• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Buff, Nerf, or happy medium?

Smash Ace
wel all know that Pika was nerfed in Melee. sure he played halfway decently still (unlike Ness and Kirby) do you think they should SSB64 him again, nerf him (you will be shot) or find a happy medium?

Ipersonally say 'over-buff', but thinking within reality, let's just go with happy medium.

=2007=

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
return it to its SSB days and make him up there in the tier list...if not middle tier...

Rakath

Smash Ace
So far Pikachu is looking buffed by Melee's standard. Definitely outta the low tier, need more than a 4-day demo to really rate him. But hardly a bad placement right now. I'm thinking medium-buff.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
I am hoping that Pikachu is as good as he was in SSB 64. He lost so much power and "talent" in SSBM.

Bou

Smash Rookie
I hope they at least bring him back to what he was in SSB64. Everything they did to him was pretty much disappointing in Melee.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Happy medium.

I say that my idea of what power level each character should be in Smash is this: if the actual characters fought with all their usual abilities from their actual source materials available, who would win?

Pikachu could probably take a good amount of the characters, consider how powerful electricity is, after all. And since pokemon are infamously durable (they can be poisoned, frozen, burned, stomped, clawed, hit by the judgement of god, bitten, beamed, have a bomb blow up in it's face, cut, mentally attacked, psychokinetically manhandled and constricted and the very worst that will happen will be it fainting), Pikachu could probably take most everything sent at him, like a laser beam from Fox or the slash of the Master Sword from Link.

But a average level 100 pikachu could never take on a average level 100 Mewtwo (who, by my "actual power" ratings I.E. abilities outside of Smash, is the second most powerful character in Melee, despite the fact he is actually low to bottom tier), and he certainly wouldn't always defeat, say, Mario in a fight. So I say Pikachu should be a somewhat above-average character.

True Fool

Smash Ace
Cram him in the high-mid(you know, C.Falcon and ICs).

I didn't like him when he was top-tier, invisible hit-boxes FTL. But he doesn't deserve to be a rangless weak character.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Tiers are a waste of my time, as they are glorified favorite lists for the people who composed them and have no real bearing on the outcome of a match.

That said, they need to buff the **** out of the little vermin. He was once the fifth horseman of the Apocalypse (Doomsley McDeathington), and was feared by all mortals, for he was the harbringer of endless destruction. His coming was signalled by lightning raining from the sky like... lightning. But for no reason he was cast out of the heavens and stripped of his powers, forced to play fool for the amusement of oversized, gloved hands or possibly a giant lizard-turtle on steroids. But he will return to his former glory and rule with an Iron Tail. Or at least a paper party hat.

Seriously though, I'd prefer that he go back to his N64 days. His throws were the stuff of legend.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow

That said, they need to buff the **** out of the little vermin. He was once the fifth horseman of the Apocalypse (Doomsley McDeathington), and was feared by all mortals, for he was the harbringer of endless destruction. His coming was signalled by lightning raining from the sky like... lightning. But for no reason he was cast out of the heavens and stripped of his powers, forced to play fool for the amusement of oversized, gloved hands or possibly a giant lizard-turtle on steroids. But he will return to his former glory and rule with an Iron Tail. Or at least a paper party hat.
That was beautiful.
Pikachu is looking better this time around.

DNL316

Smash Rookie
Ipersonally say 'over-buff', but thinking within reality, let's just go with happy medium.
=2007=
I actually agree with your 'over buff' theory. Pikachu should definitely be over buffed. My sister is a good pikachu player, but Pikachu had a weak sheild so it could easily be broken. After a while, she got out of the habbit of using it. After that, it was all downhill from there.

