• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

C-Stick Conspiracy

CraneStyle

Smash Cadet
Yea I honestly feel the reason they made the c-stick smashes in brawl inconsistent is because Nintendo wanted to give ppl who are using Wiimotes a chance but that's what I think because even offline the c-stick only works 90% of the time and online only 60%(this had screwed me alot when I try to go for the death blow and my c-stick dies on me)But like I said I don't know if this reason is true or not but I really do feel this way about the c-stick.

WR3K

Smash Ace
woah, someone else has noticed the random c-stick occurances where it doesnt register any cstick hits?

**** NNINTENDO

norigantz

Smash Rookie
Oh Phew I thought it was just my controller...

does this happen with the classic controller too o.O? ... I hope it isn't hard to adjust to one...

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
That's a terrible solution, Henners, the c-stick is incredibly useful.

To OP, by inconsistent, I assume you refer to how sometimes you'll be pressing the c-stick and the move won't register, right? It just seems to ignore you? This problem was brought up a couple days ago, and there seemed to be some mild consensus that the problem is remedied if you allow the c-stick to return to the neutral position after every move. If you do not allow the c-stick to return to its neutral position, the next c-stick move will not be registered.

I do not know for certain that this is 100% the cause of the c-sticks apparent insensitivity, but since this was mentioned, I have been careful to let the c-stick return to neutral as often as possible after performing attacks with the c-stick, and the problem seems less evident, so it would seem this is at least partly, if not wholly, responsible for the problem.

I would suggest you start training yourself to do this, and hopefully you will find the problem lessens and eventually disappears.

Ghoom

Smash Cadet
It is strange about the c-stick not responding. I've noticed something. I recently swiched my stick to my tilts and i've only been playing on it for a couple days (very happy btw, I main diddy and rarely use any of his smashes and the tilt-stick gives a huge boost to dash attack. It allows you to do the attack instantly from a run. just run and hit it in any direction) And so far it has fired off every time. This leads me to belive that maybe to execute smashes with he stick you need to apply the same "smash" motion to the stick. I tried it and seems to work, not sure thought, this is all speculation on my part.

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman

To OP, by inconsistent, I assume you refer to how sometimes you'll be pressing the c-stick and the move won't register, right? It just seems to ignore you? This problem was brought up a couple days ago, and there seemed to be some mild consensus that the problem is remedied if you allow the c-stick to return to the neutral position after every move. If you do not allow the c-stick to return to its neutral position, the next c-stick move will not be registered.

I do not know for certain that this is 100% the cause of the c-sticks apparent insensitivity, but since this was mentioned, I have been careful to let the c-stick return to neutral as often as possible after performing attacks with the c-stick, and the problem seems less evident, so it would seem this is at least partly, if not wholly, responsible for the problem.

I would suggest you start training yourself to do this, and hopefully you will find the problem lessens and eventually disappears.

yup thats exactly it!

i just tried it, if you dont quickly return it to its neutral position before executing another C-stick smash, it just wont work.
:)

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
I don't have any experience with the classic controller, but I have not seen anyone mention this problem with the classic controller. That's not to say it definitely doesn't happen, but I do not believe so.

Even so, it's not too much work to simply retrain yourself to release the c-stick briefly after every move, and it still facilitates very quick successions of moves. It registers the neutral position as quickly as should be expected, it just needs to hit neutral before it starts taking input again.

iharfor

Smash Journeyman
Well, I use the flick method of using the cstick to allow it to recenter, but sometimes it still doesn't respond, my theory is that the flick method produces a rebound effect. I flick up, it attempts to recenter but over shoots its center and now is pointing downward, and Im thinking that I try to use the cstick when its in its rebound instead of center which is causing it to not work. Since then, I have I'm not flicking and try to minimize the rebound and it seems to be working.

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
I use the Classic controller and yeah...I have no idea wtf your talking about...all my commands respond perfectly with the c-stick. Maybe it's just me but yeah, I have never experienced this.

WR3K

Smash Ace
at the same time, alot less ppl use the CC then the GCC, so the problem will be more evident. i noticed it, and then tried jsut c sticking by myself. every attack responds perfectly.

it is only in the heat of battle when my clumsy fingers start to spasm out on the controller that the cstick does this.

i too think, that it must hit nuetral in order to do the next attack

Kamano

Smash Journeyman
It's definitely at least partially to blame on the C-stick not being put back to the neutral position. Why the functionality of this was changed from melee, I have no idea, because obviously many of us have noticed the difference.

That said, I have in fact tried C-sticking on my tried and true wavebird, and also on a practically brand new (used maybe 5 times since I bought it originally with the GCN) wired GCN controller (first party), and they suffer from the same issue.

I've been using the Classic Controller for most of the week that I've had Brawl, and as others have said, I've almost never had the C-stick issue with it. It might be in the way the controller input is registered, or a slight physical difference in the C-stick designs themselves, but either way, it's far less evident in the classic controller.

Mama

Smash Ace
I only use the C-Stick for some aerials and item throwing so I haven't really noticed any issues. Though I may start using it more often when I get better with my Ness and Lucas. If its really an issue with it going back to the neutral position then I'd say just practice and make perfect.

