• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breath of the Wild Link in Smash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The only thing that came close to annoying me in Breath of the Wild is the rain, especially since it seems to like to happen whenever I want to climb something.

Like really, even the weapon durability thing wasn't as much of a nuisance for me as having to wait at the middle of a mountain I was climbing just for the rain to subside imo....

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
ThatsBullocks ThatsBullocks : I considered those options as well but then I remembered what happened to Smash 4 and SS (which would have been less work for Sheik and Ganondorf at the time) and I'd rather have the TP designs instead of that were the case. I still want the "Falcondorf" moveset gone permanently, though.
Again, with Sheik the outfit's already there. The only one who'd need a new design is Ganondorf. I really just don't want TP designs again because they're over a decade old and ignoring BotW would be ignoring TWO major Zelda games plus one spinoff with completely acceptable designs.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Kenith Kenith : Well, many people don't care about the game's placement in the timeline but I kinda do. It's too vague at the moment. Remember, those were my opinions, none of the music was memorable to me either, even the Hyrule Castle one. "Worth mentioning" is highly subjective, again, they're nothing but my opinions on the matter. They matter to me.

ThatsBullocks ThatsBullocks : New concept art of Sheik to serve as base and a new model would still have to be made based on that reference. Same for any new concept for a new Ganondorf. As for the TP designs being pretty old, yes, I agree on that but aside from HW, those four have never been in a mainline Zelda game together since OoT.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
SPOILERS AHEAD
If they wanted to make Zelda based off of BotW, they could repurpose the Champion Abilities to stand in for her goddess powers (Daruk's Protection for Nayru's Love, Urbosa's Fury for Din's Fire, Revali's Gale for Farore's Wind). Their function wouldn't be entirely faithful to BotW but the goddess powers weren't entirely faithful to OoT either, so that's not a problem. Her outfit can be based on her blue dress from the first Memory. Final Smash should be changed to some sort of Triforce beam (but still function kind of like her original FS).
This is great. I knew I wanted that dress design of Zelda in Smash (does anyone know if there's a full body shot of her in it?) but I didn't think anyone else remembered it.
the Champion abilities replacing the OOT spells is a great idea I can't believe I never thought of. Having Urbosa's Fury as a lightning bolt instead of a fireball is especially appealing to me.
Most likely we'd get the "adventurer" costume of Zelda first but I think the cutscene dress fits better.
For BotW Link, moveset would mostly be the same as Smash standard; maybe make his default Boomerang Gale-less but keep that as a Custom and make the Remote functionality of Bombs another Custom (making them automatic detonation by default). He'd also have to snag a Hookshot/Clawshot from a previous Link, but if Zelda can have a Phantom than stealing a Hookshot should be fine for Link. Outfit should be the Tunic of the Wild as default with the Champion's Tunic + recolors being an alternate.
Agree completely with all of this - except for the Tunic of the Wild part. If they're adding BOTW Link, they're going to make the Champion's tunic the default, no question. I doubt ToTW would even be in at all. All the Zelda cast would probably have their TP/OOT versions as their alts instead.
(Also, wouldn't it be cool if Link had a custom-made ancient Sheikah Hookshot?)
Sheik's easy; just keep her moveset the same as before. As someone already suggested, outfit can be the Stealth set but with the Sheik Hood (and her Brawl/4 braided ponytail). Done. Borrow my Zelda Triforce Beam FS.
*Gives thumbs up*
Ganondorf's moveset should still stay rooted in its Falcondorf ways, but be spiced up more (replace his Up-B with a "warp" type jump, turn his default Warlock Punch into something like the Sword-based Custom from Smash 4, etc); Final Smash would work the same but be replaced by Calamity Ganon. However, he's in a terribly awkward position for design. TP would be boring, but he has no design in BotW. I'm thinking something kinda like HW's design (mainly with having a giant red mane/shock of hair, which the Ganon forms in BotW also have) but less colorful and clean-cut... alternatively, I'd love to see something akin to his TP concept art.
I think Ganondorf and Sheik should have original designs based on BOTW, like Sheik was in Brawl. I want to see Ganondorf especially as the Gerudos in BOTW look very cool.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just want to say that if they gonna make the main line Zelda cast as celshaded characters, Toon Link might cease to excist. :4tlink::urg:

