• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can anyone help a Link Player out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caliburn89

Smash Rookie
I just spent the weekend getting bodied in arena trying to figure out where I’m going wrong with my play. What I have worked out is I’m not effective in my grabs or combos, and I can’t “put” other fighters whee I want them to be to punish them. I feel like I might need some advice or coaching to get better. Anyone willing to hop online sometime to show me where I’m going wrong?

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Do you have any way to upload replays? You might find someone to help you in person--even moreso if you ask in the Link character forum--but replays would make it easier for people posting here to offer advice.

Caliburn89

Smash Rookie
Do you have any way to upload replays? You might find someone to help you in person--even moreso if you ask in the Link character forum--but replays would make it easier for people posting here to offer advice.
Good idea. I will do just that.

Link v Richter
This was one of my better matches tonight-I might have one if not for that stupid SD at the end. Critique away!

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Link v Richter
This was one of my better matches tonight-I might have one if not for that stupid SD at the end. Critique away!
Based on that, my best advice for you is to use directional air dodges less. There are several points in that particular match that you were relying on it as your only means to get over Richter, and he started predicting it and punishing pretty regularly. You should generally avoid directional air dodges entirely unless you need the extra recovery distance, or if you're going to do it towards the ground. Otherwise it just leaves you way too open.

Madison Turner

Smash Cadet
Link v Richter
You do a lot of full hop nairs with slow landings toward the opponent, which many players would shield & punish because you can see it coming. You could pull off about two or three short hop fast fall nairs in that same amount of time instead, making Link harder to approach (or could be used for ledge guarding, or just general mix-ups). In general, I think working on the short hop fast fall aerial motion might help you seem more unpredictable to your opponent, and you might get some more hits in.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Too much air-dodging and full jumps. You also went for unnecessary smash attacks, rather than using jabs or tilts. Smash attacks may slip out by accident, but for the most part, jabs and tilts should be what you go for when your opponent isn't even near 100%. Also try to keep your remote bomb out a bit longer. Sometimes, fear is the better weapon. Try going for some remote bomb ledge set-ups. If your opponent gets up, blow up the bomb. If your opponent uses a get-up attack, now he/she is open for punishment. Watch IzAw to see how he utilizes bombs and learn from him.

osby

Smash Obsessed
This topic is suited to Link character discussion, not Ultimate General Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom