• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bthrow to Fthrow?

Asa

Smash Hero
I've noticed that at lower percents you can usually regrab the opponent after a bthrow due to its low knockback. Most people do not expect it either so they may DI wrong. Does anyone else use this?

Levitas

the moon
welcome to smashboards ^_^

I find that my opponents DI to get away from me at low percents, but if you can get it to work, that's great. the nice thing about that is you'll almost certainly hit your opponent 10 times between the bthrow and when you want to kill, so it won't be decayed when you do want to use it for a KO.

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
The window of escape is rather large for it to be a reliable thing to do. Pending on the opponent, it's easier or harder. I think the window of opportunity is a bit too large for me to use reliably, though it's interesting to set up something like that just to mess with their minds.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Well, the decay will only matter if you havent hit with another 9 moves before you try to KO them Shaky. Certainly you'll hit them at least 9 times before they reach a reasonable KO percent for bthrow (120ish) meaning the bthrow will be just as fresh as you started.

Shaky

Smash Ace
Not necessarily.

EDIT: Depends on what percent your opponent is . I would not use bthrow (other than killing) after the opponent is 30%, also bthrow even kills some characters at 90% if close to the ledge.

Levitas

the moon
Not necessarily.

EDIT: Depends on what percent your opponent is . I would not use bthrow (other than killing) after the opponent is 30%, also bthrow even kills some characters at 90% if close to the ledge.
As long as you don't do it when it would be a bad idea, it's not a bad idea.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I only attempt b-throw kills at 120-ish (some character I go for earlier but this is the number I generally go for). I like using u-throw at low percents to set up pkt juggling.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I usually use a bthrow @ low % to try setting up an early spike

It works, but it's situational most of the time. I remember doing this before. I do believe you've done this to me before, too. :laugh:

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
Well, the decay will only matter if you havent hit with another 9 moves before you try to KO them Shaky. Certainly you'll hit them at least 9 times before they reach a reasonable KO percent for bthrow (120ish) meaning the bthrow will be just as fresh as you started.
Wait a minute, I thought you only had to hit them ONCE before you use another B-Throw.

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
Idk about using other throws, but I do occasionally bthrow early on to set up some bairs or nairs if possible. depends if the opponent di's correctly or not, since they may be expecting the fthrow or dthrow.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I've strung attacks out of Ness's throws, but I do not believe I have ever made a real combo out of them.

I don't really use b-throw that much anyway. It's not getting used until about 10% later than most people use it (so about 130% for someone like... say, Wolf, 145% for Ike, etc), which amounts to an aerial or just pummeling (which is also why I pummel a lot, and anyone who has played any of my characters knows this). I do this because I want to make sure I can get it in one throw.

I also do this because one syndrome that people tend to get when fighting Ness is an automatic death at a certain %, which I don't always go for the b-throw when the time comes up because Ness players tend to want to grab a ton more and end up not getting it for a long time, if at all, and players tend to expect a grab when I just kill with something else.

B-throw is a reliable killing move, but if you start to rely on it to cap off stocks (while not being exceptional at grabbing an opponent), you're probably not going to get the throw very often.

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
Many of my friends used to believe bthrow was Ness's only reliable way to get kills. I've shown them otherwise. I get alot of my kills with bair, bat, uair, and sometimes nair. I only go for the bthrow kill if I get the chance.

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
If I happen to grab them I use it, otherwise I usually kill with some sort of gimp, nair or uair. moderately bair, and hardly ever fsmash. (darn tippers still not ko'ing certain opponents) >:[

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I like using empty short hops to trick my opponent into airdodging or jumping away and punishing it.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Bair, uair, dair (both sourspotted and sweetened) are very good KOs. If you're a PKT artist, then you have PKT2 also.

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
I use the b-throw for Ko's only too, but it's just not as fulfilling to kill with it. it's great for a revenge ko if your opponent killed you while they were at a high percent, but otherwise i'd rather pilar spike, fire bat, headbut, nair, or bair them
No love for PKT2?:(

Yeah, revenge KOs are great. Those 2 seconds of invincibility are all you need.
I'm not sure why people never use fire B-throw.:confused:

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
No love for PKT2?:(

Yeah, revenge KOs are great. Those 2 seconds of invincibility are all you need.
I'm not sure why people never use fire B-throw.:confused:
PK Fire is easy to escape at high %s.

I can never revenge KO someone. They are always too far away from me or they just roll roll roll 'til I'm vulnerable. :urg:

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
PK Fire is easy to escape at high %s.
Wow, I didn't even think of that:psycho:

I've been playing Ness for a while, but not a single thing I've said or asked in this topic was intelligent. As stupid as I must sound, I promise IRL I'm not an idiot.

Mostly.

Lizard

Smash Ace
Good to try out. Bthrow is not the only way to kill, and it should be powerfull enough to kills by the time it's needed.

Top Bottom