I think they'll keep the contrasts between current Link and Toon Link. Am pretty sure they are not going to ditch Toon Link anymore, seeing he (against expectations) made the cut to Smash 4. Surely they won't cut a 2 time veteran anymore? Not unless your name is Ice Climbers anyway. :popo: I still say good ridiance till this day. Cancerious eskimos they....

Now I do want to see some damn changes in the Zelda roster already. Most characters had disfunctional movesets, and the powergap between Sheik and Zelda has never been greater than in Smash 4 (whilst it was already a HUGE balance problem prior of them splitting up), and Captain Falcondorf I dislike so much I wouldn't even mind seeing him gone completely now.

No honestly, I'd take a dude like Demise with a moveset coming straight from Skyward Sword over that damn thing that is supposedly representing Ganondorf in Smash Bros.

The Zelda cast needs a major change. And I welcome pretty much anything.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
frankly i dont it really matters which design they use for the loz gang in smash they do seem to like to stick with older games (at least when it comes to music) but new designs would be nice and it would be good in ganon had his own moveset (but i doubt sakurai will do it) really they don't to have the design from the same game we could have botw link and zelda and tp ganon until he appears in a main series game again

The only thing that came close to annoying me in Breath of the Wild is the rain, especially since it seems to like to happen whenever I want to climb something.

Like really, even the weapon durability thing wasn't as much of a nuisance for me as having to wait at the middle of a mountain I was climbing just for the rain to subside imo....
that is very annoying

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
frankly i dont it really matters which design they use for the loz gang in smash they do seem to like to stick with older games (at least when it comes to music) but new designs would be nice and it would be good in ganon had his own moveset (but i doubt sakurai will do it) really they don't to have the design from the same game we could have botw link and zelda and tp ganon until he appears in a main series game again
Sakurai throws in the Tri-force trio plus Sheik as a set. Having updated versions of Link and Zelda while Ganondorf keeping the old design would make him and Sheik feel out of place. Why do you think they didn't do this for the Skyward Sword versions of Link and Zelda despite those being more recent at the time? Demise is a different character and the closest thing to Sheik in SS would have been Impa. Why going through all the trouble of making 2 new designs when the four of them have newer designs readily available? Only time and Sakurai will tell.

Regarding BotW Link's usage of bombs: How about having them go off remotely like he does in the game? Fire attacks and Wario Waft would still set them off, though.

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
Agree completely with all of this - except for the Tunic of the Wild part. If they're adding BOTW Link, they're going to make the Champion's tunic the default, no question. I doubt ToTW would even be in at all. All the Zelda cast would probably have their TP/OOT versions as their alts instead.
(Also, wouldn't it be cool if Link had a custom-made ancient Sheikah Hookshot?)
The TriFour characters in Smash are complicated - on the surface, the character designs are based on one particular game (for Brawl/Smash 4 it's TP), but then they also represent Zelda as a whole (that's why Link gets a Fairy Taunt, Zelda gets her OoT powers and a Phantom, why Sheik even still exists, etc). With that in mind, I feel confident that a green Tunic Link would take the forefront since that's, overall, the "look" of Link.

I'm just a bit biased though, since I really dislike the Champion's Tunic design.

(Though OoT alt costumes would be fine with me too. :3)

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Actually I think this could work as a means to please most.

Let's say they retain the TP designs again, but include OOT alts for all 4, plus SS/BOTW for just Link and Zelda. The primary designs would still match, and people that want the new designs would still get them.

Sure, Ganondorf and Sheik would be short 2 costumes, but they don't necessarily need to have an even amount of alts. No Smash has ever featured an even amount of costumes per character anyways.

