• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Buffer Float Out of Shield?

CAPOEI

Smash Rookie
Hi guys,

Brand new peach here. I've been having an...interesting time getting used to shieldstun, and as a result, miss a lot of my FC nairs out of shield, especially against moves like Fox's up-smash.

So I got to thinking about buffering float somehow. It turns out, you can! While in shield stun:
-Release shield. (optional)
-C-stick up.
-Control-stick down (or diagonally downward).
-Hold Y or X.

This is less useful for punishing say, Shiek's dash attack or other quick hits, but a lot more useful for reliably punishing Fox's up-smash. That said, I don't actually use it yet.

So was this known before I found out about it? Do you use it? Why or why not? If so, do you have any tips about where to put your fingers to make it easier?

Thanks!

Jethrotex

Smash Journeyman
It's pretty good if you don't know the timing for getting out of your shield vs certain moves. But yeah, if you know the timing then you can fc a lot of stuff out of shield to punish even the quick moves.

Although you can do it with the buffer, I just find it tough to reposition your hands after that.

Last edited:

Magnawolf

Smash Apprentice
Woah, I've never thought about buffering jumps out of shield on shield stun, this seems like it could be useful. I'm gonna toy around with it sometime. But like the above poster said, it's probably easier to just know the timings for shield stun.

Last edited:

Composeur

Smash Ace
Buffering the jump with the C-stick is nice for when you're on a platform above an utilting Marth but otherwise I'm inclined to agree with others that it's pretty physically awkward unless you're using the claw grip (I don't--that **** can't be good for your hands long-term).

tauKhan

Smash Lord
How are you using float without clawing ? I always claw when floating, how else can you retain aerial control while aerialing in float? Also clawing position is actually quite natural for hand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom