• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can Alph/Olimar handle fast characters?

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
So I main Alph and for the most part I feel he is pretty good but anytime I go against sonic,fox and sometimes falco it feels as if he has no way to properly fight against them mainly because A) his forward Smash has lag at the end giving the opponent time to simply get back to murcking you again. And B) due to Alph only having 3 pikmin at a given time often times they will get killed and then you are left without anyway to attack or defend(from a distance or with any real impact anyway). Basically I'm wondering if anyone knows a way to get rid of that lag at the end or any other strategy's to use in these kind of situations.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
So I main Alph and for the most part I feel he is pretty good but anytime I go against sonic,fox and sometimes falco it feels as if he has no way to properly fight against them mainly because A) his forward Smash has lag at the end giving the opponent time to simply get back to murcking you again. And B) due to Alph only having 3 pikmin at a given time often times they will get killed and then you are left without anyway to attack or defend(from a distance or with any real impact anyway). Basically I'm wondering if anyone knows a way to get rid of that lag at the end or any other strategy's to use in these kind of situations.
Don't throw out moves just randomly, you have to be smart about it. Power shielding is a pretty good way to beat fast characters approaches as well since you can act out of shield. If they're running at you blindly you can run back and pivot grab or fsmash. It's just really important to know which of your options are fast enough to act in each interaction with the opponent.

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
Don't throw out moves just randomly, you have to be smart about it. Power shielding is a pretty good way to beat fast characters approaches as well since you can act out of shield. If they're running at you blindly you can run back and pivot grab or fsmash. It's just really important to know which of your options are fast enough to act in each interaction with the opponent.
Thanks that's actually helped so far. I play a really offenisve Alph which usually works really well 90% of time sense people dont really expect that. I can usually just wreck them with ease but as soon as i started fighting Fox and Sonic players I realized that due to the lag playing offensive didn't really work so I just played a really awkward passive agreesive game. But power shielding and pivioitng been helping a lot(granted I've only played 1 fox and 1 sonic sense you commented but I had a lot more control of the fights now)

Last edited:

IcyLight

Smash Lord
Pivot grab every approach they have to offer. I actually find fox and sheik to be my best matches. I'd be more afraid of a good megaman than a fast character.

Spam side-b, making sure to keep at least 1 pikmin on you. Make sure to land those whites. It's hard to knock pikmin off of your character in this game, so you can wrack up a lot of damage with it. When they approach, just pivot grab. Usually uthrow if they are fast fallers for stronger combos.

Also, d-tilt is incredible vs. fast characters. It can knock them out of their aerials and dash attacks (if they approach via. sh fair or something like some sheiks).

just be patient and land some solid grabs and the game is yours :)

Last edited:

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
Adding on to what Myran and IcyLight said, your jab is another good option if they get in on your personal space. Like Dtilt, jab pops out very fast and gives you a bit of breathing room to something, like plucking more Pikmin if needed or maybe following up with a dash grab -> follow-up. Throwing purple Pikmin is also an option to make space, since your side B has very little starting lag or endlag.

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
Pivot grab every approach they have to offer. I actually find fox and sheik to be my best matches. I'd be more afraid of a good megaman than a fast character.

Spam side-b, making sure to keep at least 1 pikmin on you. Make sure to land those whites. It's hard to knock pikmin off of your character in this game, so you can wrack up a lot of damage with it. When they approach, just pivot grab. Usually uthrow if they are fast fallers for stronger combos.

Also, d-tilt is incredible vs. fast characters. It can knock them out of their aerials and dash attacks (if they approach via. sh fair or something like some sheiks).

just be patient and land some solid grabs and the game is yours :)
Ya mega man's top spinner can just wreck your pikmin with ease.

Solomon

Smash Rookie
So far power shielding, being patient and not random throwing my pikmin is helping me against sonic but boy it that match up hard. Overall against fast characters is don't throw out moves randomly and try to punish when they whiff.

Last edited:

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
So far power shielding, being patient and not random throwing my pikmin is helping me against sonic but boy it that match up hard. Overall against fast characters is don't throw out moves randomly and try to punish when they whiff.
Now granted I play a very agro Alph so I might have a very different playstyle then you but what I've done to help me is to just do all you can to just push them off the stage and just spike them mastering the down Smash and the timing on dodging is key. Also similar to mega man its kinda of a waste to latch your pikmin to sonic so its better to just focus on smashing him of the map and using your aerials/spiking him. Hoped that helped.

Solomon

Smash Rookie
Now granted I play a very agro Alph so I might have a very different playstyle then you but what I've done to help me is to just do all you can to just push them off the stage and just spike them mastering the down Smash and the timing on dodging is key. Also similar to mega man its kinda of a waste to latch your pikmin to sonic so its better to just focus on smashing him of the map and using your aerials/spiking him. Hoped that helped.
Ahh ok thank you, also I'm also a very agro Olimar but for some reason I find myself trying to slow down the match when I go against sheik and sonic.

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
Ahh ok thank you, also I'm also a very agro Olimar but for some reason I find myself trying to slow down the match when I go against sheik and sonic.
The thing with those characters is the worst thing you can do is go with there rhythm because the speed they play at is really hard to keep up with but at the same time breaking the rhythm is also extremely hard because you have to apply perfect pressure without backing down but like I stated above once you master the timing on dodging sonic players fall apart shiek just comes down to skill v skill.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
Sonic is a very tough matchup. Wait for him to approach in his ball (when it's grounded) and you can d-tilt him out of it. It will clank and put him directly in front of you. He can move here, but if you d-tilt twice it will knock him out and then hit him up! :D

Solomon

Smash Rookie
Sonic is a very tough matchup. Wait for him to approach in his ball (when it's grounded) and you can d-tilt him out of it. It will clank and put him directly in front of you. He can move here, but if you d-tilt twice it will knock him out and then hit him up! :D
YOOOOO! d-tilt is the anti sonic button, you stop so much of his bs, thanks bruh.

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I had to face a really good Fox the other day in FG, and multiple times I found myself without Pikmin and being stuck in the air without them. Every time I tried to land he would run up and dash attack. After a few punishes I decided to use N-Air when approaching the ground but it doesn't knock him far enough so he punishes me again. Eventually I make it to the ground and I am able to clutch a win by gimping him. What should I do if caught in a situation like this again?

Top Bottom