Only issue now is the fact that costumes never seem to be a priority.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sakurai throws in the Tri-force trio plus Sheik as a set. Having updated versions of Link and Zelda while Ganondorf keeping the old design would make him and Sheik feel out of place. Why do you think they didn't do this for the Skyward Sword versions of Link and Zelda despite those being more recent at the time? Demise is a different character and the closest thing to Sheik in SS would have been Impa. Why going through all the trouble of making 2 new designs when the four of them have newer designs readily available? Only time and Sakurai will tell.
just my personal opinion i dont think it matters that they all have a design from the same game

and by the same logic your using why was toon link based off of the wind waker as opposed to spirit tracks? i doubt there really is a reason sakurai's just set thing's up a certain way and doesnt like to change to much

we could be waiting a long time for and new ganondorf look nintendo may just stick with ganon

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
User was warned for this post
AwesomeAussie27 AwesomeAussie27 : Here goes my little rant of sorts...unpopular opinions incoming:

- Breakable weapons and going through several menu windows for items and other weapons.
- "Open world" has never been my thing. I never found the previous "sidekicks" such as Navi, Midna or Fi annoying.
- No memorable "music". It's boring.
- Map is big for the sake of being big.
- "Story" is terrible.
- Ganon
was basically turned into a rage-quitter.
- This incarnation of Zelda is terrible. SS Zelda is still the best incarnation.
- No memorable boss battles.
- Placement of this game in the timeline is kinda vague.
- Final battle is lacking.
- No memorable villain like Zant, Aghanim, Vaati or Ghirahim.
- Master Sword is basically in its weakest state ever. It's for the sake of balance in the game but it still feels bad.
- Too many shrines. It feels like a chore if you try to do all of them.
- English voice acting is...pretty bad for the most part, especially Zelda. To quote your Ephraim avatar: "Disgusting"

Good grief, that was longer than I expected. Anyway, it's not my cup of tea but like I mentioned before, this incarnation of Link has its merits and stands out from other incarnations. The ones closest to it in variety would be HW Link and the Link from Tri-force Heroes.

Good things about this game: Paya and...cooking.

- Only reasons I even play it anymore.
It's clear you highly dislike this game. But I will refute you on the music.

Take a close listen:

I get that the open world has little in the way of music outside of random piano strings, but that's fine, because you don't want the LoZ main theme playing 100% of the time anyway. Also I'd say the Lynel fights are the most difficult of any Zelda game to ever exist, and the Ganon Blights also really test your abilities you've used up to the point of facing them. As for the story, I never really cared about LoZ characters until this game. I think telling the story through flashbacks was a genius idea that has it take a backseat to gameplay while being there for people to seek out. BotW's Ganon is also the most fearsome and deadly of any Zelda incarnation of him. I admit Phase 2 of the fight was kind of a letdown, but it felt more like a reward for being able to fight through Phase 1.

Also this is probably the single most fleshed out open world game, only being beaten by the Grand Theft Auto series. Every nook and cranny of the game has something to do, with some pretty well designed puzzles and nail biting encounters. Play a Ubisoft game if you want game worlds that are big for the sake of being big.

As for "getting rid of" Toon Link just because the main 3(4) have a more cel shaded look doesn't add up to me. They have completely different designs. Plus, if big Link used the Champion's Tunic, then Toon Link will still represent the more traditional Hero's Tunic. Toon Link fits in fighting the likes of Mario and Kirby more so than Ganondorf.

They don't really have to update Sheik or Ganondorf. They could just give the BotW looks as alts to Link and Zelda. The Sheikah Stealth armor you can get in BotW would work perfectly for Sheik, however. Ganondorf they'd have to get creative. It wouldn't be the first time a character was given a "made for Smash" look. Just look at Pit! His Brawl look inspired a new game!

