• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Camping with Ike?

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman
Just because a character doesn't have projectiles doesn't mean they can't camp. (ie: Marth) So the question is:

Can Ike be effective while maintaining an extremely defensive position?

Obviously, you can't camp projectile-based characters, but what about rushdown characters? Jab out of sheild is retardedly good and should be abused. Counter isn't too bad to apply, I suppose.

Thoughts?

Boon :o

Smash Journeyman
I'd say if an Ike was versing against a person with no projectiles, it'd be pretty nice to play defensive, as that's mainly how I would start battles vs people I haven't known too well.
Most of people I've fought who played chars without projectiles are either super aggressive, or play a very slow game. The good thing about fighting people who play very aggressive is that most of the time you can read them easily and punish them after they come after you, shield grab them, or do something counter to their strategy. Against people who play a slow game, you would just have to approach a little more, or do some mind games into making them think you're going to do something, then punish them, but there's not much advice I can think of vs people who both play defensively >.>

__V

Smash Journeyman
You can only play aggressively against characters slower than Ike in the first place...

XACE-K

Smash Master
-Against characters with projectiles: No

-Against characters who are faster than him without projectiles: No

-Against characters who are equally as fast or slower than him: Possibly

MxGm

Smash Cadet
I'd say that camping with Ike is a bad idea. You should be aggresive when using Ike, but you should also learn to keep a distance from your enemy.

lajackson07

Smash Apprentice
I think Ike can be used defensively. He has a counter. Sooner or later, someone is going to catch on so you have to mix the aggression with the..... (passiveness?).... non-aggression. To be defensive, you have to be able to attack within your spacing. Ike simply can't do that because he attacks too slow. With that said, you can't JUST camp with Ike.

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
Ike has some decent defensive maneuvers... Jump backward and fair seems to do the trick most of the time...

Fire-emblem

Smash Rookie
All you need is a projectile item (such as ray gun or star rod), counter and you can camp

Monjula

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdrianMonjula
3DS FC
5215-1057-8129
I dunno guys...This thread needs more lolinz.

All you need is a projectile item (such as ray gun or star rod), counter and you can camp
Found it! (Reason? Because you don't use items in tourney matches.)

Ike can camp...But it'd be a pure waste of talent. With his reach for all attacks, ability to close gaps in a rush, and pure strength, it'd be nothing but pure failure to camp.

Also, Ike needs to be played defensively most of the time, but that doesn't mean you can't rush. Basically, find an opening and drill 50% damage into it before they can counter.

...Once I find a sure fire way on how to do this, I'll let you know. Until then, look at the stickies, and try to post useful info you find there, because it's more likely to be seen. >.> Not saying that you shouldn't make discoveries and post, just that there is a lot better chance of things happening with your technique if you post there.

Top Bottom