Rocketspark

Smash Cadet
I would be happy if Pikachu was at least as good as he was in melee.
I don't really smash competitively, so if pros think he was bad in melee then I guess he should find a happy medium in brawl.
I couldn't imagine Pika being one of the best characters, and I wouldn't want him to be.
I LIKED HIM BEFORE HE WAS COOL.
;-;

Red&Silver

Smash Journeyman
i hope he is 1 of the best like he was in smb64 i mean he has always been my main T-T
even though im not a super pro like the people on youtube and stuff i think im good with him

meep FTA

Smash Journeyman
hey cancel,,,,u have no more room for PM's!!! i cant message u. message me and let me know if u are up to going to san jose

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I hope he is one of the best pokemon, he is an icon in the series.

And I hope that they make him fairly decent compared to the other characters to, but more at a happy medium

Return his u-air from melee and make it do more damage I say!

Rocketspark

Smash Cadet
I don't think Pichu will be in this game.
You can kinda tell by how Pikachu's new goggles resemble Pichu's too much.
Not to mention the two were exactly the same (MOSTLY) and Sakurai said some characters would be taken out. So he combined the two's strong points resulting in a somewhat buffed Pikachu and called it a day.
In my opinion, Pichu, Dr. Mario, and Young Link will be taken out for sure.
Roy and Falco, possibly, as well.

Kokaloo

Smash Apprentice
Pikachu is fun to play with in Melee,
Even competitively.
I hope he's still the same in Brawl,
And it seems like he is except maybe he'll play a bit better this time around.​

heypancho

Smash Apprentice
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... I miss Pichu u_u.

But really, Pikachu should really get a bufffffff. He/she should be a pokemon rep worth repping o_o. He needs a fsmash like Pichu... .. Pichu u_u.

What's going to happen to Pichu's taunts :O!

Edit: yeah i didn't read T0mmy's review. Pichu is Pikachu :)

automirage04

Smash Rookie
Due to his popularity, I think pika should be top tier.

Also, I want Pichu out and Raichu in.

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
But a average level 100 pikachu could never take on a average level 100 Mewtwo (who, by my "actual power" ratings I.E. abilities outside of Smash, is the second most powerful character in Melee, despite the fact he is actually low to bottom tier), and he certainly wouldn't always defeat, say, Mario in a fight. So I say Pikachu should be a somewhat above-average character.
Who's the first? Is there a list?
That sounds fun!

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Tiers are a waste of my time, as they are glorified favorite lists for the people who composed them and have no real bearing on the outcome of a match.

Seriously though, I'd prefer that he go back to his N64 days. His throws were the stuff of legend.
You sounded so gothic about halfway through there. Anti-depressants FTW.

Nice use of imagry otherwise. :p

Uchiha.Sanosuke

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu needs to be buffed up. The Melee Pikachu was good, but I think the mouse in general needs a much higher spot on the tier list.

Yup.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Why can't ALL chars be happy medium???
I think the game would be less interesting if characters didn't have strengths and weaknesses, but if you're refering to balance, then I see your point. It does get annoying when one or two characters do all the winning. However, I feel that Pika was unnecessarily weakened in Melee, so I still hope they buff him a bit.

You sounded so gothic about halfway through there. Anti-depressants FTW.

Nice use of imagry otherwise. :p
Oh goodness. Satire makes me sound gothic? Perhaps I should make a note of that. :dizzy:

ANBUmax

Smash Cadet
Happy medium.

I say that my idea of what power level each character should be in Smash is this: if the actual characters fought with all their usual abilities from their actual source materials available, who would win?

Pikachu could probably take a good amount of the characters, consider how powerful electricity is, after all. And since pokemon are infamously durable (they can be poisoned, frozen, burned, stomped, clawed, hit by the judgement of god, bitten, beamed, have a bomb blow up in it's face, cut, mentally attacked, psychokinetically manhandled and constricted and the very worst that will happen will be it fainting), Pikachu could probably take most everything sent at him, like a laser beam from Fox or the slash of the Master Sword from Link.
well then C. falcon is completely out.. falcon punch/kick is only in smash not in any f-zero game..

Top Bottom