Edit: I apologize for the double post. Haven't posted anywhere else but the Bandana Brigade group for a while and completely forgotten that was a no-no. I'll make sure to edit in the future.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't think they would remove Toon Link on the sole basis that the other four Zelda characters would potentially get a more cell shaded design. Sure, a part of Toon Link's appeal is his more cartoony appearance which gets reflected on that in terms of his moveset and overall behaviour, but even that is far different from how Link and Zelda behave and look in Breath of the Wild. Especially since they will most likely reflect their design's more on whatever art style Smash goes with next.

I feel like Toon Link, as with Sheik, are in a spot of their own, especially since their both recurring and popular veterans at this point. Whatever happens with the main triforce trio, the two will stick around eitherway and maybe adapt to any changes that are going on around them if they have to. The only thing I can see being the reason of why Toon Link would be cut is if time constraints happened and he was low priority again.

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Toon Link is fine as he is and I don't see him being cut anytime soon. He also represents the other Links that share his peculiar art style. I'd like him to have more of the WW stuff like the Deku Leaf and the Hook but that seems unlikely.

dangeraaron10 dangeraaron10 : Don't waste your time. My mind is set. The game failed to win me over.

fogbadge fogbadge : You may think that way but Sakurai seems to think otherwise. He didn't do it for Skyward Sword and I don't see him doing it for Breath of the Wild due to "relevance" or BotW fans. The Zelda reps aside from Toon Link have a unified theme to them. Just updating Link and Zelda breaks that unity and going through extra work to make up new designs for Sheik and Ganondorf so they wouldn't feel left out feels unnecessary especially when the Zelda series isn't really that hot in Japan. The Hyrule Warriors designs for the four of them carry that unified theme and they're great designs with 3D models already made for them. Also, WW Toon Link is the first and most iconic incarnation of these chibi Links.

Anyway, we're going off topic again. Remote bombs...are you people cool with that?

- Down B once: Pull out Bomb.
- Down B a second time: Detonate Bomb
- Link would have only one bomb out at a time. If he wants another bomb, he has to detonate the one that's already out.
- Bomb can be grabbed and even attacked but it won't detonate unless it's affected by fire or the Wario Waft.
If a bomb is left alone for a certain amount of time, it'll vanish.
- Bomb can be detonated if an opponent has grabbed the bomb. It's all about mind games with these bombs.

...I basically turned BotW Link into Kira Yoshikage with that bomb setup and...I'm pretty happy with that.

He was after Paya's hands all along...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
fogbadge fogbadge : You may think that way but Sakurai seems to think otherwise. He didn't do it for Skyward Sword and I don't see him doing it for Breath of the Wild due to "relevance" or BotW fans. The Zelda reps aside from Toon Link have a unified theme to them. Just updating Link and Zelda breaks that unity and going through extra work to make up new designs for Sheik and Ganondorf so they wouldn't feel left out feels unnecessary especially when the Zelda series isn't really that hot in Japan. The Hyrule Warriors designs for the four of them carry that unified theme and they're great designs with 3D models already made for them. Also, WW Toon Link is the first and most iconic incarnation of these chibi Links.
i never claimed sakurai thought like that i said i didnt think it matter that they were all the same quit getting so worked up

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
I think you misunderstood. I never said anything about you claiming that Sakurai thinks like you. You just said that you don't think that the unified theme matters. I was just stating my thoughts on the matter, never on emotion.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think you misunderstood. I never said anything about you claiming that Sakurai thinks like you. You just said that you don't think that the unified theme matters. I was just stating my thoughts on the matter, never on emotion.
well what ever doesnt really matter in the long run

anyway on the subject of specials it think remote bombs would be to similar to regular link perhaps if botw link is to be his own character he'd should have very different specials

how bout revali's gale as up special, cryoniss as down special and urbossa's fury as neutral special not sure about side

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
This may have already been said, but Robin already has a decent smash blueprint for a character who has varying weapon durability.

Except the master sword, which he'd undoubtedly use...

So maybe a B move to switch to the breakable weapons, clubs and spears?

