• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Buffering Sliding Pivot out of SHAD

Fugu15

Smash Cadet
Just thought I would throw out something fun out there. This is really nothing new but I haven't really seen it used too much and it looks cool.

Try buffering a sliding pivot grab in to a short hop air dodge. The grab box actually extends quite a bit and it has been working on people a lot cause nobody ever expects it. You can pick which way you slide and it gives you fun options for mindgames people are not ready for.

It's a bit tricky, but quite easy after 5min of practice. I find it to be a fairly effective mix up.

You can also buffer this out of most of wolf's moves, maybe some options there as well.

Choice

Smash Champion
do you have any videos of buffering a boost pivot being used? i know i've seen fox and falco do this but they have better boost pivots than wolf.

Fugu15

Smash Cadet
no, it's exactly the same as doing falco's but timing is a bit harder. It's good to learn it real well with falco first. I can show in game if anyone wants. No way to record.

Fugu15

Smash Cadet
well yes =) he slides further and a bit faster. But wolf slides quite fast as well and the distance is significant.

Choice

Smash Champion
i guess its a neat mix up for when you crossover. i'll mess around with this on friday.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
When Wolf boost pivot grabs you know he did it cause he starts the voice up of his dash attack. Goes farther then his real pivot grab.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
oh, i can't really tell the distance difference too much. i dont think its really taht big is it?

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
It's pretty big actually, his boost pivot grab. I do it sometimes. When Z is attack and Y is grab. It makes it hella lot easier to do.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
i usually do it by just pressing shield and hitting the cstick in the opposite direction. that's a much more reliable way actually

Fugu15

Smash Cadet
forward then back down cstick block almost simultaneously. Most consistent way.

Fugu15

Smash Cadet
The sound he makes is not always the case. You can beat the voice by a frame if you do it perfectly, however when the voice goes off means you did it right as well.

_Kain_

Smash Champion
Um...isn't the best way to know is jus to check if his feet slide when u do it?

Choice

Smash Champion
you can also tell by the look that wolf has on his face afterwards. he smiles when he gets the boost.

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
wolf can't smile, he's always trying too hard to grimace and be menacing

what possible boons could you get from this whole pivot thing? just a longer grab range essentially?

Choice

Smash Champion
no dude, he smiles. trust me.

the boost pivot covers 2 options instead of 1: side step and shield. it may also just be advantageous to be throwing in the opposite direction depending on the position you're in, sometimes its not. its also just another mix up i guess?

_Kain_

Smash Champion
its sexy therefore approved of so everybody learn it **** it!!

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
Clarification please.

The pivot grab boost from canceling dash attack doesn't give me any extra distance when compared to a normal sliding pivot grab (dash grab and immediately flick the analog in opposite direction, different from dash turnaround grab). Am I missing something here?

From what I can see, the only advantage of the dash attack version is that it's easier to move in the opposite direction Wolf is facing as it doesn't need a buffered turnaround.

Choice

Smash Champion
dash grabbing and then flicking in the opposite direction makes you boost pivot?

castorpollux

Smash Champion
Clarification please.

The pivot grab boost from canceling dash attack doesn't give me any extra distance when compared to a normal sliding pivot grab (dash grab and immediately flick the analog in opposite direction, different from dash turnaround grab). Am I missing something here?

From what I can see, the only advantage of the dash attack version is that it's easier to move in the opposite direction Wolf is facing as it doesn't need a buffered turnaround.
@_@ this is exactly what i've been saying. i didnt notice any more distance gained from dash attack cancel pivot grabbing either

Choice

Smash Champion
i thought you meant dashing and then grabbing in the opposite direction. i never heard of anyone dash grabbing and then flicking the opposite direction.

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
There are two versions of the pivot grab that do NOT involve dash attack canceling. One version Wolf dashes away, stops, then pivot grabs. You input the turnaround before the grab. The other he pivot grabs while sliding. You input the turnaround during or immediately after the grab (the latter is more consistent for me, might be my controller though). The latter version appears to have the same distance as the dash attack canceled version.

Fugu15

Smash Cadet
They are both almost the exact same distance (at least not noticeable difference). Fairly easy to buffer the regular version as well. I personally find the dash attack cancel much more consistent. I see no difference with a running start, but from a non moving position or buffering, wolf slides only half way way too many times. Could just be lack of skill on my part. Can anyone do like 10-15 of these in a row without starting to run (stationary position)?

Dash cancel just feels much more in control for spacing and direction and while wolf can cheat and use both versions, other chars that have it can't.

Comes down to personal preference I suppose.

Choice

Smash Champion
i think you cant buffer the one without the dash attack. at the least, its more difficult caz i cant do it, though i play on a laggy tv.

Top Bottom