It makes sense since now the C-Stick has more uses than before (albeit sometimes unnecessary) so in order to work with the buffer system they may have changed it a bit.

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
C-Sticking? What is this? I B-Stick!

Being serious, I've never noticed this problem, and I use the Classic Controller, if that helps anyone.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
And to think I bought a new controller because I thought my C-stick was defective.

Of course, now it makes sense that that twiddling the C-stick to try to get it working again wouldn't work.

This change in functionality just seems ridiculously superfluous.

Geist

Smash Master
hmmm wierd. I've never heard of this until now. Is it only happenning over online? I don't seem to have much of a problem. But then again, I've encountered some wieeeerd stuff online.

DSM01

Smash Apprentice
Yes, I've encountered a similar problem. When I used my Wavebird, I could C stick normally. However, when used my friend's old Gamecube controller (non-wireless), the C stick never registered. Needless to say, without the C stick, I got *****. But about reseting the C stick to neutral position, I didn't need to, so I think that Brawl only has a problem with the old non-wireless controllers.

CraneStyle

Smash Cadet

Well I'll give you guys an example,
I'm Fox and me and my opponent go at it then I come at him with a hyphen Usmash(works) then we go at it for another minute keep in mind I never touched the c-stick so it's completely neutral then he's about to hit me with whatever then I roll dodge behind him about to c-stick left(doesn't works) then he smacks me from behind lol because I was caught with my pants down from the failed c-stick counter.

IDK I think I might just rely on not using my c-stick at all for the time being but I'm still not gonna switch from my 1st party NGC controller I'm too used to it and I could never see myself using any other controller type even the CC.

Lucan Desmond

Smash Rookie
I've never had this happen to me at all.... and although I don't use the C-Stick that much, the kids I live with (all of which aren't very good at Smash) just jam on the c-stick constantly... like its their only form of attack... they don't even touch the A or B buttons, just slam on the c-stick. None of them have ever complained of it not working, so maybe theres something else going on here?

norigantz

Smash Rookie
This actually has happened to me SEVERAL times. Only with Fsmash though.

I'll attempt a forward smash with the c-stick and nothing will happen, and then I'll just keep mashing left on the c-stick and nothing will happen. So I sit there and think about it... then I try smashing again (gently) and it works!!

I thought it might have something to do with smashing the C-stick to make it work (or not smashing it...) ... I'm pretty sure I let it fall back to neutral several times before smashing it back but that COULD be the issue here o.O? Maybe I wasn't letting it fall back enough.

I'll mess around with it some more and maybe post some results.

mattdude

Smash Rookie
no way! aw glad to know i'm not alone. i thought it was my controller. thanks for the advice.

Kiwi.Ko

Smash Rookie
This is exactly what i found out today, just let the stick go back to the neutral spot before doing another smash, it isn't too hard to get use to.

PredictablyStubborn

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing with the classic controller (I like the R and L buttons better). I've had no issues doing aerials with the c-stick.

If anything I think that Brawl has improved on c-stick usage, since you can now do dash attacks with it.

Kamano

Smash Journeyman
This is certainly something that some people won't ever notice, and some will. Depends on how you move your thumb on the C stick, silly as that sounds. Some people are in the habit of returning the stick to neutral naturally, while others will tap it in a direction several times without returning it (example. Wolf's Fsmash if you were to hit a low dmg opponent with it twice, or some char's Dsmashes).

Again, Classic Controller has far less of an issue with this, and this problem DOES affect both wired and wireless GCN controllers. It's just a programming change in how it registers smashes. Odd though, since from a little playing around with the good ol menu screen tilt feature, the C stick appears to register at least FOUR levels of input in each direction. So in Melee, if you moved the stick back enough that it went over the boundary for the last level of input and back, it would register, since it could see the change. In Brawl, it doesn't cooperate the same way.

Ryven

Smash Cadet
I've had the c-stick, while set to smashes, cause tilts instead. I'm not sure what I'm doing to cause it.

Could this be related?

marthownsxd

Smash Apprentice
I think spamming the C-Stick excessively especially while already doing a smash attack already causes to null the C-stick for a certain period.(Maybe 2 or 3 seconds) Personally it really ticks me off, when I'm online and my moves don't register so I excessively tap the C-Stick

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
I've had the c-stick, while set to smashes, cause tilts instead. I'm not sure what I'm doing to cause it.

Could this be related?
No, this is unrelated. A different new c-stick quirk is responsible.

If you hold the same direction on the control stick and the c-stick, you tilt instead of smash. It was done, presumably, to provide an easier way to tilt for people who had trouble with it.

ToRn_PaTh

Smash Apprentice
It only happens with two of my gamecube controllers. With the other two, it works almost all the time.. For some of the older controllers, you might have to direct the C-Stick with more pressure because it just doesn't register. It's a controller problem, imo.. I suggest buying a new gamecube or classic controller?

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
You have to actually mash the c-stick all the way, you can't just flick it anymore, which I'm sure is the problem half of you are having.

DayOldBagel

Smash Rookie
lol, i thought there was a problem with my wavebird...i was about to buy a new one. good thing i found this topic in time.

keeper

Smash Champion
I'll jump on the wagon and say that I've never had my controller not respond for a reason that wasn't lag involved.

Top Bottom