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
He'd be more of a more unpredictable Robin with breakable weapons being his main gimmick and quickly pulling a random one from a set variety of classes in rotation (sword/club > axe > spear > club) with each one having a cooldown period when they break or by Link throwing them. Throw them all and Link will be rendered helpless for a bit. Specials based on Sage abilities would be a nice change but this Link is much more brawn over brains person to me.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
dangeraaron10 dangeraaron10 : Don't waste your time. My mind is set. The game failed to win me over.
Then perhaps we should look at what Breath of the Wild means to Nintendo and the series as a whole in terms of what it has accomplished. Also why it's different from Skyward Sword. SS was a pretty divisive game in terms of mainline Zeldas, and although it got a stage in Smash 4, the characters retained their Twilight Princess look. BotW, on the other hand, is the highest rated Zelda second only to OoT. This is the first Zelda that Nintendo is looking to expand, as opposed to surpass. I do believe this is a new direction for the Zelda series, in addition to being the flagship launch title that helped give the Switch the success it needed.

Now considering this I would find it strange that the game is acknowledged only by maybe a stage and a piece of music or two. We already seen in several characters (Cloud, Corrin, Robin, Bayonetta, Wario, Bowser Jr., Olimar, etc.) where they don't have mere palette swaps of their original looks, but had completely different looking costumes as well. I'd say that, minus the traffic cone cap that Link is known to wear, Link's BotW look (without hat, Champion's Tunic, Hylian Pants, and BotW weaponry) isn't all that different in terms of size and structure. I think it'd be more than reasonable to have a faithful costume representing it, and I don't feel if the BotW look has any sort of merit if you think that it deserves only a light blue palette swap of the Twilight Princess look. I feel it's time to move on from TP.

For Zelda, I feel the same way about her. She has three different outfits in BotW and one of them is similar to the dress she already wears in Smash, but since the dress itself has nothing in the way of hit and hurt boxes, I don't see why her more marketed riding gear wouldn't work either. So long as the base animation rig stays the same. That way they could both co-exist with the current iterations despite the fact that I would prefer them outright replacing the TP versions of themselves.

And that's setting aside my love of the game and looking at what it not only means to Zelda but to Nintendo and the Switch.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't exactly like the idea of Link having weapon durability limits, since that seems like something that should be unique to Robin alone.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
dangeraaron10 dangeraaron10 : Stop. I don't care how Nintendo "sees" the game nor what BotW fans think about the game itself. The point still stands that there are no Ganondorf nor Sheik counterparts and only updating Link and Zelda would break the unity the current TP set has with the Triforce Trio and making original designs for Ganondorf and Sheik so they wouldn't feel left out feels like a waste of time and effort to me when there is an updated, more battle-ready set readily available along with new amiibo sale possibilities in the form of the HW designs. The TP designs, while old, they're still available too. Nintendo only truly cares about how much money is it printing. We're going off topic again, this is about BotW Link himself and his potential as a unique Smash fighter.

Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy : His weapons would work differently from Robin. BotW Link would be far more unpredictable with his weapon pulls which kinda matches the game mechanics in BotW. Definitely not beginner-friendly. He'd be all about adaptability and mind games with his remote bomb.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Wow, I never knew people actually took a separate Breath of the Wild Link seriously.

Jokes aside, they should probably have one of the many weapons as items. I for one would love the Korok Leaf, an item that's been strangely ignored from Smash since Wind Waker.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The TriFour characters in Smash are complicated - on the surface, the character designs are based on one particular game (for Brawl/Smash 4 it's TP), but then they also represent Zelda as a whole (that's why Link gets a Fairy Taunt, Zelda gets her OoT powers and a Phantom, why Sheik even still exists, etc). With that in mind, I feel confident that a green Tunic Link would take the forefront since that's, overall, the "look" of Link.

I'm just a bit biased though, since I really dislike the Champion's Tunic design.

I'm late but anyways:
The thing is, we're talking about changing Link to reflect BOTW. The "Tunic of the Wild" is an endgame bonus that's not connected to the story. It's like making Toon Link's default the Outset clothes. It's not his "look" in the game, not the one on the boxart, not the one in the trailers, etc. That's Champion's Tunic.

