• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can anyone give me some advice with USB Adapters for SSBM in Dolphin?

Moo-

Smash Rookie
Hello smashers!

I want to play ssbm in my pc, however im not sure about what usb adapter i should buy, because i have read many reviews for some of the adapters in amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/GC-Controller-Adapter-PC/dp/B0089NVTDM/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_2

http://www.amazon.com/Gamecube-XBox-Controller-Adapter--favorite-PC/dp/B000ND3XXA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1400779710&sr=8-2&keywords=usb gamecube adapter

The first one, some of them mention issues with L/R Buttons for example, that makes me unsure of which one i should buy, because where i live, i cant find gcube adapters, and im willing to order it, im from Colombia btw, so this is a crucial decision for me!

So i want you guys to give me some feedback of which one can run SSBM almost perfectly, that i can use to practice such things like (Wavedashing, L-cancelling) without any issues or too much latency.

Regards,
Moo

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
The first one is great, L/R problems have been fixed for a long time. If you still have any problems with the light shield, you can fix it by adjusting the Dolphin controller settings.

Dolphin has inherent lag, though. It will always lag much less (very close to 0 in comparison) when you play on a real Gamecube connected to a CRT TV or monitor.

Moo-

Smash Rookie
So you mean any adapter will be ok? Or at least from those two, which one would you suggest me? Thanks for answering btw!

Kitsune91

Lone Smasher
3DS FC
4270-1611-3292
I use the adapter in the first link and have had no issues with it at all. It's very responsive and I don't have any complaints so I would definitely recommend you that one. For the price, it's a pretty solid deal. If you do decide to get it and need help setting it up, let me know! :3

Moo-

Smash Rookie
Thanks Kitsune! For sure, i just ordered the first one, looks like a better deal. When it arrives to my house, i try writing you a message for setting it up, thank you so much!

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
I know you've already ordered the first one, but I'm going to respond for anyone else reading this thread wondering about USB adapters.

I have the first adapter you posted and it's okay, but it has very noticeable input lag. I've heard it stated that Dolphin has lag by itself, but with the PlayStation USB adapter I was using previously, it was not noticeable to me at all. However, with the GCN adapter I have had some problems. I was able to tweak it a little bit to get it to be more responsive, but it still has noticeable lag compared to my PlayStation controller.

On the other hand, I've heard that the Raphnet adapter (a little more expensive and not on Amazon last I checked) has zero input lag and is generally better. However, it only has one controller port.

Moo-

Smash Rookie
Yep Makkun, i used to play with a Playstation Controller and i didnt notice any kind of input lag, thats why it sounds strange for me that gc adapters are having troubles. Yup i already ordered the first one, let's just pray and set it up well, thanks for your opinion.

Kitsune91

Lone Smasher
3DS FC
4270-1611-3292
I'll be ordering a Raphnet adapter soon to test that one out as well. I'm curious as to how big of a difference it really is so I'll share my input once I am able to do so.

Moo-

Smash Rookie
Be sure to upload your results Kitsune :D! ill be waiting

JoeTango

It Takes Two
I use the adapter in the 2nd link and I don't really notice an input lag at all, my friend has the adapter in the 1st link and I can notice a bit of lag, but he doesn't notice it at all. So it'll probably be OK :-P

Massive

Smash Champion
I have both the Raphnet adapter and the 3-in-1 Mayflash adapter.

The raphnet adapter has very low latency, and uses generic joystick drivers. It is better all around.

The mayflash adapter has some sketchy chinese drivers that occasionally bluescreen several of my machines when using it. It does not always work.

Upke

Smash Journeyman
I have the Mayflash 2 port adapter. It works swell for me. I notice more lag when I play on the computer than on a CRT but I don't have any other sort of controller, so it could simply be Dolphin/my computer monitor.

The Raphnet one does have lag, but I've heard it's lower than the Mayflash. There is a lagless adapter in the works though.

LoneSalBug

Smash Rookie
Kitsune did you end up getting the raphnet adapter? What did you think of it?
I want to order an adapter but any sort of lag I think would totally ruin playing Melee, especially with stuff like L-cancelling/Wavedashing.
I've already had bad experiences with a tiny bit of input lag when playing fighting games on my HDTV. Combos that I can do in my sleep just don't work.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Did somebody make a driver for it?
Yes, there is a driver for it. The nintendo adapter is ideal because newer builds of Dolphin have native support for it. I've heard the raphnet is less laggy than the mayflash but I use a mayflash and it feels fine (the first one on your list). If they have shoulder button issues then they didn't config it right. It's a common mistake. You should be okay with any of those 3. I haven't really seen anyone use the magic joy box thing.

Top Bottom