friend while I was living on campus next door came into my room to watch me play Smash. I only just got it at the time and only had one controller, so deciding that he couldn't prove how much better that he was at it than me, he proceeded to describe to me the events of Macross from seasons 1 to 7 in complete nerdy glory. I decided to relay this painful experience to you simply because walking up to random people you don't know and asking if they play Smash kinda ranks into the same bizarre that I experienced. If you are in any way similar then I hate you.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491

Exactly. At my college, we all came from different groups of people who we played Melee with (some of us played against some of the same people, but not everyone).

There are people who I met that were far better than I when I started the semester, and by the end of the semester, we were all on relatively similar skill levels and were all far better, and our range of characters and skills grew.

Before college, I only played Link like the fanboy that I was. But since then I've expanded into other characters.

Some of the people I played against realized that they were simply better at other characters than they started with. It's pretty awesome.

otter

Smash Ace
If I already know the person plays video games, then yes I deffinatly can. I play 2D fighters too and smashers are just super young and dorky compared to that scene. I'm like "Yeah I'd love to smash with you, but I'm not going to church with you!" :laugh:

SeriousWB

Smash Apprentice
Run up to them and flying Knee them. If they laugh they smash, if they look like they want to kill you, run away.

Ike_Freak

Smash Rookie
Yeah, that'll work. Kneeing someone. Haha funny.

The people that I smash with suck. If I Knee'd them they would get real,y mad. lol.
BUt no, I have never found a smasher.

lotor611

Smash Journeyman
you can tell who is a serious smasher because they have this look on their face that says " I know something you dont know..." and usually they are thinking about a sweet combo, counter stage picks, or ways to beat high tiers with low tiers.

Samus-T

Smash Lord
haha this thread is funny. If i sense someone that plays smash, i usually try to talk about smash with a fellow smasher in front of that person to see if it catches their ear and they join in the conversation. Asking a complete stranger if they played smash bros just seems a little weird to me.... XD

Samus-T

Smash Lord
^ i taught my sister to play.... and this girl i hooked up with >;D hahahahahaha

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Heh. I do exactly the same.
Some times I shout out "FALCON *Insert action here* "

Rampage

vx
I asked this guy in my class a little while ago if he plays smash and he was like

"YEAH! I LOVE PLAYING AS KIRBY! YOU JUST GO UP UP UP AND THEN DOWN B!! THEY CAN'T ESCAPE!"

I haven't talked to him since.

Top Bottom