So no, I don't think that the TOTW would happen at all. Maybe as the secondary costume, but definitely not the main one. I would definitely like having OOT Link be the secondary costume but I think they'll continue to use TP since that is the "main" Link design, having been used in promotional materials and only being slightly altered for SS.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Wow, I never knew people actually took a separate Breath of the Wild Link seriously.

Jokes aside, they should probably have one of the many weapons as items. I for one would love the Korok Leaf, an item that's been strangely ignored from Smash since Wind Waker.
perhaps it could work as a side special which pushes enemies back without damaging them like fludd

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
I'm late but anyways:
The thing is, we're talking about changing Link to reflect BOTW. The "Tunic of the Wild" is an endgame bonus that's not connected to the story. It's like making Toon Link's default the Outset clothes. It's not his "look" in the game, not the one on the boxart, not the one in the trailers, etc. That's Champion's Tunic.

So no, I don't think that the TOTW would happen at all. Maybe as the secondary costume, but definitely not the main one. I would definitely like having OOT Link be the secondary costume but I think they'll continue to use TP since that is the "main" Link design, having been used in promotional materials and only being slightly altered for SS.
That would be unfortunate. I really don't like TP's design for Ganondorf, plus it's so weird for TP to have become the "core baseline" to represent Zelda.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
dangeraaron10 dangeraaron10 : Stop. I don't care how Nintendo "sees" the game nor what BotW fans think about the game itself. The point still stands that there are no Ganondorf nor Sheik counterparts and only updating Link and Zelda would break the unity the current TP set has with the Triforce Trio and making original designs for Ganondorf and Sheik so they wouldn't feel left out feels like a waste of time and effort to me when there is an updated, more battle-ready set readily available along with new amiibo sale possibilities in the form of the HW designs. The TP designs, while old, they're still available too. Nintendo only truly cares about how much money is it printing. We're going off topic again, this is about BotW Link himself and his potential as a unique Smash fighter.

Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy : His weapons would work differently from Robin. BotW Link would be far more unpredictable with his weapon pulls which kinda matches the game mechanics in BotW. Definitely not beginner-friendly. He'd be all about adaptability and mind games with his remote bomb.
There really doesn't have to be. Patterns really mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. That "Unity" is completely meaningless since Sheik being updated to suit the others was fine. No need to be so defensive or passive aggressive about it. In addition to that, my angle was that the original TP looks for Zelda and Link could co-exist. I highly, highly doubt Sakurai would use spin-off looks (Hyrule Warriors, in this case) for Super Smash Bros.

And if Sakurai himself cared about printing money, he'd make Ridley playable and as paid DLC regardless of whether or not the character would "feel right" because he knew it'd sell decently. He wouldn't have originally attempted to stop at Mewtwo, and he wouldn't have stopped at Bayonetta.

There is a possibility to redesign Sheik and it's not out of the question to give Ganondorf a look that reflected a cross between the BotW Gerudo or Calamity Ganon himself. But then again, they don't need cohesion if the current iterations of Link and Zelda existed. Just giving the two characters alts in the vain of Cloud's Advent Children gear would make all parties happy without having to face backlash of a third Link (that isn't Wolf Link).

Edit: Lastly, according to Sakurai when he was questioned about the amount of clone characters in previous games he had, and do correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it was Melee, that the time it takes to make one unique character, you can make six clones. I can imagine you'd be able to make seven or eight "alts" in that time. I don't feel giving Smash 4 Ganondorf and Smash 4 Sheik the "Brawl Sheik Treatment" would be wasted effort when it takes much more effort to create Link #3 (along with a semi-unique breakable weapon system), which would absolutely bring backlash and defeat the purpose of cross promoting the Switch's flagship game that is to be expanded upon with Season Pass DLC.

