• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bye Brawl, Hi there Smash4. Regular Streaming?!? Cap is Better than Iron Man

drogoth232

Smash Lord
osnap, forgot to include current progress on models

I'm transitioning to higher poly models and keeping a low quality version as well for people who want it.

Isaac:

working on a sword that I like. Still looking up designs.

Lyn:

still need to add detail to her model, so she's still "low poly". Made the ropes on her waist thing actual ropes. Going to see if there's any other detail (other than cloth detail) I can add before sculpting detail on (like Isaac's scarf, for example).

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Is sculpting like super vertexing?
I completely missed this, my b.
Eh, you could say it is. But it leads to a more organic result. 3ds max is limited when it comes to sculpting, but for details such as Isaac's scarf, it turned out really well. I'll probably also do it with Lyn's skirt thing as well. But the intricate details such as engravings and whatnot are best done in dedicated programs such as ZBrush. You also have programs such as Blender (Jack of all, master of none, open source and free, steep learning curve because shortcut based) and Maya (Official, industry standard, closed source, $$$, student license makes it free, relatively easy to learn) that also have such functionalities. I could also include Cinema4d and some others, but I don't use them myself, so I can't really include them.

That being said, sculpting is really fun to do if you know what you're doing. You can get a stripped down version of ZBrush known as Sculptris for free. Very fun to use, dynamic tessellation is top tier.

Usually what you'll do (for every game) is sculpt the detail on and then bake normal maps coupled with all the other maps that you'll need (alpha maps, specs, etc). Then you paint on the model/make a diffuse map and then apply the normal map (depending on the game engine). Assuming I'm still making this for brawl, I'd have to bake the normal map onto the diffuse (in a similar way that we do it for Smash4 models for brawl) and would get a similar result.

ANYWAYS (that was a much longer explanation than I expected...) there's a new Unofficial WIP preview of Black Shadow on my twitter.

Ya'll should check it out.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Couldn't think of any huge vertex edits to make, so I decided to make GX Falcon.

3ds max mental ray rendering is weeeeeird.

I think I'll work on Protoman next.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Reposting stuff I've worked on. Especially a new render for Falcon.
Renders are a little dark because 3ds max is confusing.
FZero GX Falcon

Captain America Falcon (Boygos, you watching?)

Shield on his back is textured with the proper colors.

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Captain America falcon has been updated with new Normal maps (along with a picture of his shield)

and a new vertex edit (because he's similar to GX Falcon). Blood Falcon. Also has edited normal maps.

Javln Mastr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Modernlykos
3DS FC
3823-8516-1685
I know this has probably been asked too many times, but what methods do we have to do to get these sort of textures in the game? As far as I know I haven't seen any word of this, plus people probably aren't releasing any textures to use as of now but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Nanobuds

Smash Ace
I know this has probably been asked too many times, but what methods do we have to do to get these sort of textures in the game? As far as I know I haven't seen any word of this, plus people probably aren't releasing any textures to use as of now but I thought I'd ask anyway.
Its really complicated and only 1 person can do it right now.

They inject our models for us, Large_Leader and I can't do it ourselves.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Its really complicated and only 1 person can do it right now.
I think two people can do it, in total.
Very complicated, requires a wiiU that's on 5.3.2 so that disqualifies almost everyone who isn't following the WiiU modding scene.

Stupid friend updated to 5.5.0. Was not worth it at all. Here's to hoping that 5.5.0 doesn't end up being vaporware.

Juken

Smash Ace
Can't you still mod it into the 3DS version (with the models of course being optimized)?

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Can't you still mod it into the 3DS version (with the models of course being optimized)?
Models would have to be remade from scratch. Along with re-uving and render to texture, it's not something im willing to spend that much time on.

Juken

Smash Ace
Captain America falcon has been updated with new Normal maps (along with a picture of his shield)

and a new vertex edit (because he's similar to GX Falcon). Blood Falcon. Also has edited normal maps.

Well, it should be noted that Blood Falcon looks a bit different in some areas. Note the holster and eyes. The nipple buttons, the belt, the boots, the gun holster, and the yellow tone of his scarf.
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/fzero/images/3/32/013.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20071107003859

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
I didn't want to edit the textures too much because I want the colors to stay consistent with what Smash4 already has. I could make it darker in general, but eh. I'll see.

Nipple buttons are most likely not gonna get changed, textures are too small and fixing normal maps for them isn't worth it imo.

Same thing about color of the scarf and belt, but I'll take a look at the normal maps and the textures themselves to see if it's worth the change.

I knew about the gun holster, but I was iffy about it after removing it on Captain America Falcon. Waist looks really empty without it. I'll see how he looks with and without it.

Eyes I will definitely 100% not edit no matter what anyone says.

Grimdeath

Smash Cadet
NNID
Grimdeath
I think two people can do it, in total.
Very complicated, requires a wiiU that's on 5.3.2 so that disqualifies almost everyone who isn't following the WiiU modding scene.

Stupid friend updated to 5.5.0. Was not worth it at all. Here's to hoping that 5.5.0 doesn't end up being vaporware.
It's existing a emulator called cemu. that's the first official wii u emulator on PC. Maybe you can use it to test mods. I hope it will work with mods. But still in development and has a lot of bud as right now

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
It's existing a emulator called cemu. that's the first official wii u emulator on PC. Maybe you can use it to test mods. I hope it will work with mods. But still in development and has a lot of bud as right now
I find the usage of the word "official" very... Curious.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
Still a long way to go before it becomes anything remotely playable, and the fact that (for some reason I don't understand at all) it's closed-source just won't help at all.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Still a long way to go before it becomes anything remotely playable, and the fact that (for some reason I don't understand at all) it's closed-source just won't help at all.
I think there's an open source version or something. But like what Draco said, long way to go before it becomes really playable. Plus, I doubt my laptop (as powerful as it is) would be able to handle it. You need a pretty good computer just to handle Dolphin, and we all know how unimpressive the Wii/GC was/were v:

all ur mod r belong to us
no pylons 4 u

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Ken animation for fun

Run animation for Cloud, practicing run cycles. They're hard.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
I'll start streaming slightly regularly during the upcoming week (yay spring break).

First thing's first: My first stream will be making a custom model from a box, so if you're interested make sure to pop in.
I'll also be animating random things as well depending on my mood, so be sure to tune in and say hi.

Link to stream: https://picarto.tv/LargeLeader

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Super WIP Idle with my own small twist before the overhead swing:

Might just remove the overhead swing at the end for the idle, it looks weird >.>

Cross Slash Start:

Cross slash is much more closer to being completed. Just a few more adjustments for that, at least.

Juken

Smash Ace
Is there any other kind of forum or place to follow Smash 4 modding? Smashboards doesn't seem to have a Smash 4 modding section and this seems like the only really productive Smash 4 modding thread here.

Top Bottom