• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Byleth Competitive Thread (Post-Release Edition)

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys think of Ftilt? I don't have a great opinion on this move. It's fine, in paper, but also nothing out of the ordinary. Frame 8-9, passable arc and cooldown. It just...doesn't do a lot, for me. I can see it as a less commital option next to something like Dash Attack, and you can probably catch rolls with it. U-Tilt has very similiar horizontal range, and combos a lot better. And if I want to retreat and Ftilt as a defensive option, isn't it basically the same (or better) if I just jump back and Fair/bair?

Feels a lot like Corrin's Ftilt, and me nor any other Corrin really seemed to ever use that move. The people who I notice it use it the most are begginers who just want to throw out a fast move for the sake of it...

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
What do you guys think of Ftilt? I don't have a great opinion on this move. It's fine, in paper, but also nothing out of the ordinary. Frame 8-9, passable arc and cooldown. It just...doesn't do a lot, for me. I can see it as a less commital option next to something like Dash Attack, and you can probably catch rolls with it. U-Tilt has very similiar horizontal range, and combos a lot better. And if I want to retreat and Ftilt as a defensive option, isn't it basically the same (or better) if I just jump back and Fair/bair?
I really like F-Tilt, but then again I was one of the only people who used Robin's F-Tilt on a regular basis which this is basically a direct upgrade of. It is very much a read based move with a very small reward, but low overall risk. It's good when you want to deter your opponent from approaching, especially because you can follow up with a F-Air quite easily. For this reason it is a good hitbox to throw out there when you are slowly inching forward yourself.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Yeah, it's just a spacing move, to me. It doesn't have any reward besides stage control, but the threat of it can make it harder for opponents to approach. I think saying Utilt has similar horizontal reach is underselling its range a fair bit - it has almost the same reach as Fair, but faster, without all the setup of needing to jump, making it so Byleth demands respecting their horizontal reach whether they're on foot or on the air. Utilt and Dtilt obviously get much better reward but since Byleth can't get in too well and doesn't want to be too close most of the time, Ftilt is a good way to try to get opponents to come in from above for Utilt to catch them, and Dtilt can be hard to fish for as the slowest normal in the kit, requiring baits since it's too slow to punish a lot of stuff even on parry.

It doesn't quite bear comparing to Corrin or Robin's moves because those characters have markedly superior options for the role. Projectiles, more conventional sword aerial arcs that cover different space, and the former's Ftilt is even their slowest normal while having a fast grounded Dtilt with good horizontal reach that starts combos besides, unlike Byleth's kit. If Byleth could force aerial approaches with an actual projectile they might not get much mileage out of Ftilt but currently the best they can do with Failnaught is bluffing with jump cancelling.

Last edited:

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
This set is from the weekly of Friday the 27th, LR4. I was looking forward to seeing the set, but I overstimated the way I played a bit. Game 1 is clearly the weakest of the link, and there are numerous ocassions throughout the set where I'd do things that seem out of place (i.e Fair instead of Uair, a couple of times)... most of these where inputs, until I later realize my controller wasn't working properly. Among other things, I also seemed to have trouble hitting Diddy Kong with Fair a couple of times, at least in Game 1.

Excuses aside, anyone else is free to take a look and come up with their own conclusions:

I was liking my performance Game 3, at least until the last stock or so. Desperation for the kill was clearly rubbing off on me.

Top Bottom