Don't get me wrong, I do think your ideas are great, but only if it replaces our current iteration of Link. I just can't justify 3 Links (unless it's Wolf Link, because he's a package deal with Midna and he's a cute doggo) despite my love of BotW.

And personally, I think the Champions (Mipha, Daruk, Revali, and Urbosa) would be amazing for Assist Trophies. Imagine getting Mipha's Grace (heals you like a Heart Container), Daruk's Protection (a shield that will block and counter a single attack), Revali's Gale (increased jump height and slow fall), and Urbosa's Fury (strikes all enemies in range with lightning). That way the Champions can be represented without the need to give them to Link or Zelda (though I'd love to see either/or get them if they were to be updated).

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
dangeraaron10 dangeraaron10 : We'll never come to an agreement. Pretty much dissing "spin-offs" when the fact is that Sakurai looks at spin-offs for reference for certain characters like Peach and the many Mario spin-off trophies, among other things. There will always be backlash whenever a developer does or doesn't do anything: it's inevitable. He already expressed what he thinks of Ridley and he wouldn't be as much of a money printer as the Ridley fans would love to think. Metroid is dead is Japan. I will stand by this: TP designs will be used again or the HW designs will be used while BotW gets a stage, music and some trophies. Maybe some new blue alts for Link and Zelda. Basically SS all over again.

As for the Champions, I can see them as Assist Trophies or as stage hazards for a BotW stage.

A third Link is fine as long as he's unique, at least to me. People jump to the clone bandwagon way too quickly with this fanbase. Hyrule Warriors has several Links and they all play differently from each other. The problem here is Sakurai's "fondness" for cloning.

Last edited:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
I would much rather they make original designs than use the Hyrule Warrior ones, I just doesn't like or want those designs
That would be unfortunate. I really don't like TP's design for Ganondorf, plus it's so weird for TP to have become the "core baseline" to represent Zelda.
It's mostly because it's the 3D zeldas that sets that baseline, but TP was the last with standard Zelda design.
And it's pretty clear that at least in smash that Link & Zelda is not really supposed to be a specific one. So while replacing Link's TP design with the SS one wouldn't be that weird, Zelda's Skyward Sword design was non-standard (wasn't even a princess) and just doesn't work as a "generic zelda" design.
But SS/BotW Link & Zelda still really should be alts at least.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Breath of the Wild does have a standard design for Link and Zelda though. It's just Ganondorf and Sheik that don't really appear in Breath of the Wild and thus don't really have a design of their own to draw from.

I guess Sakurai can always do like what he did for Sheik in Brawl and just request a BotW style Ganondorf design for Smash (And Sheik if he's that bend on keeping her in line with the triforce trio even though she no longer really needs to imo).

The more recognizable champion's clothing can be alts or vice versa though.

Assuming he would do so though, I think they will stick with the TP design's and have the BotW clothes as pallet swaps again....

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ideally we'd have multiple incarnations of link as alts, but i doubt sakurai will change from well established ones

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Skyward Sword's Zelda wouldn't have fit Smash Zelda's concept very well. That is one of the main reasons they didn't make her the Zelda in Smash 4.
Breath of the Wild does have a standard design for Link and Zelda though. It's just Ganondorf and Sheik that don't really appear in Breath of the Wild and thus don't really have a design of their own to draw from.

I guess Sakurai can always do like what he did for Sheik in Brawl and just request a BotW style Ganondorf design for Smash (And Sheik if he's that bend on keeping her in line with the triforce trio even though she no longer really needs to imo).

The more recognizable champion's clothing can be alts or vice versa though.

Assuming he would do so though, I think they will stick with the TP design's and have the BotW clothes as pallet swaps again....
Again? There were BOTW alts in Smash 4? :p
Honestly, I agree about Sheik. I'd prefer she's just using the OOT design instead of having a new one.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
It is what it is. The Twilight Princess designs have sustained for over a decade because they're popular.
Hence why TP HD exists.

Sharkarat Sharkarat : Making even a single character design is a long and tedious process. So many things have to be checked and re-checked and re-checked again before making a 3D model of it. Some can be incredibly lucky like Demise whose first design was the one that was used in the final game. TP and HW have tried-and-true designs that work well in battle scenarios and are readily available.

So a BotW Link would have his specials with the Champions' abilities while the breakable weapon system would apply to his other attacks, that leaves a Final Smash that isn't the same the others Links have....any ideas on what would be fitting?

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Again? There were BOTW alts in Smash 4? :p
Honestly, I agree about Sheik. I'd prefer she's just using the OOT design instead of having a new one.
With mods yes. :secretkpop:

With again, I meant like what they did with Skyward Sword, using the Twilight Princess design's and giving Link and Zelda a pallet swap that resembles one of the clothes that the Link and Zelda from that game had worn. Except instead of SS its BotW.

And yes, Sheik should just have her canon OoT design again (with the TP design as an alt if they like) instead of being carried along with the Triforce trio now that she no longer is bound with Zelda anymore.

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
With again, I meant like what they did with Skyward Sword,using the Twilight Princess design's and giving Link and Zelda a pallet swap that resembles one of the clothes that Link and Zelda had worn in that game. Except instead of SS its BotW.[/U]
SS Zelda wielding the Wind Waker and crushing foes with it was a sight to behold in Hyrule Warriors.

@ underlined: The most likely scenario for now.

Last edited:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Breath of the Wild does have a standard design for Link and Zelda though.
BotW Zelda lacks most of the reoccuring elements of zelda's design is what i'm refering to. The only zelda she's similar to is one of the AlttP designs.
Sharkarat Sharkarat : Making even a single character design is a long and tedious process. So many things have to be checked and re-checked and re-checked again before making a 3D model of it. Some can be incredibly lucky like Demise whose first design was the one that was used in the final game. TP and HW have tried-and-true designs that work well in battle scenarios and are readily available.
it's mostly that I don't want HW Designs, I have no problem keeping the TP ones. And my ideal original design is really just a mixed non-specific version of the trio taking cues from the different incarnation, which really would mean only small changes to Link & Zelda. Ganondorf would be the only with noticeably different design.
So a BotW Link would have his specials with the Champions' abilities while the breakable weapon system would apply to his other attacks, that leaves a Final Smash that isn't the same the others Links have....any ideas on what would be fitting?
I Haven't played the game, but
what about the attack the champions fire against Ganon at the start of the final battle? That seems pretty fitting.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I Haven't played the game, but
what about the attack the champions fire against Ganon at the start of the final battle? That seems pretty fitting.
All of the yes. Especially with the two minute cut scene every time it happens.
The real Final Smash isn't the laser beam, it's the long-ass wait

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
BotW Zelda lacks most of the reoccuring elements of zelda's design is what i'm refering to. The only zelda she's similar to is one of the AlttP designs.
Sorry, can you elaborate a bit more on that, as I'm not sure what you mean.
She has a traditional royal/princess dress much like any other Zelda in the series (Besides SS Zelda). What's so different about it other than that it's primarily more blue than the pink or white dress she usually wears? Which I think is a first for her....

Last edited:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Sorry, can you elaborate a bit more on that, as I'm not sure what you mean.
She has a traditional royal/princess dress much like any other Zelda in the series. What's so different about it other than that it's primarily more blue than the pink or white dress she usually wears? Which I think is a first for her....
Other than the most obvious blue rather than pink.
  1. She doesn't really have the decorated Apron. Only kinda
  2. Doesn't have the golden neck thing.
  3. Lacks gem in her crown.
  4. Doesn't have the upper body darker than skirt, color distribution. and the fact that chest and stomach is split up.
  5. Type of skirt. Like i said, similar to blue AlttP Design.
Zelda actually have really consistent designs, and BotW Zelda doesn't match it. She has a dress, but it's very specific to her and not a typical Princess Zelda dress. there's nothing directly negative about it, it's just that it's not that fitting for a general zelda which is why i don't think it should be used as main costume in smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom